• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where are all the employees ?

I've put in for 3 different Fire Department FF/EMT-B positions and haven't gotten a call back. I've got an honorable discharge from the military and all required fire certs(EMT-B, FF1, FF2, HAZMAT AWR & OPS) and have the double jab and covid papers from the military :mad: So....There's a claim there's no jobs. When you have all the certifications and put in for a job you're more than capable of, they don't call you back. I'm starting to get pissed. There's plenty of workers wanting to serve and work. :cautious:

Fire Department typically = government - either local, state, or Federal. You may not meet the real hiring criteria that has nothing to do with skills, qualifications, etc. Suggest you try heavy industry/large process plants like Pulp/Paper, Oil/Gas, Chemical - they often have an onsite Fire/EMS/Safety team that may be a good fit

In my area, the Fire Department only hires 2 times each year. I know you have all the certs you will need, you will still probably have to go through their academy. So maybe it's not anything more than timing. Good luck!

Any industry you talk to can’t find employees.

Where are they all ? Welfare ? .gov “jobs”. Moms basement ?
Yes sir, but there is more to it.

I hear that. Full time employed as a carpenter, been in the trade a long time. Never stopped working throughout this mess.

Yet, can't catch a fucking raise, and 80% of the crews around here can't get any help......🤔
Exactly. I took a new job, for a set salary but that was on the agreement of flex time, a certain amount of hours and so on. That soon went away and some people quit and then I’m working 100 hrs a week for the same pay consistently now for over a year. Finally had a review a year later than I was supposed to and I’m told I’m super awesome, they glad I stayed, gave me 3% raise. I’m over here like WTF? That doesn’t even remotely cover me working those kinds of hours or even my cost difference in gas alone from when I started to now. What do you think I’m doing at the moment? So I find myself on the fence about all this. On the one hand I agree with the employers, but on the other hand quit bitching about not being able to find and keep good people when you don’t reward the great people you have with anything!!!!

Even if you interview and hire people..... they don’t even show up for the first day of work.
I’m not sure why they bother wasting their time and mine To even pretend they will come to work.
That’s sad and I’m pretty sure that’s industry specific.

I predict the closing of an inordinate amount of business', mostly brick an mortar and mostly retail, in the next six months. I think many were hoping that Christmas would be their savior but it wasn't. Unemployment is drying up and the rent moratorium is gone. Takes a minute for that shit to hit reality.

And all those companies looking for workers will have as many as they like at a discount.
Maybe. Or they just move overseas. There are few companies now not using overseas labor which obviously we can’t compete with because some countries have workers that are damn near complete slaves.

You hit on something here. My opinion is that having all the time off during Queef-19 has shown people the value of their time. Yes, a bunch mooched, but many enjoyed a lot more time with family and general wellness.

Now people want more pay to leave that. An equilibrium will be found, or people will be replaced with robots, lol.
A little bit of this! I worked from home for years before getting laid off at the beginning of the pandemic. Made it through several before the pandemic and the company was already struggling. They had to make cuts. I knew it was coming but decided to ride it out as it wasn’t a job for me, more like getting paid for a hobby. I loved every minute of it. I also want to add that working from home has a shit ton of benefits for both sides. If companies can do it, they should imo.

There are lots of jobs here, for 1/2 what an experienced person expects in pay. Either businesses are built on an unsound model, or are just too cheap. Good employees are working, just not for the employers whining about staffing levels. If you can not attract quality employees, up your game or close your business. Why the fuck should I work cheap so you can get rich off my efforts. I’m working now, but I will continue to trade up jobs without a lot of loyalty unless an employer steps up. I’m a experienced, qualified trades person with very broad skills. I am the super model of employees, but employers are mostly chubby geeks with sweaty hands wanting a kiss.
I agree with a little of this as well. I know for a fact what my wife is worth and 3 years ago she could pretty much ask for whatever she wanted. Because she got used to working from home tho and her boss wants her to be one of the 10% to remain working at the office at their HQ she started looking. Not only do the people she has interviewed with want to pay her half her current rate, they want her to work more hours and drive in every day. Now why would anyone take that? I think a lot of companies are being super stupid in their wage/benefit offerings right now. Again if you want to attract worthy people you got to offer something. Meanwhile the professionals making $29 an hour scratching their heads and raising their eyebrows at some of these jobs like Chick-Fil-A offering $21.95 an hour to walk food 10’ to a car. If something don’t change quick it’s all going to come crashing down. Cause I bet the pros looking at those wages and the stress level of that job compared to their own and are mulling over ideas in their heads...

