• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes a good .223 Bolt gun ?

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I own a Rem 700 5R in .223 that has been an amazing gun. I thought Bergara was going to make one but never saw it surface. Any other solid manufactures make a good one.

I shoot mine out to a thousand with good results and its a tack driver. But I'd like a longer barrel and maybe step up my game. Any feedback appreciated.

PB

Did not know Proof made 223 bolt guns. I only found the Mountain tactical rifle. No Zeus, or is Zeus somebody else.

My barrel is fine on my Remmy gun and want to keep it as is, I just want another complete gun. Better everything.

PB

Did not know Proof made 223 bolt guns. I only found the Mountain tactical rifle. No Zeus, or is Zeus somebody else.

My barrel is fine on my Remmy gun and want to keep it as is, I just want another complete gun. Better everything.

PB
proof makes prefit barrels for numerousactions. the zermatt origin being a very affordable an great option

zeus is an action by terminus

someone like Altus, Keystone, and others can build you an origin/zeus or whatever barreled action

everybody loves my wife’s 223 Tikka.
Bartlien medium Palma @ 24”
Manners PRS1 stock.
C1502F54-D0C9-4846-871B-BC2406392921.jpeg

I found a Bergara with #5.5 barrel. What size would my Rem 700 5R barrel be if you know. Its more of a Bull barrel but not huge like some of my Krieger or Bartliens. I don't want a sporter barrel and the beefier the better. Any feedback appreciated on describing the size of 5.5 is.

PB

or combine a slightly cheaper version maybe a tika in 223/556 added on a krg bravo chassis or that mdt version of a krg so you could skip the piller and bedding maybe pick a trigger you want .

Reactions: runningbear
You might get better answers if you also post a price range or a budget you intend on working with.

If you already have some rifles with Kriegers/Bartleins why not go the custom route for this?

You might get better answers if you also post a price range or a budget you intend on working with.

If you already have some rifles with Kriegers/Bartleins why not go the custom route for this?
what Harman117 said!! How much do you want to spend??

Harman117, that is where I am leaning. I went to Southern Precision but could not find everything in stock, however I might start buying parts and pieces.

PB

Harman117, that is where I am leaning. I went to Southern Precision but could not find everything in stock, however I might start buying parts and pieces.

PB
If you're buying parts I'd hurry and look at American Rifle Company. They have all of their actions on sale until tomorrow.

I have a .223 built on an ARC Nucleus. Shoots great. I also have a Ruger Ranch in .223 that never gets shot, so... something to be said for the feel of quality.

Reactions: Trebormen829

PB
Man, I absolutely love my origin 223 in krg w3 chassis. You can't go wrong with that, and you can swap bolt head and spin on a new barrel later on and shoot any other short action caliber you want hell of a good option.

Attachments

• 20210930_181146.jpg
    20210930_181146.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 268
that wooden cheek rest is amazing
The whole gun is pretty amazing. Has some pretty high quality parts in the build list, and a world class builder list that put it together

I have an older 223 Tikka T3 Tactical. It has a 20" heavy barrel with 1/8 twist. I always modify my firearms to improve the accuracy. This is the only firearm that modification was unnecessary. It's a tack driver, especially with heavier (75 and 77gn) projectiles.

Tikka T3X Super Varmint
Either 20" or 23.7" Threaded Barrel
1:8" Twist Rate
Two Stage Trigger
Adjustable Comb / Cheek Piece on the Stock
Not much to not be in love with.

Reactions: TheChief
I tried out a couple different ones over the last year. Settled on the Howa Mini Action heavy barrel.

Run the bolt on a Ruger and then run the bolt on a Tikka. You'll know the answer.
Agreed. I have a Tikka and a defiance tenacity. The defiance action alone cost more than the entire stainless steel Tikka, and the Tikkas bolt is just as good, it not arguably better in some aspects

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
The Tikka will shoot sub MOA out of the box. they give a guarantee as well. I also have a trigger tech special in the custom and the Tikka has a factory Trigger. I'm not a trigger snob but at 2 pounds again, can't tell the difference. Both have zero creep. And with a trigger spring you can get it alot lower than a 2lbs pull. My tikka is in a 7mm rem mag and is sub 1/2 moa or better with Hornady eldx. I don't shoot it a ton cause it kicks like a mule. The custom is definitely more accurate, because I hand load for it.

