• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why AI?

Mine is an AE mkiii so not as fast to swap barrels but still easy to do at home. When I got into long range shooting in the early 2000s the AW was the shit. Love the old school look and always wanted one. A friend offered this up to me a few years ago and I don't regret buying it.I hunt, shoot matches and just target shoot with mine.
20220512_184622.jpg
20210216_160434.jpg
20201206_154646.jpg

TBH at the end of the day while they're expensive they're no more costly than a decked out custom. I don't own an AI. I use their chassis with my Tempest. However to act like my Tempest build was well short of 5K would be laughable. It's also investing in the system to some degree. Much like the MRAD, SRS, and M10.

But yeah if you don't want to run through all the options of trying to figure what action, stock, and barrel you want, but want a comp ready rifle that will shoot with customs it's there.
True....my hunting rifle cost nearly twice what my ATX did. Also weighs 1/3 and is more accurate. This whole thread is just more poors bitching. Shoot what you want, if you need to save a bit longer...do so.

Why buy an AI?

Serious question. They look cool, and I kinda want one just to play with, but what purpose do they serve, they don't seem like a good fit for prs (I've shot probably 7 matches, so I'm no authority on this), but I've only ever seen one or two, and never in the hands of a pro shooter. The barrel profiles are too lightweight I think without adding a pile of weight. They seem too heavy, long and bulky for any hunting setup other than sitting in a fixed position. Seems like a great fit for military/LE sniper duties, but that's a small group. So, what am I missing? Are you fellas buying $6k+ rifles just to bang steel? Someone tell me what I'm missing. Thanks fellas.

Welp, took me a day to see this, so I couldn't get in here before the name calling.

I got hooked on "long range" shooting probably 20 years ago. Mid 2000's I had the customary Remington 700 5R and Savage 10 FP.

I was mesmerized by the GAPs, Surgeons, and AIs. I really wanted one of them, but was married to a frigging sloth of a worthless woman...so not enough money available to really get what I wanted when I was the sole bread winner. I resorted to shooting stuff that was good enough to keep me interested at least. However, I never stopped wanting an AI.

I finally broke down this year and got one, an AT-X. It was a back-and-forth between the AT and AT-X. I'm a sucker for swept bolts, and I've always loved the aesthetics of an AI action. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the little 46 erect dicks running down the sides of my rifle, but it wasn't enough of a deterrent that I spent my money elsewhere.

Up until that point I've had several trued 700s, a couple of FN SPRs (barrel work done by Matt Stewart - formerly of Surgeon Rifles...it "counts" 😄), and an Origin.

So, I'm loving my new AI...but there's a caveat: I'm not convinced that they are going to be any better than a comparable-cost custom. My AT-X is damn sure smoother than my SPRs...but it isn't more reliable, or accurate (aftermarket barrels on SPRs), or dare I say - robust. Another huge plus though to the barrel swaps on the AI.

If I had the money to get more AIs, I would. That being said; for the guy putting together a $3,500 custom on decent parts themselves - you aren't going to get your ass kicked on the line just because the other guy is shooting an AI.

My next build will probably be on another Origin LA in a Manners with a cut rifled barrel. TO ME that offers the best compromise of parts and cost.

However, I am probably done purchasing other SA rifles now that I have one that I can just swap a barrel on in 60 seconds.

Welp, took me a day to see this, so I couldn't get in here before the name calling.

I got hooked on "long range" shooting probably 20 years ago. Mid 2000's I had the customary Remington 700 5R and Savage 10 FP.

I was mesmerized by the GAPs, Surgeons, and AIs. I really wanted one of them, but was married to a frigging sloth of a worthless woman...so not enough money available to really get what I wanted when I was the sole bread winner. I resorted to shooting stuff that was good enough to keep me interested at least. However, I never stopped wanting an AI.

I finally broke down this year and got one, an AT-X. It was a back-and-forth between the AT and AT-X. I'm a sucker for swept bolts, and I've always loved the aesthetics of an AI action. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the little 46 erect dicks running down the sides of my rifle, but it wasn't enough of a deterrent that I spent my money elsewhere.

Up until that point I've had several trued 700s, a couple of FN SPRs (barrel work done by Matt Stewart - formerly of Surgeon Rifles...it "counts" 😄), and an Origin.

