• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why AI?

Oh well in that case....

Nope...you're still the dude that came to an internet forum asking for hand-outs without doing your homework.
Almost makes it worse, as you SHOULD know better.

Hand outs? What hand out did I ask for? I asked what people are using these rifles for? What purpose they are filling for the folks who use them? What fucking homework are you talking about? If you want to wear clown shoes, I'll lace them up for you in front of the crowd. You might want to just back out of this conversation.
Andy.jpg

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Many buy them because it’s just simply a want. Also a proven system. Prefits are easy to come by. It’s a rugged/overbuilt system than most need but they can afford it and it works for them.

They’re not prs guns. Aside from the AT-X maybe. But that’s just the chassis. The action is still the same. So an impact will likely have bolt lift more suited to comp guns. But most of us here don’t care about prs and never plan to shoot it anyways

Realistically a savage 10 and Athlon optic can do everything a AI and ZCO can for most people.

Bog pod = RRS
Savage = AI
Athlon = ZCO
RCBS = 419 Zero

The list goes on. I’m not sure why anyone would care what others use. Just buy what you can afford and what your preference is.
Obviously you have not put your eye behind a ZCO before?

I appreciate all of the responses, sincerely, but I still don't think anyone has approached my actual question, other than maybe one person.

What do you do with them? I'm not suggesting that every gun is my safe has a purpose, because some just don't, but I keep them anyways. But before I spend $5k+ on a new rifle, (and I've been kicking it around), what in the hell are you guys using them for? Are you really tieing up that kind of money just to bang steel for fun? Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really asking. Is anyone hunting with them? Shooting any kind of matches well with them? Using them in some other way?
Seems like this goes without saying, there’s no mystery here. Its a robust long range precision rifle. You do the same thing with it you did with your other long range precision rifles.

Why buy an AI?

Serious question. They look cool, and I kinda want one just to play with, but what purpose do they serve, they don't seem like a good fit for prs (I've shot probably 7 matches, so I'm no authority on this), but I've only ever seen one or two, and never in the hands of a pro shooter. The barrel profiles are too lightweight I think without adding a pile of weight. They seem too heavy, long and bulky for any hunting setup other than sitting in a fixed position. Seems like a great fit for military/LE sniper duties, but that's a small group. So, what am I missing? Are you fellas buying $6k+ rifles just to bang steel? Someone tell me what I'm missing. Thanks fellas.
Sako TRG M10 is one choice.
For sure not as sexy as AI, but everything on around on the action, it is.
Not even close to popularity in the US, but think it is as good as AI if you compare it these two.
In EU there are countries like Estonia, and Finland that has chosen Sako TRG M10 in to a new sniper rifle system, and Canada too.
And i dont think it is difficult to a propper gun smith to do a change barrel for this rifle.
Trigger is by far one the best 2-stage trigger i have pulled.
Take a look one of these too.

Not even close to popularity in the US, but think it is as good as AI if you compare it these two.
In EU there are countries like Estonia, and Finland that has chosen Sako TRG M10 in to a new sniper rifle system, and Canada too.
And i dont think it is difficult to a propper gun smith to do a change barrel for this rifle.
I think those are way sexier than any AI.

Come shoot a Match. If you can stand being humbled you might learn something
I'm good. The range I shoot at has enough PRS shooters, possibly the biggest PRS style range in TX.. I rather not be around any of them. Most of them have almost no common sense whatsoever and have 0 clue about firearms safety. Plus, I don't want to buy a tempurpedic pillow to shoot PRS. lol

Trg's are legit as well. If prefit barrels were easier to come by I love that trigger too

I dont know, would the TRG line be more "legit" if it would offer the calibers that people more use in the US, than the military ones that it now only offers, exept the 6.5CM.
I love the action in TRG 22/42 and specially on the M10, it is butter smooth.
And i know a gentleman, who also loves Sako TRG action too, the sire Frank by him self.
Frank first rifle was a Sako TRG 21/22.

Yeah barrels. The old stocks breaking. And clip ons are their biggest draw backs

Nailed it....

