• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

LGS I USED to go to is really small, middle of nowhere, but has decent stock and prices.

Went in with some buddies at lunch and asked to see a P938. Shop owner says “I just got one of those, myself”

Me: oh? How do you like it?

SO: Absolutely sweetest shootin pistol I ever had. Don’t work too well with Walmart ammo, though?

Me: Really? Walmart has ammo?
<brain-fart moment on my part. I thought he was referring to Walmart-branded ammo, or something.>

SO: Yeah. But you don’t want to buy it there. Stuff’s all made in China. Has Obama-compliant primers in it, too.

Me: <still thinking he’s talking about some weird Walmart exclusive ammo>
I’ve only seen regular Federal, Remington, and Winchester there. What Chinese ammo do they sell?

SO: All ‘dem. You ever seen their prices? Looks like the same stuff I sell, but the big ammo companies sell them stuff they have made in China. And they all use those Obama-law primers that only have a 1-year shelf life. How else could they sell it so much cheaper’n me?

<He doesn’t know that I work for one of those “big ammo companies”, and I decide against to mentioning it. I’m still not sure if he’s pulling my leg or not, so the best I came up with, after a pregnant pause>

Me: ...You do know that’s not true, right?

SO: Son, I been selling guns longer than you been alive. If’n you’re gonna doubt me, you can just go doubt me on the other side of that door rightchonder.

I’d never been kicked out of a gun shop before so I just nodded and left... to the sounds of my buddies laughing their asses off. They stayed another 30 seconds or so, just to rub in that I got kicked out. None of us have ever been back.

Last edited:
Just this year...

"you guys putting clays out on the berm at 100 and shootin' a .22 at them? you'll never hit em" <while shaking head>

I let him shoot my vudoo instead of being a jerk about it...he had an eye opening 10 rounds to say the least.

I went to Cabela's to buy some scope rings for my 308. They had rearranged the store and all I could find were cheap rings. So I go to the optics counter and ask if they have any precision style 30mm rings. Something like the vortex matched rings or nightforce rings. The guy asked me what I was putting them on and what scope I was mounting. I said I'm mounting my gen 2 PST on a Savage 308 in a choate stock. He said "Oh you don't need any nice rings for cheap stuff like that. These night force rings would be a waste on your rig."
(Now my 308 may not be the fanciest, most expensive rig but it's shoots very well, sub moa to 1000 yards.) I said to my wife well I guess since nice rings will be a waste on my rig I guess I'll go look at the tasco rings. Thanks for your help sir and then left the store and decided to just buy my stuff online now days

Dumbest firearm advice: This from a guy at a local 3 gun match I've been attending/shooting for 15+ years, and had never seen him before...our matches are normally small enough to only require 1, or at most, 2 squads. Typically between 6 and 15 people show up. "A good rifle will shoot ANY load/brand equally well. Only chicom crap needs a tailored load."

Most stupid, non-firearm thing: All my life, for some reason, people using simple, common phrases or words incorrectly bug the bejeesus out of me. People who use the past perfect (or imperfect, for that matter) tense of 'use' incorrectly. It should be 'used' in past tense, or present imperfective. I used to own that. I am not used to doing this. We used to use that particular brand...

Lol, some of you guys must be young judging by some of the examples listed. Just wait, I'm not sure how anything coming from a gun counter could surprise most people.
I guess I could only call something stupid if it comes from someone who should know better.

Reactions: BigTex
So my Dad's retirement gig is the gun counter in a LGS. I stop by a few hours a week and order stuff, harass him, BS with a few of the old timers, etc.

One of the older "gun guys" told me they wouldn't order a sig 320 x5 because it's not legal. He was dead serious that they couldn't sell one. When asked how they got ATF permission to sell them I got a blank look. Pulled up the gun on their computer under the distributor account and showed him they could order it and the price was right there.

He went off on a tirade about the frames not having serial numbers so they're illegal, all the stores that have sold them are illegal, and anyone who has one is going to end up in prison.

I had a discussion with the store owner, and the fudd got moved to hunting clothes, fishing tackle, and license sales. Turns out he wasn't too happy with him turning down sales, and now has 320's in the display case.

I worked in a gun shop once,only the lord would know why.
Centrefire,rimfire & scopes was where my information bus terminated,most other things at least for me were distant post codes away.
The nuances of shotgun chokes & shot types left me floundering,not to mention burn rates on powders & don’t get me started on what I still don’t know about black powder.
I knew I wasn’t alone vis a vis product knowledge but I was damned if I was going to lie & make it up on the fly.
I prefer to think that I was probably viewed as a dullard by some customers & they avoided me as they knew i’d refer them on,I did have some that valued what I could do for them.

"These are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those now, they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high-capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.”

- liberal Colorado representative Diana Degette on why her bill to ban standard capacity magazines would prevent crime, demonstrating her utter lack of knowledge that magazines can simply be reloaded. Apparently, she is so ignorant about firearms that she thought magazines came loaded and were thrown away once fired. Of course, she also didn't answer the question as to how limiting people to 10 round magazines would reduce crime either, but that's irrelevant to the liberal mindset of "we need new laws to make us feel better, no matter how ineffective they are!"

Most stupid, non-firearm thing: All my life, for some reason, people using simple, common phrases or words incorrectly bug the bejeesus out of me.....

Oh man, don't get me started! We've got a LOT of "irregular" word usage around these parts. For example, someone will say "borrow me a pen". Really? I'll respond with, "I won't borrow you one, but I'll lend you one". They look at me with a blank look.

Worse yet, someone will pull something out of the freezer and say "I'm going to unthaw this". I'll look at them in all seriousness and say "it's already unthawed". They look at me like I just sprouted another head.

This is just a brief sample. I could go on and on.

Just this year...

"you guys putting clays out on the berm at 100 and shootin' a .22 at them? you'll never hit em" <while shaking head>

I let him shoot my vudoo instead of being a jerk about it...he had an eye opening 10 rounds to say the least.

You're too nice. I'da bet him $100 in cash right on the spot and then taken his money.

I went to Cabela's to buy some scope rings for my 308. They had rearranged the store and all I could find were cheap rings. So I go to the optics counter and ask if they have any precision style 30mm rings. Something like the vortex matched rings or nightforce rings. The guy asked me what I was putting them on and what scope I was mounting. I said I'm mounting my gen 2 PST on a Savage 308 in a choate stock. He said "Oh you don't need any nice rings for cheap stuff like that. These night force rings would be a waste on your rig."
(Now my 308 may not be the fanciest, most expensive rig but it's shoots very well, sub moa to 1000 yards.) I said to my wife well I guess since nice rings will be a waste on my rig I guess I'll go look at the tasco rings. Thanks for your help sir and then left the store and decided to just buy my stuff online now days

The answer should have been "I didn't ask what you thought, I asked you where they are".

Reactions: DirtyContractor
Oh man, don't get me started! We've got a LOT of "irregular" word usage around these parts. For example, someone will say "borrow me a pen". Really? I'll respond with, "I won't borrow you one, but I'll lend you one". They look at me with a blank look.

Worse yet, someone will pull something out of the freezer and say "I'm going to unthaw this". I'll look at them in all seriousness and say "it's already unthawed". They look at me like I just sprouted another head.

West Virginia?
Kentucky?
Tennessee?
Kansas?
Oklahoma?

There are some aspects of vernacular and dialects that, for reasons most probably associated with personal history, I find acceptable: Y'all, ain't, uh uh, and a few others. Likewise, I can, to an extent, rationalize them as contractions and expedient linguistic developments. However, double negatives, unintentional oxymorons, and both preterite imperfective and perfective misuse all get under my skin (when used unintentionally... jokes and sarcasm involving just about anything I take great, almost pre-adolescent pleasure in).

I call it self awareness. My wife no longer laughs when I repeat my almost standard muttering of, "I'm not asking for super-ego, just anything that indicates they're at least a little past Id."

I constantly question both my motivations and my execution, not just of new things/techniques, but also of those things I do/perform by rote.

Reactions: Notch
The RSO/range owner at an unnamed range I went to was former military and told me he doesn't want AR's on his range because "every AR in the world shoots 3,200 feet-per-second". I don't know if he was being hyperbolic about "every AR in the world" however he did say it several times and certainly wasn't joking about the "3,200 fps" part. Now I'm not a handloader but out of my 18.5" AR with a bunch of different factory loads I'm only getting about 2,600fps...

Pic of 3,200 FPS, 5.56 AR
kaboom007.jpg

That a 6mm Gay Tiger does something a 6x47L or 6 Creedmoor doesn't do already

Well, I've never seen a chromatic homosexual feline meme dedicated to either the x47 or the creedmoor, so the Gay Tiger does do SOMETHING the others do not.

As to the question at hand, the recent arrival of a WWII semi auto rifle devotee has rather expanded the choices of dumbest shit heard/read...

Had a guy looking to buy buckshot 12 gauge shells as he was getting ready for deer season. He explained that he shoots shot to save slugs. Puzzled I dug deeper. He said he shoots shot and then zeros the scope off the center of the shot group so he doesn't have to shoot as many slugs.

At a local IDPA match, two courses had us shooting while standing in a doorway. After almost getting disqualified, I asked the RO about it. He said I was at an advantage by moving thru the door before engaging because I was closer to the targets. He didn't want to hear my argument on piss poor tactics.

Had a guy looking to buy buckshot 12 gauge shells as he was getting ready for deer season. He explained that he shoots shot to save slugs. Puzzled I dug deeper. He said he shoots shot and then zeros the scope off the center of the shot group so he doesn't have to shoot as many slugs.

At a local IDPA match, two courses had us shooting while standing in a doorway. After almost getting disqualified, I asked the RO about it. He said I was at an advantage by moving thru the door before engaging because I was closer to the targets. He didn't want to hear my argument on piss poor tactics.

Do not get me started on retarded IDPA "tactics"

Guys "confirming zero" on an obviously not-zeroed rifle, with the "spotter" calling corrections on each shot, and the "shooter" adjusting aim as directed. They are such studs I bet they can do that all day long.

Tucker301
You're welcomed. Have a great weekend!
The stupid fucker can’t follow his own forum rules or use proper English. Must have dropped out of school in the 6th grade to monitor this glorious forum

It's a stupid game.

FIFY

I'm a USPSA C class shooter getting close to B class and finish mid pack to top third of the Production field at level 1 matches. When I do go to a local IDPA match I'll wipe SSP and finish top 3 to top 5 overall out of 50 - 60 shooters.

IDPA = I Don't Practice Anything

Wow! I have to give you those as real winners. That last one...<shakes head>

Lmao, are you trying to tell us that you don’t calculate the Moa built into your rail every time you take a shot? Man, you are missing the most important part of it. How do you even hit anything?

Is that where you could have used this meme?

2F4912FB-7C7A-4ACC-B9AF-7DC29B9F5577.png

Attachments

• F065F2AE-135E-44E5-A788-A37BE69841B5.png
    F065F2AE-135E-44E5-A788-A37BE69841B5.png
    684.9 KB · Views: 94
@308pirate ... those were horrible. ...although I think I lost some brain cells because now I’m questioning everything I know about Mils and MOA. Am I not supposed to subtract the 20 MOA rail cant from my wind adjustment due to the spherical shape of the earth and lateral drift of coriolis wind? I’m good with the elevation adjustments because I have a 20moa base and QD rings with 20moa built in so they cancel each other out.

::blood drips from eyes, ears, and nose::

Guys "confirming zero" on an obviously not-zeroed rifle, with the "spotter" calling corrections on each shot, and the "shooter" adjusting aim as directed. They are such studs I bet they can do that all day long.
Is that true? I mean even if you're new to rifles I can't imagine being those guys and somehow thinking that makes any sense...

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Is that true? I mean even if you're new to rifles I can't imagine being those guys and somehow thinking that makes any sense...
I've witnessed a 30 shot zero attempt before. When it was finally dialed in the barrel was so hot no friggin way was the rifle zeroed. The guys that figure every shot they fire is GOLD are the most comical to watch. Fire, crank that dial, sometimes I wish I still smoked weed, this is boat ramp shit now.

this is boat ramp shit now.

Yup. No longer live near the water (FL) so my “boat ramp entertainment” has been replaced with “public range entertainment.” Although I will admit that I fear for my life equally at both.

Reactions: rmantoo
I'm a USCG Captain with a 100ton unlimited, with Lux Sail and Towing endorsements. For a captain, who is responsible for the lives of a large crew, to say and do the following makes him one of the stupidest and most irresponsible people on planet earth. He's a terrorist and a pirate too, and he should be shot/sunk on sight.

I'm a USCG Captain with a 100ton unlimited, with Lux Sail and Towing endorsements. For a captain, who is responsible for the lives of a large crew, to say and do the following makes him one of the stupidest and most irresponsible people on planet earth. He's a terrorist and a pirate too, and he should be shot/sunk on sight.
View attachment 7093388
I am amazed that the Japanese govt has showed enough restraint to not order its Navy to destroy their ship on sight.

Yup. No longer live near the water (FL) so my “boat ramp entertainment” has been replaced with “public range entertainment.” Although I will admit that I fear for my life equally at both.
I am sure some salt water dumps and loadings were epic.
I lived through the piece of shit "Shorelander" roller trailer days here in the Midwest-Dakotas. Boats dumped on ramps, loaded sideways in heavy waves, and old men thinking it was wise to send their 65 yr old wife into the water to guide the boat on because the trailer absolutely needed to be that far in.

I am sure some salt water dumps and loadings were epic.
I lived through the piece of shit "Shorelander" roller trailer days here in the Midwest-Dakotas. Boats dumped on ramps, loaded sideways in heavy waves, and old men thinking it was wise to send their 65 yr old wife into the water to guide the boat on because the trailer absolutely needed to be that far in.

HAHAHAHAHAHA oh man just picture all of that but SUPER crowded ramps on weekends on the west coast of FL (Tampa Bay Area). Kids running everywhere, drivers who don’t have trailers mixed in with people with trailers, people with trailers who take the boat out once a year, clueless dudes and gals trying to unload/load their boats while people have already tied off at the ramp waiting to come in and have left to get their vehicle, and 300% humidity with a temp of 95.

I’d recommend you go see it sometime but that would involve going to FL...a trip I can not recommend to anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: Patriots1884
HAHAHAHAHAHA oh man just picture all of that but SUPER crowded ramps on weekends on the west coast of FL (Tampa Bay Area). Kids running everywhere, drivers who don’t have trailers mixed in with people with trailers, people with trailers who take the boat out once a year, clueless dudes and gals trying to unload/load their boats while people have already tied off at the ramp waiting to come in and have left to get their vehicle, and 300% humidity with a temp of 95.

I’d recommend you go see it sometime but that would involve going to FL...a trip I can not recommend to anyone.
I've seen my share of funnies, and dangerous shit too. I'd imagine in bigger metropolitan areas it is just on a grander scale. I no longer fish, but countless times after loading we had to run back down a ramp and get wet to keep people from getting crushed between the boat and docks in high waves. Out here, boat ramps are not protected. No fucking foresight whatsoever.
My most memorable was at Flaming Gorge, 1/8 mile long, 80 yard wide steep ramp, big old motorhome, ran over his Ranger bass boat going down, Then jumps out and proceeds to rip his teenage son a new asshole, idiot was going so fast, kid could not stay in his mirror zone, windows shut too, MoRon. He shut up when I told him too, JFC, stupid cocksucker, blame the kid.

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
View attachment 7093388

1. You're right, he's a pirate. He only cares about booty. I can't think of a more dangerous place for humans. On a boat in the ocean with likely sub freezing waters (I assume salt water can get to and a bit below 32° due to salt saturation?) with ice/icebergs and a captain who's more interested in getting his picture in a magazine than the safety of his crew and vessel.

2. Where are you stationed. The Coast Guard was a HUGE dream for me due to my grandfather's influence. My dream was to join and get stationed in Oswego. Apparently that's a quite popular request though. Never followed through though and I do regret it at times. But I assume I'm where I'm supposed to be.