So, I'm loving my new AI...but there's a caveat: I'm not convinced that they are going to be any better than a comparable-cost custom. My AT-X is damn sure smoother than my SPRs...but it isn't more reliable, or accurate (aftermarket barrels on SPRs), or dare I say - robust. Another huge plus though to the barrel swaps on the AI.

If I had the money to get more AIs, I would. That being said; for the guy putting together a $3,500 custom on decent parts themselves - you aren't going to get your ass kicked on the line just because the other guy is shooting an AI.

My next build will probably be on another Origin LA in a Manners with a cut rifled barrel. TO ME that offers the best compromise of parts and cost.

However, I am probably done purchasing other SA rifles now that I have one that I can just swap a barrel on in 60 seconds.
FN missed the mark big time by not only ditching the SPR, but not offering it in the newer calibers.

I appreciate all of the responses, sincerely, but I still don't think anyone has approached my actual question, other than maybe one person.

What do you do with them? I'm not suggesting that every gun is my safe has a purpose, because some just don't, but I keep them anyways. But before I spend $5k+ on a new rifle, (and I've been kicking it around), what in the hell are you guys using them for? Are you really tieing up that kind of money just to bang steel for fun? Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really asking. Is anyone hunting with them? Shooting any kind of matches well with them? Using them in some other way?

Purely recreational target shooting here with mine man. Just like I do with my Wilson Combat and Les Baer 1911s, or old Colt and S&W pistols...yeah a Ruger GP100 will bang steel just as well, but a 40 year-old Python does it with sexiness. It's the same with some of my rifles and the AI.

I have hunting rigs in other cartridges that weigh 1/2 to 2/3 as much and are just as accurate, and I don't shoot matches. I just wanted an AI, and now I have one.

Why buy an AI?

. . . Seems like a great fit for military/LE sniper duties, but that's a small group. So, what am I missing? Are you fellas buying $6k+ rifles just to bang steel? Someone tell me what I'm missing. Thanks fellas.
I don't think you are missing anything. AI is not building match rifles, they are in the business of building real world combat weapons. If anyone chooses to use them for some other purpose so be it. Their main concern is real world combat and nothing more.

Just my 2 cents!

I don't think you are missing anything. AI is not building match rifles, they are in the business of building real world combat weapons. If anyone chooses to use them for some other purpose so be it. Their main concern is real world combat and nothing more.

Just my 2 cents!
Clearly you missed the whole AT-X release and it’s purpose of being used as a match rifle…

Why buy an AI?

Serious question. They look cool, and I kinda want one just to play with, but what purpose do they serve, they don't seem like a good fit for prs (I've shot probably 7 matches, so I'm no authority on this), but I've only ever seen one or two, and never in the hands of a pro shooter. The barrel profiles are too lightweight I think without adding a pile of weight. They seem too heavy, long and bulky for any hunting setup other than sitting in a fixed position. Seems like a great fit for military/LE sniper duties, but that's a small group. So, what am I missing? Are you fellas buying $6k+ rifles just to bang steel? Someone tell me what I'm missing. Thanks fellas.
Yes…..
an AI is literally…. The only thing @BurtG hasnt broke.

So it has to be good.

I think it comes down to which AI and what your using it for. Field matches, there are lots of AI's... I think at the nf elr match between our squad and the one before and after really half the rifles were AI's.

View attachment 8208179

For me the ai is a combination of things. I have ran just about every action on the market and most are very good and for most people I don't think an ai is right for the majority of their uses it's true. With that said.....

I love the og non comp trigger. Imo best trigger ever designed period next to the trg trigger. I have never had one fail they are drop safe and 0 creep if set up right. Comp trigger is another story.

The bolt and firing control system is the most reliable and easy to maintain out there imo. I love the 3 position safety and being able to field strip my bolt in 2 seconds if needed and I never have in a match. Also makes doing reloading tasks easier such as finding the lands.

Imo the ai feeds everything but the Gucci short prs cartridges very reliably in all conditions. Hard stop.
I'm sure someone has experienced a failure but in my years running an ai, I can't think of time I have had any issues feeding or extracting the cartridge ai designed for it again
.. 6gt not happening without a bunch of work.

AX family forward are set up to run night vision from the get go, not an after thought and they do this extremely well.

Wintac bartlein barrels are some of the best mass-produced barrels ever. Never seen one not shoot lights out and I got a golf bag full of them now.

Return to zero for barrel swaps is probably the 2nd best system out there. It's fast and repeatable if you control your process.

My axmc will never leave the safe except for another axmc. The ability to go from 6.5cm to 338lm in less than 2 min is awesome.

Imo they just run in all nasty conditions and ai mags are the best out there. Never covered it up once in the rain and mud not a single feed/extract issue. I saw lots of guys with impacts etc having to pull their bolts and clean between stages and several guys were single feeding there 300prc and 300nm too... Not the AI's.

View attachment 8208181

If I cared about winning the prs I would have a prs built rifle...

If I cared about hunting big horns at 10k' I would have a sub 10lb hunting rifle

But if I had one gun that could be used for everything and that is flexible from short action to magnum and ultra reliable.... It's an AI in either axmc or axsr

But you do you I could careless what the peasants run these days
Lies. If you cared about reliable, you’d be running a Nightforce sir.
#CheckAndMate
#Boom
#RotatingOccularJustRotatedYourJeepUpsidedownSon
#FreeQCStickerLyfe

OP, your observations are basically correct…AI’s are phenomenal mil/LE sniper rifles. Their are better choices for gun games and hunting. I run a 16” AT-LE at work and it’s the most ridiculously boring gun I’ve ever owned or been issued. It’s stupid reliable, never looses zero, shoots the same POI with open air/barrier rounds, and will produce 5/8” 5rd groups (Hornady TAP) time after time (sub .5 with Federal but I’m issued Hornady). Whenever I attend training across the state or region I see quite a few guys constantly messing with their rifles (Typically some R700 clone). My AI comes out of the trunk and just does what it does EVERY SINGLE TIME. All that being said, even if money was no object, I’d opt for a different rifle for non LE/MIL purposes. And as mentioned previously in other posts, they don’t require gunsmithing and are easy to acquire parts for. I also appreciate the folding stock and user adjustability. These are nice features for a rifle that will have multiple/different sized owners over its lifespan.

Biggest difference is reliability to me. A member once wrote a few very nice words on the TRG/AIs.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-sako-trg-22-and-observations-on-gear.167144/

If youre on a range in good weather conditions theres not much to worry about. My REM 700 based custom failed in harsh winter conditions exactly like 75% of the ones in the report. We dont have the amount of custom 700 actions readily available in germany. Lone peak, impact etc. However, same safety, same issues, water will melt and flow inside. Seen it happen on a deviant over here, great actions, maybe nice in dusty conditions from what i heared and read on the hide. In harsh winter conditions they are prone to failure from what i experienced. A custom remmy is still a remmy, no TRG nor an AI.

I'd say all those customs will fail long time before a TRG or AI will. Thats my experience at least. Had Rem 700 customs, Tikkas etc. Calculating the costs pimping them and the reduced price when selling i could have easily bought one of those 2 earlier and would have been done. No customisation needed.

If you complain about weight when hunting improve your fitness. After hunting i need to get back another 30kg of meat, thats the bigger issue compared to a rifle.

At least i noticed, sold all the crap and now own a TRG and 2 AIs. Next TRG incoming next year.

Nothing wrong optimizing your gear for prs when those customs will do, different application. Just dont tell me my AIAW is too heavy while lugging around 23lb weighted customs + 20lb of different sand bags in various proportions attached to the rifle😋

The really important question to me is...TRG or Accuracy International 😆
Very hard decision...

Cheers from Germany

Daniel

20230622_161403.jpg

If I had a duty use, I pick an A.I every time. Why? It is built solid, is reliable and it works every time.

For the rest of us not using an A.I for duty use, it is probably a hobby. And if you are a blue blooded American male that takes pride in your hobby and the tools that you use, why not pick up the best, rather than experiment with the rest?

Life is already short, quality range time is even shorter. If I am going take the effort to spend time at the range, with my son, friends, etc, I want to maximize the experience. And if I can afford to get a tier 1 optic/rifle/bipod/ammo and make things more enjoyable, I will do it every time.

Outside of a Tier 1 duty use, does anyone “need” an A.I? Probably not. Does my A.I complete my collection and shower me with pride every time I shoot it? Hell yeah!

And I love it every time I crush my son on a shooting challenge with my A.I and he proceeds to say: “Dad, you paid to win with your A.I.” My response? “Hell yes I did and I love every minute of it!”

Last edited:
AI's are great rifles.

But they are designed to be a "one sized fits most" rifle for mil and le applications. Perfect for a spec'ed off the shelf rifle that's precise and designed to work in adverse environments for extended periods.

They aren't great comp rifles, they were never designed nor intended to be. The ATX chassis moves it in the right direction for that, but the heart of the rifle is still not designed for that role. Bolt lift is heavy, trigger is mediocre, and I don't like the ergos.

AI's used to be much more reliable than customs, but that isn't the case today. Customs have come a long ways, no longer are custom rifles utilizing modified BR parts. The reliability argument doesn't hold water today, not with the quality of parts available for customs.

The obvious advantage to customs is that you can get a rifle built exactly how you want, specifically to your preferences, uses and to your body. And you can build a much more optimized comp rifle if that's your goal.

I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for getting an AI. Very well built robust rifles.

As someone that’s owned multiple AI’s (AXMC, AI/AO, and now ATX) plus a Curtis and now CDG in pretty much any chassis combo you can think of, I still really like the AI. Don’t get me wrong I love my Curtis too and really enjoying the CDG as well so far.
On a PRS note, I did shoot my AI at the K&M 2 day match a couple months ago and I didn’t feel really held back it it. PRS barricade I got clean in about 48 seconds. I know not blazing fast, but I don’t think I would’ve gone much faster with my customs. Is the ATX perfect for PRS? No but it’s certainly not bad, and if you’re at a range like K&M where all the props are solid then I think it’s fine. My AI has smoothed out a lot compared to when I first got it, but it did take a good amount of work.
On reason I still really like it is the newer PRS chassis (ACC elite, C4, matrix pro, etc.) are all starting to come in non folding options. I fly with my rifle a lot and having a folder so it fits in a smaller pelican to me is great!
Are the other chassis better from a pure comp perspective? Absolutely.
Had AI gotten input from shooters outside of AI they could’ve avoided a lot of the early revisions. Hopefully for an ATX2 or whatever the next big redesign is they can make the improvements needed to make it a top contender in the comp chassis area.
Also, I do like the quick barrel feature. My Curtis has the same, but I think the longer tenon really helps consistency on the AI. I do take multiple barrels to the range sometimes and it’s way easier than a vice and wrench.
AW/AX mags, best in business IMO and obviously the AI runs them the best with no work. I use AW in my Curtis, but they’ve definitely needed tweaking depending on chassis combo. So far the CDG hasn’t needed any mag tweaks at all outside of mag latch height which with good modern chassis isn’t too much of an issue.
All this to say yes some of us do use AI for comps. I did hunt with a 20lbs AXMC and did a write up on it here years ago. And also many people do use them for just range banging. I can also setup my ATX for NRLH under 16lbs. And ELR they’re decently popular cause they’re readily available and the double stack mags I think are the only ones on the market for magnums.

Why buy a Ferrari when a Corolla will get you there? Cause it looks way better.

Did you get your rifle slicked up nice? If so, what did it need?
Pretty sure it was just too much lube combined with sitting in a snow rain mix at a match. Still rain. Was just sticky

Pretty sure it was just too much lube combined with sitting in a snow rain mix at a match. Still rain. Was just sticky

I had an issue once where my bolt was just too big for the bore. Not an AI….

As someone that’s owned multiple AI’s (AXMC, AI/AO, and now ATX) plus a Curtis and now CDG in pretty much any chassis combo you can think of, I still really like the AI. Don’t get me wrong I love my Curtis too and really enjoying the CDG as well so far.
On a PRS note, I did shoot my AI at the K&M 2 day match a couple months ago and I didn’t feel really held back it it. PRS barricade I got clean in about 48 seconds. I know not blazing fast, but I don’t think I would’ve gone much faster with my customs. Is the ATX perfect for PRS? No but it’s certainly not bad, and if you’re at a range like K&M where all the props are solid then I think it’s fine. My AI has smoothed out a lot compared to when I first got it, but it did take a good amount of work.
On reason I still really like it is the newer PRS chassis (ACC elite, C4, matrix pro, etc.) are all starting to come in non folding options. I fly with my rifle a lot and having a folder so it fits in a smaller pelican to me is great!
Are the other chassis better from a pure comp perspective? Absolutely.
Had AI gotten input from shooters outside of AI they could’ve avoided a lot of the early revisions. Hopefully for an ATX2 or whatever the next big redesign is they can make the improvements needed to make it a top contender in the comp chassis area.
Also, I do like the quick barrel feature. My Curtis has the same, but I think the longer tenon really helps consistency on the AI. I do take multiple barrels to the range sometimes and it’s way easier than a vice and wrench.
AW/AX mags, best in business IMO and obviously the AI runs them the best with no work. I use AW in my Curtis, but they’ve definitely needed tweaking depending on chassis combo. So far the CDG hasn’t needed any mag tweaks at all outside of mag latch height which with good modern chassis isn’t too much of an issue.
All this to say yes some of us do use AI for comps. I did hunt with a 20lbs AXMC and did a write up on it here years ago. And also many people do use them for just range banging. I can also setup my ATX for NRLH under 16lbs. And ELR they’re decently popular cause they’re readily available and the double stack mags I think are the only ones on the market for magnums.