Also love how people think you are larping cuz you might be smoking yotes at night... Aight bra I guess.
I am a former us army sniper. Went through 3 iterations of issue sniper rifles. Some of them were not that great for the role, but it was what we had. My comment probably includes some nuance that you didn't pick up: plenty of rifles are used for that purpose that aren't well suited for it. I did a training exercise with 10th group's sotic team and a bunch of police snipers from the greater Denver area back in about.....2011. Some of those guys had walmart 700's with $80 bushnell scopes and were called "police snipers". You don't know what you don't know, but I'd be careful kicking dirt in my face, I'm much better at this than you are, so don't be disrespectful.

Was this at Carson?

Because brand-loyal people will still waste a shitload of money on them for a status symbol, and because they believe they're magical, even though there are MUCH cheaper and better options out there.

And all the haters will be incoming shortly to flame me for expressing my own personal opinion because it made them butthurt.

take-my-money.gif

Reactions: FuhQ
Why AI? Things like...
  • Swapping barrels with an allen key, without a clamp or vise in 60-90 seconds
  • Changing bolt bodies on the AXSR from 308 to 300wm in 5 seconds
  • Solid folding stocks that fold over the bolt for a more compact rifle, not the other way.
  • Barrels that are simply chambered and threaded... Not needing blocks and other machined parts (Barrett, DTA etc.)
  • Good pre-fit barrels available off the shelf
  • Magazines that hold 10 rounds, are metal and are compact
  • High quality machining
I use them for:
  • Competition: Easily adaptable with weights, barrels, LOP etc. Bolt lift is heavy and can be disruptive however.
  • Hunting: Heavy but tough and tolerant of dirt, snow, water. Wont bend like a banana if you slip. My 20lb AXSR is the primary field rifle.
  • Practice: As above, accurate, fairly predictable and easy to work on.
I've owned and sold an AT and AXSA, now use an AXSR and AT-X.
Owned an AICS 1.0, 1.5, AXSA but now use AXSR and AT-X Chassis'.

Fan boy? No, just sick of messing around with inferior shit. I appreciate AI as a business (their history, experience and staff) they are good people with good intentions and have been supportive to me personally that I appreciate.

The market is full of outstanding options, there are so many amazing rifles and stocks available, buy and use what you want. Don't worry about everyone else.

For me, I bought an AX because I wanted the easy button (barrel swaps, available prefits, great 2-stage trigger, AW mags, sage green 🤤 etc).

Importantly, if I didn’t like it, the resale on AI’s are pretty amazing. Customs are harder to get rid of and it seems one suffers a worse “haircut” with this route.

Usage: I was planning on shooting prairie dogs this summer in 6br to compliment my 204/17 Hornet but my damn eyes both fell apart. Next year, I hope.

Maybe now that I know a little more about good actions and where to find prefits then I’d go that way. Didn’t know that stuff very well when I got the AI.

Anyway, that’s my story.

I appreciate all of the responses, sincerely, but I still don't think anyone has approached my actual question, other than maybe one person.

What do you do with them? I'm not suggesting that every gun is my safe has a purpose, because some just don't, but I keep them anyways. But before I spend $5k+ on a new rifle, (and I've been kicking it around), what in the hell are you guys using them for? Are you really tieing up that kind of money just to bang steel for fun? Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really asking. Is anyone hunting with them? Shooting any kind of matches well with them? Using them in some other way?

TBH at the end of the day while they're expensive they're no more costly than a decked out custom. I don't own an AI. I use their chassis with my Tempest. However to act like my Tempest build was well short of 5K would be laughable. It's also investing in the system to some degree. Much like the MRAD, SRS, and M10.

But yeah if you don't want to run through all the options of trying to figure what action, stock, and barrel you want, but want a comp ready rifle that will shoot with customs it's there.

OP

If your at a match, see if someone will let you fingerfuck/shoot their AI.

I think once you do you’ll be sold. If not, then a custom may be what you seek. But there’s so many options there these days, that’s a whole other thread.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway