• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing When Gunsmith Won't Return Call or Email

Status
Not open for further replies.
End of the day, you cant get a box of frikken primers for reloading, in the last few months many millions of guns sold to people with deep pockets that never shot a gun in their lives, they have to have the Ferrari of guns, they log in here, see whats the latest and greatest then go buy it and head to the gunsmith recommended by this sites electronic word of mouth. It does not take much to overwhelm the inventory of gunsmiths left in business, most of whom have been through hard times up and down the last 30 years. These guns will get shot a couple hundred times on the one day they make it to the range then put in a closet until the estate sale. If a GS had a good reputation and does good work 6 months ago I am sure they are still doing that now, they are just overwhelmed with opportunity to make a little extra cash for once, I am happy for them, there is a reason there is so few around, this might encourage others to enter the business which will eventually bring equilibrium to the supply/demand curve.. I would be patient, like everyone else having anything to do with guns over the last 6 months, labor is scarce, supplies are scarce. Be happy for the smiths they are having some good times right now, remember this when the panic is over.

Sweets, please PM me the name so I won't make the same mistake. If Wil and RJB speak for this smith and acts like these two. Who cares if he is a one man show he choose to do what he is doing for a living. I now know of three people who give a bad rap to all gunsmith, just can't believe they are all from Texas! Way to go boy's your making Texas proud!

Sweets, please PM me the name so I won't make the same mistake. If Wil and RJB speak for this smith and acts like these two. Who cares if he is a one man show he choose to do what he is doing for a living. I now know of three people who give a bad rap to all gunsmith, just can't believe they are all from Texas! Way to go boy's your making Texas proud!

Yup, you got me all figured out. Outstanding!
As an aside, did you even READ and understand my post? How did I possibly give a bad rap to all gunsmiths? Your failed logic humors me. Yes I'm a native son of Texas...and damn proud of it. If you only knew HALF of the actual facts behind what the OP is claiming you'd be singing a different tune. Feel free to PM me for details if you like. The gunsmith in 'question' is a good man, an excellent smith, has build every one of my precision rifles, and he's also one of the few that I call a friend....one that tells it like it is without embellishment and bends over backwards to ensure customers are well taken care of. As I stated, the OP is painting a blurred, vague picture...and the masses are filling in the blanks with conjecture...if only obvious.

Trust me, he doesn't want or need you as a customer. As I said earlier there are 2 more behind you fighting for the door. As far as the "bad rap" goes, thanks for the laugh. As Jack says it's a supply and demand issue. You can get pissed at the ones that know what they are doing and go somewhere else and get screwed or just bite your lip and deal with it.

My point in chiming in was that there is nothing good about communicating negativity. Bet your bottom dollar that the smith likes payday as much as the next guy but if the rifle isn't complete yet, Sweets knows it and the smith knows it. I'm certain the smith wants it done more than Sweets does. Why waste time talking about it?

Op jumped the gun, pure n simple
There was never an issue other than said smith got tired of being harassed on a build that was 6weeks from due date, when he started calling

So getting on here on griping coz your acting like mad man, understand ya been burned before but this was not the correct way to field your fear of getting ripped off
How about ya man up an post apology for this BS attack based on your fear of gunsmiths

The smith in question is a good guy i will still recommend him to folk for builds, his workmanship is beyond reapproach
Had the OP called on due date instead of calling and calling when date was still 5 weeks out this would of never been an issue
OP handled this very poorly and created issue from nothing based on being ripped off before
So how about ya man up and apologize for acting like a fool
Will you be as quick to recognize your at fault here and post retraction, doubtful.

I can't imagine anyone actually defending signing a contract, with a delivery date, and then arguing it doesn't actually apply to one of the parties as they are a: Gulf Stream dealership, sell Rolls Royce cars, deal in ancient Mediterranean art work, or that they are a gun smith. A business contract is applicable all the signatories, regardless of their profession, or perceived importance. One can only imagine how that smith would be screaming if the other signatory refused to pay when agreed. If the smith was unable to complete the work in 10 weeks, or 200 weeks then he should not have agreed to the terms of the contract, in fact if it were going to take him 500 weeks that should have been the agreement. Honor dictates you don't sign a contract (give your word-in writing) without the intent of keeping your agreement. Your comments regarding "a terrible analogy" are troubling, you do not seem to place any value in honor, or ones signature to a contract, but rather the "perceived importance" or the one interring into the contract. It's a shame any real American would feel that way.