Why buy a Ferrari when a Corolla will get you there? Cause it looks way better.
AI could never be a top contender in nrl/prs unless they completely redesign their action and eliminate the extreme forces required for bolt opening/closing. Even if they did this, likely will get passed over for a custom 90° 700 clone. I like my atx, but when chambering a round, bolt closure weight is so heavy it'll completely move the target out my FOV and throw my can't off by 10° in process, unacceptable and will cost you time/points if you care about that sort of thing. The AI isn't a Ferrari, it's a Mack truck.

AI could never be a top contender in nrl/prs unless they completely redesign their action and eliminate the extreme forces required for bolt opening/closing. Even if they did this, likely will get passed over for a custom 90° 700 clone. I like my atx, but when chambering a round, bolt closure weight is so heavy it'll completely move the target out my FOV and throw my can't off by 10° in process, unacceptable and will cost you time/points if you care about that sort of thing. The AI isn't a Ferrari, it's a Mack truck.
Mine was terrible at this when I first got it I agree. But looking at triggercam footage with it compared to my Curtis it’s not really a huge difference. I’ve put some grease in a couple different areas that seemingly made a big improvement on mine. Will it ever be a Fuzion? No absolutely not, but it won’t be that much worse than a Zeus or a Curtis.
I also recently put wings on mine similar to baker wings for stability and it’s helped as well.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Ewww.
If your target leaves your FOV when you run your bolt, you’re either at 40x magnification for a 25yd target or you don’t know how to run a bolt…and more than likely your head moves when you run it and close your eye when the shot breaks.

After about 1k rds, the AXSR is pretty damn smooth.

Mine was terrible at this when I first got it I agree. But looking at triggercam footage with it compared to my Curtis it’s not really a huge difference. I’ve put some grease in a couple different areas that seemingly made a big improvement on mine. Will it ever be a Fuzion? No absolutely not, but it won’t be that much worse than a Zeus or a Curtis.
I also recently put wings on mine similar to baker wings for stability and it’s helped as well.
I've only put bout 600 through mine, and I have lubed it. It cycles smooth, just vastly different than my fuzion, archimedes, CDG, Impact, Tl3, origin, pretty much ALL my actions. There should be no cock on close when there is that much effort to open a bolt, and only half cock the action? Hard to explain it, it just feels like I drank the kool-aid and it taste more like old crow than it does the Blantons or Weller I paid for.

I full have my flame suite on cuz I know the AI fan boys run deep and hard here, but aside the quick change barrel features, I think the action leaves a lot to be desired.

I've only put bout 600 through mine, and I have lubed it. It cycles smooth, just vastly different than my fuzion, archimedes, CDG, Impact, Tl3, origin, pretty much ALL my actions. There should be no cock on close when there is that much effort to open a bolt, and only half cock the action? Hard to explain it, it just feels like I drank the kool-aid and it taste more like old crow than it does the Blantons or Weller I paid for.

I full have my flame suite on cuz I know the AI fan boys run deep and hard here, but aside the quick change barrel features, I think the action leaves a lot to be desired.

AI actions are heavy and clunky.

I've handled a lot of them, much prefer the feeling of a custom. This of course is my personal preference.

I don't think anyone is buying an AI based on how the action feels.

Yea the notchy feeling on the close is the main issue. I’ve got a couple thousand rounds thru mine and probably double that in dryfire so yours may get a little better. I will also say I would sit in front of the TV for a few hours and just have the rifle on my lap opening and closing the bolt just up and down a lot and hard.
I agree it’s not a nice well timed PRS action. My CDG is definitely amazing in feeling compared, but outside of competing for top 10 I don’t think it’ll hold back mid pack shooter much. I don’t see anyone saying man I finished 67th with my ATX but would’ve finished 10th if I had my impact all things being otherwise equal.

Yea the notchy feeling on the close is the main issue. I’ve got a couple thousand rounds thru mine and probably double that in dryfire so yours may get a little better. I will also say I would sit in front of the TV for a few hours and just have the rifle on my lap opening and closing the bolt just up and down a lot and hard.
I agree it’s not a nice well timed PRS action. My CDG is definitely amazing in feeling compared, but outside of competing for top 10 I don’t think it’ll hold back mid pack shooter much. I don’t see anyone saying man I finished 67th with my ATX but would’ve finished 10th if I had my impact all things being otherwise equal.
I'd be thrilled to finish 67th.

Do they just run a vastly heavier striker spring than most, for 100% ignition reliability?

Do they just run a vastly heavier striker spring than most, for 100% ignition reliability?
And on that note my terminus 223 fails to fire now and then. Joel says it has to be the ammo. Whatever. It does it with multiple brands

Reactions: diggler1833
And on that note my terminus 223 fails to fire now and then. Joel says it has to be the ammo. Whatever. It does it with multiple brands

I'd look at firing pin protrusion first and if that checks than more spring is the likely solution.

If it is not protruding far enough take it apart to see if something got in that is preventing it from having full protrusion.

Reactions: BurtG
Start by taking all lube off the striker and inside the bolt body. Oil/grease can rob a lot of velocity.

• Love
I currently have 3 of them-- 2x AXSA & 1x AXMC (and previously had 2x AE MK3s and 2x AT along with an R700 in an AICS) but I'm under no illusions they're "the best" for everything. Al has always been a "one size fits most" option like @kthomas said, and if the AI ergos worked for you, good... if not, too bad, as there used to be no other stock options. Al ergos have always felt pretty good to me so I've always been ok with them, but I know others that don't get along with Al ergos. At least now you have a couple of options like the ATX, Vision, and MPA chassis.

Al bolts have always been rather, shall we say, "industrial" feeling. They're heavy and clunky, but feel very solid. I actually like the extremely positive feeling of them, but I'll admit that the heavier and clunkier bolt cycles does take more work and attention on your part not to disturb your sight picture and point of aim compared to an aftermarket R700 action that are often much, much lighter and smoother when it comes to bolt lift, and that's a big deal for some buyers/uses.

Years ago Al used to have the advantage of they just worked correctly out of the box (especially with AW mags), prefit barrels were available, and they were reliable, while many "put it together yourself" options often had feeding issues, ignition issues, etc. Also, 10+ years ago almost nobody was offering prefits for R700 or aftermarket actions as the action to bolt face dimensions weren't controlled all that tightly at the time. However, In the last several years all that has changed and aftermarket actions are now far more reliable and are held to tighter tolerances so prefits are a thing and available everywhere. Another thing that's changed is many more aftermarket actions are now cut for and can reliably run AW mags, and that was always one of the biggest advantages that Al had. Many of the advantages that Al held 10-15 years ago aren't exclusive to Al anymore.

I can take or leave the QC barrel on the newer Als. If you only have the money for 1 rifle and want to have a bunch of barrels, it works great, and the Al QC barrel setup is probably one of the best QC barrel systems on the market today IMO. Personally, I still think torquing the barrel onto the action like on the older AE & AW is a more stable and reliable attachment method-- years ago I tested tightening the barrel on my QC AT to 55 ft-lb before torquing the QC screw compared to the barrel just tightened by hand or snugged with a strap wrench, and actually noticed a small improvement in group size on the torqued barrel when smacking the barrel with the palm of my hand between every shot (keep in mind the AW and AE barrel torque is 110 ft-lb.) Even though you can quickly change barrels on a newer Al, I hate having to adjust zero when swapping barrels and it always seems like every time I take the rifle out of the safe I want to use the barrel that's not currently installed... hence why I have 2 AXSA's, I got tired of constantly switching between 2 barrels and adjusting the zero on the scope turrets, so now I have 2 of them in different calibers and they're both ready to go at all times.

