• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fuel mileage from heavy duty trucks

The diesel option from Ford is $10,600 bucks, that’s a 10k premium for a motor and fuel system that shit the bed 2x before it hit 90k miles. The fuel system isn’t/wasn’t covered under the 5 year 100k mile warranty. When it needed the long block I was ~ a month out of warranty I forget exactly. I’d have to double check my paperwork. Ford basically told me to fuck off. After owning ~10 Ford trucks in the past. I’m going to make a switch to either Ram or GM when the time comes.
why didn't ford cover the warranty work?

If the fuel system shit the bed twice that quick, I'd point to poor quality fuel as being the culprit. I'm around these trucks all day, Dodge/Ford and if there is a glaring weakness its the fuel system, it won't take shitty fuel. Which is a shame because being able to run on low quality fuel in the event of civil unrest or even crude removes alot of the draw for me of running a diesel as a a SHTF vehicle. The emissions systems suck, but admittingly they have gotten better. The pussy front ends of the Chevy/GMC HD pickups can't take much abuse so I don't have a lot of experience on those but I'd imagine they have the same issues with the fuel system.

If the fuel system shit the bed twice that quick, I'd point to poor quality fuel as being the culprit. I'm around these trucks all day, Dodge/Ford and if there is a glaring weakness its the fuel system, it won't take shitty fuel. Which is a shame because being able to run on low quality fuel in the event of civil unrest or even crude removes alot of the draw for me of running a diesel as a a SHTF vehicle. The emissions systems suck, but admittingly they have gotten better. The pussy front ends of the Chevy/GMC HD pickups can't take much abuse so I don't have a lot of experience on those but I'd imagine they have the same issues with the fuel system.
It was a fuel system first, then a component that lubed the lifters broke and starved a few of them of oil, chooched the lifters and the cam. Both weren’t covered

I have a 07 Dodge heavy duty 2500, 6.7 Cummins with 6 speed trans and exhaust brake that I bought at an estate sale hooked to a nice 5th wheel camper. 1 money takes all is how they sold it.
The auction was not well attended and I gave stupid low price for the combo.
I drove it stock for about 3 months and was happy with it but the milage kinda sucked as Dodge's answer to emmisions at the time was to inject fuel into the exhaust to keep everything burned clean. I have no idea what those "engineers" were thinking but that was not the answer.
When coming home from the farm after harvest pulling the trailer on a long, 22 mile downhill, the lights went on and I thought the engine was crawling out from under the hood so pulled off to the side of the road after I shut it down. No power assist to anything, shut off. Pissed off.
I let it cool off for a while then lit it back up and all was well. I got home and parked the trailer and took it directly to a good friends shop and after about $2000 I got it back with a tuner box and everything deleted. Engine clean. None of that EGR etc. crap.
Fuckin thing runs like a streak, more power than I need. Top end is 92 MPH. Unloaded, on cruise control at 75-80 MPH on Interstate it gets 18-24 MPG, varies with the wind. It pulls anything I want to pull, IE plenty of power and MPG does drop but you still have plenty of power left.
The only thing I don't like about the truck is changing the fuel filter!!! Again, those fuckin "engineers" were really thinking on that aspect.

If any of you know of some kind of Kit that moves that fuel filter to a point I can get at it and change it easily I would love to hear about that.

The truck will not "Roll Coal" , and I have tried where it was sorely needed. Engine chip takes over and the only time I ever saw a bit of smoke was when the intake air filter indicator was at about 60% and that was only once. FM
A well tuned diesel shouldn't/won't roll coal. Sounds like your friend set you up right. A well tuned diesel will put out less emissions with better fuel mileage then a stock diesel with this BS emissions crap that reduces fuel mileage, increases maintenance costs, is prone to failure.