• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

Hi,

Well that would depend on what unit of measurement that 1800 was utilizing......

Sincerely,
Theis
There isn't many measurements that it fits that makes sense. 1800 m/s is 5905ft/sec which I don't think even you could get out of a 308.

Just checked miles/hr. 2640 f/s that makes better sense.

Reading his statement just doesn't have the same comic relief as watching the video. Respectfully submitted...

That a bullet arcs out of the barrel rather than straight out of the barrel.
Technically, the bullet does arc. It absolutely does not shoot straight out of the barrel. If the barrel is level, the bullet immediately starts it's downward path in an arc; simple physics. If the rifle is zeroed at 100 yards, the barrel is slanted up towards the target and the bullet travels up and then down in an arc. You need to brush up on trajectory charts.....

I heard a great one this morning helping a neighbor sight in his lever action 30-30.
"You know, this 30-30 has about the same muzzle velocity as a SKS. If those Russians were smart, they would have just stuck with one of these."

I guess bullet profile and it's effects at distance doesn't mean too much. Neither does semi-automatic action.

Technically, the bullet does arc. It absolutely does not shoot straight out of the barrel. If the barrel is level, the bullet immediately starts it's downward path in an arc; simple physics. If the rifle is zeroed at 100 yards, the barrel is slanted up towards the target and the bullet travels up and then down in an arc. You need to brush up on trajectory charts.....
The bullet come out straight. It flies straight. It's just that gravity is a thing.

Reactions: AR Jon
Huzza ! I made it to the end.

Heard a guy claim his dads 30-30 could penetrate a rail car full of coal, AND come out the other side.

“My dad (who was in Vietnam) says the bullet fired from a M16 tumbles immediately on leaving the muzzle, and that’s why they're so destructive” 😳

• Haha
Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
"The safety is on" every time I called out the host of our dove hunting trips for sweeping his entire group at ranges 3-10 feet.

He had (passed away some years ago) a heart of gold and was related to half the farm owners in the county and was friends with the other half so there were always hunts in season. We just learned to stay behind him... 😣

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: tydex21
"The safety is on" every time I called out the host of our dove hunting trips for sweeping his entire group at ranges 3-10 feet.

He had a heart of gold and was related to half the farm owners in the county and was friends with the other half so there were always hunts in season. We just learned to stay behind him... 😣
Point a loaded handgun at his face....."but the safety's on"

The bullet come out straight. It flies straight. It's just that gravity is a thing.
If the bullet is dropping due to gravity, then by definition, it is not shooting straight; nor level. It is always traveling in an arc. The arc has a decreasing radius as the bullet velocity decreases.

1598358688944.png

Last edited:
I would like to submit these gems, and the following video for consideration.
Snipers are the BEST marksmen...
Only the mil/retired mil should have firearms because of their training...
My [insert relationship] knows all about guns because s/he was in the [insert military branch]...

I think he was referring to the shitty traditional LOS/Traj picture that’s always used to show their “lines”. Also, trajectory is just a social construct.

That is one of my favorites. I've seen cops (NJ State Troopers... I know I know) who can't shoot worth shit and are borderline unsafe. Personally I'm coming up on 3 years in the Navy and haven't needed to work with firearms outside of qualifying and those quals are not particularly hard. USMC is the only branch with uniform real marksmanship standards still IMO. Nothing wrong with that inherently but the argument of if you are mil/police that you are automatically more qualified or know more about guns is completely invalid in my mind.

I know a ton of cops who can't shoot

Reactions: M8541Reaper
My [insert relationship] knows all about guns because s/he was in the [insert military branch]...

MG Darrell Williams knows all about guns. So let's see, how does an EM RSO score the MG on qualifying with the M-9?

Of course he's an expert. He always qualifies as an expert - if the RSO wants to get his next stripe.

img_7911.jpg

That is one of my favorites. I've seen cops (NJ State Troopers... I know I know) who can't shoot worth shit and are borderline unsafe. Personally I'm coming up on 3 years in the Navy and haven't needed to work with firearms outside of qualifying and those quals are not particularly hard. USMC is the only branch with uniform real marksmanship standards still IMO. Nothing wrong with that inherently but the argument of if you are mil/police that you are automatically more qualified or know more about guns is completely invalid in my mind.
I got a Pistol Expert medal during Plebe Summer (using a M1911, if that tells you how long ago) and for the next 9 1/2 years I spent in uniform I never touched a handgun again.

It wasn't until I got into USPSA a couple of years back that I actually started learning how to really shoot a pistol.

Reactions: deepsea

That guy in that video has got to be one of the biggest dipshits on YouTube, I’ve seen a couple more of his videos and I am fairly certain he is, for lack of a better word, “fucking retarded”.

Reactions: 308pirate
I know a ton of cops who can't shoot
I can't stand it any longer. I have to tell this story, even if my wife won't post it.

My wife is a concealed-carry / license to carry instructor. This year, she had to re-qualify, and take an 8-hr course and test with over 20 others who my wife said were "A bunch of cops and ex-marines." During the day, she had to demonstrate knowledge, and proficiency with a variety of handguns. One of the things she had to do was demonstrate that she could disassemble and reassemble a few semi-auto pistols. Being a woman with small hands, she has to wear a pair of shooting gloves to do this. Of course, when she starts this, she has several of the men offer to assist her, and one of them comments that they should find another way for women to opt out of this because "this is something that only men can usually do." Upon hearing this, she tells them that the gun she has the most trouble with is a 1911 she has in her bag. She then reaches in her shooting bag and pulls out my old Kimber Custom II 1911 and hands it over to the group of cop and marine onlookers, and they think this will be no problem for them because - hey - this is just a 1911.

Now, if any of you out there own one of the early Kimber Custom II 1911s, you know these guns were hand-fitted, and tighter than a drum. And, it has an extended guide rod that runs the full length of the spring to the spring cap. As a matter of fact, there is no getting this gun apart unless you use the special tool that comes with it to depress the end cap over the recoil spring and turn the bushing. Of course, when my wife handed this gun over to the anxious mob, she failed to give them this tool. After my wife disassembled and reassembled a Beretta 92FS for the instructor, the gang of cops and marines were still trying to get the Kimber 1911 apart. At this time, my wife tells them to just hand the gun back, and she will show them how it's done. They give her back the 1911, she takes the little plastic tool out of her bag, and promptly disassembles and reassembles the gun.

But, the embarrassment didn't end there.

Before the shooting test, my wife calls me and says she's not sure how she is going to do up against all these cops and marines. We have our own shooting range, and I told her to relax because she's been practicing for this almost everyday for a month and she will do fine. When it was all over with, my wife calls me and tells me that she had the next highest score, and the person with the highest score was the only other woman in the class, and was also an ex-marine firearms instructor. According to my wife, she was a VERY good shot. And, as it also turns out, half of the rest of the class (all men) failed the shooting proficiency test and had to take it again.

Since then, my wife and the female ex-marine became good buddies and stay in touch.

You can't make this stuff up.

Young guy at the range to his wife: .380’s are expensive, I need to start reloading, all We need is a press. $100 press and we are good to go. I was the range officer that night and 5 minutes later he had a new perspective on reloading.

that video was painful

Litz disproved this bullshit theory of bullets “going to sleep”, or stabilizing in-flight years ago. Epicyclic swerve is not miraculous at all. It’s the marksman sucking. I have th go to a public range to overhear bullshit gun myths like that.

I didn't read the original post in detail.

When I say bullets "go to sleep" I don't mean they suddenly shoot tighter groups or their accuracy gets better.

What I meant in my post was that your can literally see this happening with tracers, when you shoot them the bullet is obviously vibrating or wobbling for the first 50-100 yards, and then they settle down.

It's easily observed happening.

I don't think once they settle down they get any more accurate. To your point they are already on their path and any wobble induced error in the first hundred yards will continue downrange.

What I do suspect happens is they get a little more aerodynamic and probably drop just slightly less at long range, but I'm guessing.

When we shot a bunch of tracers we'd reloaded, some bullets had no wobble, some had a little and every once in a while they were wobbling pretty bad.

They all eventually settle down but the worse they wobble at first the longer it took them to stabilize.

It's interesting to see happen.

It's also interesting how few bullets hit the ground and stay there. A huge percentage of them go flying off into the air. Even when shooting at a relatively flat dirt surface you think is absorbing them well. Even into dirt probably 30 percent of them went bouncing and flying somewhere else.
Add rocks to the dirt and bullets were going everywhere.

It's wild to see

I don't think tracer behavior is a good analogy, the weight and balance (and therefor the BC/flight characteristics) are changing in flight and well before the effect of lower velocity would change the BC.

I don't think tracer behavior is a good analogy, the weight and balance (and therefor the BC/flight characteristics) are changing in flight and well before the effect of lower velocity would change the BC.

That's a good point, and anyway, the bullet's wake is a spiral and I bet it distorts what we see of a tracer.

That's a good point, and anyway, the bullet's wake is a spiral and I bet it distorts what we see of a tracer.

I slowed my rounds WAY down (like 300 FPS down) to use up some shit 1lb powder container and to get some practice in (basically wasting some junk consumables I had) I noticed when someone else was shooting my rifle that the trace was wobble/spiral in flight rather compared to my hotter rounds the trace looks like a sick rooster tail

I slowed my rounds WAY down (like 300 FPS down) to use up some shit 1lb powder container and to get some practice in (basically wasting some junk consumables I had) I noticed when someone else was shooting my rifle that the trace was wobble/spiral in flight rather compared to my hotter rounds the trace looks like a sick rooster tail
Maybe they were borderline unstable at the lower speed.

People sometimes forget that bullet stability comes from its rotational speed which is the product of linear speed and revolutions per inch (rifling rate).

My neighbor was going on and on about 308 and how most people think it's only effective out to 800 yards for killing but they're wrong, him and his fellow marines were making kills at up to 1600 yards with it. 🤦‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: BullGear
My neighbor was going on and on about 308 and how most people think it's only effective out to 800 yards for killing but they're wrong, him and his fellow marines were making kills at up to 1600 yards with it. 🤦‍♂️

If it hit you at that distance, it would certainly kill you. I'm assuming the best available ammo at the time was the M118LR. If so, the problem would be hitting you.

"Why do you spend all that money on a so called precision rifle? My $600 hunting setup puts 5 shots at 200y all in the same hole. Your AI will never be able to do that consistently" -family member that only hunts
Actually, my Weatherby Vanguard in .25-06 will put 10 shots in one hole at a 1000 (thousand) yards all day long. Of course, I am not saying how large the hole in the target is that I am shooting at.

This decock does not work...

Police officer unloading a citizen’s 1911 during a routine conceal carry check (required in Louisiana when approached by an officer of the law) Yes, he had the grip safety depressed and yes it was not pointed in a Safe direction.

• Wow
Reactions: eastexsteve
“You have to use Kentucky windage when shooting a pistol at 25m.”

“When shooting a pistol at 25m while in the prone, you have to account for the angle.”

My eye immediately started twitching and I think I blacked out.

• Haha
Just today, “My .308 is so accurate that the same shot goes through the bullseye at 50 yards and 100 yards.”

I’m not exactly sure what that means, so I just blinked and smiled at the nice guy who told me that. He looked to be having fun as he shot his Ruger American .223 from a Caldwell rest.

• Haha
Just today, “My .308 is so accurate that the same shot goes through the bullseye at 50 yards and 100 yards.”

I’m not exactly sure what that means, so I just blinked and smiled at the nice guy who told me that. He looked to be having fun as he shot his Ruger American .223 from a Caldwell rest.

I guess if you had a few hours and plenty of ammo you could arrange the targets to do that LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: reynja and lash
I was told by my FFL that with a 30" barrel a .308win. shooting 155's is supersonic at 1600 yards.
I wonder if that would be possible if one were to make or use 155 gr turned solids? I know that my 255 gr turned solids in .338 LM can be pushed to supersonic past 2100 yards. Done it.

Though I doubt that was what was being discussed.

Reactions: Jscb1b