• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why does everyone do this?

308sniper147

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2013
Huntsville, AL
Before I start, I would like to say this is not a rant, or a knock on people who do this. I am just curious.
Inevitably you will see atleast one person on every thread that has a "funny" aspect to it say "I spit my (insert drink here) on my computer" or something along those lines. I have a hard time believing that so many people are taking a sip of there drink while still looking at the computer reading, at just the right time where that would actually happen, so I guess my question is why has that became a stigma to do/say? Why would you not just say "this part was hilarious (insert line in video/post that was funny)"

Again not knocking the people that have said it, I am just curious.

Andrew

I wouldn't put it in the realm of impossibility.. There's many a folk.. get to work.. take a d&*p, drink a coffee, take a second d^&p, have another cup of coffee.. maybe later a soda. the whole time dodgin their boss peckin away on SH.. ya never know

I wouldn't put it in the realm of impossibility.. There's many a folk.. get to work.. take a d&*p, drink a coffee, take a second d^&p, have another cup of coffee.. maybe later a soda. the whole time dodgin their boss peckin away on SH.. ya never know

I guess I didn't consider that, because I actually work when I'm at work lol.

I'll add to the "why does everyone..." list with 2 more.
I always see people post a reply "tag" or "tag for later" when all they had to do is click "thread tools" above the first post and click subscribe.
Then in the PX why post "PM Sent"? Unless you're saying "I'll take it" just go ahead and send your PM, posting that just bumps it to the top where someone else can claim it.

As for the drink issue, I could see it happening too.

I always see people post a reply "tag" or "tag for later" when all they had to do is click "thread tools" above the first post and click subscribe.
Then in the PX why post "PM Sent"? Unless you're saying "I'll take it" just go ahead and send your PM, posting that just bumps it to the top where someone else can claim it.

I should clarify a little. I do not doubt that it happens every once in awhile, and I am sure it does, but I can't wrap my head around the frequency at which people say it.

I have always interpreted it as hyperbole - i.e. an exaggeration to make a point. In general, hyperboles increase in impact if they are somewhat plausible or conceivable to the reading audience.

I have always interpreted it as hyperbole - i.e. an exaggeration to make a point. In general, hyperboles increase in impact if they are somewhat plausible or conceivable to the reading audience.

This is similar to my thought process. Just people exaggerating what actually occurred.

^^^^^THIS!!. I get that on the old forum you had to do this but this isn't the old forum anymore. Whenever someone posts "tag for later" on a thread I have subscribed to it appears in my subscription list alerting me to a new post. It blows to have wasted the time looking at the thread and see that the only thing the person wrote is "tag" because they are ignorant of how to properly use the forum features.

Myself, I do the "pm sent" to show the seller and any other potential buyer a somewhat legitimate "time stamp" out in the open so that there is no bullshit about "who came first". There are (were?) some here who went off on a tangent about things, so I eliminate the possibility. If that is an issue, show me how?

Myself, I do the "pm sent" to show the seller and any other potential buyer a somewhat legitimate "time stamp" out in the open so that there is no bullshit about "who came first". There are (were?) some here who went off on a tangent about things, so I eliminate the possibility. If that is an issue, show me how?

I have to say I do the "pm sent" thing as well.. Lol

No issue guys, just something that makes me scratch my head, it gives the post a free bump to the top. Carry on

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Before I start, I would like to say this is not a rant, or a knock on people who do this. I am just curious.
Inevitably you will see atleast one person on every thread that has a "funny" aspect to it say "I spit my (insert drink here) on my computer" or something along those lines. I have a hard time believing that so many people are taking a sip of there drink while still looking at the computer reading, at just the right time where that would actually happen, so I guess my question is why has that became a stigma to do/say? Why would you not just say "this part was hilarious (insert line in video/post that was funny)"

Again not knocking the people that have said it, I am just curious.

Andrew

It doesn't get really good until you can talk about the way the fizzing Coke made it past you sinuses and covered the keyboard of your computer.

I do the PM sent thing cuz I know that when I post stuff for sale, I subscribe to the thread so i get an alert when anyone posts

^^^^^THIS!!. I get that on the old forum you had to do this but this isn't the old forum anymore. Whenever someone posts "tag for later" on a thread I have subscribed to it appears in my subscription list alerting me to a new post. It blows to have wasted the time looking at the thread and see that the only thing the person wrote is "tag" because they are ignorant of how to properly use the forum features.

Consider me educated and thanks! This will make life much easier.

I do the PM sent thing cuz I know that when I post stuff for sale, I subscribe to the thread so i get an alert when anyone posts

This makes no sense though, when you post stuff for sale you're the original poster and you will get notifications when someone replies. As for subscribing to threads, see my previous post, you can easily subscribe without posting a reply

This makes no sense though, when you post stuff for sale you're the original poster and you will get notifications when someone replies. As for subscribing to threads, see my previous post, you can easily subscribe without posting a reply

Another reason for doing so is that some people don't check their email religiously or login every time they come here. They can tell if they got a response just by finding the thread and checking.

I have to say I do the "pm sent" thing as well.. Lol

FWIW, the old board software included a flashing winged envelope to indicate that you had a new PM. Unless you have email notification om, it's pretty subtle and you might not immediately notice that you have a new PM. So, perhaps people who make offers to the sellers (or who ask questions for clarification) are hoping that they'll notice that their threads have bopped to the top and thus see the PM note?

I'd like to add something also....

Why do some people, who are the first to respond to a thread really need to quote the op? Am I too assume they might be talking to someone else in a different thread. That drives me fricking nut's..

I use tag so I can come back to the thread easily when I want, and not get bombarded with alerts every time someone posts something with no relevant content. It's also easier with Tapatalk to just go to participated posts.

I'd like to add something also....

Why do some people, who are the first to respond to a thread really need to quote the op? Am I too assume they might be talking to someone else in a different thread. That drives me fricking nut's..

They don't necessarily know that they're gonna be the first ones to hit the post button and they'd like to make it clear exactly what they're responding to. When everything that we do online is written it isn't always easy to be perfectly clear, as we don't have tone of voice, facial expressions, and gesticulations to go on to round out what's being communicated. As a result, folks can fly off the handle, so I see it as a "better safe than sorry" thing.

I laughed so hard that I spit out my teeth!

And I don't have false teeth.

Is that too much??

I use tag so I can come back to the thread easily when I want, and not get bombarded with alerts every time someone posts something with no relevant content. It's also easier with Tapatalk to just go to participated posts.

Please tell me you're joking? You do know that in your subscription list there is a box you can check on the right if you don't want notifications/alerts.

opisaphaggot_zpsf8720dfa.gif