• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AR to buy?

Seekins Precision gets my vote.
1636652177200.png

Some home build Seskins Precision upper and lower and hand guard with Proof Research and Noveske barrel
AD5A09D2-DEBE-4F1A-82AB-BFB704037ED1.jpeg

Reactions: FB67
You know in the old days if you spent 2k on an AR, people would say,, buy a 1k and spend the rest on ammo.

But with ammo prices these days, that gets you about 3 rounds. But damn the's ARs are gettin costly.

I’m in the market for a new 556 AR. With that being said I’d like to buy instead of build. I’ve looked into the Sons of Liberty, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, FN, Battle Arms Development, Christensen Arms, DRD, and POF. I’ve got my ffl so I’ll be saving a fair amount on the gun itself. Can anyone recommend any other brands that I’ve possibly overlooked? I want to buy a quality rifle and be done.
what roll do you want the ar to fit into?

You know in the old days if you spent 2k on an AR, people would say,, buy a 1k and spend the rest on ammo.

But with ammo prices these days, that gets you about 3 rounds. But damn the's ARs are gettin costly.
prices seem to be coming back down and supply is opening. give it another 6mos

So mainly I want one for home defense but I’d like to have a quality, accurate and reliable option incase I ever want to get into comp shooting with it. That was why I was checking out the ddm4v7. Weight isn’t an issue as I have a 20lb long range comp rifle that I use for hunting also.
I would go with LMT, KAC even the new Geissele is nice at the right price. DD makes a solid product but are over priced and their CS has become challenging to work with.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I'd say just buy an older colt socom (not last 2yrs production) and be done. You get reliable, accurate, proven winner and you are not overpaying for some of the rifles listed here. Remember diminishing returns and then use the extra coin on optic and ammo. There I said it :)

In no particular order

Piston: Barrett, LMT, LWRCi, PWS, Sig
Di: Geissele, LMT, LWRCi, Barrett, KAC, Noveske, LaRue

Buy an ambidextrous carbine, or plan to make it ambi before shooting it.

Last edited:
Colt LE6920 LE6940 and Defense Model , I have own total like 4 in years , I like Shooting it's good and nice AR15 ,before cost me $900 $1000 or new $1100-$1200+ , when I sell or trade people like it very much to do it , but at this time if you like to find one get one in very good condition or like new ? I think is cost maybe maybe $1400+ to $1600 asking price ( I didn't do any research this moment ~~for price ) , maybe the Price will go down ~~~

d6f16ab8-0268-4dd6-a788-4d81e27a8b0b-jpeg.7738417

this brand new good looking good or High quality AR ??? $1600+ to $1800+ ??? price too Hight ??? over Price ???
( I just use this one for comparison)

Some Colt AR15 I have before ( now is all gone ) :LOL::ROFLMAO::sick:

39AD9A9E-B79F-4A69-9515-4E2DC9AFA3D9.jpeg

0624A633-4A6F-4400-BA79-7533103C6AAF.jpeg

34AD617C-E8EC-46BD-A8E0-8BA230D36E57.jpeg

Colt AR15 I have is 2-+ years a go I think I only paid $750-$800 with some ammo and mags and carry bag ( the Botton ) No scope

1E1DF350-E115-42A7-92A0-8AE9B1FCEEE9_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandhog308
If you've got time to wait and want to venture into the custom world, Compass Lake Engineering and others do great work and will do almost anything you want down to sizing the gas port and turning the barrel profile down. They use great blanks, you just have to choose if you want CL or SS. I chose CL
Do you mean chromoly(CM)? I've never seen chrome lined barrels listed on their site.

I'd say just buy an older colt socom (not last 2yrs production) and be done. You get reliable, accurate, proven winner and you are not overpaying for some of the rifles listed here. Remember diminishing returns and then use the extra coin on optic and ammo. There I said it :)
Shit, people are asking 1800+ plus for those socoms

Shit, people are asking 1800+ plus for those socoms
just got a notice on grab a gun for 1300 but yes, they carry the premium due to roll mark but their accuracy and reliability are very good

Reliable, good accuracy DD BCM Colt
Laser beam JP
Or build Frankenstein for your taste and need. But no hold value in it, don’t matter what components you used.

Why no love for JP

JP was the first reply and a couple others said it as well but I don't particularly like their receiver set and handguards.

I have 2 complete bcgs and a couple bolts from them. They make high quality stuff I'd just rather have other receiver sets or complete rifles.

Tried to buy a LWRC REPR today , no eta and they aren't taking any orders. Told to keep checking their weekly news letter about new arrivals.

Reactions: pewpew300WM
So mainly I want one for home defense but I’d like to have a quality, accurate and reliable option incase I ever want to get into comp shooting with it. That was why I was checking out the ddm4v7. Weight isn’t an issue as I have a 20lb long range comp rifle that I use for hunting also.
For home defense you want a short rifle (no more then 16") or even a pistol (11.5" or longer) and even a PSA would serve well for that purpose.

Which doesn't lend itself to competition use, unless you are talking about run and gun stuff.

If you have to use the rifle for defense would you want a $2000+ rifle sitting in a police evidence locker for months?

Last edited:
I’d just buy the coyote GAP10 in the PX for $3800 and be done with it. Baller AF. Fuck .223. Send a gd message

I'd have to say a S&W M&P15 Sport II optics ready. I bought one last year to use as a range toy to keep from running up the round count on the DDM4 V7 Pro. The M&P is very accurate and 100% reliable. The factory trigger is actually pretty good, I won't change it. Fit and finish is impressive.
I sourced one with optic for may daughter and son-in-law last year and I have to agree with you.

In today‘s market a complete new AR from the upper tier companies is hard to find and will be pricey
I have gone to building my own but that has a learning curve.
I’ve been at it for two years acquiring parts, 4 builds so far.
All work.
Have HK Mr556 and SIG MCX along with a KAC SR25 and Colt HBAR purchased new as complete.
LMT, DD, Colt, Geissele, Uppers/Lowers/Parts work great.
The genius of the Stoner design allowing Mil spec parts frm anywhere to function is quite an engineering feat in my opinion.
So if you have money and can find a top tier go ahead.
If you don’t want to wait and/or spend the money, grab a S&W or PSA for now and decide what you like and don’t like until you find a top tier rifle.
They will all go bang!!!!

For home defense...

PSA 11.5" pistol kit
Anderson lower
Sig Romeo5XDR circle-dot sight
Sig Juliet 3 micro magnifier
Crimson Trace light
Arms Unlimited sling, ambi-safety and ambi-mag release
Ergo and Magpul rail covers and handstop

Roughly $1.1K as it sits.

bsoxqJa.jpg

Or you could get this 11.5" pistol from PSA for $499.99

QTk9Hr3.jpg

And you won't cry yourself to sleep if either ends up in an evidence locker.

Last edited:
I’m in the market for a new 556 AR. With that being said I’d like to buy instead of build. I’ve looked into the Sons of Liberty, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, FN, Battle Arms Development, Christensen Arms, DRD, and POF. I’ve got my ffl so I’ll be saving a fair amount on the gun itself. Can anyone recommend any other brands that I’ve possibly overlooked? I want to buy a quality rifle and be done.
Yes.

2 things:

Buy More Ammo
Buy More AR's.

For a solid 1 and done: DD, Bravo, FN, Colt (my inner Fudd), KAC, LMT, LWRC. They all work.

I'd have to say a S&W M&P15 Sport II optics ready. I bought one last year to use as a range toy to keep from running up the round count on the DDM4 V7 Pro. The M&P is very accurate and 100% reliable. The factory trigger is actually pretty good, I won't change it. Fit and finish is impressive.
The rittenhouse special!

I own a JP, LMT, BMC and DD. They are all great options but I'd lean towards the LMT then the JP.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
For home defense you want a short rifle (no more then 16") or even a pistol (11.5" or longer) and even a PSA would serve well for that purpose.

Which doesn't lend itself to competition use, unless you are talking about run and gun stuff.

If you have to use the rifle for defense would you want a $2000+ rifle sitting in a police evidence locker for months?

If you ever use the rifle for defense a 2k loss will be a rounding error with our fucked up ju$tice $y$tem

Of the brands that you mentioned, i think that its hard to go wrong with Sons of Liberty, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, or FN, the others are not bad but a little niche.

My only suggestion would be to go with at least a mid length gas system. They tend to shoot pretty smoothly.

Reactions: long range sponge
you live beind enemy lines too huh lol

sad reality from New Jermany here

Uh, no, but I’m apprised of events and the way our republic is heading.

Even if you don’t end up getting dragged through the entire system, after said event the rifle will be the last thing on your mind, be it a trash can POS or a 3 gun masterpiece

Reactions: Evolution 9
Despite the PSA hate from people looking to justify the $$$$$ they spent on an AR, the fact is they are perfectly serviceable tools.

Can't defend your home with a rifle that doesn't have a dimpled bolt catch and mag release. Come on man!

Reactions: Steve_In_29
Unfortunately, that's what we all do: we use the guns we like the best and shoot the best as primary defense weapons. I have one exception I carry in the vehicle, but everything else I have near the bed and within arms reach around the house are my priciest pistols/ARs.

Palmetto
State
Armory

I’ll see myself out 😎
I truly love the PSA hate makes me laugh. My PSA is now with a buddy who is going to close in on 15k rounds in the next couple of years. Entire rifle was under 500 with FFL fees....nary an issue almost all steel cased Russian crap. His family is almost trying to break it at this point just to see if it will.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
I truly love the PSA hate makes me laugh. My PSA is now with a buddy who is going to close in on 15k rounds in the next couple of years. Entire rifle was under 500 with FFL fees....nary an issue almost all steel cased Russian crap. His family is almost trying to break it at this point just to see if it will.
They have earned that hate in some regards.

I think people will spend more money on what is considered "top of the line" in order to avoid getting a lemon. By my experience, that doesn't always work.
The best and tightest shooting 5.56 gun I have is a .223 Wylde AR that was built by a small manufacturer for a local gun shop. The serial number is two digits and cost me about $1100 out the door.

Despite the PSA hate from people looking to justify the $$$$$ they spent on an AR, the fact is they are perfectly serviceable tools.
I don't think it's 'cheap hate to justify money' it's just that psa has earned their bad rep. But like all things, if its in spec and assembled properly it should go bang. ARs are not rocket science

I own top and bottom and my first, second, and third requirement is that they run when driven hard, accuracy and looks are a distant fouth and fith. I've had issues with some top brands, QC is not perfect for anyone.

That said, the best line in this thread is from Trout, 'not rich enough to buy cheap tools' Man that is a good line and on point

I think people will spend more money on what is considered "top of the line" in order to avoid getting a lemon. By my experience, that doesn't always work.
The best and tightest shooting 5.56 gun I have is a .223 Wylde AR that was built by a small manufacturer for a local gun shop. The serial number is two digits and cost me about $1100 out the door.
I hear you on that. Experienced that with an AR sitting in my closet right now which was ~ 4x the cost of my mutt PSA. Was flawless for maybe 7k rounds then it became a comedy of horrors that took multiple trips to resolve each with new issues. Sometimes we get unlucky....and lucky. Alas I spend no time on a gasser now so it's all in the rear view dad breaks this one out to shoot suppressed subs a few times a year and it runs now so all is well.

I’ve had good luck with my PSA. They’ve got better over the years

For me personally when it come to seeing cheap guns run that the owners pay literally no attention to in regards to maintaining the award goes to the SW M&P Sport II. An off the shelf $700-$800 current price AR that just about any dealer has

For me I don’t care what the rifle says on the side of it. They all fail at some point for some reason if not properly maintained or running crap ammo. Even KAC, DD, colt etc.

Regardless of what a person buys they should run a decent amount of rounds through it to check the reliability themselves. My preference goes to Fiocchi ammo in my AR’s

The main components for reliability are BCG/Barrel/Gas block and tube. Coupled with a proper buffer and the rest is basically preferences

Unfortunately, that's what we all do: we use the guns we like the best and shoot the best as primary defense weapons. I have one exception I carry in the vehicle, but everything else I have near the bed and within arms reach around the house are my priciest pistols/ARs.
My bedside gun is a 30+ year old Ruger GP100 (that has been there since new) and behind the door sits a Winchester 1300.