• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Who makes the best spotting scope?

Re: Who makes the best spotting scope?

Lowlight's at RO.

Or did you mean which model?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But I would stay away from angled eye pieces.

The others I don't know that much about.</div></div>

Dont understand this one?

Seems like the majority of the High Power are angled.

Can you elaborate?

I mean I have no direct experience with the other Zeiss models.

About the eye piece: one must look down into an angled eye piece. That's fine if you are setting up your scope next to you for solo NRA highpower prone stuff, or if you are standing up behind a line of students. But for work as a spotter, or for setting up prone behind and beside a shooter, to read trace, I want to look directly forward when on the scope.

USO Seems to make a great spotter... I'm planning on getting one of theres and get the same reticle my scope has...

Jake

I have a USO spotter with a Gen II reticle. I bought it to be compatible with my S&B Gen II scope. The USO is a fine field scope, but's a not a true spotting scope so I do not use it for reading trace. I use it at the static range, and for practice Milling targets.

Leica Televid is super clear.

I think any of the big three scopes Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski are optically superb and it will be down to personal preference after handling them (and price!) which will dictate who prefers what..

You can then add another level of scopes which while being quite a bit cheaper are reputed to be *nearly* as good.

In this class you'd have for instance the Nikon Fieldscope, Kowa, and perhaps the Pentax ED ranges to name but a few..

Which ever scope you decide on, if you wear glasses (or might in the future!) consider the eye relief. It varies from maker to maker and even on the same scopes of the same model, it will be different according to the eye piece selected.

Also consider what you want it for..To spot bullet holes in paper at the longest distances needs a scope with good optical resolution and all other factors being equal, the larger the objective, the better the resolving power...

This where 80mm and 100mm objectives shine...Of course thats at the expense of added weight and bulk, not to mention a usually higher price..

According to birders who probably use optics 10x more than any other group of people they vote the Swarovski or the Kowa. I have a Swarovski and you won't find better. If you want one with a reticle in it I'm not sure what to tell ya. But you won't find a crisper image than what you get with Swaro.

Check out the Kowa TSN 883 which is the larger Fluorite lens. That with a 20x60 zoom eye piece. One of the finest setups available.

From those that know they all take a backseat to the Hensoldt.No suprise its the military devision of Zeiss.Prepare for extreme rectal realignment when purchasing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prepare for extreme rectal realignment...</div></div>From the wife, and after purchase.
laugh.gif

I've got a straight Kowa Prominar 884 with fluorite glass and use a 20-60x eyepiece. Unbelievably good and won't run you the cost of a Leica, Zeiss or Hensoldt.

Not that I wouldn't mind a spotter with a mils reticle in it though...
wink.gif

What I have tested, Zeiss/Hensoldts are excellent, but so is Swarovski.
Its As good or even better, very close in any case.

The Swarovskis are very nice looking I must say. I would love to try one out to compare it to my Televid 62. I can't imagine anything outdoing the Leica, not to say that they cannot be as good as Leica.

I have 4 Zeiss, the 85, (2) 65's and the Spotter 60, I also have a Leica Televid 62, and the new Bushnell... that doesn't count all the different glass I have tried in between.

The issue for me is more of durability & Features, because honestly between the Zeiss, Leica and the Swarovski that I have used, there is really no difference at the end of the day. And by end of the day I mean staring through a spotter for hours at a time.

The Spotter 60 is a unique animal because it has features none of the Sport Optic spotters have, so, because of what I do, of course I have a Spotter 60, and I have two Zeiss Mil Dot Eye pieces for my Sport Optic Zeiss... which is the only reason I use the Zeiss more than the Leica or Swarovski. I have seen a Swarovski with a reticle, but they won't sell it, so that is the only reason I don't have one of those... but between the Zeiss and Leica, there is no difference, and really none between any of those and the Swarovski.

Dollar for Dollar I think the best you can get is the Kowa, then followed by the top 3, Zeiss, Leica & Swarovski, anything else is just a distance second place, although I am sure there are two dozen people who will mention a dozen other brands that all "work great" for them.

Get what you can afford and get what makes you happy, don't try and "use" someone' else's opinion when really the image quality can only really be measured by a machine, anything else is just an uneducated guess by any of us. Seriously, I can see pretty well with the $300 Bushnell, but that doesn't mean I want to stare through it for 8 hours a day, but it does do its job.

I would say of the generally avaiable scopes the Swarovski is top. Have two Zeiss and do not like them. Focus breaks and poor optics. I have been told Zeiss is now only coating the external optics, not the internal. I got this from a guy who went through the factory and was told this. They make all they can sell and save money this way. Rifle scopes are said to be the same. I cannot prove this, but can say that resolution is very poor. Older Zeiss were nice. I will also say that the focus ring is a known weak point, the "clutch" goes out. Often. Accountants are running it now. The BEST scope I have seen is a Schmidt and Bender I have. I am told that 50 were made. I is small light and amazing. 15-60x60. I also like the Kiowa for the price. JMO

Kowa TSN 88mm Prominar. I've said all along you can't do better and not one customer who has purchased one has disagreed. And these are guys who've owned Zeiss and Swav.

