• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why did Marines go from M70 Win to M700 Rem?

That is what the M-40 should have been!

I thought and have had different rifles and I believe this is my keeper. I picked up two PBR's as a base and once the first gets in and I grow a third Kidney, may do the other but a tad shorter and lighter profile.

Blame Weird One for digging up this thread.

But since beating dead horses is so much fun...(Pun)

The reason the Marines got dragged Kicking and Cursing into using the 700 is due to one singular factor: Money.

The Army finally stopped circlejerking about fighting a "European land war" and figured out that it needed snipers. So they looked around for the best bargin on mass-produced target rifles. Remington won with the lowest bid.

End of story.

There is a lot of unneeded hate for the Post-64 Model 70 actions that comes from it being a "pretender to the throne" that the original M70 was. On it's own, the Push-feed M70 is a good action. It has the good design elements of the M70 receiver, safety, and trigger, and extractor setup. If it came out again today as an action under a different name, it would be quite all right.

I have one of the newer FN SPR's, and a Pre-64 hunting rifle. The only difference I can notice between the two is that the trigger on the SPR is made from a casting, wheras the M70 trigger is not. I am sure there are other things too, but seeing how well the current FN actions do, I am not too concerned.

From an ameatur gunsmith perspective, rebarreling the Pushfeed 64 actions is as easy as they come. Cut some threads, cut the chamber, and then chamfer the breech, and you're good to go. Pre 64s require an extractor cut. 700's require a recess cut into the breach for the bolt face.

There is a lot of unneeded hate for the Post-64 Model 70 actions that comes from it being a "pretender to the throne" that the original M70 was. On it's own, the Push-feed M70 is a good action. It has the good design elements of the M70 receiver, safety, and trigger, and extractor setup. If it came out again today as an action under a different name, it would be quite all right.

I have one of the newer FN SPR's, and a Pre-64 hunting rifle. The only difference I can notice between the two is that the trigger on the SPR is made from a casting, wheras the M70 trigger is not. I am sure there are other things too, but seeing how well the current FN actions do, I am not too concerned.

From an ameatur gunsmith perspective, rebarreling the Pushfeed 64 actions is as easy as they come. Cut some threads, cut the chamber, and then chamfer the breech, and you're good to go. Pre 64s require an extractor cut. 700's require a recess cut into the breach for the bolt face.

I agree. My two post '63 Winchester 70's are tack drivers. One in .308 Norma and the other in 6mm Ackley. Very stable 1k rifles.