If I put an ad in the local paper saying I'd pay $1,000/week for someone to mow my yard, my phone would blow up with willing people.
When government advises they'll pay women to raise bastard kids in a fatherless home, folks will sign up for that too.
Stop rewarding bad behavior and it will stop.
And this...
Try again....

If you are a customer service person or some other low skill job, I agree. God luck with professional tech people. The Bay Area is dying and the number of people applying to get a job has doubled.

I have worked from home for 6 years now. I have no fear of an overseas person taking away what I do for my company. Based on what I get paid, I would say my employer worries that I will leave and work for another Bay Area firm..

Depends on the skills you bring to the table
Agreed!

This

And AI will replace a lot of people who thought themselves as indispensable
And a little bit of this. Those guys making $38 a hour to push a button are going to be in for a big awakening.

Last edited:
One thing that I have found to be true in a lot of workplaces is that management will not pay anyone under their control more than they make themselves. When they can't find any suckers to work for their below market wages, they end up bidding the work out at 3x-4x what they were willing to pay an in-house employee. Stupidity should cost and it often does!

Another finding of mine over the years is that management will not hire anyone smarter or more qualified than they are. Most managers and supervisors are more about self preservation than actually getting the job done.
Agreed.

Sounds like government, which is basically shitty management anyways 😂
Agreed. Was about to say the same!

Do you also complain when repair shops charge $120 (and that is cheap) or more per hour to fix your vehicle or equipment? Every time our labor rate is raised we lose customers, and get complaints about how expensive we are. Yet when their equipment breaks due to lack of maintenance, etc. it's our fault or the machines fault.

My pay is directly related to labor rate.
Sort of. There was a time I did mechanic work and money wasn’t bad but I also got pissed because I felt like I was taking advantage of people. There is a difference in making money and robbing people. I’m the auto world, if memory serves me right, a brake job called for 2-4hrs of labor at $120/hr. + parts. That is bull shit. They charge that knowing damn well a decent mechanic can do a brake job in 15 minutes with a lift. So, money wasn’t bad but didnt seem right. And some local places will charge $680-$750 here to swap out some $30-$70 pads. That’s robbery imo.

I don’t complain at all, because I’d rather pay $120 for skilled work, and not have to work on the vehicle.
I see the mechanics in the back, and there is no fucking way I’d do what they do for $30 an hour. I wouldn’t do it for $50 an hour.

I guess if a shop is getting $120 an hour, I hope the mechanics are making more than $30 an hour.

As I said, I didn’t mean to be insulting, I just found $30 an hour for skilled mechanical work to be low.
I think for a master tech here$75/hr. Was pretty avg.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Do you also complain when repair shops charge $120 (and that is cheap) or more per hour to fix your vehicle or equipment? Every time our labor rate is raised we lose customers, and get complaints about how expensive we are. Yet when their equipment breaks due to lack of maintenance, etc. it's our fault or the machines fault.

My pay is directly related to labor rate.
So are you asking to have your pay cut? I’m confused? Mr.boss man?

• Haha
Reactions: JMGlasgow
Lmao id fire you immediately for your attitude.

Yiu al should run a business and deal with
Mortgage/rent
Slow times
Insurance
Employer payroll contribution beyond your paycheck
Unemployment insurance
Having to eat jobs and redo them that employees/ act if god etc fucked up
Multitude of taxes personal property tax etc
Employees not showing up or showing up high/ hung over

Employers are supposed to take all the risk but get no reward ?