Did I miss the part where the OP said he was calling on week 4 to begin hounding the smith if/when the rifle would be complete?

I caught the part where he had tried to *contact* the smith since week 4.

Agree 100% with the peanut gallery here it would be totally unreasonable to harass the smith about taking delivery, prior to a couple days before the agreed upon date.

However, I find it 100% reasonable for a customer to contact the smith for a myriad of reasons, including but not limited to:

1. Different/new rifle specifications
2. Cancellation of the build
3. Called out of town, so the smith can put it on the backburner

Additionally, I find it 100% unreasonable this smith wouldn't acknowledge his customer's attempts at contact. I'm sure he's an absolutely fabulous riflesmith, but according to the *facts* as presented here, he doesn't sound like much of a businessman.

Last edited:
I know who the smith is, if you think he feels the same way as you, his supporters, post his name and business. I bet he wants every build he can get, if like you said he is willing to tell people to go somewhere else, it is only a matter of time.

I do hope he is getting better advice than that of his friends.

Op jumped the gun, pure n simple
There was never an issue other than said smith got tired of being harassed on a build that was 6weeks from due date, when he started calling

So getting on here on griping coz your acting like mad man, understand ya been burned before but this was not the correct way to field your fear of getting ripped off
How about ya man up an post apology for this BS attack based on your fear of gunsmiths

The smith in question is a good guy i will still recommend him to folk for builds, his workmanship is beyond reapproach
Had the OP called on due date instead of calling and calling when date was still 5 weeks out this would of never been an issue
OP handled this very poorly and created issue from nothing based on being ripped off before
So how about ya man up and apologize for acting like a fool
Will you be as quick to recognize your at fault here and post retraction, doubtful.

Please note, my contract, as specified by me, was for work "not to exceed 10 weeks" unless approved in writing by me. Smith had quoted me a lead time of 4-5 weeks at best. I dropped off rifle and parts Feb 28. My first contact was e-mail to wish smith a "happy Easter". My second contact was at 5 weeks (April 8) simply asking "please let me know how things are coming along on the rifle build". I got "In the works, unfortunately things are coming in faster than I can log them in". I told him I had a competition in May and asked him, again in email, "Can you have it ready for scope fitting in 2 weeks?" His response "Would be close, have a few ahead of yours". My next contact via email was week 8 (April 26) and was for a status update and asking when I could bring my scope in for fitting. I had questions about his test-firing procedure, and wanted to instruct him as to what I wanted. I got no response. On May 1, I emailed and asked if I could make an appointment with him. I also did this via voice mail. No response. I repeated this on May 3. On May 4, I repeated same. Tell me if this is harassment, as you call it?

Again, also read the title of my original post. It is asking what to do when a smith doesn't return call or email. It has nothing to do about breaking a contract.

Last edited:
Personally, it sounds as if you need to be more patient, and the smith probably oughtta learn to get better at communication.

I doubt a busy smiths top priority is your scope fitting appointment. Rather, top priority is fulfilling his contractual obligations; namely delivering your rifle in 10 weeks.

I see you were clever to add "not to exceed", but let's be honest: you've got a highly sought after, busy gunsmith...its going to take the full 10 weeks.

I do indeed think your repeated calls were a kind of harassment, but again, smith should have called or written back.

If I were the smith, I would have replied "I'm too busy for a scope fitting appointment. Your rifle will be done on the agreed upon day for you to collect, see you then."

Also, any call answered would probably require the person coming into the work area to get the info from the smith anyway, so why not take the call yoursel!

Really?? I wish you would come to my job repairing cars and tell my bosses to leave me alone and stop wasting my time with customers questions about there cars.

I should have put that 10 week thing in my marriage license, I dont think I ever did a contract with a Gunsmith, only a handshake and receipt for gun.

I sent my parts to a popular smith on here with a verbal quote of 8 weeks. I left him alone until 8 weeks, at which time I sent a quick message to ask if he was still on schedule. He let me know it was being done that week, and I was happy. These guys are busy, and the last thing I want is to rush someone who is building a precision product. I got notified that I was ready at exactly the time he said. If he had gone over by a month I would still be happy. I am not going to push them. I think you may have pushed him a little bit, and by bringing him into a thread on here, even before the time was up on your contract might be a little much. I would consider apologizing to him for getting wound up.

I know who the smith is, if you think he feels the same way as you, his supporters, post his name and business. I bet he wants every build he can get, if like you said he is willing to tell people to go somewhere else, it is only a matter of time.

I do hope he is getting better advice than that of his friends.

This post confirms my statement that he doesn't want you as a customer. I guarantee you he has a dozen regulars that would keep him busy without trying to work in newcomers. Only a fool would suggest posting his name and buis. on this thread. (Hint) Look in the mirror.

He's a National Champion shooter and that wave alone will carry him to the end of his gunsmithing days. I don't think he gets your smith to build his rifles.

Please note, my contract, as specified by me, was for work "not to exceed 10 weeks" unless approved in writing by me. Smith had quoted me a lead time of 4-5 weeks at best. I dropped off rifle and parts Feb 28. My first contact was e-mail to wish smith a "happy Easter". My second contact was at 5 weeks (April 8) simply asking "please let me know how things are coming along on the rifle build". I got "In the works, unfortunately things are coming in faster than I can log them in". I told him I had a competition in May and asked him, again in email, "Can you have it ready for scope fitting in 2 weeks?" His response "Would be close, have a few ahead of yours". My next contact via email was week 8 (April 26) and was for a status update and asking when I could bring my scope in for fitting. I had questions about his test-firing procedure, and wanted to instruct him as to what I wanted. I got no response. On May 1, I emailed and asked if I could make an appointment with him. I also did this via voice mail. No response. I repeated this on May 3. On May 4, I repeated same. Tell me if this is harassment, as you call it?

Again, also read the title of my original post. It is asking what to do when a smith doesn't return call or email. It has nothing to do about breaking a contract.

Sounds like you cut things a little close with your competition. What if you got a bad barrel? (it happens) I hope you are not one of those guys that only have 1 rifle. If you are, I don't think you would be much competition in the match.

Ah, the great unwashed. I honestly wish some of you that have armchaired this thread could sit in the shop for one day...ONE DAY! You would throw up your hands and say...no way...no way would I deal with what he deals with daily. Phone ringing whilst turning barrels, coating parts, putting a stock on the mill to do some fine tuning so it fits the customer just right...building rifles that cover multiple shooting disciplines, etc. I've been in that shop while he had a barrel chucked up, reamer going in...and the phone rings...it's the customer of the build he's working on.
Guess what.. change #4.. I've decided to do 'insert caliber here' instead of 'insert caliber here' and leave it at 28"...I want it to be an F-Class type build. Well, spec sheet says cut to 23" from breach (to save weight on an HV contour) and chamber to 'insert caliber here'. Barrel has been cut, and reamer has started cutting....as the customer calls to change his mind for the FOURTH time (heard the conversation on speaker phone).
Gunsmith informs the customer that the build has begun as per the latest specs.... customer gets huffy...really? What does gunsmith do? All stop... removed barrel...went to HIS OWN BARREL STASH for his OWN RIFLE BUILD...pulled same type of 6.5mm barrel and proceeded with the build per the customers last change after confirming 'no more changes'. I don't know about you, but I'd have told the customer 'sorry'...I've already started and there's no making changes now.

One man shop, small business owner, trying to please everyone as best he can (with no complaints from any that I know of). One guy gets a case of the ass and it's the gunsmith's fault by default.....gotcha. Two sides to everything, and the side that has been presented has some fuzzy 'facts'...and I use that term loosely.
Thats pretty cool of him, who is this guy? You can pm me if you wish. I know when Brux sent the wrong twist barrel to my gunsmith, pulled out one of his bartleins that he had and it was all the correct specs and installed it instead.

This post confirms my statement that he doesn't want you as a customer. I guarantee you he has a dozen regulars that would keep him busy without trying to work in newcomers. Only a fool would suggest posting his name and buis. on this thread. (Hint) Look in the mirror.

He's a National Champion shooter and that wave alone will carry him to the end of his gunsmithing days. I don't think he gets your smith to build his rifles.

Dude, you are the absolute worst customer relations representative I have seen in a while. Let me post a few of the recommendations you put forth of the guy who is building my gun:

"He (said gunsmith) tells me it hasn't been 10 weeks YET! I would think some dumbass wanting something that he can't do from someone that can would be willing to wait until the deadline passed before trashing them. As far as I know there is nothing in the "contract" that says he has to babysit you on the phone or answer any of your emails. It is funny to me that so many of you guys think your stuff is so important and you should get VIP treatment." (Note, I have NOT trashed anyone, but you are doing a good job of it).

"Read the thread. He's a one man shop. Funny thing is gunsmithing trashes all the rules in sales. "the customer is always right" I've told many where the door was. There are always 2 holding the door open for the guy that leaves mad."

"It pisses me off too! As said, the 10 weeks are not up yet and I say fuck customers like this!"

"If you only had a clue. Running an operation like his is a juggling act. PM sweets and ask him when the 10 wks is up. Every minute he (smith) spends on the phone or emailing subtracts from the 10 weeks. Imagine having 20 guys calling and emailing daily."

"Trust me, he doesn't want or need you as a customer. As I said earlier there are 2 more behind you fighting for the door. As far as the "bad rap" goes, thanks for the laugh. As Jack says it's a supply and demand issue. You can get pissed at the ones that know what they are doing and go somewhere else and get screwed or just bite your lip and deal with it."

"This post confirms my statement that he doesn't want you as a customer. I guarantee you he has a dozen regulars that would keep him busy without trying to work in newcomers. Only a fool would suggest posting his name and buis. on this thread. (Hint) Look in the mirror."

"He's a National Champion shooter and that wave alone will carry him to the end of his gunsmithing days."
___

So, as his spokesperson, you refer to customers as dumbasses, tell me to fuck off, and think he can rest on his laurels and regulars to get by. Note: I think he has confided in you, but doesn't really want you as his spokesperson. Better check with him on that before you say anything else.

Last edited:
___

So, as his spokesperson, you refer to customers as dumbasses, tell me to fuck off, and think he can rest on his laurels and regulars to get by. Note: I think he has confided in you, but doesn't really want you as his spokesperson. Better check with him on that before you say anything else.[/QUOTE]

You're pretty astute. Please be clear in understanding that I'm not his spokesperson and all of my posts and comments are mine. More than likely he would regret telling me about this thread if he had time to read my comments. I stand by the dumbass and telling customers like you to fuck off. After going through this for over 30 years I guess it's gotten to me. I've had thousands of people like you call call and call and when I finally get it done, they don't pick it up for a month. Sorry to have gotten under some of you guys skin but I like it and Thanks for letting me.

IDK about the not returning calls thing, but I've NEVER had a rifle done in the time frame that I was quoted. 12 weeks has always turned in to 6+ months. I've always been happy with how the rifle has turned out. I had a 12 week estimate take 10 months. I think that right now is just a tough time to keep up with the demand...

My next contact via email was week 8 (April 26) and was for a status update and asking when I could bring my scope in for fitting.

2 weeks before ETA. The job can't take a week even if you are going to the range half of that time. I don't think he's sitting by the pool sippin' a cold one since he has to do the Cub Scout thing with his son. Glad you are so understanding to start this thread about a week before it was to be ready. The "few ahead of you" might be for some of our troops that really need them. Bravo to you!!!

Holy crap man why are you calling? you have been calling for a month on a 10 week build that is NOT even due yet
So after 4 weeks you started calling LMAO
The smith your slamming is 10mins from my house, I vouch for him 100%
He has way more patience than i, I would tell you to come get your crap and find another smith
No one wants a peach of a customer like your self
Why dont you tell us how many times you have called and emailed on this build before completion date?
The smith is NOT the issue here, YOU are
Sorry you have been mistreated by other smiths, again why are you calling and calling and calling for over a month on a 10 week build which has only just reaching due date?
No wonder he wont acknowledge you, PITA
RELAX bro
You might wanna rethink this, as in apologize for harassing the shit out of the guy for over a month on a build that is NOT overdue
WTF are you bitching about?
So all you have done is lost a good smith to work on your gear, OUTSTANDING press on

PS
I hope he gives you a box of parts, as thats all you deserve for acting like clown

You make it sound like he was harassing the shit out of the smith by ringing and emailing him repeatedly, but the only reason for the repeated calls and emails was due to the smith not answering his phone or returning his call or email. If the smith had answered the initial call or email and explained where the build was at he wouldn't have had to keep ringing and emailing trying to get a response. Maybe he should get a bluetooth ear piece for his phone, sounds like he needs an assistant to deal with the phone.

I'm not a Gunsmith but I am in the service business. A person can run their business however they choose.

Here's how I would have handled this type of situation. I would not have given a delivery date I couldn't meet. I would not have signed a contract for any date. I would have answered every email and voice mail. I would have stated that I was on schedule and that I would most likely be ahead of schedule if it wasn't for all the time I had to spend answering emails and voice mails.

I'm not a Gunsmith but I am in the service business. A person can run their business however they choose.

Here's how I would have handled this type of situation. I would not have given a delivery date I couldn't meet. I would not have signed a contract for any date. I would have answered every email and voice mail. I would have stated that I was on schedule and that I would most likely be ahead of schedule if it wasn't for all the time I had to spend answering emails and voice mails.

Best post of the thread.

reading this thread laughing while over in South Dakota they are turning metal work back in about 2-3 days....maybe you bet on the wrong horse

RJB,
So you and 11 of your friends are keeping your guy in business? "Only a fool would suggest posting his name and buis. on this thread. (Hint) Look in the mirror" why this statement if he doesn't need any builds? You're just glad to have a coattail to hang on to, you are so proud he lets you sweep the floor and carry out the trash you forgot your not smart enough to be his spokesperson.

It's hard to believe a 30 year old guy would make the statements you have made, little less one older. Maybe that's the reason you couldn't make it as a gunsmith, but you do get to claim one as your friend!

By the way I know the smith well, I didn't know he was popular here. I will give him a call and see if he would like to build me another rifle, better yet I will let you, his spokesman make that decision for both of us!!!!

RJB,
So you and 11 of your friends are keeping your guy in business? "Only a fool would suggest posting his name and buis. on this thread. (Hint) Look in the mirror" why this statement if he doesn't need any builds? You're just glad to have a coattail to hang on to, you are so proud he lets you sweep the floor and carry out the trash you forgot your not smart enough to be his spokesperson.

It's hard to believe a 30 year old guy would make the statements you have made, little less one older. Maybe that's the reason you couldn't make it as a gunsmith, but you do get to claim one as your friend!

By the way I know the smith well, I didn't know he was popular here. I will give him a call and see if he would like to build me another rifle, better yet I will let you, his spokesman make that decision for both of us!!!!

Good try mav.

I'll nibble but I won't bite. You don't even know what a gunsmith is. A monkey could be taught to do what "rifle builders" do. I am a gunsmith. That requires a little more than machinist skills.

Ah, the great unwashed. I honestly wish some of you that have armchaired this thread could sit in the shop for one day...ONE DAY! You would throw up your hands and say...no way...no way would I deal with what he deals with daily. Phone ringing whilst turning barrels, coating parts, putting a stock on the mill to do some fine tuning so it fits the customer just right...building rifles that cover multiple shooting disciplines, etc. I've been in that shop while he had a barrel chucked up, reamer going in...and the phone rings...it's the customer of the build he's working on.
Guess what.. change #4.. I've decided to do 'insert caliber here' instead of 'insert caliber here' and leave it at 28"...I want it to be an F-Class type build. Well, spec sheet says cut to 23" from breach (to save weight on an HV contour) and chamber to 'insert caliber here'. Barrel has been cut, and reamer has started cutting....as the customer calls to change his mind for the FOURTH time (heard the conversation on speaker phone).
Gunsmith informs the customer that the build has begun as per the latest specs.... customer gets huffy...really? What does gunsmith do? All stop... removed barrel...went to HIS OWN BARREL STASH for his OWN RIFLE BUILD...pulled same type of 6.5mm barrel and proceeded with the build per the customers last change after confirming 'no more changes'. I don't know about you, but I'd have told the customer 'sorry'...I've already started and there's no making changes now.

One man shop, small business owner, trying to please everyone as best he can (with no complaints from any that I know of). One guy gets a case of the ass and it's the gunsmith's fault by default.....gotcha. Two sides to everything, and the side that has been presented has some fuzzy 'facts'...and I use that term loosely.

He chose his career no one forced him into it! and if you are such a great friend as you say in other posts then why are you not in there answering some of the phone calls and responding to some emails if he is so swamped that he cant do it himself? Just by your responses to the OPs comments makes me want to stay away from him now anyway! The best part is you are getting so fired up and damn near telling everyone who the smith is when the OP didnt want to do but leave it to you a great friend that wont help a pal out to let everyone basically know who to stay away from...Bravo!!!

I don't have a dog in this fight but RJB you are not doing your 'friend' any favors. If he does feel the way you've depicted not many people are going to want to do business with him regardless of who's 'right' with what is going on between he and the OP. And what's even worse is that those who read this train wreck and that don't know who 'he' is may just avoid any smiths in that area to be safe. Just something to think about.

L

you guys are arguing in circles. I've been screwed over by a smith and it wasn't fun and it pissed me off. We can all agree that hasn't happened here. The OP got the response he wanted. He called attention to his issue and the gunsmith contacted him. He now knows where he is on the build. I would venture to guess it will be the last rifle that the smith will do for him.

However you guys defending the smith (who most of us know who it is by now) don't make him sound too good. If he doesn't value every customer that comes through the door then I don't want him working on my stuff.

If I were the OP I would close the thread. The discussion is now circling the drain.

Quite the thread going here.

I just had a gun built and it was done on time or before with great customer service etc. If I were you I wouldn't sweat it , I'd get my completed gun and just simply never use the smith again .

There are gunsmiths who do keep their word and schedules and if I'm promised something I'm paying good money for I expect it to be ready close to the time frame I was told.

I don't have a dog in this fight but RJB you are not doing your 'friend' any favors. If he does feel the way you've depicted not many people are going to want to do business with him regardless of who's 'right' with what is going on between he and the OP. And what's even worse is that those who read this train wreck and that don't know who 'he' is may just avoid any smiths in that area to be safe. Just something to think about.

L

It's a simple matter of perspective. No matter how many times I say it, you knuckleheads can't seem to grasp the fact that there are not enough smiths in the area to handle the demand. Do you think he's running 10 wks by choice? I haven't spoken to him since I started posting on this but I suspect the thought of you f'ers avoiding the area give him the same warm fuzzy feeling I get. The thought of getting caught up puts a smile on my face and makes me think of a trip to the beach.

You think it's a curse. I know it is a favor. He would welcome a break.

I am on week 24 from Crescent Customs (not at all associated with this thread, so no disrespect at all intended to moon), I dragged my feet on getting him some of the parts, and it was through Moon's outstanding generosity through prize table donations that this is even coming to fruition. Moon has to be one of the finest smiths in the country, and wait times show it, and i don't mind waiting at all, because i know what the end product will be. People who piss and moan about wait times have no business in Custom Rifles, because the lack of patience displayed will not be to your advantage while attempting to master the usage of such a tool, and let's be honest here, that will sit in a safe or closet 85% of the time anyway. Think of it like the difference between Chip Foose building your 68' Camaro, frame off restoration which takes years, or the other option, which you seem to be looking for which takes a weekend and a bunch of chimps "Pimp my Ride".

The best advice I can give anyone for a custom build is this: Time is not a factor if you want it done correctly. Time is not a factor for the best smiths in the industry to build you a tool that they themselves would use without question. Time is not a factor for something that will last, nearly forever. Send them your shit, and forget about it, then one day your ffl gives you a call and says he has a box for you.

To the OP, order a suppressor, and when your paper work is not done in 4-5 months, and you have not heard anything from the BATFE, call them and see where that gets you. It's the same situation as this, and quite simple really, it will get done when it gets done, and you already know this, so the call is pointless to begin with. The last thing I want to do is leave a bad impression as a needy bitch with my smith. That's a sure way to be black listed, as someone so busy does not need your business. Poor coms has nothing to do with being one of the best rifle builder. (Not suggesting at all I have had poor coms or troubles at all, quite the contrary). I just try my hardest to let them work.

Its absolutely impossible for us big kids to wait for our new toys to get here, just like it used to be impossible to wait for Christmas as children.

Last edited:
you guys are arguing in circles. I've been screwed over by a smith and it wasn't fun and it pissed me off. We can all agree that hasn't happened here. The OP got the response he wanted. He called attention to his issue and the gunsmith contacted him. He now knows where he is on the build. I would venture to guess it will be the last rifle that the smith will do for him.

However you guys defending the smith (who most of us know who it is by now) don't make him sound too good. If he doesn't value every customer that comes through the door then I don't want him working on my stuff.

If I were the OP I would close the thread. The discussion is now circling the drain.

Sometimes the truth hurts but let's man up and face it. Anyone that vows to avoid the smith in question just because I said that holding that rifle makes you look fat only shows their intelligence level and it is their loss.

I'm sure everyone knows this but just in case, let me spell it out for you. The human being is a strange and curious critter. For every 1 customer I turn away with my attitude 2 or 10 will smart ones will replace him or her. That's just human nature.

Everyone knows that he builds a fine rifle. That is an undisputable fact. Anyone that holds what I say against him is the loser!

I don't know why all you guys are defending the gunsmith.
The man signed a contract to do the work within a 10 week period. No one forced him to sign it.
He did not have to take on the work. There are a lot of times I have to pass on bidding a contract because the completion date does not fit into my schedule, and don't want to pay liquidated damages.
And as far as not responding to an email or text, what does that take, all of about 30 seconds.
Just shows a lack of respect to a customer.

RJBGuns00;2495380Do you think he's running 10 wks by choice? [/QUOTE said:
Yes, as no one is forcing him to take work he can't complete in the time he supposedly committed to. And do those other smiths in the area I referred to feel the same? You seem to be speaking for them also now.

And for the record I think 10 weeks isn't that long of a wait. I'm in the same wagon as Hasgun with the same smith and I'm a happy camper. And he takes the time to answer all my dumb-ass questions. I just point out that the way you are portraying this particular smith's attitude isn't all that positive.

L

Last edited:
Yes, as no one is forcing him to take work he can't complete in the time he supposedly committed to. And do those other smiths in the area I referred to feel the same? You seem to be speaking for them also now.

And for the record I think 10 weeks isn't that long of a wait. I'm in the same wagon as Hasgun with the same smith and I'm a happy camper. And he takes the time to answer all my dumb-ass questions. I just point out that the way you are portraying this particular smith's attitude isn't all that positive.

L

I could be wrong because math is not my strong suit but I think today makes 10 weeks. The rifle is complete so I'd say he delivered.

I bet you do ask a bunch of dumbass questions. To even insinuate that I'm speaking for him or reflecting his attitude (or anyone else for that matter) is ridiculous.

As far as your happy wagon goes, it's just a matter of time before your smith gets tired of pampering and wiping your ass.

Layton, I can tell you RJB is just a wanna be friend. Mark lets him hang out and it makes him think he has friends. He tried his hand at being a gunsmith maybe he will tell us just how many guns he is buiding today, none for pay.

You would think the way he talks he has people tearing down his door to get a gun done by the friend of a national championship shooter. Don't we all want a gun built by a loud mouth bragget who happens to think he has friends?

I hope the op got his rifle he will enjoy shooting it.

Not sure if anybody is interested at this point, but I picked my rifle up today from the smith. It is a beautiful thing. I'm very happy with the end result. Of course, I haven't shot it yet but certainly don't anticipate being disappointed. Since my issue was "communication" and NOTHING ELSE, I want to let you know that in my book, all's well that ends well and I would use this smith again if he'd have me.

I know the feeling, I get itchy, I want to call, email, I want UPDATES! But I know the guy has more on his plate than just my work, so I go have a cookie and fap to a Selena Gomez music video.

I've had work done by this gunsmith previously though, so I know he'll deliver in a timely manner. I'm going to be waiting a while for my 700 to be trued and changed over to 6.5 Creedmoor. The gunsmith didn't even give me a timeline, he just said 'This is going to take a while.' I planned ahead for this though, and only dropped the gun off once my Mega MATEN was almost done.

Sometimes ya gotta it suck it up and wait. Find something to keep you busy in the meantime, and always plan for things taking longer than they should. Is that the way the world should work? NOPE. Is the way the world does work? YUP.

P.S. If the guy wasn't a douche before, he probably didn't magically turn into a douche. Being a great gunsmith but a poor customer service rep doesn't make him a douche, just means his business model could improve in some areas.

Nice to here the OP got his rifle in time, but I have to believe this Internet pressure might have had something to do with it.
I'm sure the smith wanted to get it done and be done with this customer.
On a personal note, I will not be so easily sucked in to a thread like this in the future.

Layton, I can tell you RJB is just a wanna be friend. Mark lets him hang out and it makes him think he has friends. He tried his hand at being a gunsmith maybe he will tell us just how many guns he is buiding today, none for pay.

You would think the way he talks he has people tearing down his door to get a gun done by the friend of a national championship shooter. Don't we all want a gun built by a loud mouth bragget who happens to think he has friends?

I hope the op got his rifle he will enjoy shooting it.

Heh Heh Heh Mofo

In case you haven't noticed I've spent most of my life avoiding "friends" because they always want something or I take pity on them and help out when they are in a bind.

Persevere to perceive this.

My failed attempt at a gunsmithing career has payed off my house and unfortunately that has rendered me semi-retired. That being said I only have 4 "builds" in the works. I don't consider a rebbl a "build" but I sent one out this morn, 1 done on the bench, 2 in the queue.

The "builds" are bbls, walnut stocks carved from blanks and checkered. I have 1 stock finished and 99% checkered. The other 3 are waiting for the final finish coat and checkering. Bbls are fitted and parts are blued waiting for assembly. I don't know how to post pics on here but I can email some to you if you have doubts.

I don't get where you come up with the bragging thing. My only statement in that vein was that I am a gunsmith. Maybe you should do some research before you start your loud mouthed naysaying. Granted I'm a grumpy asshole but you will have to look hard to find someone to criticize my smithing ability.

Glad to hear you are happy with your rifle Sweets. You will be happier with it once you get the bore smoothed out with some shooting.

So you badgered him what, 7 times before your rifle was even due to be done? Apparently the 10 weeks was up yesterday, and this thread was off to a running start before that date ever arrived.

It sounds like you need to chill and realize that every minute he spends reading your emails, listening to your VMs, and replying is making it harder for him to deliver your rifle on time. It sounds like he tried to reply to you at first but when it got ridiculous he simply didn't indulge you. I can't really blame him.

I was kind of with you on this until I read the quoted post.

RJB
I would be interested in seeing examples of your checkering
Got a bubinga stock I might need checkering on.
Maybe start a thread under the gunsmith section.

RJB
I would be interested in seeing examples of your checkering
Got a bubinga stock I might need checkering on.
Maybe start a thread under the gunsmith section.

I can send you some pics but it would be to no avail. I am not soliciting work and when these are done I only plan to checker my own stuff from here on. Thanks though.

I'm not offering up the name of the smith at this point. I know a bad rep will kill a business. The guy is out of town, about 160mi drive. I dropped off EVERYTHING needed for my rifle build: Rem 700 rifle, new Krieger barrel, new Manners stock with pillar bedding in place, Badger rings and DBM metal, new Timney trigger, for a M40A1 build. Should have been about 10 hours work. Cost was set at $875. Now the guy is a ghost for 4 weeks. I had a friend email him and he responded immediately to him yesterday. Guy doesn't return my calls or emails. I have NOT been a pain in the ass, either.
Contact a lawyer.

Not sure if anybody is interested at this point, but I picked my rifle up today from the smith. It is a beautiful thing. I'm very happy with the end result. Of course, I haven't shot it yet but certainly don't anticipate being disappointed. Since my issue was "communication" and NOTHING ELSE, I want to let you know that in my book, all's well that ends well and I would use this smith again if he'd have me.
Or not contact a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.