• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

I saw this at sportsman's warehouse.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398044342374.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398044342374.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 628
Cops provide some fertile ground, no two ways about it. I was once dispatched to the scene of a drive by shooting, along with several other officers. I was still a rookie at the time, but already had a considerable shooting background behind me. Anyway, I arrive at the scene to find one of our veteran officers examining the bullet holes in the house. He glances over at me, and states authoritatively, "Yep, looks like a 30-06." Mind you, there were no cases found at the scene. Nor were there any en-bloc clips. Nor had we recovered any, say 173 grain FMJBT M72 bullets that might have lent credence to his observation. Just a roughly 1/3" hole in the stucco of the house, that apparently looked like it could ONLY have been produced by a 30-06 . . . but not a 308, or a 7.62x39. As I said, I was still a rookie, but I learned a whole lot about "police work" right then and there.

They're not alone, either. We once had a body armor salesman who gave a demonstration of his wares at our range. Setting the vest up on a frame, he then moved back to the 50 yard line to do the shooting. As he explained to us, he wasn't going to shoot it up real close like other body armor companies do, but further away "so the bullet has a chance to get up to full speed."

We (or some of us, anyway) were not impressed.

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyContractor
Ok I got one. A guy who was painting my house saw me unloading some of my gun cases out of my truck. Got to asking me what I'm shooting , how far, do I handload, ect....
Well he asked me if I was a big fan of the .300 win mag and I told him that I have two and love shooting them out to 1200 yards or so. His ears perked up and asked if I wouldn't mind loading him some stuff up because on his last outing he ran out of ammo while popping 2'x2' plates at 1500 yards. When I asked him his load... He replied I can't remember off hand.
Fast foward... Dude shows up with a Sendero SF 700 and keeps telling me what a laser beam it is and how he can hit whatever I pick. All the " you know it's bullshit" kind of stuff. Well , I got to looking at the rifle and asked him if he'd ever heard of a .300 RUM. He looked at me as if I was crazy and said no. I replied " that's funny because that's exactly what you have". His reply.....
"IT'S THE EXACT SAME THING AS A .300 WIN MAG, JUST A LITTLE DIFFERENT". Needless to say, I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes and he never showed back up to the house again. He sent his workers to finish.

Reactions: ajdemar215
My friend: if the girl is on top she can't get pregnant, cause you know..... gravity. ~Highschool gym/health teacher.

Back on topic
Ex military: yea the 5.56 was made to tumble leaving the barrel so when it hits you in the chest it blows out your ass.

Reactions: stintedAIR
At my local gun shop, Turners Outdoorsman, a sales rep said my rifle would be more accurate with two sets of nightforce scope rings (4 rings total) as it would hold significantly better... :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: Oregonboy
In boot many years ago one of our E-4 firearms instructors (gunner's mate) overheard one of my sidebar conversations on the range where a guy said he had a 40mm Ruger handgun. I told him there was no such thing, it was a 40 Smith & Wesson. The instructor called me out in front of everyone, had me stand at attention and address the entire company, and went on belittling me on how stupid I was and I knew nothing, etc etc etc. He then claimed that HE had a 40mm Ruger.

I got 2.
One was from a National Guardsman. He claimed that you sight in a rifle at 100 yds and then holdover an inch for every 100 yards after. Basically saying you hold over nine inches at 900 yards, with a 100 yard zero.

Second one is a buddy of mine claiming that muzzle brakes on rifles serve two purposes. Reduce recoil (I agree), and he claims that when you fire your rifle, the sound travels forward in two arcs. The sound goes around the animal you shoot at , then the sound collides behind the animal. Fooling the animal that the sound came from the other side from where the shot came from. When this happens, the animal runs away from the sound and runs straight at the shooter. I can't seem to explain to him that sound travels in waves, away from it's origination.

"You're a gun store. You should have .416 Barrett In stock. I paid 3 Grand for this gun!"

I wasn't working there, but I left.

On evaluating optics quality: "What do you mean by tracking? My $200 NCStar scope that I picked up is just as good as a Nightforce. Anything over 1 MOA per click is way too much. Trust me , I was in the army. I did this for a living"

I know i'm an Air Force dude, but that doesn't make me by default less knowledgeable than Army/USMC guys about firearms in general. Fellow vets and the dick measuring we do, I swear.

I can shoot out to 800 with my .270 open sights. Scopes and fancy guns are a joke.
I can outshoot you with my 870. What is a Ljutic anyways?

Reactions: Frankly
I Had To Look Up "Ljutic". Interesting Toy.
It wasn't that he didn't know what a ljutic was, but when you've never shot trap and you show up with an 870, don't stick your foot in your mouth. I ran my 25, he shot an 11 or 12 lol. Whoops.

