• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

im in northern nevada and a typical shot is...like you say...200yds IF your quite and patient but most are closer to 300+....im not a hunter but just about everyone i know is.
Are you in Elko? Winnemucca, Battle Mountain? I'm from the old school where everything above Vegas is "Northern Nevada" ?

Yes it is! Had cousins in Sparks and went to Reno all the time. Im 56, so not too far apart from each other. I worked for Lucky Concrete for a while. Did a bunch of work at Nevada Cement, poured a bunch of those big pads at the warehouses right on the north side of Fernley. Glad I got out of construction years ago.

Mcqueen was not yet a high school when I graduated in ‘81.

Im in Upper Michigan now. Long story, hope to see you out there if I get out that way soon enough?

we have most likely crossed paths a few times...ive been in roofing for 32yrs...ive been superintendent for one of the bigger companies in sparks for about 12yrs now..you ever get out this way look me up.

Reactions: sandwarrior
Son and I in the LGS today, looking over a couple of items of interest and discussing with one of the staff. An early-20s-looking guy, looking a bit lost, approaches the counter a few feet away. Another staffer approaches.

Staffer: Can I help you?
Kid: I want to buy a gun.
Staffer: What kind of gun are you interested in?
Kid: A cheap one.
Staffer: We have a good selection around the $500 mark (turns toward the rack full of new and used ARs).
Kid: That's great. I'd like one of those.

We walked away. I didn't want to know if this clueless young man walked out with a deadly firearm and absolutey no f***ing idea how to use it at all, let alone safely.

Son and I in the LGS today, looking over a couple of items of interest and discussing with one of the staff. An early-20s-looking guy, looking a bit lost, approaches the counter a few feet away. Another staffer approaches.

Staffer: Can I help you?
Kid: I want to buy a gun.
Staffer: What kind of gun are you interested in?
Kid: A cheap one.
Staffer: We have a good selection around the $500 mark (turns toward the rack full of new and used ARs).
Kid: That's great. I'd like one of those.

We walked away. I didn't want to know if this clueless young man walked out with a deadly firearm and absolutey no f***ing idea how to use it at all, let alone safely.
I hate to say it, but that's the kind of crap that drives me nuts at gun stores too.

Yes it is! Had cousins in Sparks and went to Reno all the time. Im 56, so not too far apart from each other. I worked for Lucky Concrete for a while. Did a bunch of work at Nevada Cement, poured a bunch of those big pads at the warehouses right on the north side of Fernley. Glad I got out of construction years ago.

Mcqueen was not yet a high school when I graduated in ‘81.

Im in Upper Michigan now. Long story, hope to see you out there if I get out that way soon enough?
You don't happen to sell Quigley Ford scopes now do you?

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
No idea what you're even talking about.
For your reading pleasure. First 3 pages are gold

That's a good place. Central to everything. I grew up in Fallon.

Holy fook.
We went out to Fallon a whole bunch of years ago with the B-1B so we could play chicken with the Navy.

Let's just say I met a girl while I was out there.
You don't look Irish/Mexican with brown eyes, do you?

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
a buddy of mine called me couple days ago..telling me how he sold his 20moa base and replaced it with a 0MOA base on his Bergara 243.
His reason..his rifle will be way more flat shooting because the scope wont be tilted forward. Try as I might I couldn't explain that the only things that will affect his 'flat shootiness' is scope to bore line measurement, bullet speed, and yardage he zeroes at. I told him to keep on researching and get back to me. He hasn't gotten back to me.

yes I know bullet speed is the only thing that actually affects trajectory out to 3-400 yards. He wanted a flat shooting 243 that he didn't have to dial out to 300 yards for coyotes using a projectile that was only going 3100fps. I suggested zeroing between 35 and 50 yards..whatever will work best with his scope height. Was I wrong?

Last edited:
a buddy of mine called me couple days ago..telling me how he sold his 20moa base and replaced it with a 0MOA base one his Bergara 243.
His reason..his rifle will be way more flat shooting because the scope wont be tilted forward. Try as I might I couldn't explain that the only things that will affect his 'flat shootiness' is scope to bore line measurement, bullet speed, and yardage he zeroes at. I told him to keep on researching and get back to me. He hasn't gotten back to me.
should have asked him why he didnt just turn the 20moa base backwards then

Holy fook.
We went out to Fallon a whole bunch of years ago with the B-1B so we could play chicken with the Navy.

Let's just say I met a girl while I was out there.
You don't look Irish/Mexican with brown eyes, do you?
Was it "pigs in space" night??‍???‍? Since you admitted to being Air Force, I know you weren't one of the six Navy guys down at the Nugget getting a blowjob from Ravishing Rita.

Last edited:
Nope, she was actually really cute but like many wimmin-folk, kinda nutty.

I see by one of your other posts that we are the same age, so you don't have any worries about me being your daddy.
:)

Never had any worries about that. I've come to realize over the years how much my dad DIDN'T know.

I worked with a guy at Mesaba Airlines that worked on B-1B's at Ellsworth. Jeff Kiecker, from Minnesota. That would've been late nineties, to 2k? Pretty sure he got out before 9/11.

If you were at Ellsworth, do you remember the NW Airlines Bus that landed there accidentally? Instead of RAP where he was supposed to land.

• Haha
a buddy of mine called me couple days ago..telling me how he sold his 20moa base and replaced it with a 0MOA base one his Bergara 243.

B069B6BB-7316-4BB3-AAA8-EADA1FB88324.gif

Never had any worries about that. I've come to realize over the years how much my dad DIDN'T know.

I worked with a guy at Mesaba Airlines that worked on B-1B's at Ellsworth. Jeff Kiecker, from Minnesota. That would've been late nineties, to 2k? Pretty sure he got out before 9/11.

If you were at Ellsworth, do you remember the NW Airlines Bus that landed there accidentally? Instead of RAP where he was supposed to land.

From 95 to 2k I was at Mountain Home.
Had been at Ellsworth for the previous 8yrs.
Got back there in late 2k.

I do remember the airliner incident. It happened more than once though.
Stupid pilots can't see the big giant 13 and 31 on the ends of the runway. SMDH

From 95 to 2k I was at Mountain Home.
Had been at Ellsworth for the previous 8yrs.
Got back there in late 2k.

I do remember the airliner incident. It happened more than once though.
Stupid pilots can't see the big giant 13 and 31 on the ends of the runway. SMDH
As a kid growing up, the F-111’s would come down all the time from Mountain Home and run B-16 four miles west of our house. I could watch them all day.

a buddy of mine called me couple days ago..telling me how he sold his 20moa base and replaced it with a 0MOA base on his Bergara 243.

yes I know bullet speed is the only thing that actually affects trajectory out to 3-400 yards. He wanted a flat shooting 243 that he didn't have to dial out to 300 yards for coyotes using a projectile that was only going 3100fps. I suggested zeroing between 35 and 50 yards..whatever will work best with his scope height. Was I wrong?

When I get conversation openers like that one I just answer "cool", smile, and go on my way.

I just don't engage with stupid shooters and gun owners. Nothing good can ever come of it.

As a kid growing up, the F-111’s would come down all the time from Mountain Home and run B-16 four miles west of our house. I could watch them all day.

They were long gone by the time I got there.
We had B-1B, F-15C,D and E models, F-16C and D, EC-135, KC-135R and AWACS.
The EC-135 and AWACS were considered geographically separated so we really didn't see them.

We were the first operational Composite Wing thanks to Gen McPeak. He's the same guy that gave us the airline pilot looking uniform. (Yay)

It was a great idea on paper and impossible to execute in real life.
Not once in 5 years did we ever deploy as a composite wing.

It was always fighters in a close location, and Bombers/Tankers separated by at least 8000 miles.
Never, ever at the same time.

Training was a nightmare for the folks that had to be proficient on all five airframes.

I loved Idaho, but couldn't wait to leave the base and return to the bomber world.

I think the problem in general with the composite concept is all too often it gets “supported” by people who don't inherently support the idea. That’s across the board militarily, not just AF. We ran into commanders all the time who thought their section could do it all. When in fact you need each piece of the puzzle to work proficiently together, not independently.

Of all the TAC aircraft available to us, I don't recall a specific time when our TAC-AIR guys ever called in B-1’s. The time frame was ‘81-‘85 so they might not have been online yet. Reagan wanted them up right away, but the process may have taken longer. I know guys who later did work with them.

Last edited:
LGS in central NC that is usually great has one employee that's only in the shop on the weekends has had some fantastic lines.

My wife was looking at getting a p365 XL to put a romeo 1 on for her "fanny pack" ccw for when she's walking on trails with our 10lbs gun. She asks the employee if he could place an order for a 365 xl. The guy assumes my wife knows nothing about what she is asking and starts explaining why he believes the sig p365 is a terrible gun because it jams all the time due to the magazine holding 10 rounds in such a small height mag. He proceeds to pull out a ~$350 heavily used Kimber 1911 and state, "this is what you need little lady. No one should be without a good, reliable 1911 at their side while out walking alone". My wife let's him know that she already has a Sig nightmare 1911 in 45 ACP so she understands the benefits of a 1911 and would just like to order a 365 xl. Guy refused to order one because he, "wouldn't want anything to happen to a pretty little lady because she bought a terrible gun". I caught the tail end, call the owner, got a 365 xl for $450 to keep our business.

Same guy a week earlier asked me why I want to build a custom bolt gun in 6.5CM. Let him know I'm looking at learning long rang shooting as I've only shot shitty sub-$500 hunting bolt guns and wanted something to use for both hunting and, hopefully, prs. His response was that 6.5CM was not enough bullet to take down deer and elk outside of 100y and doesn't have the ballistic capability to shoot to 1000y for prs. His recommendation was to start with a 338LM (which I have shot recently out of my brother-in-law's AXMC and loved) because it's the only round that "sniper wannabes" should shoot -.-

He no longer works there thankfully.

LGS in central NC that is usually great has one employee that's only in the shop on the weekends has had some fantastic lines.

My wife was looking at getting a p365 XL to put a romeo 1 on for her "fanny pack" ccw for when she's walking on trails with our 10lbs gun. She asks the employee if he could place an order for a 365 xl. The guy assumes my wife knows nothing about what she is asking and starts explaining why he believes the sig p365 is a terrible gun because it jams all the time due to the magazine holding 10 rounds in such a small height mag. He proceeds to pull out a ~$350 heavily used Kimber 1911 and state, "this is what you need little lady. No one should be without a good, reliable 1911 at their side while out walking alone". My wife let's him know that she already has a Sig nightmare 1911 in 45 ACP so she understands the benefits of a 1911 and would just like to order a 365 xl. Guy refused to order one because he, "wouldn't want anything to happen to a pretty little lady because she bought a terrible gun". I caught the tail end, call the owner, got a 365 xl for $450 to keep our business.

Same guy a week earlier asked me why I want to build a custom bolt gun in 6.5CM. Let him know I'm looking at learning long rang shooting as I've only shot shitty sub-$500 hunting bolt guns and wanted something to use for both hunting and, hopefully, prs. His response was that 6.5CM was not enough bullet to take down deer and elk outside of 100y and doesn't have the ballistic capability to shoot to 1000y for prs. His recommendation was to start with a 338LM (which I have shot recently out of my brother-in-law's AXMC and loved) because it's the only round that "sniper wannabes" should shoot -.-

He no longer works there thankfully.

Just think before there was the internet that guy was the authority in the area and people listened to him.

For your reading pleasure. First 3 pages are gold

How on earth did I miss that thread??? It's pure gold!

Here is a reference thread I created awhile ago. Prepare to lose some time.

Not gonna lie... "cash it motherfucker cash it" caused coffee to exit my nostrils!!

Could be the most epic thread I have ever come across. Amazing.
There are better ones out there.

Paparockal........velcro sneakers..........cockfag

From my local gun shop... "I only sell high end NF scopes because anyone spending that kind of money should have a scope that can survive a bomb blast overseas"

Keep in mind this guy is also a Vortex dealer but refuses to sell the Razor line because he wants to sell more NF scopes...

So the guy implies blowing up something with an airstrike that is allso full of explosives danger close may cave a cheap scope?

The guy may have that T-shirt.

Keep your mouth open while testing this.

This past week a buddy & we’re at the pistol range. Another guy & his buddy who we know quite well we’re also there. We started bullshitting a little & we gave them some pointers along the way as they were clearly in need.

I told the one guy that if he were to throw the gun forward in a punching motion and then pull the trigger it would double the kinetic energy on target. He didn’t believe me so I had to double down & lay it on real thick. I cleared my pistol & demoed a few times. The guy unloaded his pistol & tried it a few times as well. I told him “No! You’ve got to throw it like a man. You’re throwing it like a bitch.” He practiced throwing it a few more times & I told I’m it was much better. I told him his 9 MM would have the power of a .45!

As we walked back down range one of the guys went w/ us while the other guy was using the head. My buddy asked me if I was going to unfuck this guy because he had obviously bought this bullshit. I told him to let it go for a while longer. As he was coming back he heard us talking & the game was up.

That was some some funny shit. I still can’t believe the guy bought it. SMH...

Thin line between fun and horse play on a range these days.

Lots of things us old guys did and went through in times past will now get you tossed if the wrong pissy type sees it and cries a little tiny pissy tear.

Be careful out there of those folks.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Not the worst but considering who it came from. I was told by a range officer at a military rifle shoot that you can't single load the magazine of a Nagant 91/30. He was butting in on my lesson to a buddy being a big head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Not the worst but considering who it came from. I was told by a range officer at a military rifle shoot that you can't single load the magazine of a Nagant 91/30. He was butting in on my lesson to a buddy being a big head.

Absolutely despise people who show up with unsolicited advice. 99.9% of them are complete morons.

Last edited: