• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What to do with my brake

jakim0423

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2014
I just had a custom LR delivered. It shoots great but tonight when cleaning I noticed the brake is about 15 degrees past zero so the ports are not straight across. I have unthreaded it a hundred times and can't get it to thread on so it sits horizontal. It is a long ways and very expensive to send back. It was a 1/4 turn lose when I got it is that normal or should it be tight. Any quick fixes for it like a crush washer or something?
Thanks

I have a TRG and the brake for that has a clamp, and I find it 'behaves' better on a slight cant, as opposed to being timed 'straight' so, that might be how it was set up.

Regards

Pete

Don't use crush washers. Most brakes are aligned with the face of the threads. Use these precision shims and you will be good to gohttp://www.shop.jeccustom.com/Shim-Kit-2014-5824SK2014.htm

How did you determine how to time the TRG brake. I run mine straight up.

Well, if it shoots great the best solution might be to just let it be. You could try a little "blue" Loctite but if you just can't live with it..............back to the smith to be timed/re-timed.

All of my brakes are timed almost exactly 15 degrees off horizontal from the factory or builder whichever may be the case. I have never found a problem with them being that way and elected to leave them. I always figured the folks that build the rifles know more about the dynamics than I do....