• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Whats in your SHTF Bag?

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
Red Cross, FEMA, and a variety of other groups exhort families to build a 72 hour kit with the basic necessities that will sustain you for the initial operational period (the time before the fed swoops in with aid) during an emergency.

Starting my own bag but want it to be something i can grab and go if i need to as well as use to shelter-in-place.

I know (and teach) what the federal guidance is for what goes in these things but I am interested in what other people put in them as well.

What's in your SHTF / emergency / bug-out / 72 hour bag?

Re: Whats in your SHTF Bag?

bottled water
bottled water
bottled water
bottled water
bottled water
canned food

Must........resist.......aw heck, here it is again:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/evr_tP9cJWY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/evr_tP9cJWY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Frankly, these questions should be focused inward. What kind of person are you? If you feel you're going to be in firefights and shooting up the country side, take ammo. If you are a humanitarian, take med supplies. If you are all about self-preservation, take things that address food, water, shelter procurement.

3 cliff bars, 100oz water, binoculars, Cz sp01, Sog powerlock and seal team elite, lots of paracord, wileyx gloves & glasses, fishing kit, compass, small sharpening stone, emergency blanket, 2 bic lighters, bore snake, Mpro 7 clp... yep... I like being prepared. Never know whats gonna happen so I might as well be ready.

dehydrated meals
water filter
water
lighter
tender
knife
multi tool
basic med kit
batteries
solar panel
flash light
zip ties
paracord
duct tape
Probably a few other things that I'm forgetting. Better to have it......

All you need is

This:

pabst-blue-ribbon.jpg

This:

big_spliff.jpg

And this:

3-strap_harness_with_orange_dildo_01.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kirker912</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dehydrated meals
water filter
water
lighter
tender
knife
multi tool
basic med kit
batteries
solar panel
flash light
zip ties
paracord
duct tape
Probably a few other things that I'm forgetting. Better to have it......</div></div>

Appreicate the USEFUL thoughts.

Right now the flash light,
duct tape,
para cord (100 ft),
a few fully rated carabiners with screwgate locks,
a handful of MREs and few small packs of crackers,
an iodine pellet based water sanitation kit,
small thing of bleach with a dilution chart taped to it (this ratio for disinfecting, this ratio for drinkable water, etc),
some extra batteries,
a small signalling light,
50 rounds of ammo for my most common carry,
a couple of those compressed thermal blankets,
a small fixed blade knife,
a small folder knife
a small firesteel,
and a small first aid kit with mostly ace bandages, diff sizes of gauze pads, and some triangular bandages.

And for those who seem to think this is a stupid excersize in internet paranoidism, your own government is telling everyone to do this
smile.gif

http://www.readycolorado.com/packakit.php
http://dola.colorado.gov/dem/public_information/emergency_kit.htm
http://72hours.org/

yah but the .gov also told me the economy was ok and that the war in Iraq is over

It dont matter long as I keep gettin my FEMA Boxes though...

photo.jpg

It depends on how much "S" and how big the "F"

A 72 hour kit wouldn't go very far in a Katrina type event. A emergency kit in the trunk is one thing, but every major event in modern history has shown that the FEMA, Red Cross model is light by at least a week.

As said earlier, water, water, water, and a filter system to get more water.

Remember the survival rules:

3 minutes without air
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

For some:
3 hours without ESPN

If you have guns and ammo (and training/experience), then you can leave your shelter and get anything else you need with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dismas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have guns and ammo (and training/experience), then you can leave your shelter and get anything else you need with them. </div></div>

Until you run into a group of people with better training/experience working in concert to do the same thing atleast. Which is inevitable if things are so bad that you're going pillaging.

I've got a lot of ducttape and astroglide in my SHTF kit

Funny thing my wife asked me this exact question in the store the other day....allow me to share my response to her.

"Sweety....if you have a gun and ammo - you have food, however if all you have is food - you will face a major challenge to get a gun and ammo....I will start with the low hanging fruit of our neighbors and work my way outward...."

She shrugged and pushed the cart away...if it made sense to her then it should work for FEMA.

Right now I just have a small go bag:
Small med kit
100ft paracord
Splint (the blue and orange one you can mold, brainfarting on the name)
Flashlight
Headlamp
Extra batteries
Extra bezel
Signaling mirrors
Dryer lint
Lighters
Striker block
Leatherman
Mechanix gloves
Gu (energy goo stuff, it's amazing)
Sun block/bug repellant
Water bottle
Purifying tablets

It all fits in a small 5.11 messenger bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine .......toilet paper in a zip lock baggie </div></div>

I'm going to use my gun to get at your toilet paper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine .......toilet paper in a zip lock baggie </div></div>

I'm going to use my gun to get at your toilet paper </div></div>

- really you could use said gun and make him wipe you...thus removing the effort to actually wipe yourself. Unless of course the paper is so abrasive and he knows it...and then rubs you raw causing an infection..and then he just follows you around as slowly deteriorate...kinda like the Komodo Dragon theory....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blueclawz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine .......toilet paper in a zip lock baggie </div></div>

I'm going to use my gun to get at your toilet paper </div></div>

- really you could use said gun and make him wipe you...thus removing the effort to actually wipe yourself. Unless of course the paper is so abrasive and he knows it...and then rubs you raw causing an infection..and then he just follows you around as slowly deteriorate...kinda like the Komodo Dragon theory....</div></div>

damn it....you found me out!!!

"Must........resist.......aw heck, here it is again:"

That was my first time watching that video. I laughed so hard I peed a little.

I always get a kick out of the guys whose plan is to use their gun(s) to prey on those around them. Like they are the only one on the continent with a gun and the ability to use it. In any SHTF(!?) situation that is accompanied by the cessation of law and order, there will be a lot of folks finding out they aren't quite as badass as they thought they were. Most of them will not live to benefit from the realization. Better learn up, fellas. And remember, any kind of a decent defense will inflict disproportionate casualties against the assaulting force...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always get a kick out of the guys whose plan is to use their gun(s) to prey on those around them. Like they are the only one on the continent with a gun and the ability to use it. In any SHTF(!?) situation that is accompanied by the cessation of law and order, there will be a lot of folks finding out they aren't quite as badass as they thought they were. Most of them will not live to benefit from the realization. Better learn up, fellas. And remember, any kind of a decent defense will inflict disproportionate casualties against the assaulting force... </div></div>

Well stated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always get a kick out of the guys whose plan is to use their gun(s) to prey on those around them. Like they are the only one on the continent with a gun and the ability to use it. In any SHTF(!?) situation that is accompanied by the cessation of law and order, there will be a lot of folks finding out they aren't quite as badass as they thought they were. Most of them will not live to benefit from the realization. Better learn up, fellas. And remember, any kind of a decent defense will inflict disproportionate casualties against the assaulting force... </div></div>

I was talking to a Mormon buddy of mine the other day. He said he gets a kick out of people who say their only prep plan is to find a Mormon family and take their stuff by gunpoint. He said, "Like Mormons don't have guns too? And by the way, where there is one Mormon, there tends to be many Mormons. So come and get it."

By the way, he's packed away extra stuff with the sole purpose of giving it to people who may be in need. But if folks don't play nice, he's fully prepared to deal with that as well.

Shankster <span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #3333FF">FTW!</span></span>

I shall incorporate this quote as my standard response/solution to 90% of life's problems.....Still laughing!

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All you need is

This:

pabst-blue-ribbon.jpg

This:

big_spliff.jpg

And this:

3-strap_harness_with_orange_dildo_01.jpg

</div></div>

In my SHTF bag I have...
whut ever i can carry under each arm at a dead run.