• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Which Nightforce reticle?

GentleBen

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
www.mydyingbreath.com
Am looking at a new Nightforce Benchrest in 8-32x56.

There are four reticles available where I am shopping -- NP-2DD, NP-R2, NP-1RR and Mil-dot.

Advantages? Most popular? Your favorite if you own one?

Opinions please. It will go on a .308 build by Phoenix Custom Rifles.

(I already have one Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP with MOA reticle. I'd just get another one of those but not enough power offered.)

Re: Which Nightforce reticle?

OK, now I've just added the Sightron SIII 8-32x56 to the list, it has a MOA-2 non-illuminated reticle ... $950 (a bit more than $300 less than the Nightforce). I don't think I can go wrong, but for the difference I won't have to scrimp on the rings and base.

You never stated whether your application was tactical type or benchrest shooting.
If benchrest, the NP-2DD would be the best, Everyone likes DD"s.
Tactical, the NP-R2, would prob be the best, but that ranging reticle, the NP-1RR is way cool once you figure your holdovers, very quick.
I see NF has cut way back on their reticle options for new scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SASSdriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8-32 on a 308 why?</div></div>
Laugh, I have one on a 6.5x47, NP-2DD, overkill yes!
I had two $1800.00 scopes sitting on my bench when the gun was built, and I was scope poor.
Bought a 4.5x14 Leupold for it, but it went on a AR.
I love it, have to dial, no biggie to me, but watching the bullet impact steel is awesome. Taken it to 1500 yards, fun!

It's not on your list but I would go MOAR. One MOA graduations makes it very nice for holdovers and wind holds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not on your list but I would go MOAR. One MOA graduations makes it very nice for holdovers and wind holds. </div></div>
Agreed, but you can't get the MOAR in a benchrest scope.

MOAR is the way to go, I'm useing a 5.5X22 NF on a 375 CT and have more then I need for 2000 yards. Should work for a .308 which I shoot to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not on your list but I would go MOAR. One MOA graduations makes it very nice for holdovers and wind holds. </div></div>
Agreed, but you can't get the MOAR in a benchrest scope.</div></div>

Yeah I know you can't but I wouldn't even waste my time with a BR scope as all that magnification really isn't needed unless the gun is really going to be dedicated to BR. I had a NP-2DD in a 5.5-22 and it is nice because the reticle is very clean and simple but not very ideal for hold overs as there is nothing to reference really. I would say its a very good varmint reticle and a BR but that's about it.