• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Heavy Duty Truck?

I tell you what, bobtail out here. I’ll put you up, fine food and bourbon. Then I’ll follow you back with you pulling my travel trailer, not quite 25k and track you fuel. If you make 16mpg, I’ll pay up and haul it back with my tail between my legs

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
That’s a good variety, reminds me of working on garbage trucks. We had all of those. Volvo honestly was my favorite truck but the biggest pain in the ass to work on.
My knees are alway hitting the dash on the Volvo’s. And now, a lot of the parts arent made anymore for the steering stuff.

American, WI isn’t America?! It’s a gods honest challenge. Make it $5,000
We all have our definitions , is CA on the up and up ? CO? OR? I honestly don't have time to take you up on the challenge , job and stuff. I'll be busy providing for my family and not playing games in the interest of potentially taking your money. Keep your money and declare me the loser .

@Luke @Mooseknuckles is one of the guys around here that knows what he’s talking about on this subject. I respect his opinion. I have dealt with every truck that’s been talked about on this thread. I drive a Ford for a very specific reason. Leg room. There are years of every maker that you should avoid. No matter what truck you pick, there are common problems.

We all have our definitions , is CA on the up and up ? CO? OR? I honestly don't have time to take you up on the challenge , job and stuff. I'll be busy providing for my family and not playing games in the interest of potentially taking your money. Keep your money and declare me the loser .
ID to WI and Back. 3 days, one day of sick leave at a normal job. Potential to make $5k. I think your wife will understand.
440E0C65-9DA4-443F-BD49-5AAE37F30535.jpeg

Last edited:
So I have had a 06 dodge Cummins, 07.5 Chevy duramax, Ford 6.0, and now my work truck is a 18 ford 550 v10.
The Dodge, engine was rock solid, tranny sucked, front end fell apart and the heater and seat fell apart too, mileage was 18-20 on freeway and 10-12 towing.

The Chevy, it was a problem free truck, hydro boost failed at 2500 miles, dealer replaced it. Ran the truck with the emissions until warranty was up then deleted it. Before delete 16-18 on freeway 8-10 towing, deleted 18-20 on freeway and 10-12 towing.

The Ford 6.0, this was my old service truck, weighed between 18-20k all the time. It go 11mpg. Had all the typical 6.0 problems, injectors, turbo, erg cooler and valve, IPR failed.

My Ford f550 that I have now sits at 15-17k all the time, get 8.5mpg, no problems yet, only 13k on the truck.

I work on everything from Cat, John Deere, internationals, freightliners, ford 250-350, Cummins, Detroit, Volvo and so on. Seen it all, every engine has problems. Seen manuals trans fail seen big Allison’s fail.
In my mind they are all junk that makes me money.
But if I had to pick a new hd truck, it would be a 14-16 Ram deleted.

ID to WI and Back. 3 days, one day of sick leave at a normal job. Potential to make $5k. I think your wife will understand.View attachment 7265439
I don't care about my wife's opinion, or yours. I'm going to work on schedule and don't give a fuck about your money.

If more people in this country cared about making ends meet than challenging some Beavis on the web we'd all be better off.

I don't care about my wife's opinion, or yours. I'm going to work on schedule and don't give a fuck about your money.

If more people in this country cared about making ends meet than challenging some Beavis on the web we'd all be better off.
You don’t care about your wife’s opinion? Ok. Now you’re a moron.

Seriously, I don't have time for it. I respect your opinion and would love to play but I can't. You're the winner in this hand and I simply can't step up and take a swing.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
Are you telling me that the job you HAVE to go to, to provide for your family pays you more than 5k every 3 days? I mean fuck if you are not full of shit and have the chance to make 5K+ expenses why not do it.

If I handed you 1000 lotto tickets and said there is a 5k winner in the stack you would look at me and say "I ain't got time" . WTF ever, you would pull out a nickle and scratching the fucking shit out of every ticket.

16mpg, towing 25K. That is just insane. average person has no fucking clue how much 25,000lbs even is.

Are you telling me that the job you HAVE to go to, to provide for your family pays you more than 5k every 3 days? I mean fuck if you are not full of shit and have the chance to make 5K+ expenses why not do it.

If I handed you 1000 lotto tickets and said there is a 5k winner in the stack you would look at me and say "I ain't got time" . WTF ever, you would pull out a nickle and scratching the fucking shit out of every ticket.

