• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what would you get for first high end scope...

BigRso

Sergeant
Minuteman
What's up

I decided to do it right the first time with my current build. I realized I spend more money buying and selling mid price range scopes due to not being truly satisfied. I want to get myself into a scope that I can grow in to and will serve me well for matches and courses I plan to take in the future. My budget for the scope and rings is 2k, main features I am after are ffp, zero stop, mil/mil, great glass, repeatable turrets.

I was looking at:
Mark 6 3.5-18x44 tmr
Ior 3-18x42 sh ret
Bushnell 4.5-30x50 ers G2

I would really like some help to be honest I never taught I would drop that much coin on an optic but am really getting into the sport and don't want to cut my self short. As far as the optics I listed I was going by reviews if there is something better please share.

Be well
Mike

Vortex 5x20 is a great scope for that money you can get mil/mil EBR ret. And it's first focal plane....and you can't go wrong with night force or even a premier light tactical 3x15 those three would be at the top of my list in that price range remember you get whatcha pay for especially with optics!!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Of the three you have listed Id say either the Leupold or Bushnell.

Id suggest watching the for sale section on here too. There have been some really good deals on optics in your price range. I have seen a few F1s for under your price range with rings included on here over the last month. I have also seen a few Premier 3-15s go for 2100 over the past month and quite a few US Optics and Steiners scopes going for either under your budget or at your budget. Unless you get the mil/le pricing on the Leupold then I wouldn't hesitate to get the Leupold.

I agree with BIGB79. The best bet for what you want would be a Vortex Razor HD with EBR-2B reticle and 10 mil turrets with Suphr mount with built in level. Mile High Shooting, a sponsor here, has had these on sale here for $2000. Best bang for your buck and comes with transferable no fault warranty. Mine has been rock solid with great tracking and solid clicks. Check them out!

Last edited:
In that price range, Vortex Razor HD I am running two of them right now. I have a 5 mil turret and a 10 mil turret, on a 308 I personally like the 5 mil turret. EBR-2B reticles work very well also.

In that price range, Vortex Razor HD I am running two of them right now. I have a 5 mil turret and a 10 mil turret, on a 308 I personally like the 5 mil turret. EBR-2B reticles work very well also.

Question you stated that on a 308 you prefer 5 mil turrets, is it due to over turning while adjusting or just due to a 308 effective range not requiring such huge jumps in elevation?

Thank you everyone so far for the recommendations I greatly appreciate it. I was looking in the optics section and yes there is a lot of good deals on there. If anyone could please tell me there first hand experiences with IOR scopes it would be great seems like a lot of bang for the buck as well. EX: Glass , turrets mushy , illumination, and the ret. it almost looks like a G2 but with the floating red dot. The red dot would be great on low mag as an aiming point.

Sport optics has several nightforce demos for sale at the moment. All the features you would prefer for a base level price. They are flawless and have only been handled at a law enforcement convention. I just mounted mine yesterday, and I couldn't be happier.

I used a Steiner 4-16x50 at a course last September. We shot out to 1000, with most work between 300-800. I NEVER felt like I needed more glass. Not even once. Never.

Not even once.

The question was:

" what would you get for first high end scope..."

I went with a NightForce 12-42X56 NXS and I see no reason to buy another "high ender". Does all I want, was not as expensive as others, and with the QD rings it moves from rifle to rifle real nice. At the top of my DOPE card I just have the different "Zero Settings" for each rifle/ammo combination. Since I can only shoot one rifle at a time I find that ONE high end scope does it for me. That said, I have "lesser" scopes for each rifle I own in case I have to loan it to a relative I take shooting with me.

The question was:

I went with a NightForce 12-42X56 NXS and I see no reason to buy another "high ender". Does all I want, was not as expensive as others, and with the QD rings it moves from rifle to rifle real nice. At the top of my DOPE card I just have the different "Zero Settings" for each rifle/ammo combination. Since I can only shoot one rifle at a time I find that ONE high end scope does it for me. That said, I have "lesser" scopes for each rifle I own in case I have to loan it to a relative I take shooting with me.

Does your QD rings really bring the zero back exactly where it was? From my understanding, even with the best knew, your zero will be off a .1 or .2 mils each time you take it off and put it back.

I had the bushnell DMR. I think it is a great bang for your buck scope to start out with, but you asked for high end and I don't think it is. Out of those three I would go with the mark 6. Best price I've seen on them is at liberty so give them a call. I just upgraded to the PR 5-25x56 gen 2XR and don't see how a scope can get better than that, but that adds around 1k to what you're looking at.

The question was:

You are right but that's my mistake I was referring to price not mag.

Does your QD rings really bring the zero back exactly where it was? From my understanding, even with the best knew, your zero will be off a .1 or .2 mils each time you take it off and put it back.

