• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what to expect after shoulder surgery?

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ
I'm no fitness nut-46yo and just has physically demanding job for my fitness routine but I figured some of you guys may have a line on what I can expect or do to get back to 100% asap following my rt shoulder surgery next friday. I'm having an arthoscopic SLAP repair and maybe a biceps tenodesis done to fix a labrum tear and tendon damage.
I'm not looking forward to it (especially if they cut my biceps tendon and anchor it in a drilled hole lower on my humerus) but I am looking forward to not having pain working, shooting and riding my scoot...

Any input, info or experiences appreciated.

First, SORRY! Wife and I both have had that experience.

It hurts at first and so does the therapy afterwards. And that crappy designed foam pad they put under the arm sling you'll have to wear for a few weeks was designed by a sadist. BUT, you'll live. When the pain finally goes away you'll be glad you had it done. The pre-surgery pain has to be pretty bad before most of us agree to have it done so the benefit is going to be significant even if you never fully recover 100%.

The small incisions won't be a problem but you better keep the incisions clean, dry and uncontaminated; those cuts go to the bone and you sure don't want an infection in there. Immediately after the surgery you're going to have a good bit of internal bleeding that will gravity infiltrate into your fore arm. It can't be drained so it will have to be absorbed naturally and that will require a few weeks; a large portion of your lower arm will be colored like an egg plant! Until it's gone you'll have tissue irration and forearm swelling to the point of being significantly painful by itself; you'll live.

Main thing - the MOST IMPORTANT thing - is to NOT STRESS the arm at all immediately after the surgery nor during the healing so the new attachments can heal properly. IF you don't, you can rip them from together as I did one biceps attachment when I rolled on it in my sleep the night of surgery and now, 5 years later, fully half of my unattached right bicepts has atropied away. Remember all that attaching stuff is done on the very ends of raw flesh and there's NOTHING you can do to speed the required healing that has to occur before you can safely stress it. (My original shoulder injury was so severe I had a complete joint replacement about four years later. Then I slept for two weeks in my den recliner chair so I wouldn't roll over - doing that may help you too!)

The weeks of therapy are a mixed blessing - it hurts but you can have the delight of watching your own improvement! They will likely give you a list of exercise to do at home; do them. And do them as they say, don't play tuff guy and do them excessively, it will be weeks before you can safely stress the tie points. Do as you're told and eventually the attachments will heal and likely be as strong as ever - try to macho hurry it and you may never get back to 100%.

My surgeon wasn't a shooter and had no idea of when it would be safe to shoot again so I waited a full year before I subjected me to the impulse loading of recoil. And then it was a .243, and another 6 months before I fired a .30-06 - and that was for both surgeries.

After the pains subside, the worst things will be taking care of yourself. Forget showering until the incisions heal but if you have a hand held shower you can at least do your lower body with it, otherwise expect to sit in a tub. You'll get to experience things an infant has to learn when you feed yourself, shave, brush your teeth and wipe your butt with a clumsy left hand; just do everything slow and expect to get a lil' poo on your elbow at times! ;)

Hope all goes well for you, you WILL be in my prayers for at least the first weeks of recovery. Give us a report on how you're doing?

Last edited:
If they have to fix your labrum and Tendon you are in for a long haul . I had a 6 month lifting restriction of 1 pound . I am over a year out and am just now getting the strength back to 100% in my arm . It still hurts when I overuse it and while it definitely is way better than it was pre surgery its still not 100% . To be honest if I had it to do over again I think I would forgo the bicep tendon repair and just have them clip it and live with an odd looking bicep . Its what they do in Europe and I have heard the recovery time is a lot less .

I had a torn Labrum and damaged long bicep tendon as well as a bunch of bone spurs that were impinging on some nerves that they ground out . So while not exactly the same as yours it was pretty close .

Sobrbiker883,

Welcome to the "club" and I wish you well. I wish I can say its all easy and going to be pain free after a SLAP repair. I have had 4 shoulder surgeries all on my left, and I am left handed. I have had 3 SLAP repairs (two Type 4 and one Type 3). The last surgery #4 was a biceps tenodesis, decompression, microfcrature and rotator cuff repair (45000mi tune up). I have 16 anchor sutures in there now and also have 4 biceps pins and screws.

I too have a physically demanding job as a Fire Captain 18yrs on the job and involved in our Special Operations. I am also on a FEMA Task Force (9/11 and Katerina stuff) also and haven't taken it easy once after any of my surgeries. I am driven and won't let this beat me or limit me. I still shoot when I have the time, and went duck hunting yesterday. I had to sell my believed M1A because the recoil would kill me and I would flinch before the shot and my groups were horrible. I have gone to smaller calibers, gassers and pistols now.

With that said, don't do what I did, aha ha ha. I can't throw a ball for my kids like I used to, can't sleep on that side, have to take pain meds when its really bad. I have zero cartilage left and the entire shoulder is stage 4 arthritis. My 2 fingers are constantly numb and I have lost some grip strength. I can't put my arm behind my back and tuck in my pants, but its a good excuse to say thats why I can't pay for anything because I can't reach my wallet. The Docs all have said that I need a replacement and to invest in titanium soon, REAL soon.

So after my rant, DO NOT do what I did and take it easy. Take your time and do what is asked of you for PT. Take pain meds 1hr BEFORE your physical therapy, it will help and you will get further and you won't guard because of the pain. The pain will be there but its tolerable and buy some comfortable pillows to prop your arm up at night. You will get good with your other hand and simple tasks like brushing your teeth will become easier.

I don't know if I helped or scared you, but feel free to PM me anytime if you have a question. Im sorry you have this surgery, but take it on full force and know it will get better.

