• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Heavy Duty Truck?

Oh lol no shit. got my responses mixed up..

Disregard
Lol I hear ya a lot going on is this thread but for sure an egt is the most important function to monitor on a diesel I have one along with a fuel pressure after I lost an injection pump. I have seen egt sensors on gas race cars though, lots of good tuning info for turbo motors.

Do you have an EGT gauge on it? IMO that’s the first thing that should go on the truck if you decide to haul with it. It’s the EGT Temps on these trucks that dictate how hard you can pull. They’ll Pull and pull and pull, but without that gauge, your don’t know if your temps are through the roof or not. Being able to mitigate the exhaust temps allows you to use the additional power
If my truck didn't come stock with one then no.

Man, obviously I'm not a truck guy. I'm like one of those Remington M700 guys that don't know crap about the mods available.

Reactions: HogsLife
If my truck didn't come stock with one then no.

Man, obviously I'm not a truck guy. I'm like one of those Remington M700 guys that don't know crap about the mods available.

If you got a gasser you don’t need one.

Believe it or not. Even tho it’s one the most critical aspects to keep aware of on diesels, I haven’t owned a diesel yet that came with an EGT Gauge.

Those temps dictate how hard hard you can pull on a diesel. you can have 600hp and with the ability to haul a trailer at 100mph up a grade but if your EGT’s are tacking high at 55mph, that’s all you got. Why guys invest in bigger intercoolers, water / meth injection, delete kits etc. it’s all for cooling. That hot gas is no bueno. The newer ones are even worse in that regard.

With the older fords (7.3’s) Jody Tipton @ DP Tuner was the way.

Never know I might get a diesel anyway so this info might be used eventually.

I haven't checked the site yet but I'm assuming they have the programmer I would need.

I watched some youtube videos last night on some 2022 trucks with weird problems. Those newer trucks seem to have lots of computer bugs.

I have a friend with a top of the line 2019-ish Ford F150 that has been in the shop a lot. Mostly small things that are hard to diagnose I guess but that would drive me nuts.

Plus these newer trucks are so expensive its insane.

Find you a 2015 or newer f-250 or Cummins, like mentioned earlier the 2015 f-250 had the turbo and injector upgrade for a little more power. My cousin found a really clean 2016 f-250 with 10k on it for $50k while not cheap, but for what it is it’s not bad, deals are there you just gotta look.

Reactions: steve123
These newer aluminum body trucks can also be heavy compared to older trucks. My truck as shown without me in the cab, bed empty, full tank of fuel and 3/4 tank of DEF.
IMG_4206.jpeg

IMG_5941.jpeg

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Geez I never figured the newer body style would be that heavy even being a long bed. That doesn’t leave much room for payload, being it’s only a 10k truck

I watched some youtube videos last night on some 2022 trucks with weird problems. Those newer trucks seem to have lots of computer bugs.

I have a friend with a top of the line 2019-ish Ford F150 that has been in the shop a lot. Mostly small things that are hard to diagnose I guess but that would drive me nuts.

Plus these newer trucks are so expensive its insane.

Yeah the cost of trucks / vehicles these days are crazy expensive. I will say I’ve got 110K on my 2016 F250 6.7 and have had minimal issues. DEF heater quit working on me a couple years ago during the coldest time of the winter and my DEF froze so truck wouldn’t recycle. Got that fixed and have had zero issues since.

Seems to me the majority of issues with the newer trucks revolve around the emissions garbage. Deleting them solves those issues.

Only Other thing I’ve really heard about was the issues with the CP4 pump but from what I understand they don’t all
Go out and it’s typically at much higher mileages. Other may have different experiences.

If you got a gasser you don’t need one.

Believe it or not. Even tho it’s one the most critical aspects to keep aware of on diesels, I haven’t owned a diesel yet that came with an EGT Gauge.

Those temps dictate how hard hard you can pull on a diesel. you can have 600hp and with the ability to haul a trailer at 100mph up a grade but if your EGT’s are tacking high at 55mph, that’s all you got. Why guys invest in bigger intercoolers, water / meth injection, delete kits etc. it’s all for cooling. That hot gas is no bueno. The newer ones are even worse in that regard.
I installed a Boost, EGT and Trans Temp guage on mine. You'd be surpised how fast and high the EGTs will rise when pulling any kind of load.

EGT and Trans Temp are must have serious guages. The Boost is for fun.

Geez I never figured the newer body style would be that heavy even being a long bed. That doesn’t leave much room for payload, being it’s only a 10k truck
I ordered my truck and picked out how I wanted it set up. I went with the short box and glad I did. I've never wanted for a longer bed in my construction business and parking and backing out of a crowded parking lot would be even harder than it already is.