Hard to beat those Tikka rifles for the money. I really wish they took AI mags but that is nit picking for the quality you get for the money. Dildobaggins I had a Sako A7 I think it was in "A7" in 300WSM, and I called it the meat tenderizer. It just smoked my shoulder. My buddy bought the 325WSM and shot two boxes of shells sighting it in and practicing for an elk hunt, he was out for a minute.

PB

Reactions: Dildobaggins
Hard to beat those Tikka rifles for the money. I really wish they took AI mags but that is nit picking for the quality you get for the money. Dildobaggins I had a Sako A7 I think it was in "A7" in 300WSM, and I called it the meat tenderizer. It just smoked my shoulder. My buddy bought the 325WSM and shot two boxes of shells sighting it in and practicing for an elk hunt, he was out for a minute.

PB
Yeah I hear that! I had 4 shoulder surgeries, so anything that is a larger cal without a muzzle brake is a no go for me haha. I've never held a Sako, also never heard anything bad about them either.

PB
put it in a chassis/stock. boom AICS mags

Sako for a while starting making these A7 rifles that were supposed to be a slight upgrade over Tikka, but not real deal Sako. So that Sako was more Tikka that Sako IMO. Felt like a Tikka.

PB

Well, I'm glad that the bolt operation was smooth on the tikka and not on the RPR. But more importantly, how did they shoot?
I have one in 223 and it shoots way better than I do, I have put maybe 2000 rounds in it, and is still going strong, will more than likely be selling or giving to a family member. I just finished up with an Origin, TT, Bravo, and Shilen barrel and it is a better rifle so far.

Reactions: MK20
I have one of those seemingly rare .223 bergara premier hmr pro barreled actions as a trainer in a krg w3c. love it more than my 6.5

bUUFdKN.jpg
That’s pretty cool. Did not know they ever made a 223 premier. What year did they make that? I have their catalog PDFs back to 2019 and don’t see that listed…could be a off-catalog gun too, I suppose.

That’s pretty cool. Did not know they ever made a 223 premier. What year did they make that? I have their catalog PDFs back to 2019 and don’t see that listed…could be a off-catalog gun too, I suppose.
2018 i think... it was the last one on brownells.. actually shipped with a 30 cal bolt head but bergara sent me a 223 bolt head for free. Took apart the bolt, installed it and it chucked 1/2 moa groups with 77 gr bergers nicely.
bergara 223 premiere info.png

Reactions: carbonbased
2018 i think... it was the last one on brownells.. actually shipped with a 30 cal bolt head but bergara sent me a 223 bolt head for free. Took apart the bolt, installed it and it chucked 1/2 moa groups with 77 gr bergers nicely.View attachment 7824740
I assume the action is the same length as the 22-250 & 6.5 cals, right? (Have both)

It would be pretty cool to swap bolt heads for insta-223…but I’d need a new stock for 223 mags unless there’s some workaround. What mags do you use?

I’ll probably never find one anyway haha

I assume the action is the same length as the 22-250 & 6.5 cals, right? (Have both)

It would be pretty cool to swap bolt heads for insta-223…but I’d need a new stock for 223 mags unless there’s some workaround. What mags do you use?

I’ll probably never find one anyway haha
The action appears the same. I might have to see bergara works with a switch lug or something similar which would be awesome. I've seen 22-250 bergara approach with tan actions/barrels

I use a modified accurate mag, a polymer AI .223 rem magazine, and an MDT 223 mag.. I prefer the AI mag but not as sturdy as the other metal magazines.

Reactions: carbonbased
+1 on Tikka Varmint T3x .223

Great barrel for the $, free quality action, and quality trigger for the price. Factory stock is flimsy, but accuracy is still good.

I want Tikka Lite Compacts in both .223 and .308 so I can make them into scout rifles. Finding the .223 has been fruitless so far and only a couple of .308 out there. There must be a container ship floating around out there full of Tikkas. :cautious:

I’d kill for a 20” .223 CTR right about now. I’ve been tempted to go the Origin/Proof route, but it won’t get me anything I want that a Tikka won’t for $1k less.