Mine have been dead on with every change. They're Leupold rings and I use only steel rails like NF or Ken Farrell. The straighter the rail the more chance of remaining zeroed. Rings have also been lapped using the NF rail then checked on the Ken Farrell rails using the lapping bar and some prussian blue. True all.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking the mark 6 , the IOR, or the Bushnell at all I just know I have looked through all of those scopes it also depends on the application because the last thing you want is to get a good scope and wish you had a different reticle are you hunting? Getting into shooting matches? Just plinking around? If you going to get into shooting matches shooting out to a thousand yds...the the reticle is very important almost all matches will test your ability to maybe range a target or maybe a situation where you may not have time to dial for wind or elevation so in that case you'll have to hold so what I'm getting at is the finer the measurement in the retical equals better accuracy down range for instance I had a Schmidt and bender with a P4 fine ret. Which has a floating cross hair and the first subtention was at one mil so any hold for wind all the way to one mil was a guess unless I dialed so switched to a H2CMR ret. And it has wind holds every .2 mil no guessing another good one is the gen2XR in the premier and the EBR in the vortex also look at the post that Rich Emmons posted about all of the equipment that the PRS shooters use these are some of the best shooters in the US maybe the world I hope that hleps?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I would choose the MK6 off your list but agree with others the scope for me under 2K is the Razor HD. I really like the EBR3 and you can find some great deals here on the hide. But the Mile High deal is so sweet!!

I know it's not on your list, but every now and again a Premier Heritage 3-15x50 will come up for under $2k and the glass is fantastic. It is a big and heavy scope, but rugged and reliable. I have the G2 mildot and it's a great combination with the power range. Food for thought.

I got behind a friends ERS a few weeks ago. I was impressed! Bushnell did a great job on feel of those 10 mil knobs, especially compared to the V 5-20's 10 mill knobs. I like having more power on the top and the glass was very good so making a choice is easy for me.

Of course I'm biased because I had 3 of the HDMR's which I think are the best scopes out there for the money when bought used.

If you do a little reading you will find that the IOR will probably have a problem. They might have good glass but the rest of the scope is not up to par.

What's up

I decided to do it right the first time with my current build. I realized I spend more money buying and selling mid price range scopes due to not being truly satisfied. I want to get myself into a scope that I can grow in to and will serve me well for matches and courses I plan to take in the future. My budget for the scope and rings is 2k, main features I am after are ffp, zero stop, mil/mil, great glass, repeatable turrets.

I was looking at:
Mark 6 3.5-18x44 tmr
Ior 3-18x42 sh ret
Bushnell 4.5-30x50 ers G2

I would really like some help to be honest I never taught I would drop that much coin on an optic but am really getting into the sport and don't want to cut my self short. As far as the optics I listed I was going by reviews if there is something better please share.

Be well
Mike

The IOR 3.5X18X50 with the MP-8 reticle is the one you want. Best damn scope ever! Bar none. Period.

I was looking at the Vortex razor that's a nice looking scope would you guys say the glass is on par with the Mark 6

On par yes but I'd say the mark 6 has a slight edge. Honestly man your right on the edge of top tier glass with your price range. Steiner 5-25s can be had for as little as 2300 on the classifieds, premier 3-15s for 2k. Both of those are top tier and substantially better than everything that's been listed IMO.

How many have you used for a length of time?
I certainly am not going to go by one (or a few) persons opinion and findings with one scope.

I've used several IOR scopes numerous and lengthy times in Afghanistan and countries in North Africa they are very rugged and have held up fine for two years in the worst conditions. Which is the reason I purchased one on my own dime.

I cannot speak to IOR scopes from years ago but the newer one from Bucharest Romania are great.

How many have you used for a length of time?
I certainly am not going to go by one (or a few) persons opinion and findings with one scope.

I've used several IOR scopes numerous and lengthy times in Afghanistan and countries in North Africa they are very rugged and have held up fine for two years in the worst conditions. Which is the reason I purchased one on my own dime.

I cannot speak to IOR scopes from years ago but the newer one from Bucharest Romania are great.

Right from the horse's mouth. I guess that about sums it up.

Right from the horse's mouth. I guess that about sums it up.

I guess it depends on what horse you want to listen to. When your horse gets his own site that rivals this one I'll pay heed to it. Until then I'll heed the words of the head horse of this site.

Claiming one's opinion as technical knowledge while at the same time professing love for IOR forfeits one's credibility on all levels.

Opinions are not facts and stats tell a much bigger picture not easily dismissed.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what horse you want to listen to. When your horse gets his own site that rivals this one I'll pay heed to it. Until then I'll heed the words of the head horse of this site.

The horse I listen to is the one with credible and certifiable use in multiple country's. Not a tacticool/website owner.

The horse I listen to is the one with credible and certifiable use in multiple country's. Not a tacticool/website owner.

Wow! That's funny! You actually called Lowlight a tacticool/website owner like he is some dumbass instead of an established industry professional.
gejepygu.jpg

Rather than make bald assertions which are not supported by facts, it would be wise to do some research on this site's owner, his experience, and his level of knowledge of this industry. If you had done your homework rather than spouting off, you could not have reasonably posted the above.

Rather than make bald assertions which are not supported by facts, it would be wise to do some research on this site's owner, his experience, and his level of knowledge of this industry. If you had done your homework rather than spouting off, you could not have reasonably posted the above.

I read his profile months ago. All it say is that he likes big foot and aliens?

KUSA,
I asked what your experience was using IOR scopes. When I get a chance to post here, usually like now, when I'm home on leave, I only do so with the thoughts of helping someone who does not get the chance to use and abuse allot of scopes, rifles, etc. My thoughts and conclusions with IOR scopes are mine stemming from usage in the harshest conditions, their record and rep from other SF Groups and on recommendations of the USMC Precision Weapons Section (who have done extensive testing on them.) The 10th Group is currently using several IORs on various systems including the 3X25 CQB on our HKs and the Recon and the LON 4X. All have been outstanding and sometimes better and comparable to the SBs, USO, NF we also utilize.

BigRso will ultimately make his own decision, but he should do so with accurate knowledge.

KUSA,
I asked what your experience was using IOR scopes. When I get a chance to post here, usually like now, when I'm home on leave, I only do so with the thoughts of helping someone who does not get the chance to use and abuse allot of scopes, rifles, etc. My thoughts and conclusions with IOR scopes are mine stemming from usage in the harshest conditions, their record and rep from other SF Groups and on recommendations of the USMC Precision Weapons Section (who have done extensive testing on them.) The 10th Group is currently using several IORs on various systems including the 3X25 CQB on our HKs and the Recon and the LON 4X. All have been outstanding and sometimes better and comparable to the SBs, USO, NF we also utilize.

BigRso will ultimately make his own decision, but he should do so with accurate knowledge.

You can't tell him nothing.

KUSA,

I don't have your experience with them. I have used them and the glass is great but with all the problems they have I won't purchase one. I really came close to getting one but with some research I decided USO was a better choice at that time.
Scopes cost way too much to take a chance with a second rate company. I am glad they work for you and I thank you for your service.
My next scope is the Nightforce BEAST. I feel confident about it because of the reputation of the company and the reviews Lowlight gives it.
Few people can afford to purchase everything for a personal evaluation. That is why a reasonable person does research and listens to established industry professionals that see it all and run the hell out of them.

Out of those I'd buy the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 with TMR reticle.
The Bushy is a well built scope but the glass is not good enough to take use magnification much above 20x very often.
A more likely competitor to the Leupold is the Bushnell DMR with G2DMR reticle if you can forgo the zero stop or the ERS which is essentially the same except 10 mil turrets and zero stop.
I have never owned an Ior scope and I likely never will, I've read too many reports of them breaking, and it's not worth the risk for me when there are so many alternatives.

The Leupy is light and compact, is alleged to have very good glass, the rest of the features suit my needs, and Leupold has a very good track record service-wise.

Joe

I'm confused as to why you aren't considering the Bushnell ERS 3.5-21x50. It's more in line with the other two as far as magnification is concerned. I don't particularly care for the new knobs on the Mark 6 and IOR's record is less than satisfactory. I recently bought a LRS 3-12x44 w/G2. The reticle is just what I needed. As others have mentioned, the Vortex Razor is a fine scope with a bulletproof warranty. I'm not yet persuaded of the newer Gen II models. 46.5 oz. seems ridiculous.

I wonder why.

I don't, and don't pretend to. But I don't have to know dick about scopes to know if one works or not. My IOR works great. I don't know why you have a issue with that.

Question you stated that on a 308 you prefer 5 mil turrets, is it due to over turning while adjusting or just due to a 308 effective range not requiring such huge jumps in elevation?

The effective range, for the most part, you will only run into the second rotation around 750-800 yards and the Vortex has a nice zero stop anyway. Wow this thread went sideways, BigRso send me a PM, I run precision rifle courses in Western NY we get a full bullpen of glass in any given class and students check others out and talk. Have had a few scopes go tits up (and no I'm not mentioning brands here) I keep a spare USO with rings for a loaner to keep students running.

I don't, and don't pretend to. But I don't have to know dick about scopes to know if one works or not. My IOR works great. I don't know why you have a issue with that.

I am actually glad that your IOR works. I wish everyone's did however that doesn't seem to be the case. I hate to see someone save up a lot of money and buy something that is probably beyond their means only to get stuck with an expensive nonfunctional tube.

I am actually glad that your IOR works. I wish everyone's did however that doesn't seem to be the case. I hate to see someone save up a lot of money and buy something that is probably beyond their means only to get stuck with an expensive nonfunctional tube.

I'm glad it works as well because I'm not a wealthy man. I'm looking to have a 6.5mm rifle built this next year and I'm thinking of looking into a Night Force ATACR to put on it. How 'bout them beans!

IOR 3.5-18x50 FFP SH-1! Fantastic scope for money and very difficult to compete with. Very nice glass, very good clicks, very good reticle perfect illumination.