• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Universal decapping die or combination of pieces works on tiny flash holes

bluejay75

PX Ranger
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2021
North Carolina
Greetings gents,

Im having some problems figuring out what decapping die works best for Lapua Palma 308 brass, Lapua SRP 6.5 Creedmoor Brass and Petersen SRP 6.5 Creedmoor brass for the trifecta.

What size drill bit can i use to drill them all our and just use with my regular dies?

Any tips welcomed.

JB

Another vote for the Mighty Armory Universal Decapping Die. They make both large and small flash hole pins that are super durable. No issues with my Alpha 260 rem brass, mix of 224 valkyrie brass, and 45-70 brass.

Greetings gents,

Im having some problems figuring out what decapping die works best for Lapua Palma 308 brass, Lapua SRP 6.5 Creedmoor Brass and Petersen SRP 6.5 Creedmoor brass for the trifecta.

What size drill bit can i use to drill them all our and just use with my regular dies?

Any tips welcomed.

JB
I ran into this issue with my Lee universal decapping die and Lapua SRP 6 CM brass. The pin was too big. I ordered a couple of smaller pins for the Lee from Brownells @ $3.95 each. In the meantime, I just used my Redding Neck sizer as a decapper and left the bushing out. Worked like a champ

Sinclair universal has a smaller pin included for small flash holes. I wouldn’t run the die on a progressive press but havnt broken anything yet paying some attention

Mighty Armory!

I have had versions with and without the spring primer "flipper". I prefer the spring. Works effortlessly.

Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass uses a small primer pocket with an undersized flash-hole (.059”, 1.5mm – old “Gold Box” and current .062”, 1.58mm – “Blue Box”). Standard small decapping pins are 1/16" needle bearings, or 0.0625”, so smaller flash-holes may yank the decapping pin from the stem.

Hornady - Headed, Stepped, Decapping Pin Small .055" (#396618).
Redding - Undersized Decapping Pins 0.057" PPC (#01059).
RCBS – Extra Small Decapping Pin .057” (#9631).
SAAMI spec. for rifle cases, large primer, flash-hole = 0.078 - 0.082”. Pistol and rifle cases, small primer, flash-hole = .074 - .078,” but some European CIP (European equivalent to SAAMI) brass, such as Sako and Lapua may use 1.6-1.7mm (.059”) flash-holes.

Reactions: bluejay75
Another vote for the drill and sandpaper method. Did it with my Lee and never looked back. I also ordered a spare stem when I originally bought the die because a broken $4 decapping pin is a bummer of a way to lock up your whole bench.

A spare pin(s) is always wise for the inevitable berdan case that makes it into the mix.

C2B4D71C-472F-46B2-A947-A4F1EE34486F.jpeg

Thanks gents!!!