• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where exactly on the shoulder should the buttstock go?

targetterror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
Boston, MA
I've been shooting for years, but have been reassessing my fundamentals after starting the online training. I know the rifle is supposed to go into the "pocket" of the shoulder, but am having trouble pinpointing exactly what that means. I am very thin and lean, which puts me very low down in the prone position. The buttstock wants to fit into the pocket where my collarbone meets my shoulder. However, it is literally resting right on the bones at that juncture. Will all of the emphasis on recoil management and driving the rifle in the videos, I can't imagine it is that great to have the rifle recoiling off of bone. I have a number of rifles, but all of heavy duty recoil pads - decelerator or limbsavers. My Remington 700 SPS tactical has a B&C A4 style stock, with the standard decelerator pad on it.

Am I putting the buttpad in the right place? I end up with the middle of the pad in the bone juncture described above. In some videos, it looks like the rifle is hooked down below this juncture where it is more meaty. For me, that puts the very top of the buttpad just under the bone juncture, but it feels very odd - low down on my shoulder and awkward. I recognize that could just be me not used to the position (old habits can die hard!).