• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What would make all my loads overpressur today

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
I went out with the rifle today to play around (sps tactical 308)

I shot my normal loads of varget under 168 amax and SMK's and every one of them gave me a slightly sticky bolt and left marks where the plunger sat. I've been shooting this load all summer without any issues. The bullets when from the AC of the house with me in the car to the range and never had a chance to get about 95 degrees (ouside temp in shade).

I only shot a few round of each before getting worried, I also had 5 factory hornidy match 168's and they did the same thing, wondering what with the rifle might be different or is it something else I'm missing.

Re: What would make all my loads overpressur today

Thats not much info to go on, but considering you shot "known good handloads" and factory ammo, I would look for something in the chamber or bbl that is causing pressure first. Sounds almost like a carbon ring issue, or maybe some copper build up or something. Known good loads just dont go overpressure for no reason. Did they get hot and you didnt know it? Rain or moisture on them or in chamber?

Only time I have had this happen is when I have developed a carbon ring in my AR. If I notice pressure starting to develope I will borescope it and every time I have found the infamous ring. A couple seconds of scrubbing with a chamberbrush on a cordless drill takes care of it.

On a bolt gun, have never had that happen to me but have seen folks blow primers during rain at matches after the rounds got wet....that includes factory ammo.

I am sure some others will have some thoughts. Dont shoot that rifle until you figure it out though...no reason to be unsafe.

John

Check case length. They may have grown to the point where they are impeding bullet release, causing an initial pressure spike. IMHO, this is the most likely overlooked issue when tame loads turn surly without a more obviously recognizable reason. Sometimes they manifest themselves as a vague resistance to final bolt closure when chambering the round.

Oh, hey, well; I just noticed the point about the Hornadies. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't have the same problem. But check your fired brass' length anyway...

You may be dealing with two different issues. IMHO, HDY factory loads can be pretty zippy all by themselves.

Greg

+1 to the carbon ring

Did you leave your chamber / bore "wet" when you put the rifle up last? Fluid doesn't compress well and will create issues immediately even in small doses.

Cheers,

Doc

condensation perhaps? awfully wet/humid in Houston the last few days...

-pd

If you said they were in AC the change to 95 degrees may have caused condensation and that would do it...

maybe your scale is off kilter a bit and you are a bit over on your loads... or your seating die is dirty and you seated the bullet a tad too deep.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll look into these possibilities.

Did you move them a lot? Maybe xxkm bad roads to ur shooting location?
I heard from some1 who thought it could be a good idea to put loaded ammunition into the tumbler to make it look better...
His weapon didnt like it.

Ya just had to screw up all of our theories by shooting those Hornady's!
I had the same problem last month.
2 weekends in a row with same conditions just .025 longer made too hot.
temps low to mid 90" and humid both.
Did you pop a primer?
If so, take the plunger apart and check it and the spring.
Look for brass chips around the plunger,or marks on brass next time out. If it happens, stop.
My ejector and spring are on order. Let you know if that fixes it.