• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft when a bullet goes through the armor

Re: when a bullet goes through the armor

Isn't the biggest complaint the weight of even the newest vests? I've seen reports that Marines in Afghanistan humping the mountains will all that gear, due to climate changes of altitudes, are exhausted. If they run into an ambush after a long hump would be fun. Smart fighters would make a long journey their opponents.
I'll admit that in Nam I dumped my flak jacket any chance I could & so did many others.

2199792820084503378LGZsDl_ph.jpg

Vietnam 220.jpg

1-Bush12.jpg

Dumb I know but I shot a 7.62X54r Mosin Nagant 91/30 at a steel target (1/2) at about 25-40 ft and it went through it like swiss cheese. Not sure but I think that will defeat virtually any armor worn by people. Actually went to that box of truth website as I typed this and I concur. Lucky for me there was no ricochet but in another dumb moment my friend shot his 223 ar15 at a target about 50-75 yards and I could hear the ricochets from the rounds going by. He stopped after I yelled since he had his ear protection on but my truck was behind us!
smile.gif

Not to scare you away from ballistic vests, as I am sure the following happens on very few occasions;

There was a guy in our Army unit in Iraq who was wearing an IBA with SAPI inserts that was shot by a 7.62x54R that penetrated the IBA in the front (narrowly missing the SAPI plate) that penetrated the rest of his body and ricocheted off the inside face of his rear SAPI, back to the inside of his front SAPI, with the bullet finally coming to rest somewhere in his bowels. This left 3 entrance wounds and 2 exit wounds. Miraculously he lived with no major permanent mobility loss (never hit his spinal tract). He did lose a bunch of intestinal tissue and some other parts of some organs. He was awarded his Purple Heart by the 3d Infantry Division's Division Commander MG William Webster and SecState Condoleezza Rice while in his recovery bed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC while we were still overseas.

There is more to the story, but it would detract from what he had to live through during that ordeal...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to scare you away from ballistic vests, as I am sure the following happens on very few occasions;

There was a guy in our Army unit in Iraq who was wearing an IBA with SAPI inserts that was shot by a 7.62x54R that penetrated the IBA in the front (narrowly missing the SAPI plate) that penetrated the rest of his body and ricocheted off the inside face of his rear SAPI, back to the inside of his front SAPI, with the bullet finally coming to rest somewhere in his bowels. This left 3 entrance wounds and 2 exit wounds. Miraculously he lived with no major permanent mobility loss (never hit his spinal tract). He did lose a bunch of intestinal tissue and some other parts of some organs. He was awarded his Purple Heart by the 3d Infantry Division's Division Commander MG William Webster and SecState Condoleezza Rice while in his recovery bed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC while we were still overseas.

There is more to the story, but it would detract from what he had to live through during that ordeal... </div></div>

Ive heard a story like that from Iraq, not quite bouncing around but entering hitting the rear plate and changing direction and leaving from the shoulder

7.62x39 = 124gr FMJ
7.62x54R = 147gr FMJ

If it had a boat tail, chances are it was a 7.62x54r as i've never personally seen a military FMJBT x39.

Anyone ever shot a IIIA body armor with a 357 Sig? Just curious...

I recently got a set of Polyethelene Plates that weight about 2lbs a piece. They are spec'd at SAPI levels and are wonderful. I having a burning desire to get my hands on a spare and then shoot it with a couple of different guns.

I have a video of my m91/30 (which shoots 7.62x54r for those who don't know) penetrating eight 1/2" pans spaced 3"apart from each other ... shooting 203 gr. Barnaul SP ... pretty scary stuff, amazing how large the final exit hole is!!!

The video on my youtube ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXBxXYUbhAQ

lesson learned, don't mess with 7.62x54r ... and that's an old ass cartridge, definitely modern more powerful rounds which will carry more penetration ...

I had the privelage of shooting an old sharps .45-70 rifle a few weeks back, took a shot at a 2 1/2 foot thick tree stump at our local gun range, penetrated through completely, simply amazing for a round that is well over a century old (500 gr. bullet!!!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to scare you away from ballistic vests, as I am sure the following happens on very few occasions;

There is more to the story, but it would detract from what he had to live through during that ordeal... </div></div>That is truly a miracle that he lived through that ordeal! Glad to hear that he is doing well!!!

Alot of the 7.62x54R surplus Ammo is steel cored and tipped and will peirce body armor as well as engine blocks!