Reactions: plong
I have a short bed also I used to run quite a bit in the bed I had a loaded down pack rat with weatherguard side boxes and the big weatherguard cross box I’ve since taken it all out and just have the cross box as I just don’t carry what I used to.

I installed a Boost, EGT and Trans Temp guage on mine. You'd be surpised how fast and high the EGTs will rise when pulling any kind of load.

EGT and Trans Temp are must have serious guages. The Boost is for fun.
With good tuning, egts are never a problem. Plenty of times I’m grossing well over 30k and running 75-80 and never had egt problems

I ordered my truck and picked out how I wanted it set up. I went with the short box and glad I did. I've never wanted for a longer bed in my construction business and parking and backing out of a crowded parking lot would be even harder than it already is.
My first diesel. 2001 F250 7.3 PS. 4 door, long bed on 37’s. Thing was a land yacht… 😂 never again
IMG_0626.jpeg

Reactions: TexPatriot
Lol good looking truck though, I love the 7.3’s I wouldn’t mind having a nice lifted 7.3 excursion but they are pricey for a nice one
Thanks man. I ahree. 7.3’s were good reliable motors. I wouldn’t mind having one of the mid 90’s square body 7.3’s some day. Love those older body styles

I have been driving long beds for so long that I don't have an issue driving them in congested areas, fast-food drive thru, or the occasional small parking lot. Now that they have 360-degree cameras and adaptive steering, it makes it even easier these days.

With good tuning, egts are never a problem. Plenty of times I’m grossing well over 30k and running 75-80 and never had egt problems
What and who's tunes are you running?

With the mileage sitting just shy of 500K, I'm paranoid I'd shock the engine at this stage in it's life.

Plus, I'm on transmission no. 3.

I have been driving long beds for so long that I don't have an issue driving them in congested areas, fast-food drive thru, or the occasional small parking lot. Now that they have 360-degree cameras and adaptive steering, it makes it even easier these days.
When parking at my grocery store, I pull in as far as I can the same as all the other vehicles but when I walk off and look back may ass end is always sticking out furthest.

Backing out sometimes can be a real pain. I've never bumped another car but I've gotten real close. I had to.

On a side note, some methbilly pos stole one of my rear axle hub covers while at an HEB parking lot. They needed an Allen wrench to do it. Discount Tire where I bought the wheels said they'd replace it for free but then I find out they are discontinued.

View attachment 7262728
can haul everything and gives more room in the back enough to sleep even and its a diesel
that's not as far-fetched as you think

Bob one of the axles and you have a heavy duty 5th wheel hauler that isn't going to wear out any time soon. Doubt it'd feel even the biggest of 5th wheels behind it.

Guy on ADVRider has a platform for a Smart behind the cab and pulls a 5er behind that.

M

What and who's tunes are you running?

With the mileage sitting just shy of 500K, I'm paranoid I'd shock the engine at this stage in it's life.

Plus, I'm on transmission no. 3.

My dad went through 5 transmissions on his 03 F250 before he put a John Woods Automotive transmission in his and never had a problem with it again. As a stock truck of with 550+ to the wheels. Guys knows how to build a transmission. Was building them for a few 1000hp diesels as well

Or have a truck without a massive repair bill. I agree to what you are saying in a sense but trucks will not last forever no matter how much maintenance you do. Eventually a new truck makes better financial since. They will fall apart.
so your 'massive repair bill' is more than a new truck?

The way things are looking, I'd suggest either buying used for cash or saving your money all together and waiting till the repos have hit the market when the guys who overpaid for their luxury trucks get hit hard

I had a 96 PSD 2wd and if I kept it to a dull roar, I got low 20s. 17ish around town. Towing my ex's Camaro was 10-12 depending on whether we were moving east or west.

My 04 2500 has a Hemi cause I don't tow. Was planning on driving that to Ushuiua (sp?) but the world ended due to the virus kerfuffle. I figured that with a flip top camper on top, I'd get roughly the same mileage that a loaded down Toyota would. Guess I'll never find out now. The 35s look great, but I may get 9mpg. It's 9mpg all around and seems to be consistent across multiple tanks.

M

so your 'massive repair bill' is more than a new truck?

The way things are looking, I'd suggest either buying used for cash or saving your money all together and waiting till the repos have hit the market when the guys who overpaid for their luxury trucks get hit hard

I had a 96 PSD 2wd and if I kept it to a dull roar, I got low 20s. 17ish around town. Towing my ex's Camaro was 10-12 depending on whether we were moving east or west.

My 04 2500 has a Hemi cause I don't tow. Was planning on driving that to Ushuiua (sp?) but the world ended due to the virus kerfuffle. I figured that with a flip top camper on top, I'd get roughly the same mileage that a loaded down Toyota would. Guess I'll never find out now. The 35s look great, but I may get 9mpg. It's 9mpg all around and seems to be consistent across multiple tanks.

M
The post you quoted of mine is nearly 4 years old. Full size 2500/3500 trucks weren’t $75k for a base model. Take that into consideration. If a truck is making a man money, down time in repairs can increase the end cost of the repair by many times over as well. Sometimes a new truck is the cheaper option of at least close enough to justify it.

When parking at my grocery store, I pull in as far as I can the same as all the other vehicles but when I walk off and look back may ass end is always sticking out furthest.

Backing out sometimes can be a real pain. I've never bumped another car but I've gotten real close. I had to.

On a side note, some methbilly pos stole one of my rear axle hub covers while at an HEB parking lot. They needed an Allen wrench to do it. Discount Tire where I bought the wheels said they'd replace it for free but then I find out they are discontinued.
I hear ya. I am in SoCal and they don' make parking spaces for trucks this size so I just have to deal with my ass hanging out. This is in downtown San Diego at one of my old eating places. Can't back in or may rear hangs over the sidewalk. Most places out here plant shrubs along the curb so that screws everything up.
img_3288_8cbf8a4e04ec2507dbf1b7137a37c520627a835c.jpg

The post you quoted of mine is nearly 4 years old. Full size 2500/3500 trucks weren’t $75k for a base model. Take that into consideration. If a truck is making a man money, down time in repairs can increase the end cost of the repair by many times over as well. Sometimes a new truck is the cheaper option of at least close enough to justify it.
didn't look at the date. The post just popped up in my 'new posts'

I get that if a truck isn't working, it's costing rather than making money. ...but... The way the economy is going, paying cash is king. That way you can keep making money with a truck won't get repo's

M

My dad went through 5 transmissions on his 03 F250 before he put a John Woods Automotive transmission in his and never had a problem with it again. As a stock truck of with 550+ to the wheels. Guys knows how to build a transmission. Was building them for a few 1000hp diesels as well

Yeah, I should have gone with a John Woods after the first trans let go. The 4R100 was always the weak link in the 7.3.

I heard Ford does offer a beefed up bullet proof'd version of the 4R100

part of the reason I'm in this thread is my new-to-me Sprinter. Evidently MB cut LOTS of corners with the V-6 diesel.

I'm getting the AEM recall done for free, but the cheapest Sprinter on FB marketplace is gonna cost me a bit to get it back to snuff.

Thinking about a DPF delete. EGR if I can get away with it. Bigger oil cooler to keep temps down till the 4 year warranty is up on the AEM recall. Possibly the resistor mod to keep the swirl flaps in the open position. All to mitigate some of the problems the van has now that were designed into it.

M

Yeah, I should have gone with a John Woods after the first trans let go. The 4R100 was always the weak link in the 7.3.

I heard Ford does offer a beefed up bullet proof'd version of the 4R100

Yeah they were hit and miss for sure. Never had an issue with mine but by dads went out within 500 miles off the dealership lot. The other 4 were all under warranty and fixed by ford. After that he went with John and 500k miles later and 2 motors it’s still running without a hitch. Bangs through them gears hard.

Yeah they were hit and miss for sure. Never had an issue with mine but by dads went out within 500 miles off the dealership lot. The other 4 were all under warranty and fixed by ford. After that he went with John and 500k miles later and 2 motors it’s still running without a hitch. Bangs through them gears hard.
My first started making a thump before 60K miles when I would come to a stop. I thought it was something in my tool box. As soon as it was out of warranty it crapped. I raised hell with Ford, telling them I was hearing a bump noise back when it was still under warranty which I did. They split the cost of a rebuilt replacement.

The second trans showed black oil on the dipstick when I picked it up at the dealer and I said WTF? They said that was just 'packing fluid' or some nonsense. I told them to drain it and replace it with red trans fluid.

No. 2 took a number two at about the same mileage, 60K. A .50 lock ring somehow broke and came out of it's seat and grenaded the whole trans. I really raised hell then and they went halves again on no. 3.

So far it's held up. I don't use and abuse my truck. It's probably the most underworked PSD on the road.

My first started making a thump before 60K miles when I would come to a stop. I thought it was something in my tool box. As soon as it was out of warranty it crapped. I raised hell with Ford, telling them I was hearing a bump noise back when it was still under warranty which I did. They split the cost of a rebuilt replacement.

The second trans showed black oil on the dipstick when I picked it up at the dealer and I said WTF? They said that was just 'packing fluid' or some nonsense. I told them to drain it and replace it with red trans fluid. No. 2 did a number two about the mileage, 60K, a .50 lock ring somehow broke and came out of it's place and grenaded the whole trans. I really raised hell then and they went halves on no. 3.

So far it's held up. I don't use and abuse my truck. It's probably the most underworked PSD on the road.
Glad you finally got one that’s holding together. That’s a huge pita..

Glad you finally got one that’s holding together. That’s a huge pita..
Thanks. I gave it a face lift a couple years ago and put 2005-2007 headlights and grill on it. I hit a deer in Nov. and had to replace the front bumper and a headlight. I put a black bumper, Harley Davidson black headlights and Plasti dipped the chrome grill.

The blacked out front looks pretty good with the silver color of the truck.

• Love
Thanks. I gave it a face lift a couple years ago and put 2005-2007 headlights and grill on it. I hit a deer in Nov. and had to replace the front bumper and a headlight. I put a black bumper, Harley Davidson black headlights and Plasti dipped the chrome grill.

The blacked out front looks pretty good with the silver color of the truck.
Sounds like it. Love the blacked out look

Reactions: TexPatriot
Government terrorists and their badged enforcers using the law and regulation to keep costs as high as possible for the consumer. This is no different than the billions in fines just announced against the airlines.

The goal is hyper regulation and enforcement to keep businesses in lock step with gov’t to control the population. Real facism that will lead to communism. America. Land of the free.

I had the 5.7 Hemi for less than a month but knew every day I drove it I was dodging a ticket.

That truck was a few tenths slower in 0-60 and the 1/4-mile than a modern Camry or Accord sedan. If you had problems with it, might want to stay away from any proper sport or muscle car.

That truck was a few tenths slower in 0-60 and the 1/4-mile than a modern Camry or Accord sedan. If you had problems with it, might want to stay away from any proper sport or muscle car.
The highway speeds out here where I live are 55, 65 and a stretch of 70, sporadically enforced.

Just going through the gears aggressively in the Hemi put me at 70+. I liked it.

Truthfully I don't know anything about those. What brand should I look into?? Heck if you can find the link for my truck let me know please.
Not sure, my best friend had 2 different 6.0 F250s and went back to a 2003 7.3 he started with a Super chips. 2 years ago after an engine fire (his mechanic said a new solenoid he replaced was bad).
He put $5K with the $9K from the insurance and had the engine & transmission built, then they upgraded to something new, all I know is his performance setting is labeled "Ludicrous" and it runs like a scalded ape!
With the super chip he had 3 settings; economy, towing & performance. Economy netted him 35-40 MPG, towing pulled his 23,000 pound 5th wheel (with air bags) with no problems, and performance was a hotrod! He does have the full Banks turbo upgrade as well. You don't get the same performance with a gas burner, but it also controls the transmission. My 02 Ram I have 2 transmission computers, stock is 4-speed/overdrive & another that changes it to 5-speed/ overdrive for long highway trips.

Not sure, my best friend had 2 different 6.0 F250s and went back to a 2003 7.3 he started with a Super chips. 2 years ago after an engine fire (his mechanic said a new solenoid he replaced was bad).
He put $5K with the $9K from the insurance and had the engine & transmission built, then they upgraded to something new, all I know is his performance setting is labeled "Ludicrous" and it runs like a scalded ape!
With the super chip he had 3 settings; economy, towing & performance. Economy netted him 35-40 MPG, towing pulled his 23,000 pound 5th wheel (with air bags) with no problems, and performance was a hotrod! He does have the full Banks turbo upgrade as well. You don't get the same performance with a gas burner, but it also controls the transmission. My 02 Ram I have 2 transmission computers, stock is 4-speed/overdrive & another that changes it to 5-speed/ overdrive for long highway trips.
35-40mph empty ain’t happening, much less towing. Towing it’ll be well under 1/2 that

No way man. With a tuned 7.3L I’d venture to say he was closer to 17-18 hwy MPG without towing. Maybe 20 depending on how heavy his foot is. Towing would be substantially less than that.

Edit : And that’s on a 03 7.3 (single rear axle) and normal size AT tires with all the engine goodies, emissions deletes and live tuned by Jody @ DP Tuner. 17-18 fwy mpg unloaded.

Last edited: