• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report What the best user friendly ballistics app you guys are using?

Sasuke

Private
Minuteman
I saw that there were threads for various apps. Just wonderin what the consensus is here if there's a phone ballistics calculator app that the majority recommend?

Windage, elevation, humidity, GPS and full of the different load data for various amounts of rounds, even one that has LOT number calculations?

Is there a holy grail app? Or one that you've found to be the most calculatedly correct? :cool:

I saw that there were threads for various apps. Just wonderin what the consensus is here if there's a phone ballistics calculator app that the majority recommend?

Windage, elevation, humidity, GPS and full of the different load data for various amounts of rounds, even one that has LOT number calculations?

Is there a holy grail app? Or one that you've found to be the most calculatedly correct? :cool:

Ballistics AE is the defacto king of the hill phone "app". With that said, I wouldn't put it up there with being the most intuitive to use and there is no user guide that covers all the features, just the web page with suggestions. Very good app but it can be a frustrating learning curve to use.

Istrelok is another good one and a bit easier to use

Shooter is probably the easiest to use but the ease of use seems to come with a reduction in the number of features it has.

All of them are relatively cheap as far as apps go. AE is a bit high but it does have a lot of features so i wouldn't say it's overpriced.

Ballistics AE is the defacto king of the hill phone "app". With that said, I wouldn't put it up there with being the most intuitive to use and there is no user guide that covers all the features, just the web page with suggestions. Very good app but it can be a frustrating learning curve to use.

Istrelok is another good one and a bit easier to use

Shooter is probably the easiest to use but the ease of use seems to come with a reduction in the number of features it has.

All of them are relatively cheap as far as apps go. AE is a bit high but it does have a lot of features so i wouldn't say it's overpriced.

Wow,that looks like some good stuff:

Disclaimer: I am just a local guy shooting local matches and hunting.

I use knights ballistic and it has done very well for me. I used it in a class at K&M and it was dead on to 900.
Good features, easy to use, not overcomplicated;

I am also using Streloc for a comparison. Firing solution is a little more basic but I like how I can switch between rifles and it stays with that rifle data until I switch it.
I do like how it creates a baseline with 100 yd. zero conditions. It also allows for temp/powder sensitivity variability.

I am building data in Streloc and continue to compare over time. It is usually really close to ballistic.

Insipe has the best GUI. Ballistic is the most accurate and is related to JBM - Calculations Shooter takes some variables a step further. I'm going to try out Streloc based on StockDog's description.

What the best user friendly ballistics app you guys are using?

Strelok.

I use it when I don't have my Nomad running FFS.

I think it's worth defining "ease of use"

My point is, if you want features, then take the time to learn the software usage since there is no free lunch. All apps have basically the same inputs (some have more) so, what defines one as easier than the other one?

I also think there is a limit to "easiness"

And the true accurate, the ones most use on ELR engagements, are still available on PDA only, maybe that change in the future. Same goes for a true tactical-ready package, since no of the apps qualify as such,

Price wise, I really don't care, since what I look after is accuracy, features and robustness.

Not to sound condescending, every single app will only calculate a firing solution based on your input (like is the input wind direction or origin). Garbage in, Garbage out. Spin drift, Coriolis Effect, powder temperature, and Humidity may be considered extra features but you don't really have to have them. Robustness is not relevant since they all use the same theory to calculate dope for the scope only to get you in the ballpark. A ballistic app is just a widget. What is more important is a robust weapon system and experience. I'm using an app and a krestel. The old rancher with arthritis next to me is using a fine cross hair reticle and looking at the flags, mirage, grass down range. We're both shooting about the same but what makes me jealous is the old fart knows a lot more about what the bullet is going to do than I do. Obviously, the old rancher is a better hunter because he has the experience in the area of one shot one kill all his life. He also knows his weapon system better than I know my own. But on the firing range we are about the same. That is all a ballistic app is gong to do for you. I feel these apps take away confidence by allowing us to take shortcuts. And I have become guilty of that for sure.

Not to sound condescending, every single app will only calculate a firing solution based on your input (like is the input wind direction or origin). Garbage in, Garbage out. Spin drift, Coriolis Effect, powder temperature, and Humidity may be considered extra features but you don't really have to have them. Robustness is not relevant since they all use the same theory to calculate dope for the scope only to get you in the ballpark. A ballistic app is just a widget. What is more important is a robust weapon system and experience. I'm using an app and a krestel. The old rancher with arthritis next to me is using a fine cross hair reticle and looking at the flags, mirage, grass down range. We're both shooting about the same but what makes me jealous is the old fart knows a lot more about what the bullet is going to do than I do. Obviously, the old rancher is a better hunter because he has the experience in the area of one shot one kill all his life. He also knows his weapon system better than I know my own. But on the firing range we are about the same. That is all a ballistic app is gong to do for you. I feel these apps take away confidence by allowing us to take shortcuts. And I have become guilty of that for sure.

No arguing your point but I think you are missing the silver lining in your own story. Would you rather have to wait until you were that old farmer next to you to be able to shoot like that(and put that many rounds down range) before you could shoot that well or would you prefer to start off where he is already at by using your apps/widgets and continue to get better with experience?

You're right. But that guy is going to come home with meat for the table while I'm fooling around with gadgets. Gadgets are fine for the firing range unless you have time to use them in the field. I've gotten away from the fundamentals because of these devices. I rely on them entirely too much.

Strelok.

I use it when I don't have my Nomad running FFS.