16mpg, towing 25K. That is just insane. average person has no fucking clue how much 25,000lbs even is.

My job pays .9K$ per day . Fuck your lottery tickets and videos. If you're so fucking smart why don't you take up Geno's offer ?

Seriously, I don't have time for it. I respect your opinion and would love to play but I can't. You're the winner in this hand and I simply can't step up and take a swing.

you stand to win 5k...
you have family issues...
you pay me 1k to smokey and the bandit your ride to genos, where i hope he feeds me good food and whiskey
youre ahead bro...4k
just looking out for you

My job pays .9K$ per day . Fuck your lottery tickets and videos. If you're so fucking smart why don't you take up Geno's offer ?
Uhmm because I understand the laws of physics and thermal dynamics, and that 16mpg towing 25,000lbs would break everyone of those laws, and some that have not been written yet.
I would love to attend his spring party though. I could put a hurt'in on his bourbon stash.

Lol, Xterra since new gets 15 mpg. Basically, a Frontier with a walk in upside down tub on it.

So I watched the video. Those numbers are very realistic. They mentioned a little wind for the dodge testing and really tried to down play it. If there is enough wind to mention, it definitely affected the mileage, and especially on a load like that. But, 66 miles is hardly a good sample and the def usage numbers they got are really meaningless at such small volumes. They did mention the air suspension on the dodge. That is one thing that both ford and gm for some reason just haven’t done, and that’s sad because it just makes sense.

Reactions: goinghunting
Just a little tangent to allow someone to put some salve on his anus.

I have put a half quart of cheap automatic transmission fluid in the tank at every fill up for the last 150k miles. I get about an additional mile to a mile and a half in fuel mileage than when I don't add it.
First. Is there anything to this? It was recommended to me by a mechanic at a large truck shop.
Second. For the new trucks with the DEF has any one tried this?

If you're so fucking smart why don't you take up Geno's offer ?

Probably because he's smart enough not to make outrageous claims that he knows can't be backed up.

I have a '04 E350 van with a 6.0 (stock hardware, aftermarket tune) and a '08 F250 with a 6.4 (fully deleted). Both of them would struggle to get 16 MPG real-world no-shit day-in-day-out mileage, and that's without towing anything.

Maybe you should be a consultant, and tell that to every single company operating pre WWII power generation equipment. Anything that isn't alive can be maintained almost indefinitely.
It isn’t impossible but most of the time at a cost that is well beyond reasonable. Power generation equipment and a vehicle are not a fair comparison. Using your never buy a new truck logic everyone would still be driving Model Ts (not a fair comparison either but you went there.)

There is a reason why you don’t see early model vehicles on the road often at all. This almost wasn’t worth responding to.

Oh yeah, your truck gets 6-8 mpg towing 25k in the mountains depending if you are going uphill or downhill. You are full of :poop:

Last edited:
Just a little tangent to allow someone to put some salve on his anus.

I have put a half quart of cheap automatic transmission fluid in the tank at every fill up for the last 150k miles. I get about an additional mile to a mile and a half in fuel mileage than when I don't add it.
First. Is there anything to this? It was recommended to me by a mechanic at a large truck shop.
Second. For the new trucks with the DEF has any one tried this?
Please don’t do this with the newer diesels! Atf is too thick, even diluted with fuel for the new diesel high pressure common rails. The injection pressure is between 25-35 thousand psi.
I use to do it with my old 7.3 and 6.9 idi engines. Worked great and quited the injection down. The reason some people recommend doing it is because of the ultra low sulfur diesel doesn’t play nice with the older diesels.

C'mon kids....quit your bickering or I'm sending you all to time out...:p

They did mention the air suspension on the dodge. That is one thing that both ford and gm for some reason just haven’t done, and that’s sad because it just makes sense.

I've done some work on air suspension for a variety of applications (everything from tuner cars to Class 8 trucks). Ultimately, the biggest problem is that it is very difficult to keep air in the system and water out of it (the latter being particularly difficult during summer months, and really important during the winter). Solutions to this problem are expensive and/or maintenance-intensive.