Frank is right, at the end of the day you can't lose here with any of the top end makes, but here would be my current ranking:

1st: Kowa TSN 883/884
2nd: (Tie) Zeiss Diascope/Swarovski HD
3rd: Leica

Good info here, I think once you hit that price range there are no clear winners, no one product is going to be that above and beyond the others. Some have features that will push them over the top for an individuals needs. Obviously if you want a reticule in your spotting scope the options are cut down again. Weight may be an issue along with size. Ergonomics, style and speed of focus adjustment, etc. all play into a optics purchase. Sheer resolution power is not always the only criteria to judge them. I think we tend to forget that any optic at the high end is so much better than the low end stuff that we get too picky only concerning ourselves with the best resolution of optics not the best overall package.

I can say having dealt with zeiss, leica and swarovski customer service that swarovski crushes them hands down no contest. Swarovski even goes so far as to recommend you send your optics to them once a year (or whenever you like) for inspection/calibration/cleaning, for free as part of their warranty service. Over the years I've had them do this and several times they've replaced parts that were mere cosmetic issues to me for no charge, no questions asked. Several people I know have not been original owners with swarovksi gear and have been taken care of with swarovski no problems. Zeiss and Leica will not in my experience.

I keep hearing impressive things on the Kowa's I'm going to have to strive to check some of them out.

Hugh, because of the lack of interest in the Mil Dot eye piece Zeiss has pulled it from the US.

In fact one of mine is now living with Clint Smith because they are no longer available.

Nobody but me and maybe one other person bought them, so Zeiss yanked them. I think you might have known that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been told Zeiss is now only coating the external optics, not the internal. I cannot prove this, but can say that resolution is very poor. Older Zeiss were nice. </div></div>

Are you sure?
that would be a 2-3% loss of light transmission per lens that is only coated on one side....

i have a Leupold golden and love it especially the no questions asked lifetime warrant
i know the hot spotter in the fcsa 1,000 yard matches are the televue 72s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hugh, because of the lack of interest in the Mil Dot eye piece Zeiss has pulled it from the US.

In fact one of mine is now living with Clint Smith because they are no longer available.

Nobody but me and maybe one other person bought them, so Zeiss yanked them. I think you might have known that. </div></div>

I remember getting those two mil-dot eye peices for you, it took an act of congress.

#1 by a long stretch for tactical is the Hensoldt
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-Tactical-Spotting-Scopes-C1941.aspx

#1 for hunting and packing is Leica
http://swfa.com/Leica-Spotting-Scopes-C467.aspx

#1 Value is Kowa
http://swfa.com/Kowa-Spotters-C460.aspx

Honorable mention;
Kruger - http://swfa.com/Kruger-Spotting-Scopes-C2754.aspx
Optolyth - http://swfa.com/Optolyth-Spotting-Scopes-C480.aspx
Minox - http://swfa.com/Minox-Spotting-Scopes-C473.aspx

SheepHunt2006182.jpg

Two Zeiss Diascope 65T* FLs at work...I've had mine since 2003. Bullet proof piece of equipment has never let me down and I've used it hard.

+1 for the Kowa TSN 883. I picked mine up not long ago to replace the USO, and I couldn't be more pleased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kowa TSN 88mm Prominar. I've said all along you can't do better and not one customer who has purchased one has disagreed. And these are guys who've owned Zeiss and Swav.

Frank is right, at the end of the day you can't lose here with any of the top end makes, but here would be my current ranking:

1st: Kowa TSN 883/884
2nd: (Tie) Zeiss Diascope/Swarovski HD
3rd: Leica </div></div>

I bough the TSN 88 Prominar from Scott and compaired it to my Swarovski, well I kept the Kowa and sold the Swarovski

Hi, I am on a budget, how is the Leupold Golden Rings 15-40, the one without HD because I can't afford it.

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

I have owned the "Big Eyes" 25-40x100 from BigBinoculars.com. I was told about 25 years ago that they were East German artillery spotting glass. The early pairs had a little range finding deal on the edge. If the sun was behind you could tell who was shooting bronze, copper or Leadoly bullets in the 50 BMG. With no mirage one would have made a little money telling the difference between .338 & 7mm holes in IBS 1000 yard targets. The down side is that they weigh close to 70lbs with the tripod(wooden surveyor's) & take two trips from the truck to set up. I replaced the "Big Eyes" with a Swarovski 20-60x80......I was totally disappointed. Went back to the another pair of "Big Eyes" then I had problems lifting & carrying them (old age sucks). Replaced the "Big Eyes" with the Zeiss Diascope 20-60x85. Very, very pleased excellent glass. Old age kicked in again & I had trouble with looking through the single eye piece for extended time. Replaced the Zeiss with the Rogue River Super Scope which has a binocular eye piece & 120mm objective lense. If the weight isn't a problem then go for the "Big Eyes". I have never used better glass in my life. Next if you want to pick fly shit from pepper are the Rogue River's are slightly better than the Zeiss. However they do require a little setup time once you get to the range. The binocular eyepiece would not work well if they are to be used for highpower or f-class, that is where the angled eyepiece scopes come into play. If you desire ease of setup & some of the best glass going then get the Zeiss.
So if I had to pick one do-all scope it would be the 20-60x85 Zeiss.
Semper Fi

Your mom makes the best spotting scope...

This will be my new answer to any post containing the title "Who makes the best....."

Of the many I have used over the years, for budget I think a used Leica Televid or APO Televid is the way to go. There are enough of the Leicas in circulation that you can find them used at good prices (no I don't have any right now). The Bushnell Tactical is a great cheap spotter with a mildot recital. They have had 20% failuer rate though. If you have one of the 80% then you will probably love it. I like mine (no I don't have any in stock).