• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What's Your View II

Id post a pic but it would just be a gray bathroom wall.

I’ll play
8C5A828A-67C9-4386-B77D-AE4408D951E7.jpeg

I LOVE that fire place wall
Thanks. We’ve debated on covering it with wood shelves and a faux beam shelf. So far I haven’t been able to talk myself into it completely. The brick is a love hate with me.

If I run the fire ALL day the open fire will start putting out heat just before evening.

TStat is usually at 68 by 1800 last night it was up to 74 with the heat turned off.

If I run the fire ALL day the open fire will start putting out heat just before evening.

TStat is usually at 68 by 1800 last night it was up to 74 with the heat turned off.
And there is your answer to the question posed. A good Insert is 75% efficient (at a minimum) and a little one like ours is still putting out 55K BTU’s. An open hearth is rated typically at 0. Ours is going on year 15 with maintenance only being replacing the fire brick on the bottom.

Not a Christmas decoration in site. Fire feels good though. Miss Lori has been busy helping with her dad. Maybe later this afternoon.

We haven't managed any here yet either. We lived in eastern Iowa for 32 years, but have been permanent Phoenix area residents for 6 years. Hard to get excited about Xmas decorating down here.

20201229_181418.jpg

Last edited:
I was told an insert wouldn't draw correctly without a liner. Looks pretty involved and not something to do if you ever want to go back to traditional fireplace. Surely someone has a system that doesn't require removal of the damper?

I understand we would need to line our chimney.

Unsure why.

Is waste that much hotter?
We already had a double wall pipe, yet the company ran a flex pipe up inside of it. I assumed it was a CYA liability type thing. I don’t have a good answer to your question. I wouldn’t think it would be any hotter. Great question for experts that sell and install.

Reactions: pmclaine
The fire need to draw and circulate air at a certain velocity to burn most efficiently, a smaller tube gets the same volume of air moving faster

Reactions: tnichols
Yesterday afternoon @schroed62 tames the ammo eater with his 6 Creed. Didn’t clean it, but solid. Those 2 down low are 4” targets and this array is at 655 yards. He’s the first to christen those pesky 4 inchers. For you numbers guys, I think he was at 3.0 mils E, holding 0.7 right for wind. Fire checked throats be damned, full speed ahead.
05880F1A-5BBC-4B42-B9E3-67A5899F86EF.jpeg

Ammo eater is correct, full speed sometimes---- going back in to uspsa mode....😃
Always fun shooting at your place but damn the low sun this time of the year.

Eh… nobody wants my blood because I’m AB positive…

Basically the multifuel military vehicle of blood types… I can take everything but very few can take my blood.

I think I’ve given about 4 gallons over my life….

Lots while in the military!

What they really love is when your cytomegalovirus negative.

Didn’t think about the plasma aspect.

Oh my buddies is O- and they’re always calling his ass up trying to get him to show up. (universal donor)

My wife does plasma double dose and universal donor, she makes up for my short coming of not being able to donate.
The red cross has her on speed dial.

Turned the corner yesterday..
View attachment 7767675
Day by day, minute by minute we get more sun. The days creep by, half a heartbeat later it's May. Kind of like life.

I have a Stonehenge in my kitchen window.

Looking directly out there is a water tower.....

image.jpg

June 21 or so the sun is left of the tower on rising.

Now.......so far south I don't think it would show in this picture.

image.jpg

47 degrees latitude is a lot of travel.

Let's hope the increasing sun brings increasing fortunes to the Country.

Last edited: