• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Reloader Powder for 338 LM?

Cira

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
I had a pretty decent 338 Lapua Mag load using Hodgdon Retumbo and 300gr Sierra MKs. However, Retumbo along with a lot of Hodgdon powder has about dried up in the area. My local shop has tons of Alliant Reloader powders available.

I see that RL-25 has a similar slow burn rate to Retumbo and RL-22 is a in the neighborhood of H4831 which seem to be go to powders for 338 LM. Anyone have experience with RL-22 or RL-25 in the 338 LM? How did it perform? Which did you like better?

Re: Which Reloader Powder for 338 LM?

I think RL25 would be my first choice over RL22. I have been going back and forth between RL25 and IMR 7828SSC in my 338.

Lapua Brass Federal Magnum Match Primers

300 gr MK 87.0 RL25
250 gr MK 92.5 RL25

250 gr MK 89.0 IMR 7828SSC I had loaded 91.0 originally and backed the load off to 89.0.

I found another pound of RL25 yesterday in my local reloading store. He has been keeping IMR7828 most of the time.

I only load the 250s due to a 12 twisted barrel, but RL-25 would be the more commonly used Reloder powder in the 338LM (250s and 300s) and I've been reading recipes here for a few years.

Still, I use VV165 and H-4831sc to great effect out to 1k and with moderate pressures, so I think I could use RE-22 with the lighter SMKs and Scenars.

For the 300s, VV-170, VV-N570 (rare), VV-N560 (pretty rare), H-1000, RE-25 and Retumbo are probably the powders in widest use here, for the heavies in the 338LM.

I actually went back through my notes and targets and at shorter ranges, H-1000 shot pretty well, so I bought another pound last w/e.

Some will argue the faster powders above have a sharper recoil impulse and consequently, the slower powders have a more gradual/slower impulse, but it's like bull riding...you might have a bull a couple hundred pounds lighter than the next bull over, but it's still going to be a wild ride, regardless.

Butch up there cowboys.

Again, with the 338LM, load to the distance you plan on shooting and save your throat.

Chris

Reloder 25 is very popular in the 338LM.

And my little fact of the day, about 80% of people never seem to realize there actually isn't an "A" in Reloder.
smile.gif

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/reloder25.aspx

HUN-000547-2T.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reloder 25 is very popular in the 338LM.

And my little fact of the day, about 80% of people never seem to realize there actually isn't an "A" in Reloder.
smile.gif

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/reloder25.aspx

HUN-000547-2T.jpg

</div></div>

wow I never noticed that! Thanks to Cliff Clavin aka JasonK for enlightening me!

I am a DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL...it helps when searching for it in stock at places to spell it right. </div></div>

when I bought my 338lm it came with a test target and load data and it was Reloader 19, I use it all the time when my Retumbo gets low and it shoot just fine. The Sierra book shows the loads for it.

The Sierra book's data is usually really weak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru &#8853;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hogdgon Retumbo for heavies and h1000 for light bullets.... sorry i have had bad experiences with the rl-25. </div></div>

What sort of bad experiences?

250 SMK's can go RE19,22 and 25. I am currently shooting RE22 because I can't get RE25. I shoot a little better with RE25, but the 22 works fine. I haven't played with the RE19 because it seems a bit hot but the Sierra book shows it so, maybe at some point. It was the go to powder when I was trying to make some Barnes 225 XLC's work. As you know, the rule of thumb is to go with the slowest burn and highest fill volume. But at this point in the game, you kinda shoot what you can get. Ain't it grand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ain't it grand? </div></div>

Mmmm..... No......

Need RL25 bad.....

I use RL25 most of the time, But IMR7828 or IMR7828 ssc works very also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OLIN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need RL25 bad..... </div></div>

My local store just got some more powder in. Guess what...more RE22 and no 25. Just can't get a break. By the way, did the civil war game come out the way you liked?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OLIN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't lose, I went to OSU and my step-daughter just graduated from UofO. </div></div>
Same story here. One brother went to OSU, the other is a uber-Duck. I found myself cheering for both teams when they scored! Either way, we go to the roses!!!

I use the H-1000 for the last 1000 rounds of Lapua 250 gr Scenar bullets. They all sot great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cira</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru &#8853;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hogdgon Retumbo for heavies and h1000 for light bullets.... sorry i have had bad experiences with the rl-25. </div></div>

What sort of bad experiences? </div></div>

Well this might be a old problem but when RL wasnt very old we were using it in our larger comp guns. Just the 25. After the first lot we were getting ready to start the new season and were getting 150fps less out of the same loads of a differnt lot. Then i bought a different one just to test and it was really hot. They might have this problem fixed now but it seemed to be on the cold side everytime we have tried it after that. I have never noticed this problem with the other RL powders but havent used them that much because of these problems. Have burned plenty of pounds of H powders and very very rarely ran into any problems like this and in that last 4 or 5 years have not seen it happen at all.