• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Whats the absolute worst conditions you'll go shooting?

Below about -25, I have to really reassess how committed I am to the task at hand. Likewise if wind is above about 60 mph. When it blows hard enough to pick up decent sized rocks, it is time to reassess commitment. I have shot in worse when I had a reason to though.

Does a high power match in a tropical storm gusting 25-50 count as crazy. The wind was blowing hard enough to snap 2x4 legs of the target carriers in half. I had had to take a shower with my AR after the match to get the sand out. My wife still refers to that rifle as the other women for some reason.

Arrived in Quang Tri Province in November of 1966 with just 2600 of my closest friends. 13 months later, after monsoon, mud, heat, dust, and insects of the most diabolical descriptions, it wasn't the conditions that held my attention and occupy my memory. Since then I have competed in wind, rain, snow, and sweat running in your eyes heat, still enjoying all of it. I've sat up in the wind in a deer stand in 15 degrees and sub-zero wind chill from pre-dawn to post-sunset. Still going back.

Even a bad day with a rifle in one's hand beats all but just a handful of other things on the planet on a proverbial 'nice day'.

Greg

Greg,

+1 Thanks for your service.

Arrived in Quang Tri Province in November of 1966 with just 2600 of my closest friends. 13 months later, after monsoon, mud, heat, dust, and insects of the most diabolical descriptions, it wasn't the conditions that held my attention and occupy my memory. Since then I have competed in wind, rain, snow, and sweat running in your eyes heat, still enjoying all of it. I've sat up in the wind in a deer stand in 15 degrees and sub-zero wind chill from pre-dawn to post-sunset. Still going back.

Even a bad day with a rifle in one's hand beats all but just a handful of other things on the planet on a proverbial 'nice day'.

Greg

I think I win.

Bees

There are frickin' bees everywhere today!

2y9ahupu.jpg

With the corn fields around I seen some mornings where the fog was to thick to see 100y... but an hour or two later its good to go. Also, since the drive is about a 2.5 hour round trip to my 1k range if the roads are bad (ice and snow) I don't care to share them with the idiots in the morning traffic rush. Nothing keeps me from my personal 100y range though but I don't recall ever having a -25 day, LOL, that's cold... might have to shoot out of an open window ;)

Mid seventies, direct overhead sun, 3-5 mph breeze at my back

That being said, have shot whilst tornado sirens were blaring, raining heavy enough to have water running out chamber of shotgun if keep muzzle up, 120+ in Iraq, first time I shot my new savage back '10 the wife and I were laying in 18-36 inches of snow depending on the drift at that yard line.

I will shoot in the heat with my brother Slickrick, but prefer cold weather (freezing and below) to the other end of the temp spread. One thing about deep cold is that I usually have the range to myself. Used to stop at a range on the way to law school in Jan/Feb early in the morning. Lots of good shooting and load development without distractions.

how do you get good data without shooting in all conditions, weather never stopped me but a few a my friends

We have a match where we shoot 5 rounds each from 2,3,4,5 and 600 yards. We had a shoot last winter when the 2nd. relay only got off a few rounds from 500 and got snowed out a 600. Snow was so thick they could not see the targets. I was in the 1st. relay.

I like to shoot/train in extreme weather conditions. That way I know how/what gear works and what doesn't.

I've busted snow drifts with my truck just to get my favorite spot. Weather dictates what I'm shooting I'm done picking brass up through 2 feet of snow.

Shot 1207 yards at a man size silhouette in rain and full value 20+ mph winds. 4.5 mil hold for wind on my 260 to get there. Fun times!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Competed in the 1997 NJ State Sniper Championships (paper at 300yd), weather was snow flurries that sometimes completely veiled the target. Our 2-shooter Team took 3rd overall.

I figure weather was in the +20's, wind at 9 O'clock gusting to 15mph. I don't know how much farther I'd like to go in that direction; I've sat all day on an elevated deer stand in +15 with a sub-zero wind chill, and I know danged well I'll never willingly do that again. Funny, though; I just ordered a complete set of Snow Camo shells, gloves, and hat from Amazon.

Heat is my Nemesis. When it gets over 80, I'm heading for shelter. It seems to be a legacy of some cumulative medical events.

Greg

Last edited:
I dont mind shooting in on hot days, I have a picture some where of a kestril reading 118F air temp. If its cold now that's another story, under +40F i want to stay in bed and hibernate.

Worst conditions I will shoot in. I wouldn't lay in a pile of ants and shoot. I would have to move off to the side. I won't shoot when I have to work, that happens a lot. That is about it, so far.

Last shot at Mid Mo for our group this year. 200 yards at an apple in a piss ant drowner, Not much wind but the mud hole I was laying in was great. George was spotting for us and the brakes were spraying mud everywhere. All in all a good time, apple never shot back.

R

A deployed combat zone. 3x.

They all suck.

Suck it up and go to the one way 'range'. Or not and choose to do something else.

Its free country, real sacrifices are being made by others so that everyone else doesn't have to sacrifice & gets to do what they want to do when they want to do it.

Some folks 'train as they fight' others are fair weather wanna-be warriors.

Ballistics are different from 65 degrees and gentle breeze and 20 degrees with snow and 15 mph winds at 10,000+ feet.

That all sounds horribly judgemental, but, it is what it is.

Me? I am retired. I don't train for a shoot out in someone elses house or rushing across open country under fire checking for IED's.

I hate elk hunting (hiking) the mountains but love elk. I'd rather pay with my body hiking around 10,000 feet than with my wallet at the supermarket.

To each their own. God Bless America.

~Will

Last edited:
I shoot here in Texas when it get brutally hot. The biggest problem I have is the 300 yard to 600 yard lanes are not under a roof and I keep getting salt in my eyes. Usually quit by Noon or 1:00 Oclock. When it goes down to 96 degrees I can last longer.
How hot does it get here>

i know what you mean buddy im just a few hours away in south texas and here the only seasons are summer and the rest of the year, summer goes up to 110 sometimes hotter its not fun but you get use to it

Have shot in -52 and up to 112. If it was lower or higher I still would shoot. Get some good dope at those extremes.

Well couldn't work today because of 18 degree wind chill, 15 mph north wind and occasional bouts of sleet. Bored as hell but got to thinking- the range is probably vacant! I,m gonna give it a try!

OK an update on the previous post. At the range- 16 degree windchill, 20mph wind and steady sleet. Got out the truck and took a sleet pellet into the left ear- Damn. Fished that out- took a sleet pellet in the corner of the left eye- Son of a Bitch! Remembered I've got beer in the gunroom fridge- better get back and take care of that. Driving home I realized as a Pipeliner I work in this kind of shit and don't really want to play in it!

I went to the range today while it was snowing and 3 degrees. There was a 20 mph wind and I was laying in the snow. I just busted out the isomat and some cold weather clothes. I was the only one there. My face was freezing but it was worth it.

I train the first Monday of every month. Doesn't matter the weather rain, snow, heat or cold. Nothing like having a range day interrupted by a tornado siren.

After 21 years in the Army and 5 conflicts around the world, the worst condition I will shoot is nothing below 70 degrees or above 80 degrees, winds between 0 to 4 miles an hour, just my choice now. Call me a wimp.

There were 13 of us that shot in a practical rifle match last Saturday when the cold temperature on the way to the range was 12F, and the average temperature during the match was 18-22F. High temperature later in the day was 25F. Some shooters would unscrew their suppressors after firing a stage and pass them around to be used as hand warmers...Interesting use of suppressors, and effecive too!

I go to my cabin near Ely MN a few times a winter, its beautiful, its very remote, and its AMAZINGLY cold. I shoot for that reason. I get to see what kind of deviation I get in my hand loads from 90 in the summer to -40 in the winter, which is always interesting to me, and I get to train to shoot in very adverse conditions. Its hard to get the perfect position and set up for the shot in 3" or more of snow. I keep my distances reasonably short 2-400 yds mainly because its the dark dense forest so finding distance can be tricky.

I think that shooting in really tough conditions teaches us to be better in ideal conditions. You don't have to spend too much time out in -40 to get value, but use adversity to become better in the ideal.

Thats my thoughts on it.

C_K

Whats the absolute worst conditions you'll go shooting?

95 degrees in baking sun with 10 mph winds.

I hate hot weather but my fingers don't function well in the cold, so I'd rather deal with sunscreen, sunburns, and wind than achy shaky fingers.

Last edited:
I went this a.m. at 15, no wind. Not bad conditions actually. I've done all of the rain, snow, heat, etc. I don't have to prove anything any longer, so for the most part, unless I'm getting paid to be doing it or a last resort before a trip somewhere, I pay a mortgage for a reason. I mainly went this a.m. to test some practice loads for hunting, good also that I had the heavier clothing and gloves, etc. working on positions.

If the range is open, I am shooting. I've shot in snow storms and thunder storms. I was at the range this morning with my shooting partner when they opened and it was 27 degrees F with a windchill of 18. Laid prone on top of the ice and got a solid 2 hours of range time in. If a comp is going to continue in those kinds of conditions then so am I.

My worst ever was last saturday. Lines of thunderstorms coming through all of GA. I thought it would blow out quick but i was wrong. Went from 50 degrees with light drizzle to high 30's, horizontal rain in 40mph winds. Fog and all kinds of shit. lossing sight of target at 100 yards. And I'm faily certain we had a tornado in the area. That lasted for 3 hours. Meeting friend ther so i couldnt puss out, but should have stayed home. Sunday was beautiful.... Saturday I was soaked before first round went down range. On a good note, no one else was there to bother us.

Going shooting on Thursday. They are call for -10F air temp and -35F to -40F windchill. Just means I have add another layer, maybe wear my hunting gear.

I'll shoot anytime the range is open. I actually prefer to go when the weather is the crappiest, so it'll be less crowded. Supposed to be 7 degrees F tomorrow, and we've received 3 inches of snow today. I'll be at the range tomorrow within an hour of the UPS man dropping off my t4a.

Went through sniper school in -50 to -60 windchills and SRT school in 110 degree temps so I guess I'll shoot in any weather.

I am always short in time. I will shoot in cold or rain but usually not both.