You people have no idea
Sounds like you need to quit being an employer . Rough gig

Reactions: gigamortis
HALF of Americans voted for this. Not to mention that voting Democrat also means voting for all their bizarre social policies and stuff about how America is a racist hellhole country full of evil white men.
Allegedly voted for this. I’m still not convinced it was legit.
Wow! Where is this at? What is the door rate to the customer per hour?
Most good dealerships in GA were paying $55-$75 an hour for Master Techs when I was doing it...

Not only do you not know the answer to my question, you also don't know the relationship between fixed and variable labor costs, nor the relationships between costs, revenues, and profits.

Thanks for displaying an amazing amount of ignorance about how a business actually works. Now I'm sure I can disregard anything else you say on the topic.

If someone with your attitude would question how I run my business you would be fired on the spot.
People who always worry about getting fucked end up not caring if others around them get fucked……leading to all parties being fucked.

Wow! Where is this at? What is the door rate to the customer per hour?
Last automotive shop I worked at the top tech got 50% of labor rate of 120 per hr.

Generally, he was faster than book time, could diagnose, had all the tools he needed and the owner didn’t need to baby sit him. Just hand him keys and pay checks. Small family owned business in NW Florida.

There was a time when me and a buddy who had a pilot's license were flying the boss's Kingair to Reno. Been there done that.

I've known a lot of guys (and a few women) with money and no matter how nice they seem they're sharks and they serve money first, everything else second.

Some are straight up about it and I respect that. The ones who try to hide behind goodness I have no respect for.

"Nice" people almost never end up in a position of power or money because they don't crave power or money.
This might ruffle some feathers in this tread but In all my experience 100% true. And they can never buy satisfaction with all the famine mentality but they are “winning”

Reactions: SilentStalkr
HALF of Americans voted for this. Not to mention that voting Democrat also means voting for all their bizarre social policies and stuff about how America is a racist hellhole country full of evil white men.
Screenshot_20210303-072357_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The bottom line is we're in a cold war to save our republic from the internal enemy known as the DRC- dems/rinos/china alliance, and everything we're talking about stems from that cancerous axis.
Calm down. Don’t feed the beast with bullshit. Live your life with integrity and honesty. This “new Cold War” is the same old shit trying to divide you in order to make more $ and grab more power. All the while trying to make you the cheerleader for the people trying to mug you of your way of life and traditions. Don’t be angry, be aware!

Reactions: deersniper
It does seem like the hiring process has gotten pretty tough for some positions. I applied for a position as a corporate training director for a local company. No return call or even a no thanks from them. Now, I have a PhD in the field, so I found it interesting that I would not at least get some consideration. It makes me wonder what the landscape of hiring will be in the future.

For those doing the early retirement thing (which once again, represents the majority of workers who have left the workforce), this is pretty much the truth. Who coulda known that juicing the stock market to record highs would have unforeseen and unintended consequences? :ROFLMAO:

For those claiming that this doesn't explain why they can't hire a wage slave at the local bar & grill - a lot (not all, but most) of those early retirees had to get replaced by some other warm body, and so you've likely got this trickle-up "pull" reverberating through the workforce. Meanwhile, you're losing experience and tribal knowledge every time one of those greybeards walks out the door for the last time.

Ex.: Steve the 60-year-old manager doesn't come back from summer vacation after deciding to day-trade; he doesn't start collecting Social Security because LOL why bother when he's making more on good days than his yearly government payout would be. So he's not technical "retired" but he ain't coming back. The company promotes his second-in-charge (who hopefully didn't leave for the competitor who's paying 25% more), and that ripples all the way down to the 19-year-old who just got pulled from shipping and receiving to do whatever inn the quality office.

As a related side note - anyone here want to justify the process of giving nothing more than standard COLA raises of 2-3% to existing employees but paying new workers 25% more to fill the same spot when the existing guy walks after failing to negotiate a meaningful raise? Regardless of vocation, I constantly hear this from friends and family, and it seems completely ass-backwards when one considers the cost of swapping out an experienced employee for someone new. I mean, if you're upgrading talent each time this swap occurs, great - but I haven't heard this consistently happening. I know several people in particular that work in niche industries, and they just rotate through a handful of companies and pick up big raises every time they move.
Spot on in your last paragraph and precisely why I’m fixing to move on me thinks.

Some companies have a slow learning curve. They had the Obama era, when the job market was squeezed, and they "learned" that they could control the employees who were afraid of losing a job. They learned they could hand out smaller raises, and pile on more work.

Many companies have not recovered from that mind-set. They have not yet fully grasped the workforce is not as "fearful", and is willing to jump to a new job. Those slow-learning companies are still offering minimal Cost of Living raises. Those same companies had trimmed down the numbers in their workforce, so that a single employee is performing the work which was previously performed by three workers in the past. Low raises and increased demand on the workers for a decade, has led to a lot of discontent.

Other companies are looking at those who arrived from other companies, and are pleased to have workers who have such a broad diversity of related skills. They are concerned those workers might leave, and are more eager to retain them. They have rapidly learned the lesson of the changing job market.

For now, many companies are using the excuse of "shipping delays", to cover for the fact they no longer have an adequate workforce to meet timelines. That excuse is wearing thin in much of the industry.
Your first paragraph is what is making me look to moving on.

When you’re paying employees in the upper 25%, it’s difficult to bring in needed talent at a 10-20% premium over what existing employees are paid. Upsets the apple cart all the way down the line from senior PM to entry level engineer. We’ve found some success by offering them the ability to do exactly what they want (design water or wastewater plants) and by increasing the signing bonus and then putting them in line to become shareholder after 2 years. Otherwise, keep hiring entry level engineers, scientists and surveyors and provide a great training ground for them.
Damn! A shareholder after 2 years? Where? Ours does so after 10 years and ahem being invited in, it seems. But even that isn’t enough. We have had several people walk after 10 years and fixing to become shareholders because of the stupid amount of hours they were having to put in. When complaining to upper management they were told to just find ways to be more efficient. Lmao. Put it this way, in 2019 we did roughly 940 projects. In 2020, we did almost 3700, with literally zero increase in additional employees! Let that sink in. So the workload literally increase 3x over with no more hired help. Talk about running your people ragged. Then they want to offer me a measly 3%? Only think that keeps me going is tht coupled with my bonus it will wind up being around 12%, but damn, you can’t keep doing that to your people.

We have to hire more talent. We also know it will cost us. We pushed every hourly guy up by 20% starting Jan.1. The purpose was to keep from upsetting the Apple cart when we knew we would have to offer more money to get quality employees In the door. Can’t hire a guy at $30 an hour and have a guy making $25 an hour training him. Recipe for disaster!
This happens way more than it should and companies wonder why people leave!

That happens a lot more than you'd think in the corporate world especially where salaries are concerned. Just cruise job ads on any of those hellhole "resume" sites and you will find plenty of job applications where they list the pay as "competitive" and during the interview you will be told not to discuss salary with other candidates/employees.
Yes sir! Drives me insane! I don’t see why you can’t just set a salary for said job. Everyone applying knows the salary up front, everyone is equal on that aspect and you simply hire the most qualified applicant. None of this secret salary bullshit. I feel like things would work out so much better this way.

Hell my wife years ago found out that the dude she trained was making 2x as much as her!!! Same job, same degrees, he had a lot less experience and was making 2x as much and trust me, she makes pretty good. The amount of money they were paying this dude was insane imo. Why she is still loyal to said company is beyond me. She didn’t go out looking immediately because she was pregnant and said nobody would hire a pregnant woman. She is right but that’s no reason not to be looking more 4 years later.

Working for a place that discourages discussing pay rates is just one step away from wanting you to sign a non-compete clause. Both issues are red flags.
Bingo!

It does seem like the hiring process has gotten pretty tough for some positions. I applied for a position as a corporate training director for a local company. No return call or even a no thanks from them. Now, I have a PhD in the field, so I found it interesting that I would not at least get some consideration. It makes me wonder what the landscape of hiring will be in the future.
Yeah that sucks man. Reminds me of a company I applied at after getting laid off right at the start of the pandemic! I applied, went in for several interviews, did the whole thank you crap, checked in every so often and never heard back. Well it only took about 2 weeks after I got laid off for me to get picked up but I really wanted to work for this other place. My current place was first to pony up and make the offer. Anyways for shits and giggles I kept checking on the job at this other place to see if/when it would be filled. After several months I got tired of wasting my time looking. Well, I’ll have you know that after 14 months after my 3rd interview with them, that I got an email saying that they were impressed with my cred and so forth and that it came down to me and one other candidate but that they went another direction and hired the other guy. I was over here like, WTF? Really? Thanks for that. Did they think I was going to wait 14 months for them to make up their mind/respond? I’m telling y’all, shit is getting weird out there.

I also have a feeling that if something doesn’t change quick then we are going to fall. I think this is the first time that everyone is getting the shaft, usually it’s just the middle class getting squeezed and asked to just make it work because the lower class will always get some benefit deom
The gov how and work around the system to make even more, if they have to. This is for those willing to do so. Either way they are usually getting some benefit, the rich who control most of the companies can simply offset their pricing to make up the difference or switch gears and move offshore, to better equip, whatever. And the government can simply just raise taxes to cover and lay for their bullshit. It’s always the middle guy that has to just figure it out. Except now, the rich cant simply charge more because the market will only bear so much, the lower class will go ballistic if they don’t get their handouts and the gov is slowly figuring out that they are staring down a shit ton of trouble and they can’t just arbitrarily raise taxes any longer because the middle class is for the first time, slowly, giving everyone the finger. Without the middle class everything falls apart. And the middle class is being eroded by several factors. Coupled with this giving everyone the finger for those middle class that is left and well it’s going to be a wild ride.

All I can say is, when it goes crashing down, everyone is going to go down and have to embrace the suck, even the wealthy 3000 people that control more wealth than the other 7.7 billion people on this earth. It’s going to suck but maybe it will be better on the other side.

I understand this.

I sent in an amazing/over qualified resume, they called back saying it was awesome and that I would be the first person they called when they had an opening ( which would be soon because some people where leaving out ).
After some months go by, and the only contact has been me getting ahold of them. They say that the positions have been filled but they would call when they need me.
Months go by and again I reach out to see if they still need me, they say that some people are about to leave and I can call them around December.
At that point I just got another job that was closer to me and payed way better.
Some fairly good clues there. They don't have their shit together and working there would probably be nothing but headaches.

I wonder if you and the other people having issues are applying to bigger companies that are all woke and only hire sone combination of dark/ genitalia/ mental illness

White straight male checks no boxes for them

^ everyone should read that

I wonder if you and the other people having issues are applying to bigger companies that are all woke and only hire sone combination of dark/ genitalia/ mental illness

You don't just see this in mega-companies. This is happening at all levels. My niece tried to get a job at a clothing store, not the right color. They pretty much came out and told her that. She's 17 and looking to work evenings and weekends. Nope!

All I can say is, when it goes crashing down, everyone is going to go down and have to embrace the suck, even the wealthy 3000 people that control more wealth than the other 7.7 billion people on this earth. It’s going to suck but maybe it will be better on the other side.
The 3000 won’t notice a difference. They want more power. To put us back into serfdom

You don't just see this in mega-companies. This is happening at all levels. My niece tried to get a job at a clothing store, not the right color. They pretty much came out and told her that. She's 17 and looking to work evenings and weekends. Nope!
Meh I talk to a lot of small business owners. They don’t go for any of that woke shit

Meh I talk to a lot of small business owners. They don’t go for any of that woke shit

They had 3 openings, she's a solid B student. She somewhat had retail experience. She knows how to run a register. It was during the Christmas rush. But she was declined and druing the shopping season she noticed a few new employees. All Hispanic. You tell me?

She shopped there all the time, she knew all of the existing employees.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
They had 3 openings, she's a solid B student. She somewhat had retail experience. She knows how to run a register. It was during the Christmas rush. But she was declined and druing the shopping season she noticed a few new employees. All Hispanic. You tell me?

Hispanic owners / managers ?

Sounds like federal agencies where a black gets in charge of hiring

Yes sir! Drives me insane! I don’t see why you can’t just set a salary for said job. Everyone applying knows the salary up front, everyone is equal on that aspect and you simply hire the most qualified applicant. None of this secret salary bullshit. I feel like things would work out so much better this way.

Why should everyone make the same money? I've worked more jobs that are like that and it ruins good workers when they see people doing the bare minimum and getting away with it. I started my job nine months ago and I'm the top paid person in the shop.

Hispanic owners / managers ?

Sounds like federal agencies where a black gets in charge of hiring
I’ve seen this happen in a few places. The results were easily seen as the percentage of each minority race in the workforce was not representative of the surrounding population.

That is what has crossed my mind. Fortunately, I was not needing a new job, but was just testing the water.

Why should everyone make the same money? I've worked more jobs that are like that and it ruins good workers when they see people doing the bare minimum and getting away with it. I started my job nine months ago and I'm the top paid person in the shop.

95/100 people are average, doing average work for average pay. The true asskickers are very rare.

Also hardworking troublemakers are a thing. Most of the guys who think they are asskickers fall into this category. The only guys in construction I have ever fired were hardworking troublemakers, one because he framed a bunch of shit wrong and then threw a tantrum at me and another because he dug up water lines and power lines after I told him specifically not to dig in that spot.

Yes sir! Drives me insane! I don’t see why you can’t just set a salary for said job. Everyone applying knows the salary up front, everyone is equal on that aspect and you simply hire the most qualified applicant.

Because they wanna fuck you in the ass, that's why. They're hoping you are honest and hardworking so you will ask for a "reasonable" salary, they'll undersell you and you will work for shit money for three or four years hoping to get that raise that never comes.

95/100 people are average, doing average work for average pay. The true asskickers are very rare.

Also hardworking troublemakers are a thing. Most of the guys who think they are asskickers fall into this category. The only guys in construction I have ever fired were hardworking troublemakers, one because he framed a bunch of shit wrong and then threw a tantrum at me and another because he dug up water lines and power lines after I told him specifically not to dig in that spot.

Because they wanna fuck you in the ass, that's why. They're hoping you are honest and hardworking so you will ask for a "reasonable" salary, they'll undersell you and you will work for shit money for three or four years hoping to get that raise that never comes.

Being pretty optimistic at 95% falling into the average category. I'd say about 50-60% are below average nowadays.

Ha ha another one of the slave owner.
Spoken like a true union slug

You’re too old but a lot of people are going to be in for a awakening when all these business owners throw their hands up and say fuck it and you turds are forced to work for Walmart and Amazon who give zero fucks about you and you and everyone else will have a zero upward mobility

Go do all the work ourselves but still pay an ever increasing confiscatory tax rate to pay for all the welfare parasites , .gov parasites and crony capitalism big business parasites
Ha ha look at all wanna be slave owners .
Justan idea, about you waddle your fat ass down to your local union hiring hall for whatever specific job/trade you're trying to hire for and become signatory.
But know...
you are too ignorant to educate yourselves how a union hiring hall actually works.
Y'all just wanna sit around and badmouth and motherfuck your fellow working man.

Ha ha another one of the slave owner.

Ha ha look at all wanna be slave owners .
Justan idea, about you waddle your fat ass down to your local union hiring hall for whatever specific job/trade you're trying to hire for and become signatory.
But know...
you are too ignorant to educate yourselves how a union hiring hall actually works.
Y'all just wanna sit around and badmouth and motherfuck your fellow working man.
Keep on killing jobs and driving up the cost of everything.

Bunch of fucking parasites. Not all. But the vast vast majority.

Scum

Labor unions for public jobs should be outlawed- no one paid by tax dollars should be permitted to unionize- and we can thank JFK for making unions legal for gubmint jobs.

Labor unions are a socialist concept.

Scum
That's not true sir, the vast majority of your hiring employees want to do a good job.
As you've alluded not all but the vast majority want to see their employer succeed.
I do is speak from experience of 40 years.
As a hiring hall union member we had no paid vacation,no paid holidays and most importantly no seniority.
We were 100% employed at the will of the signatory employer on merits of our ability to produce.]
If the employer was not happy with the signatory union member that he was dispatched he could lay off that signatory employee with no compensation in regards to unemployment or any other factors.

That's not true sir, the vast majority of your hiring employees want to do a good job.
As you've alluded not all but the vast majority want to see their employer succeed.
I do is speak from experience of 40 years.
As a hiring hall union member we had no paid vacation,no paid holidays and most importantly no seniority.
We were 100% employed at the will of the signatory employer on merits of our ability to produce.]
If the employer was not happy with the signatory union member that he was dispatched he could lay off that signatory employee with no compensation in regards to unemployment or any other factors.
From what I see and hear about Union construction jobs and utilities around here they are a bunch of lazy scum.

How do you explain the political donations ?

Reactions: Milf Dots
I was in the Union (IBEW), and even though I was opposed to much of what they stood for (as being outdated by 100-years), they did good.

A good example is management was trying to force me to perform tasks alone in a high voltage environment that clearly violated safety rules and guidelines that required two persons to perform the job. When I pointed that out to them, they provided a part time laborer (handyman/janitor) to be my second person. When I complained to the Union, they took my complaint to upper management saying the second person had to be high voltage qualified also, and the top manager ruled in favor of my complaint. If it wasn't for the Union, then I would have surely been disciplined for not wanting to do my job, when in fact I was being concerned about safety.

Unions do some good, and I'll leave it at that.

Yes please gentlemen let me help you understand the relevance and need for private sector union hall employees and employers who are signatory to the contract.
Let's say that you are an owner of a major tradeshow association under contract to install and dismantle a trade show in Las Vegas.
Let's say that the logistics of said tradeshow Labor requirements are astronomical in nature (over 10,000 in person journeyman) .
You as the signatory between the tradeshow association and representing labor will need temporary 10,000 employees to put in install and dissmanta said tradeshow.
So you as the signatory need to provide the labor.

What are you what is the signatory employ gonna do?
Advertise in the paper for 10,000?

Not hardly...you're gonna reach out to your local tradeshow signatory labor provider for the journeyman and qualified craftsman who under contract and obliged to have the skills in order to accomplish the task required by the employer.
So... now the trade show is gone.
all the 10,000 needed to install are in the tank.
How do you retain those for the next show

Agreed to some extent.
The 3000 won’t notice a difference. They want more power. To put us back into serfdom
Depends on how painful you make it for them. I’d wager those that having lived luxurious lives can deal with a lot less and more such than they can.

Are owners Hispanic? Just curious.

Because you gain more loyal employees when people know they are all on the same playing field. That doesn’t mean they can’t reward the harder worker. It just means everyone starts the same instead of under the secret umbrella bullshit. Your example will ruin good workers no matter what the starting salary is. What shop do you work at and where? What exactly do you do? What’s your current salary?

Oh and I’m constantly under suspicion that those in my group make more than me, some of them I know have to because they couldn’t survive in their towns on my salary. How do you think that makes me feel? And no they don’t have the skills I do either. There is more. Trust me the secret pay bullshit doesn’t help anything.

Scum
From my personal experience this is absolutely not true.
Walk out on the tradeshow floor of a union controlled trade show in Las Vegas and sit back and observe just how hard the vast majority of men and women are working.
We need jobs
We want these jobs
We want you coming back to Las Vegas.
We want you invested in Las Vegas.
We want your tradeshow business.
And why you think we would just sit around on our asses and motherfuck you all day long is beyond me

Reactions: BCP

Well, and don't shop there anymore.....;)

Reactions: gigamortis
Agreed to some extent.

Depends on how painful you make it for them. I’d wager those that having lived luxurious lives can deal with a lot less and more such than they can.

Are owners Hispanic? Just curious.

Because you gain more loyal employees when people know they are all on the same playing field. That doesn’t mean they can’t reward the harder worker. It just means everyone starts the same instead of under the secret umbrella bullshit. Your example will ruin good workers no matter what the starting salary is. What shop do you work at and where? What exactly do you do? What’s your current salary?

Oh and I’m constantly under suspicion that those in my group make more than me, some of them I know have to because they couldn’t survive in their towns on my salary. How do you think that makes me feel? And no they don’t have the skills I do either. There is more. Trust me the secret pay bullshit doesn’t help anything.

How exactly do you reward the harder/more knowledge worker if you want everyone making the same money?