• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where Do We Go From Here?

…I guess it couldn’t be a spring pushing up the first round as the bolt would smack into it at the second shot.

But you get the drift. Instead of coming at it with more precisely controlling the mag height, you largely ignore mag height and get the first round in there too high…but in a flexible, tolerant sort of way.

Let the receiver set the height, and somehow whatever set the first round’s height gets out of the way after the first shot. Or it never was in the way in the first place. It only has to work for the first shot, as the later shots are linked.

Edit: I guess you could reduce the complexity a lot by making user place that first round in the correct spot. But again, dreamin’ 🛌

I’m not explaining my half-cocked idea very well lol. Pun intended.

So, as I understand it, one problem we have with our bolt actions is the variation in how magazines fit in the magwell in relation to the bolt.

My stupid idea is instead of having manufactures pre-package ammo loosely, it would be cool if you could buy it linked together in different amounts.

I’m not saying it would only come in five round links. I’m saying, say, 223 could come in three round links AND five wrong links AND 10 and 20 and 30 etc. The consumer would have a choice.

So if I have an AR, I buy the 30 round links. I go home and take this science-fiction 30 round magazine and just drop the already-linked together 30 rounds into the magazine. I then load this crazy magazine into my gun and some special mechanism places it into the right spot so the bolt can pick it up. I don’t have to lay the first round in a certain spot.

I’m definitely not suggesting that we load links ourselves. I would hate that more than loading magazines.

Maybe when I load the magazine there’s a special follower that I click the first round into. And since that wouldn’t solve the variation in ammo-height-to-bolt, maybe the spring in these magazines is set purposely too high. Way too high. Something in the gun stops how high the ammo goes and that’s how you control ammo height variation.

I know there will be problems about where the link material goes after the shot etc. etc. I’m just talking out of my ass lol.
Yes, one problem is the magazine to DBM fit, but if I published a list that relates to why the rimfire bolt action has to be systemized, you'd likely be amazed at how long that list would be.

This isn't actually a stupid idea, but the issue we run into is, the ammo business has historically operated on very thin margins. So, let's say one were to get past the aspects of technical feasibility, development, etc., and this whole thing came together as a functional and reliable way to achieve what @obx22 kicked off here, the end result would be the participation of the ammo companies (having been down this road numerous times).

MB

…I guess it couldn’t be a spring pushing up the first round as the bolt would smack into it at the second shot.

But you get the drift. Instead of coming at it with more precisely controlling the mag height, you largely ignore mag height and get the first round in there too high…but in a flexible, tolerant sort of way.

Let the receiver set the height, and somehow whatever set the first round’s height gets out of the way after the first shot. Or it never was in the way in the first place. It only has to work for the first shot, as the later shots are linked.

Edit: I guess you could reduce the complexity a lot by making user place that first round in the correct spot. But again, dreamin’ 🛌
eureka.png

I'll let the pros figure out the details, but I think I've solved it. :D

You know, if you substitute “clip” for “linked rounds”, did I just sorta describe a bottom-loading M1 Garand?? lololol

Something like that, but what's pictured won't work well, as it's fixed and the issue of variation still exists. I designed a spring loaded piston back in 2009 as part of my DBM and I believe the machined feature that accepts the piston is still part of the Vudoo DBM. However, at Vudoo, the feature was a convenient way to hang the DBM for Cerakote.

MB
Firstly, glad to see this thread pop back up.
Still eagerly awaiting more info from you when the time is right.

Ok I have a suggestion that may or may not be useful with this,
I think OBX22 has an idea that is not too far from something that will work well.

My 10c would be to make a magwell that bolts to the receiver with the mag release attached to it that fits neatly through an AICS bottom metal,
Eliminating shimming, adjustable catches & to some degree, Organic component failure/user error.

The magazine would obviously have to be smaller than a standard ACIS in the area that goes into the magwell.
Address the possibility for rimlock while your at it.

Think of it as a possibly CZish inspired AICS bottom metal compatible system that is more user friendly/idiot resistant.

Might have to go downstairs & spend some time on the mill.

Cheers
Drew

Regarding magazines and more consistent loading of the cartridge into the chamber: I’m pretty sure that most designs under the sun of already been attempted. And I’m sure @RAVAGE88 knows about most of them and has invented a bunch of other new ones.

Ok, so as a non-engineer, with the above in mind, here is just a fun idea. It’s not going to solve the above problem.

What if we could get ammo that was linked like machine gun ammo? Let’s say it was in sold in lengths of three, five, ten, whatever. We could just pull out a length and put it in the magazine. Some sort of mechanical magic would feed the round up without us having to manually place the first round in the bolt’s path (like in a belt-fed machine gun).

Maybe I’m just getting tired of loading magazines lol. A man can dream can’t he?

Edit: positive my idea will not work. Someone’s gonna point that out anyway. Think of it as expressing the desire, not solving the problem.
I was reading through this thread, started thinking about belt fed rimfire… and then saw this comment. Weird. I guess maybe just because there aren’t that many variations to getting cartridges into chambers… belts, mags, single feed, clips and/or internal mags, rotary feed/drums…

Reactions: carbonbased