• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

why does no one us 30-06

c4boom

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2013
i was just wondering as i am new to the world of long range center fire don't get me wrong i can hit 300 yards with a 22 no problem but i have always used my 30-06 for hunting with open sights. Just wondering why it is not more popular? it does have a very large diversity of rounds and you can get surplus for the Persians that is ok for just practice

There are plenty who use it. Though there is a move to 6mm-6.5mm for much of long range shooting. Cheaper to load and less recoil.

With modern powders and projectiles, the 30-06 remains a good choice.

I use it, and like it very much. As far as recoil, mine wears a Little Bastard brake that takes care of any recoil issues. I'm no expert on exterior ballistics, but I'm sure it's a bit above the 308 without any drawbacks. As far as being cheaper to reload, it's very little difference compared to the 6.5, 6 MM to make me not chose it. In all fairness, I do own two 6.5s and also like them very much. In short, there's nothing wrong with the old trusty 30-06

Mainly because there isn't a whole lot of advantage over the 308. when most people are looking for something better than the 308 they tend to want the best ballistics they can get with the least amount of recoil and the 30-06 doesn't really fit into that category.

Really? How so? I shoot 190s at 2935 FPS out of my 25" barreled 06. I think that's significantly more then ANY 308.

No doubt that it is a ballistic advantage over the standard 308 but compare that same type of hot load to a 280, 284, 6.5-06, 6.5-284 and you get 10-20" less drift at 1000. So those looking for a ballistic advantage usually don't stop halfway and settle on the 30-06 unless they want to shoot mil-surp.

Not to stir up a hornets nest but there is some data suggesting shorter, fatter, cases improve accuracy somewhat. This was discussed some years ago and I went so far as to order an out of print magazine that had a whole article on the subject. Not sure if it will show up in a search after the changeover of the site but there may be more info there. This factoid does not take away from the other explanations given and may or may not even have been a factor in the decline of '06 popularity. I'm just letting you know.

What I see is, you have to go to a long action, and once you do that, there are a lot of other choices.

Not that .30-06 is bad.

Not to stir up a hornets nest but there is some data suggesting shorter, fatter, cases improve accuracy somewhat. This was discussed some years ago and I went so far as to order an out of print magazine that had a whole article on the subject. Not sure if it will show up in a search after the changeover of the site but there may be more info there. This factoid does not take away from the other explanations given and may or may not even have been a factor in the decline of '06 popularity. I'm just letting you know.

123Nick had posted a link with real world testing on that subject.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/04/308-win-vs-30-06-match-results-may-surprise-you/

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

.30 calibers are just too much bullet. We're slowly figuring that out. To get a .30 to work well, you want it in front of a big case, and that's a ton of recoil that's just not necessary. The optimum is closer to a 6.5mm bullet. I keep waiting for someone to make some good .25 caliber heavies - that should be interesting too.

I also don't believe the short-fat thing. That started with the 6mm PPC in benchrest as far as I can tell. It was a funny looking round back in the day, shot like crazy and everyone just sort of assumed short, fat cases were the ticket. But I believe they are more accurate because the capacity of the case is more appropriate for the bullet and there is less recoil - not because they are short and fat. If you look at recent trends, it's been to take a .308 case, shorten it and put a smaller bullet in. The result is a stubby looking round that shoots. But I'm not sure we'd do that if there was, for example, a long version of the 7.62x39 case that we could use instead. I wish there was, because such a thing would be interesting. In fact, one might argue that the big bases of short rounds is a bad thing because it increases bolt thrust. Food for thought.

The 30-06 not popular? Don't mention that to all the Garand, 1903/A3/A4 shooters who fire it in CMP competitions. And if you happen to take a look at what's going on in the Vintage Sniper Rifle matches, you'll see the old '06 doing some damn fine shooting out of those old war horses. I just wish I could find some damn 4064 so I could load more ammo for my Garand !

HRF

I will admit that I am old fashioned when it comes to a lot of things and when it comes to calibers I am truly that. I love the .30 cals even though the 6.5s are probably better. I will eventually get a 6.5 but right now I am happy with the thirties, I should be picking up a custom '06 any day now.

The 6.5's might be better for punching paper and/or ringing steel, but if I'm shooting at something (or someone) that harbors evil intentions for me, I think I'd prefer to stick with the .30's.

HRF

I love the '06, unfortunately with the price of powder these days, the 308 is more economical and it can be used in a short action so the switch with easy to make although my M1 garand is staying right where it is,.

A lot of guys see it as an in between of the .308 and .300 win mag. I use my .308, but when I finish my next build, it will be a .300 win mag

A 30-06 is the ideal all-around rifle. It was my only bolt gun for many years. Never needed more than that.

