• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the current word on Christensen quality?

UpSideDown

↑ → ↓
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2019
So what's the word on Christensen? Are people still having a large amount of issues, or are they up to par now?

I'm looking at getting a more appropriate lightweight hunting rifle, with a reasonable price, that will handle Elk, Black Bear, down to Blacktail and Cougar. This will be primarily a hunting gun with some fun benchrest use, looking at the 7mm Rem Mag. As much as I love my Tikka and would grab another, their stocks are absolute garbage and the Christensen Mesa looks like a more appropriate package ready to go for about $1,250. I've heard some pretty poor opinions on the Christensen stuff, but I've also heard they brought a lot of manufacturing in-house in the last couple years and improved a lot of their issues.

Christensen brought their barrels and manufacturing in house several years ago. Switched to trigger tech triggers too. I’ve pondered a Ridgeline for over a year...

I can't speak on anything except my experience. My dad bought a Christensen MPR last winter. It was really finicky with finding a load, took at least a couple hundred rounds to find its sweet spot, but once it did, its shooting half inch groups pretty consistently. Seems like a nicely built rifle, I'm not a fan of the folding stock as it rattles a bit, but otherwise feels nice. I'm not sure the CF does anything to dissipate heat, but I also haven't seen them claim it does, like others do (maybe im wrong). Its a nice light rifle, I like their muzzle brake. I would probably buy one myself.

Reactions: UpSideDown
Why risk it. Buy from companies known for quality
Because there's nothing out there that I know of that is as reasonably priced for a hunting rifle, that also has easily interchangeable parts. Bergaras are cool until you need to change barrels. Seekins is more money and a different stock style. Tikkas have Tikka stocks. Remingtons are made by Remington.

So why not put your current Tikka, or a new one, in a McMillan, Manners, etc. stock? Or a lightweight chassis if your preference leans that way? You're absolutely right; I don't understand why Tikka puts such a great barreled action with decent trigger into a crappy plastic stock.

Here's my old T3X Varmint in an MDT LSS-XL / Skeleton chassis/buttstock with an Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle and MDT M-lok ARCA rail. I haven't hunted in years; if I still did, I'd be looking at McMillan or Manners stocks.

713ACBC6-D545-40D1-861D-C6F6181E9C12_1_105_c.jpeg

So why not put your current Tikka, or a new one, in a McMillan, Manners, etc. stock? Or a lightweight chassis if your preference leans that way? You're absolutely right; I don't understand why Tikka puts such a great barreled action with decent trigger into a crappy plastic stock.

Here's my old T3X Varmint in an MDT LSS-XL / Skeleton chassis/buttstock with an Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle and MDT M-lok ARCA rail. I haven't hunted in years; if I still did, I'd be looking at McMillan or Manners stocks.
That is an option I considered first. The price of the package then comes to $1,300+ for the barreled action and a stock, with a 3 month wait. Some of the nicer stocks I found for the Tikka are now out of production or pulled from websites. It's still an option, the Mesa Composites stocks look good.

I just put a bell and carlson m40 stock on my tikka T3. Here's the first 2 groups after installation. I would recommend going with a new stock and keeping the tikka over the christensen arms also

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2020-08-13 13:31:00.956121.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2020-08-13 13:31:00.956121.png
    3 MB · Views: 98
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2020-08-13 13:28:57.938649.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2020-08-13 13:28:57.938649.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
I just put a bell and carlson m40 stock on my tikka T3. Here's the first 2 groups after installation. I would recommend going with a new stock and keeping the tikka over the christensen arms also
How do you like the Bell and Carlson? I've heard very mixed reviews but I've thought they're comfortable and they're supposed to have a full aluminum rib inside for the Tikka?

I'm buying a new gun for this purpose so it's not particularly about money savings. My Tikka is a 6.5cm CTR that's staying a benchrest/fun gun that weighs 13 pounds. I have an itch for a sexy gun, and Tikka's are difficult to get in that sexy aspect for me. If I could find a Superlite or Lite and toss it in a nice stock I would be game for that if it's a legit combo. Being a hunting rifle, I'm not really interested in a multi-month wait for an expensive stock or custom work. I want something straightforward that looks, that I want to use, that shoots well.

Here’s a thread. Look at my first post and it gives you my experience and opinion. In short, CS if first rate. Gun is a tack driver.

How do you like the Bell and Carlson? I've heard very mixed reviews but I've thought they're comfortable and they're supposed to have a full aluminum rib inside for the Tikka?

I'm buying a new gun for this purpose so it's not particularly about money savings. My Tikka is a 6.5cm CTR that's staying a benchrest/fun gun that weighs 13 pounds. I have an itch for a sexy gun, and Tikka's are difficult to get in that sexy aspect for me. If I could find a Superlite or Lite and toss it in a nice stock I would be game for that if it's a legit combo. Being a hunting rifle, I'm not really interested in a multi-month wait for an expensive stock or custom work. I want something straightforward that looks, that I want to use, that shoots well.
I really like it. I bought it knowing it wasn't top of the line like manners or McMillan, but I also didn't feel like waiting for months, or over a year, for a new stock, so I decided to try the bell and carlson. It's a very nice weight, not heavy at all, and unfortunately for that reason it isnt as stiff as higher end stocks, but it is still plenty stiff enough for my use, which is hunting and range time also. I was thinking I was going to have to bed the recoil lug to get the most out of it, which might still help with those fliers, but with half moa groups, I feel the aluminum bedding block is doing a damn fine job already. I love the m40 stock also, its a very comfortable grip for me.

I also wanted to buy a lite and put it in a manners, and I still might, but im very happy with my varmint in a B&C. Big difference over the plastic stock it came with. One downside with a B&C that I have noticed though, is the barrel channel being big enough for a varmint barrel if you have a smaller profile. I'm not sure if they do custom sizes for thinner barrels like manners or mcmillan.

I have a Christensen arms traverse in 7mm rem mag and I love it. One of if not my favorite rifle it is crazy accurate with factory ammo and light as a feather. My friend owns a BA tactical in 6.5 and it is also awesome. I personally would not hesitate to buy another

I have a Christensen arms traverse in 7mm rem mag and I love it. One of if not my favorite rifle it is crazy accurate with factory ammo and light as a feather. My friend owns a BA tactical in 6.5 and it is also awesome. I personally would not hesitate to buy another
I was eyeing a 7RM Mesa! The total lack of match ammo, me not reloading kinda makes me lean more towards a .308. Extra reach out here in the West would be nice so I have to decide how much I want to shoot $2/Rd hunting ammo explicitly.

My Dad has a thing for bell and Carlson. He must have 10 of them.

Every last one has shot great with zero bedding. They have a cast aluminum block for the action.

That said, he was a bigger fan when they were $200, but he still shoots good enough. One is a 6brx with a benchmark barrel in a factory 700 that is a true .25" gun any day.

20200704_034115.jpg
my sexy mtn tikka superlite with AGcomposites stock, waiting time on stock was about 3 weeks purchased from OMRifles, very happy with how this tuned out.

I own 2 CA Ridgelines in 300WM purchased in 2018 and still being used as "loaner" rifles.

Both shoot exceedingly well with ABM 300WM 215 Bergers out to 1K on game and 1 mile rocks with reckless aplomb.

Both have Zeiss V4 -25x glass and have had no complaints from buddies that have used them from OR to NM to MT.

The only complaint I have with them is the narrow fore-end but thats easily remedied.

So with my limited 2 rifle sampling, I am have no reason not to recommend CA.

View attachment 7404944my sexy mtn tikka superlite with AGcomposites stock, waiting time on stock was about 3 weeks purchased from OMRifles, very happy with how this tuned out.

that’s a great looking gun. That’s exactly what I wanted to do until I found out the Superlite is no longer made and AG pulled the Tikka models from their site. I didn’t know OMR could still get the Tikka stocks from them. How do you like the AG stock? I was between hem and Mesa Composites

This thread is exactly why I bought a custom action, barrel, trigger, and stock.
You spend$2500-$3000 and get a premium rifle that shoots

This thread is exactly why I bought a custom action, barrel, trigger, and stock.
You spend$2500-$3000 and get a premium rifle that shoots
Yeah I’m doing my best to avoid that.... every gun I buy turns into a $3,000+ build and I’m really trying to make myself not do that on this one so I don’t feel bad beating it up as a legit hunting rifle. I just can’t bring myself to go buy a Savage or Ruger. I don’t have that level of self hatred in my life.

• Haha
Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
that’s a great looking gun. That’s exactly what I wanted to do until I found out the Superlite is no longer made and AG pulled the Tikka models from their site. I didn’t know OMR could still get the Tikka stocks from them. How do you like the AG stock? I was between hem and Mesa Composites

AG makes Mesa’s stocks

AG still makes the Alpine Hunter for the Tikka, call them and talk to Pam and she can get an order in for you. I just got a second one last week.

You can still buy superlites if you search online, if you cant find one look for the veil weidland its still the same rifle but comes with a threaded barrel and Muzzle brake.
AG stock is very nice fit and finish, I have a bell & carlson on a model 70 and stock feels to heavy and wide. I cant say about the Mesa stock but I will be ordering one pretty soon for another superlite I will be building.

You can still buy superlites if you search online, if you cant find one look for the veil weidland its still the same rifle but comes with a threaded barrel and Muzzle brake.
AG stock is very nice fit and finish, I have a bell & carlson on a model 70 and stock feels to heavy and wide. I cant say about the Mesa stock but I will be ordering one pretty soon for another superlite I will be building.
Good to hear on the AG.

The Wideland looks cool, but $1,100 is a fair chunk for what is still a Tikka in a cheap stock haha. Brake and threaded barrel would be nice.

Just unboxed a brand new steel barrel MPR in 65PRC. I don’t know that I would have taken a risk on the carbon barrel, but the chassis alone was worth rolling the dice on the steel barrel version. Going to send some rounds down range middle of next week when I get to the lease, will report back.

What made you dislike it?
Imo it was a pretty crude action. Bases were pretty far off had to bed everything that went on it. Significant barrel contact in the channel. Very messy spot bed on the lug running down the barrel channel. Stock cracked in the inlet they just filled it with epoxy. Muzzle belled (1/2x28 on a 300 win mag). After 400 rounds. Stock changes, everything I tried it stoped shooting. It shot good for around 300 though.

Traded it for a tikka, best thing I ever did.

Most reviews are bad. You may be satisfied but be aware you are rolling the dice.

Or you could buy something like this and have a way better rifle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200823-112544_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200823-112544_Chrome.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 328
I have a ridgeline 7 rem mag for a hunting gun. Only complaint is with the radial brake shooting prone but tough to blame the gun for that. Shoots .5-.75 MOA with the 155gr hammers which is plenty good enough for me. Good value imo.

We sell upwards to 10 Christensen rifles a week (part time job for pro staff discounts) and I have not had one come back in the last 4 months for any reason. I don't know how much this says about the quality but last year, we had several come back for accuracy issues (not even close to sub MOA). Does it mean an increase in quality? I don't know. But that is all the info I have. As a comparison, we have at least one Remington a month come back for repairs and we don't sell nearly as many. Take it for what it's worth. Also, I cannot echo the criticism many have regarding CA customer service. Perhaps it is because we are a huge dealer?

Last edited:
Have an MPR. Very happy with it. Would buy again.

FWIW I switched to the MPR from Tikka and haven’t looked back.

My Dad has a thing for bell and Carlson. He must have 10 of them.

Every last one has shot great with zero bedding. They have a cast aluminum block for the action.
B&C says their bedding blocks are made of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy. 6061 is not a casting alloy and no one makes castings from it

B&C says their bedding blocks are made of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy. 6061 is not a casting alloy and no one makes castings from it
You’re correct, so that would likely be an extrusion. Likely just flat bar or a simple profile with some drilling? I haven’t seen it.

You’re correct, so that would likely be an extrusion. Likely just flat bar or a simple profile with some drilling? I haven’t seen it.
I've seen what they look like and there's no way that could be made as an extrusion unless you extruded a rectangular bar and machined the shit out of it.

Based on the pictures I've seen of them, I'm about 99% sure they are milled from square or rectangular bar and have a tail piece (which looks like tubing with one end flattened) welded to the back.

Pics: http://8541tactical.com/2011_shot_show_5.php#bc

Holy cow I didn’t know they had a full chassis inside there. For the price of them that’s awesome.

is the fit and finish of the commercial models better than the OEM supplied ones? I had a Remington 700 Long Range with the B&C M40 on it and it was pretty poor fit, but fairly comfortable.

is the fit and finish of the commercial models better than the OEM supplied ones?

I have no idea. Both that I've had were aftermarket and both were made well enough commensurate with their price.

Comfort is subjective.

Honestly thats a more respectable block than I had ever given them credit for.

They really are quite a good option if they have a style for your rifle that suits you.

They would have a winner if their 2093 would come inletted for a popular AICS DBM. As it is, for the $415 this thing costs you can buy a KRG X-Ray or Bravo and get more functionality for the same or less money.

1598287870118.png

I bought a CA RIdgeline in 7mm RM last year. Great shooting rifle for the price. The only thing I wasnt too crazy about was the straight wrist stock profile. I live out West where LR hunting is a virtual requirement in most cases and that stock doesnt lend itself well to that application. I just replaced it with an Elite CF shell Manners MCS-T with a DBM Mini-Chassis. It now fits the bill as a perfect hunting rifle for my purposes and am very happy with it.

I bought a CA RIdgeline in 7mm RM last year. Great shooting rifle for the price. The only thing I wasnt too crazy about was the straight wrist stock profile. I live out West where LR hunting is a virtual requirement in most cases and that stock doesnt lend itself well to that application. I just replaced it with an Elite CF shell Manners MCS-T with a DBM Mini-Chassis. It now fits the bill as a perfect hunting rifle for my purposes and am very happy with it.
Yeah I’m out West as well, that grip is the one thing that looks odd on that rifle. It’s small and very straight. I don’t want to buy this thing and then put a $700 stock under it. I’d come out ahead building a Tikka at that point.

I never really thought of Bergaras as being difficult to rebarrel, especially when Bergara will rebarrel the rifle themselves for a pretty reasonable fee.

Every one I've dealt with sure looked cast. Absolutely nowhere close to what the pictures below show.
They were also all older ones, from when they were sub $200. Production changes or model specific bedding blocks?

I'm 99% sure the ones I've used had no aluminum forend. I carved 3/8" out of one to keep it from flexing into the barrel with light hand pressure. No way it would be that flimsy.

Every one I've dealt with sure looked cast. Absolutely nowhere close to what the pictures below show.
They were also all older ones, from when they were sub $200. Production changes or model specific bedding blocks?

I'm 99% sure the ones I've used had no aluminum forend. I carved 3/8" out of one to keep it from flexing into the barrel with light hand pressure. No way it would be that flimsy.

Not all B&C stocks have the alu block in them. If yout take a shiny piece of machined aluminumm and sandblast it enough it will look like a sand casting.

Yeah I’m out West as well, that grip is the one thing that looks odd on that rifle. It’s small and very straight. I don’t want to buy this thing and then put a $700 stock under it. I’d come out ahead building a Tikka at that point.
Right. I get that. At the time, I was on a short time frame to get a rifle that was ready to go for an elk hunt coming up. It got the job done, but now I like it MUCH better with the new stock.

I have played with a bunch of them.
Wouldn't buy anything in steel barrel again unless it was an MPR as the chassis is worth most of the price so if it shoots great if not oh well. The ridgeline is a great price buy along with the MPR carbon I have had 8 of them total and they all shot pretty well to be honest. for the money they can't be beat.

That said I deal with mostly all customs at this point.

Spent a little time with my new steel barrel 65PRC MPR. The chassis is amazing, action is fine, and rifle is accurate. Their muzzle brake is efficient. Rifle is accurate with 143 ELD-X ammo. Got 2875fps; ought to speed up a bit as the barrel breaks in some.