Lets not give the 870 a bad name. Shot a 25 with an 870 18" camp gun goofing around. :)

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Lets not give the 870 a bad name. Shot a 25 with an 870 18" camp gun goofing around. :)

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Impressive! Not saying it can't be done, but a little more difficult.
My buddy was the one who inserted foot in mouth not knowing how much I used to shoot trap. I just smiled.

At my local gun shop, Turners Outdoorsman, a sales rep said my rifle would be more accurate with two sets of nightforce scope rings (4 rings total) as it would hold significantly better... :confused:

That's the way we prescribe medicine too... If ones good two is better! Right up to the point where u stop breathing and or seize

Trauma1

Got a couple for yall. All came from the same Marine Gunner.
1) "That MK19 was shooting like crap because it's tired." (He was stone serious and we were shooting with TP/cheeto rounds.)
2) "I can't get this back plate off. Yellow tag it and put it in the armory." (It was a 50 cal that was still on full auto with the bolt release up.)
3) "Ok boys, the fire danger rating is extremely high today so you have to de-link all tracers from your 50 cal ammo." (We were shooting API, told him so, were made to fire anyhow, and still set the range on fire. For which we were yelled at. By him.)
4) "Oh, I'll just pace it off. You'll be fine." (This was our BZO the day prior to range week for our Annual Rifle Qualification. Any attempt to object was immediately met with a stern talking-at.)
5) "I can't get this damn thing to calibrate..." (He was standing outside an MRAP in Afg for a good 10 minutes with the metal detector head 6" from the MRAP.)
6) "Don't worry, I got a sample of the HME in my cargo pocket for EOD to look at." (He was inside the MRAP on the radio for the whole world to hear.)

There's probably many more, but I hope you enjoyed these. We all got a kick out of them.

• Haha
It wasn't that he didn't know what a ljutic was, but when you've never shot trap and you show up with an 870, don't stick your foot in your mouth. I ran my 25, he shot an 11 or 12 lol. Whoops.

Ljutics are fun. I bought a Space Gun in the middle of the year up at Jaqua one year. Never shot a score lower than 98 with that dang gun. Showed up at the local range, long since turned into a housing development, some loud mouth started in on what did I expect to hit with that broom handle. As I recall, I broke 99/100 thanks to a slow pull and a release trigger. Loud mouth was somewhere in the low 80s. Didn't hear much from him after. :D

I got one i just found on sniperhide.

as I'm not military-trained on a rifle more sophisticated than a bolt-action M14, which isn't exactly a sniper rifle.

Reactions: DaleGribble82
Impressive! Not saying it can't be done, but a little more difficult.
My buddy was the one who inserted foot in mouth not knowing how much I used to shoot trap. I just smiled.

No wind and hitting them right out of the trap house played into it. Otherwise I shoot a Savage Milano field gun. Unlike your buddy I would never go up to somebody and say my Savage will beat you. Especially somebody holding a gun I can't pronounce let alone identify :)

pro3.jpg <---- click here

Nice Mono!
I had one of those for a couple of years as well.
My favorite gun, although there were many, was a 32" 682 Beretta Unsingle. Broke my first Century with that gun. Once got myself in trouble at Wolf Creek Gun Club. Was out on a Friday shooting a few rounds of practice by myself. Nobody in the place as it was a kind of dreary day and the manager went out and was my trapper. Broke 3 straight 99s missing the straight away from 4 on the 75th target each time. I was pissed. Even more so when the local meet started on Sunday morning and I got to shoot as an AA shooter instead of the B my card said I was. I also went from 22 to 25 yards that day. Yeah, Bob ran the tournament. I broke a 98 in singles and a matching 99 from 22. Made me work a bunch harder the rest of the year.

Reactions: Marine52
The reason why their is an ammo shortage is because the government is buying all of it so we can't get them.

It's a bait post. Any respectable Operator as Fuck person would have used Q.E.D. instead the actual Latin phrase. Knock it off, Graham. :)

Not a knock on Marines at all so please bear with me...

My unit had to go to MCAS Cherry Point for the pistol range (spring 2006), as the local LE ranges were all shut down. It was a big to-do as it was supposedly the first time ever that the Coast Guard had ever shot at their range. Some douche Gunny that was their Safety Officer came over to observe our safety brief, and then do his own. His safety brief consisted of "DO NOT CALL MY MARINES 'SARGE', that's for the Army, not Marines and we will kill you". He reiterated that shit and variations of it for about 15 minutes, on how to address his Marines. Not a word of safety was mentioned at all.

Fast forward 10 minutes, we were downrange and our SAI was explaining the first course of fire to us, as well as a few other Marine senior enlisted "liaisons" that were hanging around us. During the course brief, we heard "Oh shit" from behind us and about the time we spun around to look one of the Marine RSOs at the picnic table behind us pulled the trigger on a personal gun (pointed at his other hand) and accidentally blew a good chunk of it off. Obviously the range was shut down, NCIS and some others were called to the range and we all had to give statements.

Before we were "allowed" to leave, the Gunny came over and blamed this on us because if we had listened to his safety brief it wouldn't have happened. I never figured that one out. Some Marines from Cherry Point that my LE team had done some joint training with (VBSS or whatever they called the team) got a good kick out of that one.

Again, no disrespect towards Marines at all, just that guy's comments were the butt of jokes for a while.

"Muzzle brakes stretch the barrel and shorten barrel life due to the gasses pushing forwards......"

After watching the guy next to me shoot a 6" group at 50 yds...."I am all set for my elk hunt tomorrow..."

After watching the guy next to me shoot a 10" 20 shot group at 200 yds. in about 5 minutes....."This .338LM is the most accurate gun ever made".....and then we walked out to the targets and I was shooting about 1" groups with my .223........and he promptly left the range.

A "range master" telling the guy next to me, "You cannot bore sight an AR" and walked away......to which I promptly broke open and removed the bolt carrier and bore sighted the guys' rifle for him. Then showed him how to do the same along with other various tips to make his life and shooting easier. He wound up buying me a hot dog after spending a few hours at the range with him and his kid. Great guy.

Here we have both sides of the conversation saying something stupid...

Young ATF Instructor looking at our handguns lined up on a table. He really loves Glock. He goes down the line admiring the pretty Glocks and pointing out each one saying, this one never needs to be cleaned, and this one never needs to be cleaned, and this one never needs to be cleaned, and on and on, and then he comes to what appears to be a POS. He stops, looks at it, stops pointing, and mumbles, "this one needs to be cleaned often!" It is my handgun. I point at it and ask, "this one?". He replies confidently, "Yep". I don't know what to say other than, "That is a $200 military surplus Russian Makarov and if Nickolay was here today he would never stop throwing up".

"My .224 TTH shoots so fast that once I shot a skunk at 200yds and I heard the bullet "thump" the skunk before I heard the rifle crack."

This one wasn't said to me but I witnessed it. My buddy mounted a scope on his rifle and brought it to the range to zero. Targets are hung and he lines up at 25 to see if he's on paper. He opens the bolt and it hits the scope eyepiece. It wont open all the way. So we get out some tools and get the scope off. Open the bolt and pull rearward.......it ejects a LOADED cartridge. Needless to say. We are always real careful around this one.

not getting your shoulder on the butt-stock the same each time would cause erratic velocity. when i disagreed i was told "basic physics" i laughed so hard i almost fell over. thanks Albert Einstein i needed a laugh

Was talking to a national park camp manager (the guy that lives at the camp and takes money, sells firewood etc).

"Whatcha shoot" he asks
"three oh eight" I reply
"I shoot a fifty" was his response
"cool" I said
"You put a target at 100 yards, and I'll put one at two miles, and we'll see who shoots the best group"
"definitely you win" I said, he smiled, I left.

Had a guy tell me once he was building a $10,000 308 lapua, yes 308 lapua. And that he would never have bought a scope like mine, nightforce, because they are to cheap.

As a fresh PFC, I was instructed that every 100yd, you multiply by 3 the number of clicks on an ACOG to move POI 1 inch. 900yd, 27 clicks moves 1" for example..... I brought it up and explained that there was an inverted fraction in play. I drew an angular diagram on the board and measured it all out and tried to explain it, and had a Corporal backing me up. The instructor's reply was "I guess Trijicon doesn't fucking know how to adjust their own damn optics because I was at their course--- were you?"

After that I stopped trying to fix stupid.

"the .50 BMG has a muzzle velocity of 7,000 fps"
"The 5.56 was designed to bounce around inside the human body"
"A 9mm bullet won't make it past 75 yards or so"
"Oh you got a new barrel for your AR15? what did that run you, $2,000?"

Reactions: stintedAIR
As a fresh PFC, I was instructed that every 100yd, you multiply by 3 the number of clicks on an ACOG to move POI 1 inch. 900yd, 27 clicks moves 1" for example..... I brought it up and explained that there was an inverted fraction in play. I drew an angular diagram on the board and measured it all out and tried to explain it, and had a Corporal backing me up. The instructor's reply was "I guess Trijicon doesn't fucking know how to adjust their own damn optics because I was at their course--- were you?"

After that I stopped trying to fix stupid.

Wow!!! That's a good one!

Years ago I was walking around a local gun show. I overheard the guy behind the table tell this guy the ammo he was selling was "sniper" ammo. The guy asked him how did he know? He showed him the head stamp and told him" see the circle with the cross hair, that means it is sniper ammo. It was a NATO head stamp!!!