I also like Strelok. I had great luck with the free version but recently purchased Strelok+ for my Samsung S4 for i think 5 bucks. It uses the weather station sensors built into the phone and inputs them into the ballistic solution. It has been very accurate and seems to have excellent user support and user friendliness. Download the free version and see if you like it.

I have a ballistics program on my computer at home that I do calculations on, but as a hunter I've always just used past experience/instinct in the field. I've been looking for an app for my ipod, which will likely be Shooter or something like it. Culpeper's point is a good one, and I would suggest that when at the range using devices that you stick to the simple things. Once you've plugged in your basic data, stop and look around and observe what those conditions look/feel like. Then you're not just crunching numbers, but getting experience in what a 15mph, 3/4 value wind with 40% humidity, etc. feels and looks like. Combine this with a log book of your shot calls and results, you'll know how to make the read without a lot of electronics. JMHO, hope it helps!

Strelok has been good to me out to 772 which is the farthest I've taken my 18" 308. Their reticle mapping has really been good and easy to use out to 600 with the reticle in the Bushnell G2DMR. I usually dial if I'm going further than 600. The trajectory calibration feature is nice and it has just about every reticle configuration on it. It updates with new reticles all the time.

Strelok also works in either FFP or SFP mode with a slide feature for SFP scopes. You can slide the bar to different magnifications and it automatically changes your holdovers. Here is an example of the reticle mapping, this is on FFP so magnification doesn't matter. It also plots your hold with different target types, I have mine set on the red dot. I'm sure that just like all the apps and solvers that you have to put in good info to get anything out of it.

10mph full value wind hold at 700 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
iStrelok and Ballistic AE for me, both seems to do a great job. iStrelok gives you visually the actual reticle of the scope you are using, and have a pretty extensive reticle and scope library.

Another vote for Strelok (I've got the free Android version)

If you get all your inputs in accurately it'll go quite a ways. Gets my 7 mag to a mile, dead on elevation, all I gotta do is gauge the wind. :)

Another vote for Strelok (I've got the free Android version)

If you get all your inputs in accurately it'll go quite a ways. Gets my 7 mag to a mile, dead on elevation, all I gotta do is gauge the wind. :)

Caldwell wind wizard 25 bucks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have Shooter, Strelok and Ballistic AE. Strelok is the simplest and has the cool reticle holdover feature. Shooter has the best "heads up" display and is pretty full featured. Ballistic AE has the coolest wind set up feature and the heads up display is nice too. Both Shooter & Ballistic AE include temperature dependent MV, very important for long range, and both allow truing of your solutions. I seem to be using Ballistic AE the most often.

Last edited:
I have been using the free Android version of Strelok also. I haven't had the chance to stretch its legs over 600 yards yet but everything inside of that it was dead on. I also have used the KAC one a little before but to me the free Strelok is on par and has some unique features to it.

ColdBore Phone from Patagonia.

No other app comes close to its accuracy and features. Hands down by far the best program I've ever used, and syncs to the PC version too.

I have both Shooter and Strelok+ and prefer Strelok+. While I don't use it often, I like the fact that it shows your reticle and holdover for your solution. The interface also feels more intuitive to me. You can output your data in chart form and email it to yourself for printing. The developer is constantly updating the program with new reticles. As was said above, try the free version to see if you like it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

At Gunsite I covertly ran BulletFlight alongside Trimble / Field Firing Solutions and although BF will never be in the league of FFS, I found that for simple shot solutions it ran "right there" give or take .1 mil at longer ranges.

There was absolutely no time to do this at the line, so when back in the rear, at lunch I would plug in my hit solutions and environs into BF and there it was, same solution.

When I get bored and money'd up again, I will replace with FFS.

+1 for Strelock. I have both versions but the free one is actually the one I use the most. First time I used it I plugged in my data and set my scope and was shooting bulls eyes at 400yds from the first shot. Pretty simple to use and I am the guy that has to have "user friendly" when it comes to electronics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Free Streloc here too.

I made 1st round hits at 502, 613, 720 and 830 with it....with two different rifles in totally different calibers.

So far I have been using the Lapua's free calculator, for the elevation clicks. It has worked good enough when needed. I use the dope card taped on rifle most of the time, and go for the app only sometimes as a self check (to see whether I thought up the correct elevation), when there is, say, a 20-30 degree C difference in temp from rifle's zero (rifle's zero is currently on +30 Celsius, but I have shot as low as -25 Celsius) or some weird and long distance (for example, I have clicks on dope card for 900 and 925 meters, but would need 912). I use the gut-feeling on the wind holds, so simpler app is better for me. I try to rely on basics, because these are there for me all the time, and use the app only as a training aid.

But thanks for the hint on Strelok, I should try it and check it out.

AE Ballistics and Strelok Pro. AE seems to have much more functionality in the app.

Strelok seems to be one of the easier ones to grasp. With the galaxy s4 it'll utilize it's on board sensors to provide live temperture, barometric pressure, and humidity.

+1 for shooter it is easy to use and has proven accurate every time out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I found this forum searching for some info on Strelok and Strelok Pro android apps. I am a newbie to long range target shooting and have been using both these apps for a short time. I have been getting drastically different firing solutions for my 30-06 175 grain Match King loads at 1,000 yds. Yesterday my elevations were 89 clicks/.1 Mrad in standard Strelok and 101 clicks in Strelok Pro. Not all inputs are the same for each program but all that was entered was accurate. Inputs that are the same in both programs were entered the same. Has anyone else encountered this variation in these apps? The 89 clicks was closer to my final adjustment which was 91. I am probably making a mistake but not sure where to start looking.