• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What's Your View II

Ugh. Thats terrible.

Is the guy ok? Obviously injured a decent bit.

Details. Give us more details.

Edited: all pics came through with more info.

I’m not saying any fault of gun. This is posted in “my view”. Yes they are hand loads.

I’m not familiar with the HTI. Is the barrel just threaded into the action like normal or something different?

50 on the left, Barrett in the middle.

The Garrett is pretty much just necking down the 50. Not shortening it.

Last edited:
Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Second picture. I Can see the stuck/ripped case but is the barrel full of mud? Why can I not see day light if the bullet hit the plywood?

Last edited:
Threads too small maybe on the barrel?

There is a lot of "Flat" on top of those threads.........:eek:

And, to me, most importantly.........Was this the first round fired from a new build ?
If so, to me, it really points to what Geno is saying about the trunion threads being too small/inadequate diameter for proper/acceptable/safe thread engagement. Actually, the more I think about it, given that the barrel was launched down range, that has to be what it is. IMHO, Geno's right.

Last edited:
Barrett isn’t a 50bmg case. He had 215gr of powder behind this.
He normally shoots 416 Barrett, but wanted more case capacity

I'm not as involved as I once was, so my apologies.
I just hope this guy is ok, and he suffers no ill effects beyond a mean flinch....that's likely unavoidable now.

We will keep him in our thoughts and prayers, and please keep us updated.

I'm not as involved as I once was, so my apologies.
I just hope this guy is ok, and he suffers no ill effects beyond a mean flinch....that's likely unavoidable now.

We will keep him in our thoughts and prayers, and please keep us updated.

I really hope you're right, but I'm thinkin' Dilaudid is what's on the menu for the next week or two.........

WOW, prayers sent! We could guess all night and not get it right, but to me it looks like a combination of tolerance stacking issues. The tennon seems a little short for a cartridge of that size, the threads maybe a little under size and/or sheared when it blew apart, I'd say it was locked up tight with max load of powder, maybe a tight bore and long round with the bullet into the rifling. Did he check the headspace?

There is no way that all those threads let loose if they are properly fitted. No way! If you load that whole case full of red dot it won’t launch a barrel. It’ll explode but the threads arent letting loose. It’s been brought to my attention that the dt 50 threads are metric and not a standard size. That no doubtedly added to this problem.

Last edited:
Hi,

@bullseye13
Was this Garrett that post on here? I cannot think of Garretts ID here....

I am interested to know if the bolt still opens/closes into the barrel extension (Assuming barrel extension is still locked into receiver).

I have only seen 1 barrel blow down range like that from a weapon system that utilized barrel extension and the cause was a compound issue of excessive pressure and brittle barrel extension. But in that case part of the barrel extension was still locked onto bolt lugs, part of barrel extension was on the barrel and part was MIA. (NOT on a DTA rifle). Also in that scenario there was no damage to any other part of firearm OR shooter because once the barrel extension ripped and barrel dislodged..there was no pressure to damage anything else or injure the shooter.

The scenario pictured is a pretty big compounding of errors IMO because the damage shown in the pics is worse than damage done to DTA rifles they have done on purpose during destructive testing.
Shit,... Nick use to have a chassis that had pistol powder loaded into a 338LM case and fired...it did not show the damage shown in this scenario.
During PSR test they were required to put a 300gr 338 projectile about 6 inches into the barrel from muzzle end and then fire a full charge 250gr 338 (of course fired remotely) and had sheets of witness paper surround the weapon system to highlight any shrapnel pieces and it did not show damage shown in this scenario.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Hi,

@bullseye13

I am interested to know if the bolt still opens/closes into the barrel extension (Assuming barrel extension is still locked into receiver).

I have only seen 1 barrel blow down range like that from a weapon system that utilized barrel extension and the cause was a compound issue of excessive pressure and brittle barrel extension. But in that case part of the barrel extension was still locked onto bolt lugs, part of barrel extension was on the barrel and part was MIA. (NOT on a DTA rifle). Also in that scenario there was no damage to any other part of firearm OR shooter because once the barrel extension ripped and barrel dislodged..there was no pressure to damage anything else or injure the shooter.

The scenario pictured is a pretty big compounding of errors IMO because the damage shown in the pics is worse than damage done to DTA rifles they have done on purpose during destructive testing.
Shit,... Nick use to have a chassis that had pistol powder loaded into a 338LM case and fired...it did not show the damage shown in this scenario.
During PSR test they were required to put a 300gr 338 projectile about 6 inches into the barrel from muzzle end and then fire a full charge 250gr 338 (of course fired remotely) and had sheets of witness paper surround the weapon system to highlight any shrapnel pieces and it did not show damage shown in this scenario.

Sincerely,
Theis
This wasn’t Garrett.

Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

@bullseye13

Sincerely,
Theis

Bolt didn’t open. I’m sure the barrel extension is stuck with bolt lugs

Reactions: Rthur
This is gonna hurt....
Dammit.

After ten years of getting injections (L-4, L-5) facets, epidurals, nerve blocks and even ablation, they just aren't working anymore.
Do exactly what they tell you about minimizing movement today. Take a few Advil and just take it easy tomorrow.
You will feel good until later tonight.

If the doc is doing the L4-5 injection, you'll feel it down in your toes and at the upper base of your pecker.
If you don't get those sensations, he's not in the correct spot.

The shots don't really hurt, they just create a temporary discomfort.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
After ten years of getting injections (L-4, L-5) facets, epidurals, nerve blocks and even ablation, they just aren't working anymore.
Do exactly what they tell you about minimizing movement today. Take a few Advil and just take it easy tomorrow.
You will feel good until later tonight.

If the doc is doing the L4-5 injection, you'll feel it down in your toes and at the upper base of your pecker.
If you don't get those sensations, he's not in the correct spot.

The shots don't really hurt, they just create a temporary discomfort.

C5 and 6 Mike. But he put injection between C7 and whatever is below...T something?

Hi,

Any update on the shooter @bullseye13 ?

Sincerely,
Theis
Sounds like he was heading to surgery today. Know for sure he can see out of his left eye, not sure on about his right. Skull fracture between his eyes and a broken nose. Not sure what of plastic surgery he needs. Sounds like they are going to keep him there a couple weeks.

Sounds like he was heading to surgery today. Know for sure he can see out of his left eye, not sure on about his right. Skull fracture between his eyes and a broken nose. Not sure what of plastic surgery he needs. Sounds like they are going to keep him there a couple weeks.

Did he lose any digits ? (Asking out of genuine concern. The pic of the bench looked awful. The "forensics" didn't look good :()