One thing I will say is Als still hold their value quite well based on reputation and name recognition. In my experience you'll lose less money selling a used Al than a used "I built it myself" custom-- and if you bought your Al used in the first place you'll often break even when you go to sell it. (To be fair, the same value retention also seems to apply to a complete build by a well known 'smith.) I'll still recommend an Al to someone without hesitation, especially if they just want to buy something and have it work right out of the box-- but I'll highly recommend they need to test drive one first to see if they can live with the ergos, trigger, and bolt feel because you're pretty much locked into those.

Lately I've been wanting different stock ergos better optimized for specific uses as well as wanting actions with lighter and smoother bolt lifts, and I have to say I've been very happy with the different stock and action options I've built and tried in the last couple of years (TL3, Impact, Archimedes, Coup de Grace)-- I'm actually considering parting with my 6 dasher AXSA and building a second ARC CDG/Manners TCS combo in 6 dasher. The CDG bolt cycle just feels like butter compared to the Al, and that's something that appeals to me more now than it did just a few years back. It also feeds perfect from AW mags, and prefits are readily available. But then I realize I'll probably just build another CDG in addition to the AXSA, because I don't know if I can bring myself to sell the AXSA as I still really, really like it, LOL.

The only thing I want AI to do is come out with a damn 223 platform.

That’s the one drawback. I know you can get bolts made, but if AI came out with a 223 AT-X I’d buy one tomorrow.

Regarding the official Al 223 conversion since it was mentioned... even though Al hinted at an official 223 and short mag conversion several years ago, I'm not sure they'll ever release the 223 conversion (a long wait for parts or new things is also an AI "feature".) I have one of Gilbert/Enrique's 223 conversions and like it, but after using it a couple of years it's obvious the large diameter Al bolt and action feed ramp geometry aren't really ideal for small diameter 223 cases-- especially with a single stack AICS 223 mag. If Al wants the 223 conversion to happen they're going to need to do some voodoo magic and come up with a double stack 223 magazine that works, and it's going to be a chore to get a double stack 223 magazine to have the rounds presented high enough to be caught by the bolt face for proper feeding but also keeps the feedlips far enough apart and low enough so they don't rub the large diameter bolt body. I'll be happy (and surprised) if AI ever releases their 223 conversion, as AI mentioned they won't offer it unless it runs 100%, and I'm guessing the reason we haven't seen it for sale yet is they're still working on it. Making 223 happen in the AXMC and AXSR is only going to be more difficult with the even larger bolt diameter, larger diameter tenon and breech face, and lower feed ramps.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
I used to have an AW bought in 2010 and initially the bolt lift was a little rough. I took 1000 grit sandpaper for metal and smoothed up the cocking cams on the bolt. Just a few passes, not enough to affect the heat treatment of the surface and it both lightened and smoothed up the bolt tremendously.

I’ve read they made an AW in 223 called the Varmiter. I’d love to have one. Never seen ons. Prolly sell for $20k or something ridiculous

They did make at least one 223 AW varminter. It's still with AI, Scott with AINA was shooting it a while back, and I believe he posted a pic or two. He was the one that said AI won't offer a 223 conversion unless it's 100% reliable, and they weren't at that point yet.

My 223 conversion from Gilbert/Enrique runs about 95%. Because Enrique chose to use a conical breech to aid in feeding the small diameter 223 cases into the chamber, the front lugs are slightly set back from the bolt nose to provide clearance for the conical breech on the barrel. Occasionally the bolt nose will pass over the case but the forward 6 o'clock bolt lug that's slightly set back will snag and strip the round out of the mag, then it hangs up when trying to chamber because the case rim is trapped under the bolt nose. You have to back the bolt off slightly so the case can pop up, then try again and it feeds.

Having the case sit a little higher in the mag would fix it, but the feed lips on the mag already slightly rub the bolt body so you really can't adjust them to let the round sit a little higher in relation to the bolt. If the forward 6 o'clock bolt lug was flush with the bolt nose I think that would fix the issue, but I don't believe that would work as the forward lugs need to be set back slightly from the bolt nose to allow clearance to the conical breech Enrique used to help the small diameter 223 rounds feed into the chamber.

The key to getting 223 to run reliably in an AX/AT is going to be making a mag that presents the small diameter 223 cases high enough to be reliably stripped out of the mag by the bolt nose but also not have the feed lips interfere with the large diameter AI bolt body.

While I still like the 223 conversion on my AX, I will say my other 223 on an Archimedes action feeds far more smoothly and is 100% reliable.

Last edited: