• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 6.5PRC build?

Edgedriver77

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020
Ft. Smith AR
I am looking at getting a 6.5PRC rifle for just target shooting (unless Antifa raids my neighborhood in the near future). Probaly 1000yds max distance. I have been looking at either a Christensen BA Tactical or Proof Research MTR. However, I am not opposed to building one either, max $3K budget for just the gun. I like the idea of the above guns so I don't have to build one but I want something that shoots lights out and consistent. So, if building one is a better option, let me know! Open to chasis guns too (considerd the Christensen MPR to vs the BA Tactical). Optics will be either the Vortex Razor AMG or NF ATACR 5x25-56 (unless better options for $3K or less). It seems the CA rifles are hit or miss, and did not find much on the PR MTR series.

Bighorn/Zermatt Origin Action - $825
Origin Prefit Barrel- $700 or less
Manners Stock w/Mini Chassis - $1100
Trigger Tech Special - $200
Brake of your choice - $200 or less

Total - ~$3000

Total - ~$3000
This is the line by line the setup I’m ordering over the weekend

Total - ~$3000

Still have to pay a Smith to put it all together, headspace it, time the trigger, etc.

Or, go with a cheaper stock and just buy go/no go gauges and put it together at home.

Both options are pretty solid tho.

Still have to pay a Smith to put it all together, headspace it, time the trigger, etc.

Or, go with a cheaper stock and just buy go/no go gauges and put it together at home.

Both options are pretty solid tho.
Why would you need to buy a cheaper stock to put it together at home? Unless I’m just reading it wrong.
I plan to buy the barrel vise, go/no go gauges and the action wrench and putting it together myself.

Why would you need to buy a cheaper stock to put it together at home? Unless I’m just reading it wrong.
I plan to buy the barrel vise, go/no go gauges and the action wrench and putting it together myself.

Cheaper stock means less money for the stock. If the budget is really strict, which OP will be the only one to decide that, then the vise, guages, wrench, etc are adding up to the cost.

And by the way, when I said cheaper stock, I meant a cheaper stock or a less expensive chassis. Which, again, OP will decide what suits him best.

Cheaper stock means less money for the stock. If the budget is really strict, which OP will be the only one to decide that, then the vise, guages, wrench, etc are adding up to the cost.

And by the way, when I said cheaper stock, I meant a cheaper stock or a less expensive chassis. Which, again, OP will decide what suits him best.
Makes sense, I read it wrong!

Reactions: stello1001
Makes sense, I read it wrong!
I’m actually having a similar debate with myself, either go with the krg bravo and the proof cf prefit or the manners mini chassis and the stainless proof.

Last edited:
I am looking at getting a 6.5PRC rifle for just target shooting (unless Antifa raids my neighborhood in the near future). Probaly 1000yds max distance. I have been looking at either a Christensen BA Tactical or Proof Research MTR. However, I am not opposed to building one either, max $3K budget for just the gun. I like the idea of the above guns so I don't have to build one but I want something that shoots lights out and consistent. So, if building one is a better option, let me know! Open to chasis guns too (considerd the Christensen MPR to vs the BA Tactical). Optics will be either the Vortex Razor AMG or NF ATACR 5x25-56 (unless better options for $3K or less). It seems the CA rifles are hit or miss, and did not find much on the PR MTR series.
I built mine for about 1300 it is savage 12 action mcrees. Chassis off e bay Schilen Ssm barrel it is tack driver apa fat bas.... lol I can’t spell

I built mine for about 1300 it is savage 12 action mcrees. Chassis off e bay Schilen Ssm barrel it is tack driver apa fat bas.... lol I can’t spell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: TheChief
View attachment 7427077View attachment 7427080
I gave up on an ax short action mag bolt. Badger 2013, with standard and mag bolts, 6.5prc and 6.5creed barrels, ax chassis, and bix 2 stage pro trigger.
That is a nice peace just outside my price range I have to stay on a little lighter budget but I have lots of lower budget guns that shoot 1/2 moa or better that is what I’m after see how cheep I can build a 1/2 moa or better gun

I bought the 2013 with 2 6.5 creed barrels and chassis for 2750. I bought a mag bolt from badger for 475 and had a bart hvy palma spun up in prc with a no turn nk and .155 freebore. Not counting glass or mount, im at 3750ish

definitely not cheap, but not as bad as it looks, lol. I swapped brakes and shot these 2 groups when I rezeroed. It was pouring during the tripod group and hog saddle wasn't near as solid as arca. 4 shots are in 3/4"
20200730_095901.jpg
20200730_093200.jpg

I had a shilen savage prefit on a deadline action, in 6.5prc, it was stupid accurate. I think I had 400 in that barrel from northland shooter supply.

Bighorn Origin Action - $825
Proof Research Steel Prefit 6.5 PRC barrel - $479
TriggerTech Diamond - $279
AREA 419 Hellfire brake - $160
MPA BA Comp Chassis - $999
Harris BRM 6"-9" bipod - $110

$2,852.00

definitely not cheap, but not as bad as it looks, lol. I swapped brakes and shot these 2 groups when I rezeroed. It was pouring during the tripod group and hog saddle wasn't near as solid as arca. 4 shots are in 3/4"View attachment 7427099View attachment 7427100
this is what mine done last time I shot it my creedmoor shooting about the same it is Thompson center long range rifle I had shilling rebarrel for me the factory barrel never got better than 3/4 moa

Attachments

• 8EB3AFEF-5285-47D6-AD25-034820F449F0.jpeg
    8EB3AFEF-5285-47D6-AD25-034820F449F0.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 36
I am in the middle of a TL3 build and will have right at 2500 in it. You can definitely do it this way and have exactly the components you want. For a factory check out a bergara.
One of my shooting buddies bought a CA MPR and couldn’t get it to shoot less than 2 moa. It went back to the factory and still didn’t shoot to his expectations, so he sold it for a loss and now has the Bergara.

You could always buy a Seekins Havak Bravo in 6.5PRC. Those can be found for $1800 or so, which will leave you a lot of cash to play with. I've got one in 6.5 Creedmoor and its a fantastic rifle. Something to consider, and it would save you buying the tools and such to assemble a rifle, you could buy reloading equipment with the rest or, extra on glass. Lots of options.