I own a 30.06 bolt action Rem700 BDL. I was going to re-barrel it and restock it, and then build a 7mm Mag, and have both those to fill in to the 338LM that I own. The more I study on this, however, the more I see that 7mm Mag is really not necessary. I plan to re-barrel my 30.06 with a longer barrel, I have all ready restocked it with my HS Precision stock from the 338LM, and I will bypass the 7mm Mag. When I re-barrel the 30.06, I will get a twist rate good for 180-220 grain, and call it good. I believe the 30.06 is probably the most under-rated rifle out there. I believe it will do 1200 yards with the right twist and projectiles. I also have done a lot of calculations and study into powders and barrel lengths, and I am convinced that it will do a lot more than most people credit it for, and will not wear barrels out as fast as most magnums will. I can't wait until this winter when I re-barrel it to test my theories.

I also have done a lot of calculations and study into powders and barrel lengths, and I am convinced that it will do a lot more than most people credit it for, and will not wear barrels out as fast as most magnums will. I can't wait until this winter when I re-barrel it to test my theories.

Shhhhush.. don't wake them up, let em sleep.

Reactions: jarltroy
i was just wondering as i am new to the world of long range center fire don't get me wrong i can hit 300 yards with a 22 no problem but i have always used my 30-06 for hunting with open sights. Just wondering why it is not more popular? it does have a very large diversity of rounds and you can get surplus for the Persians that is ok for just practice

Thats just about the most famous hunting Cartridge there is and has Killed more game than just about any other chambering closely followed by the .270 Win and the 30-06 does what the 308 can just another 100/150 yards further out thats all, I've won medels with mine and I've hunted with it, Just nower day people are wanting flatter shooting Rifles like the 6.5 and 7mm and the 300 wm and 338, I guess you could call the 30-06 a .308magnum they are great Rifles

John

if you read among the questions on the Hide, as everywhere, some of these q. are about "...the best ?","...the longest ?","the biggest ?" "...fastest ?"etc. : that's in the human nature_
on marketing strategy, all these words are since forever considered big selling points,only one step behind the biggest (again!) of all the advertising tricks : "NEWEST"_ (translated: their last try to induce you to spend some money again, even when/if not needed))
under several a points of wiew, "our" market isn't different from sport cars, motorcycles or leisure boats markets_
under this perspective, 30.06 isn't now a big money-maker, because the time when it was on the top-ten is well past, therefore now it's a loser, of course_ under all today's "extreme" sporting, military, etc.,perspectives, 30.06 is and will be forever a loser_
carried from a seemingly average guy wearin'a funny white feathered boonie, 30.06 wasn't a loser_
in the hands of knowledgeable gunsmiths/shooters/handloaders, it will be forever something to reckon,in the same fashion a pre-unlead-sh't muscle V8 , pampered by enthusiasts w.today's tech. facilties, can make you REALLY grin_

ADDED: big mistery, for me, how here seemingly !/3 of shooters keep up to massagin' medieval-age Russian icons, tossin'cash to make them perform as a '.06_ ( maybe am I ..)

Last edited:
Yes I am sure Carlos would have something to say about this. I had one before I knew of Carlos and I knew it was impressive back then.

The 6.5's might be better for punching paper and/or ringing steel, but if I'm shooting at something (or someone) that harbors evil intentions for me, I think I'd prefer to stick with the .30's.
During WWII, 6.5mm rifle Arisaka served Japanese army well enough.

I just finished up my build and its in 30.06. I guess I missed the memo on them being uncool.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Best all for One and One for all Rifle ever, Hunting, Wars, Sniping, Target shooting , Its a Bit Rough for Turkeys and Ducks but we'll make do,

John

just made the switch to 30-06 from 308 myself. initaially figured I could mimick my 308 performance in a gun that shared ammo with all of my friends and family - I was the only 308 guy in the group. I get a steady supply of brass but have since learned more about pushing its limits. I plan to shoot 190s from a 24" gun. I will keep a 150-165gr load for the smaller deer around here but the big bullets will be nce for accuracy and distance.

If you want to launch bullets over 180 grains faster go 30/06
Bullets under 180 grains .308 in a shorter case and action.

I like both but both have ballistic coefficients of a Winnebago in a head wind compared to most 7mm or 6.5 bullets. Both .30's have better throat life than the smaller diameter and faster "other" calibers.

Why would it not?

A .308 will do 1200 yards and the -06 will push the same bullet out some 150 FPS faster.

I've Shot my 30-06 out to 1500yds with 168s it was good but I would'nt Hunt at that range with one as they are getting very unstable at these ranges.

John