Stay safe

Tack

SLAP tears, torn bicep tendon, cracked coracoid bone, torn deltoid, torn supraspinatus - one surgery for all.

Get a recliner. You'll need it for sleeping in the first two weeks.

I've always been in very good shape, and my work is physically active and at times demanding. I was using my shoulder to workout up to the day of my surgery.

Stay on top of the meds (ibuprofen, hydrocodone/vicodin) as they will speed up the healing process. Lowering inflammation and pain will speed recovery. I had a friend who had a shoulder cuff that pumped ice water through it, and he said he was wonderful. I was not given one when I left the surgery center.

I started physical therapy/rehab maybe a week and a half after the surgery. All passive work - they started slowly stretching things out. I went three days a week for 5 months. After 2 months, I was out of my sling but not using my arm. At 3 and a half months, I returned to work in full capacity - even pushing the limits with my shoulder. :0

I worked out consistently even while in my sling, and kept a great diet that was low inflammation. I contribute all of that to such a speedy recovery. I started climbing rope, doing pullups, and light bench press after 3 months. The hardest part of all of it was my physical rehab for the first month. It was painful.

My shoulder has zero pain these days, but there is some scar tissue that limits mobility in the far ranges overhead. I was aggressive in getting back my range of rotation.

Everyone is different. My advice is to be aggressive with the physical therapy, and find a good sports doc or physical therapist who won't baby you but knows what healthy limits are to getting you moving with your shoulder again.

Thanks for the responses guys. It's a WC injury, so once they say surgery I gotta do it. They did refer me to a kickass sports ortho, and they're the ones that decided to operate. The surgeon's PA is a shooter, so that's a big plus.
They are getting me the ice water cuff thing for my shoulder, and I'm bringing in a recliner....

The ice water cooler works great and keep it on for the first 24hrs. Don't do anything for the first 24hrs either, take it VERY easy. Take your time and find some books, get on Netflix as you will have some time off. Learn sign language or something that you can spend that recliner time, and don't count the days until you get back to work. Doing that will drive you crazy.

Good advice above. Two and a half years ago, I completely tore my pectoral tendon from my humerous. I actually heard it rip loose. I was 44 then, and I'm doing everything now that I was doing before the injury (although I'm not trying to benchpress as much).
I had a sports ortho do the surgery (lots of professional athletes in his patient list). Keys to a solid recovery (in my opinion):
-Follow the surgeon's post-op directions exactly, and don't try to push it faster. You can't speed up the healing process, but you can screw up a good repair by thinking you're a tough guy (and maybe you are, but put your ego aside for this).
-Sleep in a recliner for at least a couple of weeks (I did 3) to avoid rolling over while sleeping.
-Keep up on the pain meds. This will also help with sleeping in the first week.
-Use a shoulder cooler as much as you can. For the first 3 weeks, I kept mine on for every moment I was sitting at home and work, as well as during long car rides.
-Get a good physical therapist who actually talks to the surgeon. I interviewed several (pre-op) and immediately crossed those off my list that "don't need to talk to the doc because I know what I'm doing."

Good luck!

I live in very athletic place where people blow up shoulders, knees, bicept tendons all the time. From my own experience, and from many of my friends, I will strongly recommend that you do the following things.

-Listen to the doctor when they tell you what, when, how long you should be doing things. Ice is your friend, as is the recliner, someone who loves you, and meals which don't take more than one hand to prepare and eat.
-Do NOT try to push it, and yes it will probably take you 12-18 months to get strong enough to start pushing it. More than one friend has re-torn their bicep tendon, and the problem is that usually once the surgery is done, there isn't much left to do it again for quite a while.
-Listen to your body. Pain is there for a reason, and if you don't listen to it, you will be reminded of that reason.
-Great that the surgeon understands what you do! If they are masters of their practice, they can often times do things a different way to make the end result better for you.

Good luck!

Surgery went well, been 1 week.
They did two anchors to secure my labrum and no biceps tenodesis (yay). Off pain meds after day 3 and limited to pendulums as tolerated until follow up visit next Wed.
Thanks for the input and support!

5.5 weeks and I'm back on the motorcycle (since 4.5 wk mark), but still far away from shooting practical precision rifle...
I go back to work next Monday, and am doing everything PT tells me (and a hair more, but that's with 10yrs of X-ray experience in the 90's guiding what I can do with the joint and the repair site).
Thanks for the help guys-I'm not stressing my biceps tendon/labrum area for nothing, not for at least another 4-5 weeks.
All is well, and Merry Christmas!

I just went through the same surgery in October. Luckily the naval hospital physical therapy section had been awesome, 4 months into recovery and I am able to lift again and have full range of motion. Biggest factor I have noticed is doing the stretching 3x a day and not babying my arm, this with a labrum that was torn 320 degrees with 11 anchors and a bicep tendonesus. You can already tell your limits. Good luck with the recovery, it definetely is a pain.

Hopefully you are still progressing well in your recovery. I've had 3 on my right shoulder. Slap labrum repair, capsular shift, then a chromeoplasty. Last one was in 2011. I can't stress enough how getting a good PT is. I had to deal with the WC bullshit too. I got lucky that because I was dealing with the issues long enough I was able to chose my own docs and PT. I still get achy if I push it to hard. But all and all don't get slowed down much. Shooting anything with a lot of shock doesn't exactly hurt. It just leaves a weird uncomfortable feeling. Almost like there is air in the joint and you want it to crack to relieve the pressure. Only last me a couple days max. Long after you're done going to PT and they clear you, keep doing your passive exercises. You can do a lot at home with those Thera-bands. Good luck in your recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk