• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

Overheard a sales rep at the Academy gun counter talking to a customer about the lack of rifle ammo on the shelves..."the only reason to ever squeeze the trigger on a rifle is to shoot a deer or a hog. If people weren't just hoarding ammo, then every deer and hog in the country would have been killed by now".

Yes it is. Here's a pic. Some say it is only 3 shots.. well good enough for me. 6.5 Amax with 28.3 gr. XBR
ypamyses.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Anybody witness you shooting that group at 300yds, use a scope or just iron sights? That's gotta be some kind of record

I was wondering when someone would ask that ^^^^

Huge difference between "a group" and consistent "groups". The group is impressive and worthy of taking a photo of and bragging about. However, it still doesn't convince me that a bullet self-stabilizes. I think the phenomenon people experience is simply that they try harder at 100 yards than at 300 yards because they can see the target better at 100 yards. At 300 yards you cannot see the target as well so you relax and focus on the fundamentals, not on what you can see thru your optic. I hope that makes sense.
Not trying to be a jerk, I would proudly display that group also waveslayer. It is impressive regardless.

Heard this one last week at the range from a guy teaching his gf how to shoot. "Don't ever put your cheek on the stock, its going to make the gun move too much. Just put your eye up to the scope, and pull the trigger."

Reactions: jb41291
Well actually in shoot a 308 now that groups 2 inches plus at 100 but shoots about 1 inch at 300 yards. I even have a 6.5 Grendel that does that too. .5 in at 300 and about 1.5 at 100 yards. Kinds nuts.

it doesnt make sense because its fucking retarded and impossible. welcome to the hide.

Billy, is your post meant to agree with waveslayer?

Notice this key quote from that article:
The phenomenon of smaller angular groups at longer ranges was not disproven.

Waveslayer is referencing linear measurements, while Litz is referring to angular measurements. Two very distinctively different conversations. The situation waveslayer describes is not really possible, or at least not probable with the projectiles and rifles we are using. A smaller ANGULAR group measurement at distance is very very possible. Point in fact, I can replicate it any time with a 375CT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich4
AWC

So I was on a flight home and this marine range master was beside me. We got talking and he was trying to tell me that after 800 yards a 50 bmg starts to tumble end over end because it starts to "spin back on itself" and that's why it was so accurate.

Needless to say I'm glad the flight landed ten minutes later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
that AWC thunder trap sucks that's one of the most stuiped things I ever heard

Billy, is your post meant to agree with waveslayer?

Notice this key quote from that article:

Waveslayer is referencing linear measurements, while Litz is referring to angular measurements. Two very distinctively different conversations. The situation waveslayer describes is not really possible, or at least not probable with the projectiles and rifles we are using. A smaller ANGULAR group measurement at distance is very very possible.

Also, I could be wrong (because their were some very big words in that article for a public school educated kid like me), but didn't he (Brian) state that even if it does exist, the "wobble" is worked out before even the first 50 yards.....sometimes within 12 yards? That's well before 100 yards.

That was a very interesting article, but apparently even the effect he described was so minimal that it would probably not even be noticeable. Definitely not cutting groups in half at triple the distance.

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, mearly adding to the conversation. I have seen groups get smaller, as far as angular measurements go with more range. This is especially true if the rifle in question has a twist rate that might be border-line for the bullet. My wife's 243 will shoot 3/4" from 100 to 300 yards. The groups don't "shrink", unless you are talking in MOA.
The barrel is a factory 9.25" twist, firing 105 Amax.

Just had a 2 day gun show this weekend. The usual dumb shit being said... but these here induce the most rage every time. We have suppressors for sale, and have a bunch of them on display at each show.

"Between me, you, and the fence post... I've played around with building my own suppressors you know... because I have a lathe and stuff."
"I can make my own suppressor with some PVC pipe and a couple washers!"

I think if I hear one more fucking idiot, telling me about the illegal shit he's tried or is trying to do, I'm going to break his fucking knees. I tell them, "This HTA Guardian 22 right here will cost you $400 after all paperwork, taxes, and fees. Is $400 worth risking 10 years in prison, and a hundred thousand dollar fine?" I'm usually met with a blank face. If any of you goddamn idiots that said this to me at the recent gun show are reading this... let me remind you:
LMAO, thats funny "I have a lathe....... and STUFF " I wonder what his "STUFF" consist of , some duck tape , pliers and a hack saw. because thats all you would need if you were making one out of pvc and washers. I would love to ask him why the fuck do you need a lathe to make a pvc suppressor ? Truth be know the fencepost he was talking about was probably smarter than he is. Next time just tell him you would like to see how well his Bob Vila suppresor preforms at the range and have an officer there when he shows up.

Last edited:
Reactions: LooseGoose
I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, mearly adding to the conversation. I have seen groups get smaller, as far as angular measurements go with more range. This is especially true if the rifle in question has a twist rate that might be border-line for the bullet. My wife's 243 will shoot 3/4" from 100 to 300 yards. The groups don't "shrink", unless you are talking in MOA.
The barrel is a factory 9.25" twist, firing 105 Amax.

we have kind of went on and on about this before. general consensus was that it is explained most easily by shooters trying harder since its longer distance, or advancing to 300 after shooting 100 and being warmed up. I think most people have had days when they just got an amazing group that is smaller in size than shorter distances. But I am much convinced that its a fluke. Shoot enough rounds inside of a cone of fire and sooner or later its bound to happen, but its happenstance.. not ballistic mojo black magic. But thats just one hillbillies opinion :) take it fwiw..

Reactions: Fig
At a local gun rang a while back and heard this.

Shooter: why are 22 rem fire not allowed at 100 yard range?
RO: 22 are not fast enough to make it. You'd have to hold over the target to get an hit and that's dangerous.

Press conference , Ft Hood- Lieutenant General Mark A. Milley "I dont think soldiers should be able to carry on base" "Our law enforcement is highly trained and can deal with any threat"

To me that statement falls under STUPID.
Goddamn right it does. ... and now more people are dead because of that asshole's stupidity.

A LGS I have heard a couple of times the sales person tell potential customers that Glocks don't have a safety so they are not for beginners. Apparently you can just pull the trigger and shoot so they take more discipline to master than something like a 1911 that has a manual safety and grip safety.

An officer with my former department had problems with a Glock 19 jamming. The problem was traced back to a dirty pistol. I asked when the pistol was last cleaned. I was told that the fellow at the gun counter who sold the pistol informed the officer that Glock's didn't need to be cleaned. I said "you sure as hell didn't hear that in any class I taught". Apparently, because Glocks were so new and high tech, the gun counter fellow figured that they had eliminated the need to clean them.

After a very cursory cleaning, the pistol worked just fine. I then asked the officer if they still believed that the pistol didn't need cleaning. The obvious answer was "NO."

I guess Ron White is correct: "You can't fix stupid."

I was told by my nephew in-law, who was showing me his new rifle, that it was OK that he pointed at me because he checked it earlier in the day. I was displeased with his ignorance of the safety rules.

I was told by my nephew in-law, who was showing me his new rifle, that it was OK that he pointed at me because he checked it earlier in the day. I was displeased with his ignorance of the safety rules.

Amen... Tell him "Guns Grow Bullets". I tell this to students all day long.

At a local gun shop several years back;

"I just went to Canada to shoot black bears. REALLY big bears up there. Dangerous as hell. If you shoot and wound one...The Mounties will SEIZE your rifle as well as your vehicle".

Me.... "What did you use for a rifle"?

"I used a .308 Weatherby Magnum, with two hundred grain bullets".

ME...."Really...I knew they made a THEE HUNDRED mag".

"Yeah. I had them build me this one bigger for the bear hunt".

Most STUPID thing I've ever been told;

This won't hurt a bit...

Shooting related;

"My .270 is zeroed at 1000"

The shooter in question then proceeded to demonstrate how to pattern a shotgun, with said .270, oh, at 100 meters.

Perhaps the meters aspect confused him. Clearly the .270 was zeroed at 1000 YARDS!!

I work at a gun store up in Canada. I've been heard of farmers who "pop eggs at 600 yards" with 17 hmrs people with friends who own 12 thousand dollar guns that can out shoot the Toronto swat team "I've seen him shoot a 5 shot group at a kilometer and a half you can cover with a quarter"

Favorite was the guy who was looking at a Savage 110ba in 300w mag who was convinced you needed to zero the scope at 600 yards.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I heard a guy at a gunshop (not my local gunshop, or I would have called him on it):

The Glock is naturally safer than the H&Ks, because with a safety you are more likely to hold your finger on the trigger, so when the safety's off you can have an accident.

His theory: Safeties make you lose trigger discipline.

My favorite statement is about cartridge "X"…. "My whatever make rifle, in caliber "x" shoots so flat it's dead on from 0-500yds"... or whatever. Then you show them a simple ballistic app and they look at you like you just slapped their mother. I always like to say "It's physics brother!"

My current "boss" made a statement the other day…"When I was Sheriff I didn't let my guys use a 100yd zero's with a 5.56/M4 platform because at 200 yds you have to aim over their heads to hit the target (man sized target) and that's not safe."…..Can't make this shit up.

Last edited:
My current "boss" made a statement the other day…"When I was Sheriff I didn't let my guys use a 100yd zero's with a 5.56/M4 platform because at 200 yds you have to aim over their heads to hit the target (man sized target) and that's not safe."…..Can't make this shit up.
Yeah, law enforcement guys say some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Reactions: DirtyContractor
My favorite statement is about cartridge "X"…. "My whatever make rifle, in caliber "x" shoots so flat it's dead on from 0-500yds"... or whatever. Then you show them a simple ballistic app and they look at you like you just slapped their mother. I always like to say "It's physics brother!"

Your boss is, I suspect, not stupid; but, perhaps, he was not well equipped to instruct on the matter. At any rate, he was at least partially right about the 100 yard zero in overall gist of it not being appropriate for reasons he may or may not have understood himself. For starters, if the M4 has a BDC sight, a 100 yard zero would preclude the BDC function. Also, for PD's that do not need the 6/3 BDC function, a 200 yard zero is seen to produce a better aiming solution for the likely scenarios envisioned requiring the use of a patrol rifle.

Last edited:
Your boss is, I suspect, not stupid; but, perhaps, he was not well equipped to instruct on the matter. At any rate, he was at least partially right about the 100 yard zero in overall gist of it not being appropriate for reasons he may or may not have understood himself..

There's plenty of ways to "zero" your rifle (25, 50, 37, 100, etc.) Regardless of caliber, muzzle velocity etc, 100yd zero is pretty common. For an M4ish rifle (5.56, 55gr-77gr) a 100yd zero is going to put you anywhere between approximatley 1.5"-3" low at 200yds. Whether this is a good zero for LEO's or not I will not argue. I think each shooter must answer that for themselves. I will say that if you're going after a center mass hit on a man sized target @200yds a 100yd zero will serve you well. He says wild shit all the time with no explanation behind it. "Glocks are junk, and 416's blow". I say roger that and move on lol. Keeps me entertained to say the least.

There's plenty of ways to "zero" your rifle (25, 50, 37, 100, etc.) Regardless of caliber, muzzle velocity etc, 100yd zero is pretty common. For an M4ish rifle (5.56, 55gr-77gr) a 100yd zero is going to put you anywhere between approximatley 1.5"-3" low at 200yds. Whether this is a good zero for LEO's or not I will not argue. I think each shooter must answer that for themselves. I will say that if you're going after a center mass hit on a man sized target @200yds a 100yd zero will serve you well. He says wild shit all the time with no explanation behind it. "Glocks are junk, and 416's blow". I say roger that and move on lol. Keeps me entertained to say the least.

A 100 yard zero on an M4 is only common among recreational shooters as it prevents use of the BDC function; and thus, the ability to address the two likely targeting scenarios, hitting UKD and KD targets from muzzle to 600 meters using a center of mass hold.

With a 300 meter BSZ set on the BDC sight, we can use a center of mass hold to produce good hits from the muzzle to about 400 meters; and we can use the BDC function to hit KD targets to 600 meters with center of mass hold.

Targeting for a center of mass hit requires a zero for the given distance. When the zero is set for 100 yards it limits capability, undermining the M4's purposeful design.

Last edited:
A 100 yard zero on an M4 is only common among recreational shooters as it prevents use of the BDC function; and thus, the ability to address the two likely targeting scenarios, hitting UKD and KD targets from muzzle to 600 meters using a center of mass hold.

With a 300 meter BSZ set on the BDC sight, we can use a center of mass hold to produce good hits from the muzzle to about 400 meters; and we can use the BDC function to hit KD targets to 600 meters with center of mass hold.

Targeting for a center of mass hit requires a zero for the given distance. When the zero is set for 100 yards it limits capability, undermining the M4's purposeful design.

I mentioned 37yd for a reason…It's roughly the same as a 300. This was never a topic about whats the "best" zero for an M4. It's about stupid things you've been told. Mine was a dude telling me if you use a 100yd zero you must aim above a man sized target in order to get a center mass hit at 200yds. This is obviously untrue.

I mentioned 37yd for a reason…It's roughly the same as a 300. This was never a topic about whats the "best" zero for an M4. It's about stupid things you've been told. Mine was a dude telling me if you use a 100yd zero you must aim above a man sized target in order to get a center mass hit at 200yds. This is obviously untrue.
Sterling Shooter doesn't have time for jokes Mike. ;)

( I was told once if you cranked the engine backwards on a deuce and a half it would run but wouldn't have as much horsepower. ). Two strokes ..ie.Detroit Engines can and will runaway ( run backwards ) . It will pull oil out of crankcase and into combustion chamber basicly running on its own oil till you kill air supply or it runs out of oil or grenades itself ...check YouTube ;-)

Reactions: mattr25
I was at a local gun range with a 200 yard target berm. Wind was blowing right to left and was requiring 1 MOA of wind correction.

The local PD SWAT team showed up and I mentioned the wind correction just to be helpful. The SWAT fellow, all decked out in his combat gear including knee and elbow pads as well as gas mask case, looked at me with a blank expression. So I told him again, " 1 MOA right to correct for the wind". Then he told me that a 308 is not affected at all by wind under 600 yards. He then proceeded to lay down and shoot at 50 yards...................................

my 243 shoots so fast i do not need high bc bullets. i shoot coyotes at 700 yards at a dead run with my 25-06 just put the cross hair on the end of his nose.

( I was told once if you cranked the engine backwards on a deuce and a half it would run but wouldn't have as much horsepower. ). Two strokes ..ie.Detroit Engines can and will runaway ( run backwards ) . It will pull oil out of crankcase and into combustion chamber basicly running on its own oil till you kill air supply or it runs out of oil or grenades itself ...check YouTube ;-)

i have personally seen an old mechanical cat engine do this. exhaust was coming out of the air cleaners and everything. the old mechanic told me they did it quite a bit