The performance benefits are numerous, and it really is a good solution to the problem of how to properly maintain ride frequency on an axle that might carry 3000 lbs empty and 9500 lbs fully-loaded. It's just not the sort of thing that is likely to be hassle-free for the typical 15 years/250,000 miles target life, and I expect all sorts of interesting bitching in another 8-10 years when these trucks are on their third owner and no one has bothered to do anything but oil changes since warranty expired.

Ford doesn't take a risk like this because it leads the market. GM don't take risks like this on general principle. FCA (Ram) has to take risks like this because their survival depends upon it.

The problem I seen with the air suspension is auto manufacturers don’t think like truck manufacturers.
More then likely dodge didn’t put an air dryer with filter to keep the moisture out of the system. If you did an add on it would help extend the life and keep the air dry.
The other problems will be load level sensors and trailing arm bushing. They will fail. See it all the time. The bags them self are pretty tough, well until you get a rock in there that rubs a hole in the bag.

2006 Chevy HD2500 6.6 LBZ
154,000 miles
Tuner, full exhaust, full delete, mod intake
13.5-15.0 MPG in town
19.0-21.0 on the road @75MPH
11.0-11.5 MPG towing 15.5 K fifth wheel toy hauler
They will probably bury me in it when I croak.

Reactions: wh20crazy
2006 Chevy HD2500 6.6 LBZ
154,000 miles
Tuner, full exhaust, full delete, mod intake
13.5-15.0 MPG in town
19.0-21.0 on the road @75MPH
11.0-11.5 MPG towing 15.5 K fifth wheel toy hauler
They will probably bury me in it when I croak.
2x4 or 4x4? lifted? what size tires?

The reason I ask is I don't really believe those numbers either. But might not be totally impossible.
I get about 13-14 empty at 75mph, 2002 7.3 PSD F350, 6 speed manual trans.

So lets work the numbers out. A stock 2 wheel drive F350 7.3 can on a good day get about 22mpg at 65mph (roughly 1800rpm). Now add 4x4 and you loose 3 MPG, add a lift and you loose about 1/2 mpg per inch up (this is the reason new trucks have such big lower air dams), next tires cost about 1/2 mpg in each size up. Then speed. It isn't really about MPH as it is RPM but they correlate together well. For every 5mph over 65 you will loose 2 mpg.

So my truck is 4x4, lifted 6 inches (in the front, 4 in the back), running 35x12 tires (315/75R16) so right there I am down 6 MPG from the base line of 22 on a 2 wheel drive stock truck. so that is 16, now minus 4 for speeding up to 75 mph and I am in the 12-13 range (which is right about where I am at).

getting 19-21 at 75 empty would mean that at 65 you would be approching 25mpg and that in a 4x4 lifted truck is just impossible. 2wheel drive stock truck and it would still be A-fucking-mazing.

PS: I see you have mods, so for this post stock = stock ride height, stock tire size.

2x4 or 4x4? lifted? what size tires?

The reason I ask is I don't really believe those numbers either. But might not be totally impossible.
I get about 13-14 empty at 75mph, 2002 7.3 PSD F350, 6 speed manual trans.

So lets work the numbers out. A stock 2 wheel drive F350 7.3 can on a good day get about 22mpg at 65mph (roughly 1800rpm). Now add 4x4 and you loose 3 MPG, add a lift and you loose about 1/2 mpg per inch up (this is the reason new trucks have such big lower air dams), next tires cost about 1/2 mpg in each size up. Then speed. It isn't really about MPH as it is RPM but they correlate together well. For every 5mph over 65 you will loose 2 mpg.

So my truck is 4x4, lifted 6 inches (in the front, 4 in the back), running 35x12 tires (315/75R16) so right there I am down 6 MPG from the base line of 22 on a 2 wheel drive stock truck. so that is 16, now minus 4 for speeding up to 75 mph and I am in the 12-13 range (which is right about where I am at).

getting 19-21 at 75 empty would mean that at 65 you would be approching 25mpg and that in a 4x4 lifted truck is just impossible. 2wheel drive stock truck and it would still be A-fucking-mazing.

PS: I see you have mods, so for this post stock = stock ride height, stock tire size.

