• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What suppressor would you recommend for .223/5.56 AR?

pell1203

Stay Focused!
Minuteman
  • Dec 27, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Considering picking up a suppressor for a .223/5.56 AR semi-auto. As I am not very familiar with suppressors in general, and much less so with respect to their use on AR style weapons, I was hoping to get recommendations for a few of your favorites AR capable units to research further.

Please consider the following in your suggestions:

1. No need for full-auto, but would like suppressor to handle 50-60 rounds over 5 minutes without risk of damage.
    2. I'd like it to be no more than about 7" in length. A bit shorter would actually be preferable.
    3. Leaning towards a .223/5.56 can for max performance, but willing to go 30 cal for flexibility if performance differences are minimal.
    4. Prefer a quick detach mount system but am not opposed to a direct thread mount (Is there a major benefit of one over another?).
    5. Prefer lighter weight, but understand weight/material/durability trade offs (please recommend what you think is best!).
    6. Suppressor performance and usability trumps overall cost (within reason :))

Appreciate your wisdom and guidance.

The heat question is the one thing that would make me hesitant to recommend the TBAC Ultra series. Before taking the plunge on one, I'd contact TBAC to get their $.02 regarding the can's ability to stand up to the kind of firing schedule that you're talking about.

If TBAC states that that firing schedule is likely to exceed the 800 degree limit that they recommend for their cans, I'd say that a SiCo Omega would be a good option... it's not as light as the Ultra, but there are torture test vids out there of people doing full-auto mag dumps through them without the can failing (though I admit to not knowing if there was any non-catastrophic damage to the can at that point).

Rugged Surge 7.62...modular, can configure in both a short and long configuration, full auto rated, lifetime warranty. Can get it with 5.56 end cap. I love mine

Silencerco Saker or an older Specwar . Both can meet your service needs and both can go down to very short barrels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugged Surge 7.62...modular, can configure in both a short and long configuration, full auto rated, lifetime warranty. Can get it with 5.56 end cap. I love mine
    I agree I love mine as well as the mounting system. I am also waiting on a Rugged Razor, but if weight is a concern definatley check out the TB Ultra series. I just bought an 6.5 Ultra 9 last week along with a 22 Takedown.

I have an Ultra 7 6.5 just starting its jail term which is ultimately destined for my RPR. I also ordered a flash hider mount for my AR so I will get to try the Ultra 7 6.5 on the AR. I will look into the recommended ones further. Appreciate the suggestions!

Also,an LEO friend is interested in picking up a suppressor for himself and I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the previously suggested manufacturers offer a direct LEO discount he could take advantage of?

I would go with a Sig detachable either 556 or 762 they are great performers

Are you putting this on a short barrel rifle or AR pistol? If you think you might, that will be a consideration. I don't have any full auto hosts yet, and won't for years to come, but I try to get full auto rated cans for durability, and the ability to do a few mag dumps if needed/wanted.

Sounds like this will be your first can, and I'm sure once you get it and experience how great they are, you will want more. If weight is a big factor, I would suggest looking at direct thread like a Griffin Armament Spartan 3 or Sig SRD 556. You save 3oz for a muzzle device and those suppressors only weigh about 12oz each, both about 6" and feel right at home on an SBR. Both are less than $500. Just check that they aren't backing off the threads after firing.

The SiCo Omega is very good, though I'd sell the SiCo mounting system and get the Dead Air mount for the Omega and dead air brake. Great and simple system. Dead Air also makes great cans. Excellent tone, maybe a tad heavy at 18oz, but they are built like tanks, and have no barrel length restrictions for 308 and 556.

Griffin Armament M4SDK is another really nice sounding can, built very tough, and has a nice system to lock onto your muzzle device.

I try to keep things simple and avoid buying different end caps to accommodate smaller caliber bullets.

****Make sure to remove any crush washers before attaching a suppressor.****

I still wear ear pro at the range doubled up, unless I'm shooting by myself, then just plugs or muffs, so I don't worry about chasing those last few decibels to squash out, unless I'm building something to be just stupid quiet.

It's mind boggling, all the info and choices. People are posting up good names. Do lots of reading on all of them, watch youtube reviews. I'm sure you will be happy whatever you get.

Scott

I'm sure you will be happy whatever you get.

Scott

It's pretty hard to buy a bad suppressor these days.

For my 0.02, the omega seems really hard to beat for an all around can, and is more than quiet enough on 5.56 from what I've heard. Go direct thread for light and short.

I'm waiting on a thunderbeast ultra 9 which should perform better at the cost of heat tolerance and length, but for my first, I wanted quiet and light above all. May pick up an omega later on, because two is one and all that.

I'd take a look at the Crux line of silencers. I have an older Ark 5.56 that works phenomenally on my 10" 5.56 SBR. I called them a while back asking for ratings (bought it in the group buy about 5 years ago) and I believe they said 7" at full auto is no problem. I also emailed about potentially running a 22-243 Middlestead or 22-250AI through it. They said no problem and I could neck down 300WM to 22cal if I wanted!

Currently they don't appear to offer the Ark in 5.56, but it seems they have a newer model, Saxon, that is supposedly even better. Full auto rated at 5" barrel, quieter, lighter, smaller... It does sound too good to be true, but with how well my Ark has performed, I will reserve judgement before writing them off.

https://cruxsuppressors.com/collecti...n556suppressor

ETA: Be sure to get a cover as well. With my 10" SBR the can gets HOT as in cause-cerakote-topcoat-to-blister hot. A 7" will only be hotter. I've used Armageddon Gear and Burn Proof Gear covers without issue though there are plenty of other offerings.

Last edited:

Also,an LEO friend is interested in picking up a suppressor for himself and I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the previously suggested manufacturers offer a direct LEO discount he could take advantage of?

Any input on which manufacturers/vendors offer an LEO discount? No need to discuss details, just wanting to know who they are so he can personally follow up on the details.

I personally am NOT eligible for LEO discount! Thanks.

Sico Saker for abuse, TBAC for all else. I have AAC cans too, the cans aren't too bad but CS blows and so do the mounts --I got 'em cheap though so can't bitch. Elite makes nice stuff too but I only have their cans in .50 and .338.

The Saker comes in 7.62 and they also offer different mounting solutions and different endcaps including 5.56 endcaps for 7.62 cans. The 7.62 can is a bit longer but I hear they are quieter. The 5.56 can is fairly short and you couldn't ask for a better hard use can.

Short of .22's, where I like Liberty, TBAC and Sico pretty much rule the roost right now IMO/E. Just can't go wrong with 'em.

OpsInc / _Allen Enginering makes good stuff

+1
    Have an Ops Inc 12th Model that has seen time on both a MK12 clone and an M4gery. It has seen a couple 30rd mag dumps without a hitch, and I probably have over 5000rds thru it and it still functions like it did Day 1. The AEM series cans, like their Ops Inc cousins, thread over the end of the barrel and lock in place on a 20deg collar, so they add all but 2.5" of their length to the OAL of the rifle. The muzzle brake they use as an adapter is pretty effective without the can also. Buddy of mine said it was the "loud-ener" part of my silencer rig.

I also have a .223 Tango suppressor from Wells Custom Guns in PA. Mine is the QD version that attaches to an AAC 51T mount, but he also makes a direct-thread version and offers a MIL discount. My Wells Tango has seen a bunch of rounds on an M4gery and a few on my RPR 5.56 also.

No love for the Surefire SOCOM II series cans? They're FA rated so you can run this w/ a bolt gun, M4 & whatever else you've got going on. Pick your caliber of choice & blaze away. These cans are QD capable as well. This suppressor did win the big government contract.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMm8MEbJW_M

Have one, really like it.

Does not have backpressure as many others. POI is very repeatable which is important to me since I remove every trip. Very solid mount as well.

The best option is a Q Trash Panda, or SiCo Omega with Area 419 QD system and flat end cap.

Thunderbeast ultra's are all I have. .223, 6.5 & .30 cal. 2 -7's and one 9".

I have a Griffin armament Recce 5, and recommend it if you're still gonna wear ear pro. It's a K sized can, with mid-large can performance. Taper mount system is GTG.

its only ~14.5oz with mount, but 17-4 so it'll stand whatever abuse you give it. It doesn't have the lowest back pressure, and thus at ear numbers are closer to the 138db range, which is why I still recommend ear pro. 1m left it's still ~133db

if at ear #'s are your only concern the SAS Claymore suppressor is supposedly posting at ear #s ~131db, only 12oz being all titanium, and 8.3" oal, but being a reflex suppressor it won't add much past the muzzle device (the muzzle device will add a bit of length though) I don't own any of their products, nor have I used them, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm just letting you know this product exists.

happy shopping.

I highly recommend the Deadair Sandman in either the S or K configuration. .30 cal can, optional .223 end cap, arguably the best QD mount, amazing CS, no barrel length requirement and full auto rated.

Check out the promotion Silencer Shop has on Q cans right now. If I didn't have 5 cans pending right now I'd buy a Trash Panda and Thunder Chicken.