• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who Else Loves That First Cup of Coffee in the Morning

What's the attraction to Starbucks? I've never tried it, but know several folks that cannot face the day without. When my son and his family visit, the DIL is up early to head to SB for a (couldn't tell you the multiple word name) every morning. Is it really that good?

It's not that it is that good, it is just that it is made correctly, using freshly roasted beans. As the person above said, it's about the way it is made that goes such a long way....key is proper water temperature...right below boiling is the perfect temp for best coffee. The vast majority of home coffee makers do not get the water hot enough, but if that's what you are used to, that's all you know. So, when people do get Starbucks they are like, "WOW"

It's not that it is that good, it is just that it is made correctly, using freshly roasted beans. As the person above said, it's about the way it is made that goes such a long way....key is proper water temperature...right below boiling is the perfect temp for best coffee. The vast majority of home coffee makers do not get the water hot enough, but if that's what you are used to, that's all you know. So, when people do get Starbucks they are like, "WOW"

I'm sure I would be like, "WOW!"...when I heard the price. I've been called a snob for certain habits, tastes in equipment, boots, etc, but coffee ain't one.

Reactions: Centuriator
I rarely go into Starbucks even though my high school daughter works there and we get a 30% discount. Their coffee always tasted burned to me which I equate to their beans.

However, when my daughter started working there, one of the many benefits is 1-2 lbs of free beans/week. Using them at home where I can control the brew makes them taste super good.

And they are FREE...I am a cheap fuck when you get down to it

I rarely go into Starbucks even though my high school daughter works there and we get a 30% discount. Their coffee always tasted burned to me which I equate to their beans.

However, when my daughter started working there, one of the many benefits is 1-2 lbs of free beans/week. Using them at home where I can control the brew makes them taste super good.

Looks like Feinstein isnt the only inside trader........

Your brown bean privlidge is showing......

What's the attraction to Starbucks? I've never tried it, but know several folks that cannot face the day without. When my son and his family visit, the DIL is up early to head to SB for a (couldn't tell you the multiple word name) every morning. Is it really that good?

I'm with you Eddie. Never had a cup of Starbucks, and I never will, mainly since it was too expensive for a frikkin cup of coffee, but now mainly for their politics. Like the NBA, if they suddenly disappeared today at noon, I wouldn't even notice.

Eventually kids begin to pay off...a little. :)

La Spaziale S1 and MACAP burr grinder have done the trick for me for over 12 years now. I have taken that machine apart a couple of times and it always comes back stronger than before. It is a bit of a pain as it requires a 30A line and has to be hard plumbed but it is worth it

View attachment 7278829

Dang now that is NOICE....how much did al that gear set you back? Or, put another way, how many precision rifles is that worth? :)

Dang now that is NOICE....how much did al that gear set you back? Or, put another way, how many precision rifles is that worth? :)

Actually not as bad as either of my AIs

La Spaziale Machine - $2,400
MACAP Grinder - $500
Plumber to run a hard line - $200
Electrician - One bottle of Angels Envy (Good friend)

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
:) LOL. I hear that.

You know you are very serious into coffee when you have a dedicated water and electrical line in to power your coffee maker!!!

I think you win!!

Love it.

Convenience on the road and some f its a social thing...checking out who's checking you out.

:) LOL. I hear that.

You know you are very serious into coffee when you have a dedicated water and electrical line in to power your coffee maker!!!

I think you win!!

Love it.

When you consider that the setup is 12 years old and has cost a max of $200 in repairs over that time...it isn't a bad investment. I actually use a french press to make coffee most days and use this contraption for espresso to add to the coffee...a redeye as most know it.

My wife and daughter use it to make fancy drinks which I stay away from due to the calories

I do use it to make a great Irish coffee when I break out the redbreast whisky

• Love
When you consider that the setup is 12 years old and has cost a max of $200 in repairs over that time...it isn't a bad investment. I actually use a french press to make coffee most days and use this contraption for espresso to add to the coffee...a redeye as most know it.

My wife and daughter use it to make fancy drinks which I stay away from due to the calories

I do use it to make a great Irish coffee when I break out the redbreast whisky

I love French Press but ... I usually do not have the time, and/or, heck, usually to lazy to do it. So, I opt for drip in the The Cuisinart DCC-3400 which gets the water to 200 degrees, most drip coffee makers do not.

Reactions: Nik H
I just started really loving my coffee in the morning. We use community coffee. (since most everybody in south Louisiana thinks it’s the best coffee in the world and the wife goes with it!) obviously there are lots of better coffee out there.
I like the taste of coffee and drink medium roast black.
If I don’t drink any coffee I do not get a headache.
What made me really love it more is doing intermittent fasting. Basically you don’t eat for 16 hours. (so 8:00 pm until 12 noon.) what I found though is when I get up I am REALLY anxious to have my coffee!

Reactions: pmclaine
What do you think of coffee with Chicory? I love Cafe Du Monde in the Big Easy. That city is a paradise for foodies. I grew up a couple hours east of NO. Developed a love for red beans and rice (that's nice!) thanks for my parents' best friends. The man was born/raised in New Orleans, married a Japanese girl during the Korean War, brought her back home and she became an awesome New Orleans style cook. Red beans and rise were a regular feature at our family's get together on Sunday. Then lets talk: raw oysters, etc. etc.

Oh, and the music!!

My favorite NO story:

We were there a few years back sitting on a patio at a restaurant/bar on the river and there was activity under a pier. We see a body floating face down in the water and a good old NO boy says, imagine a fantastic Cajun accent: "Ya, we get them floaters here 'cause the Big Muddy washes 'em on up right at that spot, the Poleice just fish 'em on out and they haul 'em away."

Everyone around us just nodded and went back to drinking. We were a couple Hurricanes into it by that point and we thought it was hilarious. I guess you had to be there.

What do you think of coffee with Chicory? I love Cafe Du Monde in the Big Easy. That city is a paradise for foodies. I grew up a couple hours east of NO. Developed a love for red beans and rice (that's nice!) thanks for my parents' best friends. The man was born/raised in New Orleans, married a Japanese girl during the Korean War, brought her back home and she became an awesome New Orleans style cook. Red beans and rise were a regular feature at our family's get together on Sunday. Then lets talk: raw oysters, etc. etc.

Oh, and the music!!

My favorite NO story:

We were there a few years back sitting on a patio at a restaurant/bar on the river and there was activity under a pier. We see a body floating face down in the water and a good old NO boy says, imagine a fantastic Cajun accent: "Ya, we get them floaters here 'cause the Big Muddy washes 'em on up right at that spot, the Poleice just fish 'em on out and they haul 'em away."

Everyone around us just nodded and went back to drinking. We were a couple Hurricanes into it by that point and we thought it was hilarious. I guess you had to be there.

The best stories are the “you had to be there” variety.

Reactions: Centuriator
Yup, it was an unforgettable moment, either in spite of or because of the Hurricanes we were drinking. Dang, those are strong drinks.

• Haha
Reactions: charnicus
I don’t care for chicory. I didn't live here as a young person and I can’t see why people like it.

Actually not as bad as either of my AIs

La Spaziale Machine - $2,400
MACAP Grinder - $500
Plumber to run a hard line - $200
Electrician - One bottle of Angels Envy (Good friend)

$200 Keruig....I'm good.

simple breakfast.jpg

Coffee = check
Bacon = check

Yep, it's a good morning.

Remember when Gevalia was strictly by mail order and they shipped you coffee AND a coffee maker? I do remember it being pretty darn good.

OH man do I remember that. I had just been stationed in the military in AK and didn't own anything. I signed up for their discounted first shipment withna free coffee maker. I promptly canceled after that and used that coffee maker for at least 12 years!

It's a fashion statement. Me, I've been talked into it a time or two, due to my son and mainly at airports, they just put too much crap in the cup. I like my coffee, hot, strong and black, period. But, I will admit, when I was stationed in Germany (or anywhere in Europe, for that matter) for one of my tours, Expresso was my go-to coffee of choice. A couple of small cups of that and I was GtG for a 12hr. shift. Drink on! Mac

It's a fashion statement. Me, I've been talked into it a time or two, due to my son and mainly at airports, they just put too much crap in the cup. I like my coffee, hot, strong and black, period. But, I will admit, when I was stationed in Germany (or anywhere in Europe, for that matter) for one of my tours, Expresso was my go-to coffee of choice. A couple of small cups of that and I was GtG for a 12hr. shift. Drink on! Mac

There is a joke to be had in this post somewhere...

:unsure::D

Last edited:
Yes. Aeropress, and my current coffee of choice, moves from some of the Black Rifle offerings, Lavvaza, and a few others. Fresh grind in the morning to between espresso and drip grind, 190 degree water, 2 minutes = perfection.

Reactions: charnicus
Picture if you will,,,,,

Waking up in a tent, the top of the sleeping-bag is covered in a fine/light layer of frost. You see your breath. Put your clothes on (that you had at your feet in the sleeping-bag so that they are not completely frigid) then climb out of the tent and take in that spectacular view of being in the heart of the Rocky Mountains.

Go stoke the embers/coals of the fire and add some wood to them, to get it 'up-and-running again', then set the pre-prepared percolator on the grate. In due time, whilst looking after "administrative duties" and washing in ice-cold water, the top glass bubble of the percolator is "starting to do it's thing". And the aroma, oh man, it's starting to smell GOOD around here.