Truck is not lifted, it is a 4X4 crew cab, speedo has been calibrated for the tires I'm running Terra Graplers 285/70-17. F350 probably has steeper gearing than I have, my stock is 3.73. Tuner for every day driving is set @ +60 HP. I've always heard Fords are tough to "tweak" mileage out of them? If Your F350 is a Dually, then that in its self will effect your mileage. Fords, Chevy and Ram are all three different trucks, hard to get them to perform the same. Just three different kinds of horses? I'm going off of the computer on the truck, couold be off, really don't care, works and runs ten times better than stock.

Truck is not lifted, it is a 4X4 crew cab, speedo has been calibrated for the tires I'm running Terra Graplers 285/70-17. F350 probably has steeper gearing than I have, my stock is 3.73. Tuner for every day driving is set @ +60 HP. I've always heard Fords are tough to "tweak" mileage out of them? If Your F350 is a Dually, then that in its self will effect your mileage. Fords, Chevy and Ram are all three different trucks, hard to get them to perform the same. Just three different kinds of horses? I'm going off of the computer on the truck, couold be off, really don't care, works and runs ten times better than stock.
My truck is not a dually, also 3.73 rear end is the stock rear end. The Fords are not magical nor are the chevys, they are all internal combustion diesel engines.

So you are going off your computer in the truck, some tuners had been known to modify the programing for that so give higher than actual MPG so you think you are getting something you are not. The MPG computer gets all its info from the engine computer.

So basicly you posted bullshit info that you can not back up. My numbers are real world actual numbers that can be backed up anytime.

I am glad you love your truck, I too love mine. I don't care about MPG at all and never talk about until someone talks impossible numbers.

Reactions: 1J04 and Geno C.
The problem I seen with the air suspension is auto manufacturers don’t think like truck manufacturers.
More then likely dodge didn’t put an air dryer with filter to keep the moisture out of the system. If you did an add on it would help extend the life and keep the air dry.

The automotive systems I've worked on have filters and dryers. They are not as sophisticated as what you have seen on heavy trucks, due to concerns about cost, packaging volume, and maintenance.

The other problems will be load level sensors and trailing arm bushing. They will fail. See it all the time. The bags them self are pretty tough, well until you get a rock in there that rubs a hole in the bag.

Yep - height sensors and their linkages tend to be a bit delicate, and sticking electrical parts low on the chassis often causes issues (raise your hand if you've ever fought with ABS wheel speed sensor problems).

The biggest issues I've seen with springs tends to be related to heat. With modern after-treatment systems, there aren't many cool locations left under the vehicle.

12V electrical compressors are also an issue - ones that are quiet and reliable are extremely expensive.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
My truck is not a dually, also 3.73 rear end is the stock rear end. The Fords are not magical nor are the chevys, they are all internal combustion diesel engines.

So you are going off your computer in the truck, some tuners had been known to modify the programing for that so give higher than actual MPG so you think you are getting something you are not. The MPG computer gets all its info from the engine computer.

So basicly you posted bullshit info that you can not back up. My numbers are real world actual numbers that can be backed up anytime.

I am glad you love your truck, I too love mine. I don't care about MPG at all and never talk about until someone talks impossible numbers.
Didn't know you were an expert on bullshit! Thanks for sharing, if i need an expert opinion on bullshit, I'll come to you first.

Didn't know you were an expert on bullshit! Thanks for sharing, if i need an expert opinion on bullshit, I'll come to you first.
Please point out the part you think is bullshit.

You are the one that posted MPG numbers that you can NOT verify.

Pretty sure that is the definition of bullshit.

Are you some how saying my truck gets better MPG than I am posting? I think you might be fucking nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04
So basicly you posted bullshit info that you can not back up.

So your expert opinion is now I'm fucking nuts?
Gee do me a favor and just shut the fuck up! I chimed into a thread and now you are the fucking truck police. This is my last post on this as I can see there is no reasoning with you. Signed, fucking nuts.

My buddy just bought a 3/4 ton gasser Ford. I only mention it because he had to get the "Worker truck" trim to get no carpets, and a middle seat n the front. Cost him a heck of a lot less, too.
I'm happy with my Dodge 3500 dually, which I only have to pull a heavy 5th wheel toy hauler.
I would rather have had a single tire rear axle, but just don't want to trust all that weight to only two tires back there.
As mentioned above, I am getting tired of two to three recalls per year. My rear camera sensor is going out, s
o that has to be fixed, and there is a recal on something they supposedly fixed, and want to fix again...when they get parts.

Reactions: Geno C.
I've had multiple F350 diesels over the years. Duallys/singles, all 4WD. Long-term mileage (calculated the right way) has always been been in the 15-16 range. Also just got rid of a 2015 Ram 3500 dually 4WD and it was 15.5mpg over all. I don't do a lot of towing but occasionally. Best diesel mpg I've ever gotten were 4wd Ford Excursions. Long-term was 17-18 but could get 20-21 on a long trip lightly loaded at 60-65mph. Less than 1k on new 6.7 but so far it's not looking too good either.

So basicly you posted bullshit info that you can not back up.

So your expert opinion is now I'm fucking nuts?
Gee do me a favor and just shut the fuck up! I chimed into a thread and now you are the fucking truck police. This is my last post on this as I can see there is no reasoning with you. Signed, fucking nuts.
You will back, you wont be able resist.

Let's start this over and go over some facts.

First I can back up everything I said. If the "posting info I can't backup" is in regards to the "you are fucking nuts" comment go back and reread it. I stated "I think you might be..." "I think" and "might" imply that is my opinion and may not be fact. Which you actually state in your response " so it is your expert opinion that I am fucking nuts"

Because it is my opinion and can not be factually verified (yet) I dont have to back that part up.

Now back to trucks.

You posted MPG numbers that are very impressive.

I asked about them, knowing that they are exceptional. I questioned the vehicle in question to get a better idea of the legitimacy of those numbers.

You come back in all essence with this " I dont know what I actually get, I believe what the truck tells me. Maybe your Ford is the problem"

I then question your reasoning skills and you get all butt hurt.

So the question is, what is your real MPG.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1J04
My buddy just bought a 3/4 ton gasser Ford. I only mention it because he had to get the "Worker truck" trim to get no carpets, and a middle seat n the front. Cost him a heck of a lot less, too.
I'm happy with my Dodge 3500 dually, which I only have to pull a heavy 5th wheel toy hauler.
I would rather have had a single tire rear axle, but just don't want to trust all that weight to only two tires back there.
As mentioned above, I am getting tired of two to three recalls per year. My rear camera sensor is going out, s
o that has to be fixed, and there is a recal on something they supposedly fixed, and want to fix again...when they get parts.
Last year at least, you could add carpet to
The higher trim levels, it just cost a few hundred dollars extra. Makes sense doesn’t it ?

My '01 F-250 crew cab 7.3 power stroke diesel gets right at 16 mpg + or - daily driving. On the interstate it will get almost 19 if I keep it at 70 mph. But that's a rare thing I usually have the cruise set between 80 and 85 and the mileage is right back to the 16. I don't think I ever checked the mileage while towing my camper I just didn't care. Usually the kids needed to stop again so it's just fill it while they crash the bathroom and buy more snacks.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
My '01 F-250 crew cab 7.3 power stroke diesel gets right at 16 mpg + or - daily driving. On the interstate it will get almost 19 if I keep it at 70 mph. But that's a rare thing I usually have the cruise set between 80 and 85 and the mileage is right back to the 16. I don't think I ever checked the mileage while towing my camper I just didn't care. Usually the kids needed to stop again so it's just fill it while they crash the bathroom and buy more snacks.
I can believe those numbers on a stock height/tire size truck ( maybe one size up). the lift and 35's kill me, but I love the look. It also gets used. It is for all purposes a crewcab version of the '76 highboy I grew up in and then later owned.

Some days I think about lowering it back down, because I don't need it like that as much, also the tires are fucking loud. But I ain't giving up on my youth so easy.

I have been debating on the 4 inch lift along with the tires size increase will bring it to around 7 inches overall. Or just going to do the front lift to get the truck level with a bigger tire.
I may get old but I refuse to grow up, is my motto.
I can believe those numbers on a stock height/tire size truck ( maybe one size up). the lift and 35's kill me, but I love the look. It also gets used. It is for all purposes a crewcab version of the '76 highboy I grew up in and then later owned.

Some days I think about lowering it back down, because I don't need it like that as much, also the tires are fucking loud. But I ain't giving up on my youth so easy.

2015 F350 I love it. Hauls the 42' toy hauler no problem, the equipment trailer up to 20k. Very good truck I'd get another if need be. I would like the bigger back seat of the 17+ though.....