• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What's Your View II

Manhunt paid off. Found a box of brass cases 00Buck to display with the trench gun when I get off my lazy ass to drop off at parkerizing joint.
@1J04 not rubbing it in, but they are purdy dang neat in person. Need to get some brasso, cause they are gonna fingerprinty I believeView attachment 7357166View attachment 7357167

Very Very Cool !!!!! Those are gonna make a beautiful display!! Especially with your Trench Coat Mafia Scattergun! :love:

PS: Thank the Lord they look like their mother!! 😁
Actually Hank (on the left) takes after me and Gus after his mom. I have my hands full already.
20200623_150218.jpg

Very Very Cool !!!!! Those are gonna make a beautiful display!! Especially with your Trench Coat Mafia Scattergun! :love:
I got a full length duster in the garage. Maybe time to break it out

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04
Well to toss a curve ball.
Guess the outcome of this?
IMG_20200623_141435.jpg

Ring finger gone. Half a pinky finger gone. Cut into the bone on the middle finger.

I bandaged the hand with someone's shirt. I took the guy to my truck and used my belt for a tourniquet. Drove the guy to the ER and they didn't want to let us in through the ER doors. So I convinced them to open the door and see this guy that just cut off some fingers.

All gone or could they get him to a reattachment center?

Damn.

Good work.

For future memory. Usually phalange amputations do not require a tourniquet to control bleeding, and you sure as heck arent hurting anything by putting one on.
Just a dressing and a little pressure. Which strangely usually hurts less than a tourniquet.

@DarnYankeeUSMC PM me you addy and I will send you a proper tourniquet.
If you have FT, skype, or zoom, I will give you a quick tutorial on it’s use. Takes 10 min.

If you work around power tools with blades a lot, a decent work IFAK (not bandaids and motrin) for serious injuries is a good investment.
I stuffed a CAT tourniquet in my Carhartts last Sat while dropping a 30’ tree, limbing, and stacking. Lots of movement with a saw.....

Hank is home now! First picture of them together. View attachment 7357864
Congratulations @gunjunkie45!!!! It’s been a long road for y’all but now the fun starts! I have loved watching my almost 4month old learn new “tricks” every day! I know you will but I’ll say it anyways, cherish every second, even when they’re waking you up at 3am crying.

My view is going to change, I have known for a while that the company I work for was being sold. Today I found out that our division is being closed down instead. Guess I will be retired shortly.

You'll make it work @barneybdb ! I know you, "WE KNOW", you will. You'll be fine, figure it out, and be back over here, DURING DECENT WEATHER, before you know it !!

Been watching "Log Cabin Living" down here, tempted to sell up down here and come and join you guys. Our home here has been paid for and we have made a lot of improvements since so it is worth much more than we paid for it. Lack of shooting opportunities has been pissing me off for years now, fishing is not too bad here but for various reasons our boat has not left the shed for almost 4 years. I am still employed until end of July at the moment, could be a month or two longer as we have orders to complete. I do 3 12 hour days a week so today is my Friday, 4 days off to think about things, had a couple of Bourbons already. Just turned 66 last month so finding another job down here will be hard. Time for more Bourbon, back later.

Being retired does not suck Barney. I thought I would be bored. What I don't have is enough time both literally and figuratively. We would certainly welcome someone like you to this Country. God knows we could use the help. Be well.

Last edited:
After this incident I am going to invest in a kit for the truck.
Recommendations?
In the many years of working around construction I have never needed one and now it's been twice in the recent past so I will get one and hope to not need it.
It was bleeding pretty good and had soaked through the shirt. Which I kinda was expecting so I added a half towel that I had in the truck. With the distance to the ER I decided it wasn't a bad idea. One of the ER nurses came and asked me to move my truck from the entrance and I told her that I would leave but I would like to get my belt. She went into the room where they were working on this guy and stepped into the doorway. They said they were still using it. I looked and it was still on his arm. Maybe he's on thinners or something??
All gone or could they get him to a reattachment center?

Damn.

Good work.

For future memory. Usually phalange amputations do not require a tourniquet to control bleeding, and you sure as heck arent hurting anything by putting one on.
Just a dressing and a little pressure. Which strangely usually hurts less than a tourniquet.

@DarnYankeeUSMC PM me you addy and I will send you a proper tourniquet.
If you have FT, skype, or zoom, I will give you a quick tutorial on it’s use. Takes 10 min.

If you work around power tools with blades a lot, a decent work IFAK (not bandaids and motrin) for serious injuries is a good investment.
I stuffed a CAT tourniquet in my Carhartts last Sat while dropping a 30’ tree, limbing, and stacking. Lots of movement with a saw.....
Funny note.
The doors to the ER were locked and there was an EMT standing just inside the door when I walked up. She didn't want to open the door but I guess from my tone and language it scared her and she opened the door. We walked into the ER and I grabbed a nurse and told her that this guy cut off a few fingers. She looked at me and said "OFF?" Yeah off!! Well, they are hanging by the skin. She takes him to a room to the immediate right and another nurse looks at me and says "OFF?". Yes off!! She turned and grabbed a doctor and started directing him to the room. I stood in the doorway while they started unwrapping and then I figured I was just in the way and moved.
The "OFF?" Seemed almost comical. Like... Hot Damm this is gonna be good.

I got a call last night for an update. They removed the danglers (ring and 1/2 pinky) and are trying to save the middle finger.

• Sad
Reactions: Barneybdb
Thanks mate, third time I have been made redundant since finishing my 27 years in the Air Force in 1998. Every thing left to do on this place would only take me about a week. I am not ready to stay home doing nothing but my body is starting to tell me it is time to slow down. Timing just sucks, the dog we have had for almost 18 years has reached her use by date and now needs final release from pain.

Well dang boys.

@barneybdb - always a lot to think about. Bummer to have to deal with no matter.
You might be surprised. My dad repaired machines as an electrician in a big rig transmission plant. In retirement headhuNters would call him, as well as a small local CNC shop where he works PT both running machines and fixing if needed.

Guys said the current labor pool didnt have what it took, skipping work, no call no show, and low motivation.
So smart old slower moving guys who can work hard, know a lot, and are reliable are in short demand. Perhaps near you too.
Or move up here. We love freedom loving folks snd we have a little bourbon around. 😁

@DarnYankeeUSMC - for sure. Better to use snd not need than need and not use.
And its a “most of the time”, not a guarantee.

I wrote up a list thats a sticky on top of the equipment thread for IFAKs.
I will also send you a list via PM later.
Its not a big kit. Easy to keep around.

Well dang boys.

@barneybdb - always a lot to think about. Bummer to have to deal with no matter.
You might be surprised. My dad repaired machines as an electrician in a big rig transmission plant. In retirement headhuNters would call him, as well as a small local CNC shop where he works PT both running machines and fixing if needed.

Guys said the current labor pool didnt have what it took, skipping work, no call no show, and low motivation.
So smart old slower moving guys who can work hard, know a lot, and are reliable are in short demand. Perhaps near you too.
Or move up here. We love freedom loving folks snd we have a little bourbon around. 😁

@DarnYankeeUSMC - for sure. Better to use snd not need than need and not use.
And its a “most of the time”, not a guarantee.

I wrote up a list thats a sticky on top of the equipment thread for IFAKs.
I will also send you a list via PM later.
Its not a big kit. Easy to keep around.
Mr tired old dad, would it be possible to get a list of the IFAK too?

Reactions: powdahound76
@1J04 - sad part is, @Claymorx was still in his PJs working in his home office when that occurred.

Prick has a menagerie in his yard up there.

And thats before me and my kid show up!!
Its full circus at that point.

I just hang out with him cause his wife is smart and pretty. And he is a good cook. We never have any actual fun.....
Yup on all points. 😁

Reactions: 1J04
This is awesome. But I am glad it's you and not me. That would scare the bejeebers out of me.
I'm afraid I'll never get to sleep again. Gus likes to spend his nights screaming at the top of his lungs from 2300 till 0200. Hanks sleeps like a log. He only wakes up to eat. And two babies makes it hard to take turns with feeding. Takes the both of us every 3 hours.

My youngest was the crier. We finally figured out what calmed her. The wife had to lay on her back and the baby would lay on her. The babies head had to be close to her heart. I guess it was the heartbeat that was soothing. Sucked for the woman but I got some sleep.

I'm afraid I'll never get to sleep again. Gus likes to spend his nights screaming at the top of his lungs from 2300 till 0200. Hanks sleeps like a log. He only wakes up to eat. And two babies makes it hard to take turns with feeding. Takes the both of us every 3 hours.
I know they say that it's bad to sleep with a newborn but it worked.

Good luck. In ten years it'll all be cool stories. And those ten years will go by rapidly.

Reactions: TACC
My youngest was the crier. We finally figured out what calmed her. The wife had to lay on her back and the baby would lay on her. The babies head had to be close to her heart. I guess it was the heartbeat that was soothing. Sucked for the woman but I got some sleep.

Good luck. In ten years it'll all be cool stories. And those ten years will go by rapidly.
In our case he calms down better for me. I raised another son 20 years ago, plus two brothers that are quite a bit younger than me and I lived with an aunt that ran a day care when I was a teenager. I have the touch apparently. My wife had never even held a baby until a couple years ago when I made her hold one of my cousins at a family reunion.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
When my youngest was eight months I was doing the single parent thing. I would get up and heat his bottle in a pot of coffee. Absolutely some of the best memories were of those times with those two.

Last edited:

Some folks say that...

My first boy was tough to manage. I would lay down with him on my chest every night. The wife was working late shift. He went right to sleep. So did I.😁

It works. Ten years and it's new issues.

@gunjunkie45

You will be a tired man for the next 18 years🤣

E

Reactions: Geno C.
Been away from the Hide for a few days, catching up.

Congrats @gunjunkie45 with having both the beautiful little guys home! Hope you and the misses manage to get some rest.

@barneybdb I hope all works out for the better! Change, when not expected, can be a bit unnerving I would imagine. Sounds like you have a PNW connection or two. I would be happy to meet you if you make it back this way.

BDCEF14A-0616-4411-AB11-44B8E44A0C1A.jpeg

Spent a few days on the east side at Lake Chelan. My better half and the pooch paddled about while I glassed the hillsides. A few deer and a small black bear presented themselves but I think that I slept in too long most mornings to see much movement. Good to get away to an area without cell coverage for a change. Nice to unwind with the help of some great Washington wine and great weather to enjoy it with.

That looks like a real nice spot mate. Missed that part of your state, was recently in Seattle, Naselle and Astoria area. Hopefully this week is over, just had two punctures, two cars, both right rear. One was a screw, other was a nail...

You were in my state! You traveling in Oregon anymore?

Reactions: Barneybdb
Would be great to meet up next time we are in the area. You don't have the best weather there but many good people seem to live there.....
Any blue sky that is depicted in photos is most likely photoshopped. It helps us with our 12 month seasonal effective disorder. 😉 Most everything else is usually green due to plenty of rain.

The Naselle, Astoria and Long Beach areas are beautiful country indeed. Might be heading that way for July 4th. Ocean Park, near the north end of the Long Beach peninsula. When the ocean fishing is open there isn’t anything much better than a day on the ocean, finished with same day wild salmon cooked slowly on an Alder wood fire.

Been away from the Hide for a few days, catching up.

Congrats @gunjunkie45 with having both the beautiful little guys home! Hope you and the misses manage to get some rest.

@barneybdb I hope all works out for the better! Change, when not expected, can be a bit unnerving I would imagine. Sounds like you have a PNW connection or two. I would be happy to meet you if you make it back this way.

View attachment 7359544
Spent a few days on the east side at Lake Chelan. My better half and the pooch paddled about while I glassed the hillsides. A few deer and a small black bear presented themselves but I think that I slept in too long most mornings to see much movement. Good to get away to an area without cell coverage for a change. Nice to unwind with the help of some great Washington wine and great weather to enjoy it with.
25 Mile ? :)

Back home in Australia at the moment, trying to figure out if I can retire and still travel.....
If you do you need to see North Carolina. We are spittin close to the mountains,western Virginia, not to mention my town is the NASCAR hub. And have this huge guest room that never gets used.