• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What's Your View II

On US 20 looking at and from the Niobrara River Bridge on the Cowboy Trail near Valentine, NE. Gorgeous Country. I am headed up to Little Bighorn which will likely bring me to tears.

IMG_1758.jpeg
IMG_2900.jpeg

Just sold my 18 GT Mustang manual 5.0 , That thing hauled ass, just couldn't find a good place to stretch its legs. Now with grandkids the wife said we need a car seat friendly rig. Tried to talk her into a Dodge Magnum wagon that I could trick out, but NO. I hang my head in shame as she ordered a Subaru Crosstrek. You'll love that Stang!
!

Yeah what fun!

Sold my Hellcat two years ago. That thing was a beast. Really wanted to take the $$ and get a Mustang GTR. But chose to get back into shooting.

My little girl had her eye on the Hellcat as her first car and cried when I sold it. Probably will get her a Miata so she can learn to drive right.

I had a Thompson Center .50 Hawken rifle back around 1976 and man it was a shooter. Unfortunately, I let my hunting buddy buy it years ago. I decided I wanted another one only to find they stopped making them in 2012. Apparently, there are no newer rifles, so I went online and found this rust bucket "new old stock" kit barrel in Oregon, but the bore is perfect just surface rust on the outside.

IMG_7272.JPG

Then I found a used stock in Arizona, that was in good condition but had some rash and dents. Luckily, I found a new ramrod also in Arizona, which should be here today...
s-l1600 (2).jpg

After three days of draw filing, sanding, scraping varnish off, and bluing I knew I was close. Did I mention polishing brass? I was able to rework those parts into a nice gun. I don't know why Thompson covered up the nice Black walnut with the varnish/stain they used. I think it looks much better with just a few coats of hand rubbed oil.

IMG_7303.JPG

Now where is that ramrod.....

Last edited:
Glacier NP. Massive glacial valleys. Hard to believe these glaciers basically collapsed and all melted in 1500 years. By my math ice melted at up to fifty feet a year but five on average.That’s A LOT of heat!! Much more than today. Had to read two books on local geology as the displays in GNP had zero on the glaciers that formed the park. Or how life moved up into these valleys in just a few centuries. Hell of a story to tell and zip on it or the massive glacial floods. Really sad the Park service can’t tell it. One of the pics shows the terminal moraine of the new glacier from little ice age just above Logan Pass. Really scary to think that the ice age is going to start again at some point.
IMG_3093.jpeg
IMG_3086.jpeg
IMG_3104.jpeg
IMG_3066.jpeg

The TC rifles were popular, very well made, and absolutely accurate. After assembleing the rifle and furing a few caps to insure the barrel was dry and clear I made this first shot at 50yds with 70 grs Pyrodex Select and a Speer round ball. I like it!
IMG_7311.JPG
IMG_7311.JPG

Last edited:
McNeil River Refuge in Alaska

ETA: A little background, this refuge is across the inlet from Homer, Alaska in southcentral. It’s a lottery system to get a spot to view bears for four days. Al. Department of Fish and Wildlife guides you to the viewing areas. Other than that you are restricted to camp. Your personal tent, no electricity, purify your own water and most people eat dehydrated food since you fly in on a Cessna 180 or beaver. Found it a bit confining; having said that, it will warp your view of bears in Alaska. Bears sleeping 15 feet from you while you eat a PB&J sandwich? Normal. White wolf comes within 50 feet of you? Normal. Walking between a sow and cubs? Done that. I think the bears view humans similar to a seagull.

Attachments

• Bears oh my.JPG
    Bears oh my.JPG
    740.8 KB · Views: 43
  • How many do you see.JPG
    How many do you see.JPG
    743.4 KB · Views: 39
  • My Fish.JPG
    My Fish.JPG
    545.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Hello.JPG
    Hello.JPG
    746 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2927.jpeg
    IMG_2927.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00431.jpeg
    DSC00431.jpeg
    722.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Those blue chalks have rollers that prevent the water and power washer hoses from getting hung up on the tires as I move around the car.
Interesting. If you’re going fishing, always take air hose with you as they catch on everything

Very clean old truck. Those and their like all rusted out and died in our neck of the woods years ago.
Thanks, I agree, it is super hard to find one these days. The old farmer that kept this one in his barn was wise

Reactions: tnichols