Elk hunting just don't get better than this, actually experiencing the true nature of the wild. Go split a few more pieces of wood, and add that to the pile, just to make sure you're "ahead of the game" for the day. Come back to the fire, and the coffee is ready.

Everything pauses as you hear an elk call in the 'close' distance,,, and you wait for a bull to reply.

THAT'S a great cup of coffee. Right then, right there!

Picture if you will,,,,,

Waking up in a tent, the top of the sleeping-bag is covered in a fine/light layer of frost. You see your breath. Put your clothes on (that you had at your feet in the sleeping-bag so that they are not completely frigid) then climb out of the tent and take in that spectacular view of being in the heart of the Rocky Mountains.

Go stoke the embers/coals of the fire and add some wood to them, to get it 'up-and-running again', then set the pre-prepared percolator on the grate. In due time, whilst looking after "administrative duties" and washing in ice-cold water, the top glass bubble of the percolator is "starting to do it's thing". And the aroma, oh man, it's starting to smell GOOD around here.

Elk hunting just don't get better than this, actually experiencing the true nature of the wild. Go split a few more pieces of wood, and add that to the pile, just to make sure you're "ahead of the game" for the day. Come back to the fire, and the coffee is ready.

Everything pauses as you hear an elk call in the 'close' distance,,, and you wait for a bull to reply.

THAT'S a great cup of coffee. Right then, right there!

Yeah we are getting your image description.....

1584897917016.png

1584897941383.png

Get her to bring home lots of cups, too.

Then, throw them out the window of your car. Starbucks Cup Litter everywhere at least makes the Hipsters look like litterbug a$$holes!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have my flame suit on and am ready.
When I was young my Mother and both of my Grandmothers would never let my brothers or me have coffee and told us,"You have to be a grown-up or an adult to have coffee." That's what all of them would say. I think they mostly wanted it for themselves and didn't want to waste it on we younguns. All of them would be on a coffee Jones when they got up and the smell of that shit brewing would be the first thing we smelled when we entered the kitchen area.
My Grandfather was raised way out in the boondocks and coffee was a luxury they could not afford so he didn't drink it either. I learned a lot from him.
Over the years as I have aged in places like the Army and at work I always looked at all of the coffee drinkers and thought to myself,"This is what addiction is all about."

Making a long story short, I never became an "Adult", I have never been a "grown-up" as defined by my Mother and Grandmothers and I don't drink that vile smelling shit in order to get me going in the morning, I just get up and start cranking. I don't need it to make me shit.
Over the years I have observed many that just have to have their coffee, Joe, Mud etc. in order to get going for the day and in many cases I would prepare it for them or give them what they needed in order to get them off of their ass and on their feet so we could do what we needed to do, just like"The Pusher Man" and felt sorry for them that they needed that kick in the ass to get going. FM
I would rather have a can of stale beer and cornflakes for breakfast than a cup of that horrible smelling shit and be on my way.

Well, as I said, my flame suit is on and I am ready and I know I am not the common person and do know there are damned few others like me out there.
Two kinds of people I don't trust in the world 1. People that don't like or have dogs 2. People that don't drink or like coffee........Your dead to me........LOL

Two kinds of people I don't trust in the world 1. People that don't like or have dogs 2. People that don't drink or like coffee........Your dead to me........LOL

Count me in the "Doesnt like dogs" camp.

Last week shooting at friends farm his dog was out running free while son and I were doing some tooling around in a SXS.

Damn dog decides to take on neighbors three dogs and her idea of fighting is to roll on her back and submit while the other three dogs maul her.

So Im in amongst 4 dogs fighting to save one bent on suicide.

Id get the three off hoping Ghandi would flee but she just lay there.

Grab her by the collar, try to pull her from the fight, of course the collar slips her head.

Im kicking, yelling, getting nipped.

Finally just grabbed a paw and casualty dragged her out, thinking a dislocated foreleg is better than disembowlement.

Shes yelping in pain as I drag her through mud and shit to get her "Death by Canine" self out of there.

My friend got his dog back looking like a mud carpet.

My answer to what happened was "I hate fucking dogs"

You'll that like the good coffee, do any of you still add cream or sugar or you stick to black?

You'll that like the good coffee, do any of you still add cream or sugar or you stick to black?

Now I will show how actually low-brow I am. I love CoffeeMate! And I use it. Powder only. No special flavor version. I use the powdered stuff because it does not cool the coffee.

Straight black if I like the coffee. Cream n sugar only if it's too bitter (McDonald's or Perkins coffee for example)