• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who Knows About Solenoids? Reactive Targets.

woojos

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
My gunsmith/buddy has some property and wanted to set up some reactive targets in the woods. The idea is as you walk through, you trigger motion sensors or laser sensors, and it releases the targets. I have the sensor system built and we are just using a remote for now.

The targets were going to be gravity driven, just a plate attached to a hinge and you pushed them over your common door lock type mechanism, and when the sensor activates it pulls back the solenoid dropping the target:

1512animation.gif

The problem is the original solenoid I ordered is relatively weak and won't function with a steel plate resting on it. I'd like to keep everything as simple as possible, but if we have to add a mechanical lever with a hook to drop the plate, it is probably OK as we can shield the solenoid from sprawl.

I found a ton online, and really doing this by trial and error, so I was hoping someone had some expertise to lend.

I'm hoping one that will run on 12-18v w/ 9v or AA batteries and is capable of generating a sufficient force, i.e. moving w/ a plate resting on it, with cost under $30/unit.

Any ideas?

I just noticed it only has a 5 ounce pull. That might not do it for you. I'm not sure how strong of a solenoid you'll be able to run if you only have twelve volt power. You might want to go 24 volt.

What if you use a lever as a latch, and used the solenoid to hold/release the lever? ASCII art usually doesn't turn out, but...
Big Heavy Plate Lever latch Solenoid

______________---V-----------<

The V is the pivot.
There won't be a lot of pressure on the solenoid, because of the lever.

Regards,
Rick

Thanks for the replies. It's going to be a pull type activating a hook on a lever. I found some universal door unlocker solenoids for cheap which should be more than powerful enough.

Also, 12v lead acid batteries, like on a RC car, are the ticket. They are cheaper than house batteries, provide adequate current, and should be easily rechargeable.