• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why don't you guys like Savage? Serious question.

Re: Why don't you guys like Savage? Serious question.

I think the biggest reason why some people don't like Savages (read hate) is because for the longest time Remington DID own the accuracy off the shelf market. Pretty much, any tuned handload in a 700 of any kind could get you sub-moa. At least for a group or two. The other problem was up until the nineties, there were far and few between heavy-barreled dedicated long-range or precision type rifles. Winchester 70's had a love-hate following coming from the pre-post 64 debacle. Again, very accurate guns for their day and Savage barely had any inroads into the high accuracy bolt gun category. They had their 110 which everyone said shot well, but it wasn't a cut above Remington until they came out with their 'Tactical' model in the mid-90's.

Bar none, I've never had a more accurate rifle than my Winchester 70 HB in .222 Rem. I bought it used so I can't say what was done to it. All I did was make the best handloads I could and shoot it into little groups @ 100 yds.

So, fast forward to Savages claiming the 'accuracy' throne around 2000. Their marketing and low introductory prices paid off. Enough of those 'cheap' Savages were out there kicking ass on the competition, to get noticed by the general buying market. Couple that with the fact that this is the first conflict that snipers are actually congratulated and not looked on with disdain. That has been a huge factor in Remington and Savages success over the past ten years. But, in the last ten years if you look at it, one could always expect to pay more for the same equipped Remmy than a Savage.

One big factor in the accuracy change, was Savage going to a better process of button rifling. Remington stayed with the Hammer forged barrels. The latter causes stresses in the barrels that when heated (such as by firing) throw the shots off. Remington finally bettered it's hammer forging process by stress relieving heat treatment. Now, they are about neck and neck for like equipped rifles off the shelf.

Remington still has the edge though as there are a lot more accuracy nuts with dedicated set-ups for the 700. And, while the big thing with Savage is you don't need a gunsmith to change a barrel, you still need one to true the action. And if you want really tight accuracy from a barrel, a pre-cut barrel isn't going to be as close as a custom cut barrel. So, for a truly tight shooting rifle you do still need the gunsmith.

Anyhow, in a nutshell, it's the marketing, barrel attachment type and bolt heads that pretty much make the differences in these rifles. Savage gained a huge chunk of the 'off-the-shelf' precision rifle market because Remington was sleeping at the wheel. And, some folks don't like their favorites being challenged.

They're ugly

They're american

They're ugly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the biggest reason why some people don't like Savages (read hate) is because for the longest time Remington DID own the accuracy off the shelf market. Pretty much, any tuned handload in a 700 of any kind could get you sub-moa. At least for a group or two. The other problem was up until the nineties, there were far and few between heavy-barreled dedicated long-range or precision type rifles. Winchester 70's had a love-hate following coming from the pre-post 64 debacle. Again, very accurate guns for their day and Savage barely had any inroads into the high accuracy bolt gun category. They had their 110 which everyone said shot well, but it wasn't a cut above Remington until they came out with their 'Tactical' model in the mid-90's.

Bar none, I've never had a more accurate rifle than my Winchester 70 HB in .222 Rem. I bought it used so I can't say what was done to it. All I did was make the best handloads I could and shoot it into little groups @ 100 yds.

So, fast forward to Savages claiming the 'accuracy' throne around 2000. Their marketing and low introductory prices paid off. Enough of those 'cheap' Savages were out there kicking ass on the competition, to get noticed by the general buying market. Couple that with the fact that this is the first conflict that snipers are actually congratulated and not looked on with disdain. That has been a huge factor in Remington and Savages success over the past ten years. But, in the last ten years if you look at it, one could always expect to pay more for the same equipped Remmy than a Savage.

One big factor in the accuracy change, was Savage going to a better process of button rifling. Remington stayed with the Hammer forged barrels. The latter causes stresses in the barrels that when heated (such as by firing) throw the shots off. Remington finally bettered it's hammer forging process by stress relieving heat treatment. Now, they are about neck and neck for like equipped rifles off the shelf.

Remington still has the edge though as there are a lot more accuracy nuts with dedicated set-ups for the 700. And, while the big thing with Savage is you don't need a gunsmith to change a barrel, you still need one to true the action. And if you want really tight accuracy from a barrel, a pre-cut barrel isn't going to be as close as a custom cut barrel. So, for a truly tight shooting rifle you do still need the gunsmith.

Anyhow, in a nutshell, it's the marketing, barrel attachment type and bolt heads that pretty much make the differences in these rifles. Savage gained a huge chunk of the 'off-the-shelf' precision rifle market because Remington was sleeping at the wheel. And, some folks don't like their favorites being challenged.</div></div>

You hit on a lot of good points. I disagree with the reason for Remington holding the edge because a lot of accuracy nuts have them, but because if you're nuts about accuracy, there's a lot more for the 700 than the Savage. The bolt face on a 700 action benefits a lot more than the bolt face on the Savage so you don't necessarily need that done. If you want to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it though, why not.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">You hit on a lot of good points. I disagree with the reason for Remington holding the edge because a lot of accuracy nuts have them,</span> but because if you're nuts about accuracy, there's a lot more for the 700 than the Savage. The bolt face on a 700 action benefits a lot more than the bolt face on the Savage so you don't necessarily need that done. If you want to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it though, why not.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I mean that in the sense that WHEN a lot of people wanted a custom long range or precision rifle, it was the go-to because they "had the off the shelf accuracy" title. So, de-facto it became the number one gun to customize for that. Another industry <span style="text-decoration: line-through">almost</span> sprang up from these getting customized.

Savage not only had to REALLY outdo a Rem 700 off the shelf for accuracy, it had to hold it's own against custom rifles. As this thread shows there are people who won't waste the time on a Savage because the Rem 700 simply is pretty much a sure bet. I think as far as tactical shooting to all but the extremes a Savage will hold it's own against a good custom 700.

I think one of the underlying reasons some people may have negative attitudes with respect to Savage is that many, many years ago Savage was considered a second tier production rifle, inspite of some of the exquisite lever action rifles produced in the .300 Savage, and so on.

Old concepts die hard.

At the end of the day/match, it really doesn't matter what make of rifle punched the most X's, but who . . .

Why should I pay a gunsmith to true the action? Unless your a benchrest shooter, I don't see the advantage. Again, I'm not here to pick fights, I'm just wondering if I don't know something? I mean, outside of benchrest comps, so your trued action shoots .3 and my untrued shoots .4 moa...whats the difference? We're both going to hit the same target. Hell, MANY rifles have shot pretty damn good if not AS good without having the action trued...so why do it?

Sorry, No I wasn't trying to get off track, just trying to reiterate the 'no gunsmithing' quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why should I pay a gunsmith to true the action? Unless your a benchrest shooter, I don't see the advantage. Again,<span style="color: #FF0000"> I'm not here to pick fights</span>,<span style="color: #000099"> I'm just wondering if I don't know something?</span> I mean, outside of benchrest comps, so your trued action shoots .3 and my untrued shoots .4 moa...whats the difference? We're both going to hit the same target. Hell, MANY rifles have shot pretty damn good if not AS good without having the action trued...so why do it? </div></div>

I will make this quick:
Red: Yes you are. You make these statements and sit back and watch the dance.
Blue: Your damn right, probably plenty you don't know. Anyone who knows anything about trueing an action knows that some go in the lathe all to hell and some need very little. You don't know how much they need until they are in the lathe and believe it or not, it is the setup and not the cuts that cost you money when it comes to truing actions. Once the action is in the lathe you might as well make the cuts even if they are infintesimally small because the real time consuming work has been done.
Once again you have flanked the issue and are insinuating YOUR rifle will outshoot a custom. Try again scooter.
rant off

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once again you have flanked the issue and are insinuating YOUR rifle will outshoot a custom. Try again scooter.
rant off </div></div>

Given what you quoted, how on earth did you come to that conclusion?

Bunch of sandy vaginas in this thread....geez...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why should I pay a gunsmith to true the action? Unless your a benchrest shooter, I don't see the advantage. Again, I'm not here to pick fights, I'm just wondering if I don't know something? I mean, outside of benchrest comps, so your trued action shoots .3 and my untrued shoots .4 moa...whats the difference? We're both going to hit the same target. Hell, MANY rifles have shot pretty damn good if not AS good without having the action trued...so why do it? </div></div>

Like I said, the difference is when you are trying to get to those extremes. .3 vs. .4 don't mean a whole lot until you're out at the end of your range and it's just a shave whether you hit or miss. <span style="color: #3333FF">edit II: And, with an untrued action the difference is almost never just .1. It's more like .5 to .9 on a good rifle.</span>
No matter what action you went with, it's a good idea to true it when using it as a custom base.

edit-added:

I like what armorpl8chikn said about the lathe set-up and time. Once it's in there you might as well make all the cuts you need to.

The big problem with an untrued action is they create stresses on the system that do affect accuracy. Either now or when the barrel/action get warm from some shooting. Or even just outside air temp differences.

I hope that better explains your question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once again you have flanked the issue and are insinuating YOUR rifle will outshoot a custom. Try again scooter.
rant off </div></div>

Given what you quoted, how on earth did you come to that conclusion?

Bunch of sandy vaginas in this thread....geez...

</div></div>
If you go back and read his original post you will understand what the OP is insinuating here in this new bit of drivel. In order to understand what is going on you need to read and comprehend more than one sentence at a time. My vagina is fine and in a fabulous mood, she is making my dinner(lunch to yankees)as I write. I am not in a foul mood either but I can tell when I am being played. I have seen this all before on 3 or 4 different sites. It is not a coincidence that now he wants to argue the merits of trueing actions. The original post was a troll and everyone has kept fairly civil from the onset. You haven't seen a shitstorm in this thread yet. Maybe you are the one that needs the Vagisil.

[/quote]Red: Yes you are. You make these statements and sit back and watch the dance.
Blue: Your damn right, probably plenty you don't know. Once again you have flanked the issue and are insinuating YOUR rifle will outshoot a custom. Try again scooter.
rant off[/quote]

1. I put ideas out there and you people lose your freakin minds about it. Not my fault.
2. Your right, there's lots I dont know, thats why I said it haha But there seems to be a lot of stuff that people do to their rifles just for the sake of doing them. Like I said lots of untrued rifles (savs, rem, win, tikkas) shoot just as good as ones who do all the fancy stuff (same makes). No, NOT full out customs, I can see how you might have got that so I'm sorry but thats not what I meant. I also wasn't insinuating my rifle can beat a custom, never stated that anywhere. And I know that the person who shoots a custom hase better skills than me anyways, I wouldn't stand a chance! ha Either way, I'm not saying MY rifle shoots better than others, it was generalized statement. Lots of savages, without work, shoot just as good as other brands, whether those brands had work done or not. But if you read what I'm saying "just as good"...not better. You can flip it around to say that practically all modern-produced rifles from a reputable company will shoot damn good with quality ammunition/handloads.

Somebody here said it along these lines, and I agree with them...I think it's just comes down to old habits die hard. People like either their 700s or savages or sakos, people like trueing them and printing them and doing all the extra stuff to them, or not doing that. It just dawned on me now that it's like any other hobby, take motorcycles. People like to do all kinds of things to their bikes/rifles regardless of whether it's needed.

For me, here's the bottom line as I was an "anti-Savage" guy from a while back. Although they are not my "go to" rifle, I do acknowledge they can be very accurate and have friends with great rifles.

Now I am of the mindset that any rifle has to meet a few criteria:

1. Must be accurate
2. Must be reliable (mechanically, i.e. not break)
3. Must be consistent shot after shot.

If a rifle meets those criteria, who cares what name is on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[/quote]Red: Yes you are. You make these statements and sit back and watch the dance.
Blue: Your damn right, probably plenty you don't know. Once again you have flanked the issue and are insinuating YOUR rifle will outshoot a custom. Try again scooter.
rant off</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.<span style="color: #FF0000"> I put ideas out there and you people lose your freakin minds about it. Not my fault.</span>
2. Your right, there's lots I dont know, thats why I said it haha But there seems to be a lot of stuff that people do to their rifles just for the sake of doing them.<span style="color: #3333FF"> Like I said lots of untrued rifles (savs, rem, win, tikkas) shoot just as good as ones who do all the fancy stuff (same makes). </span>No, NOT full out customs, I can see how you might have got that so I'm sorry but thats not what I meant. I also wasn't insinuating my rifle can beat a custom, never stated that anywhere. And I know that the person who shoots a custom hase better skills than me anyways, I wouldn't stand a chance! ha Either way, I'm not saying MY rifle shoots better than others, it was generalized statement. Lots of savages, without work, shoot just as good as other brands, whether those brands had work done or not. But if you read what I'm saying "just as good"...not better. You can flip it around to say that practically all modern-produced rifles from a reputable company will shoot damn good with quality ammunition/handloads.

Somebody here said it along these lines, and I agree with them...I think it's just comes down to old habits die hard. People like either their 700s or savages or sakos, people like trueing them and printing them and doing all the extra stuff to them, or not doing that. It just dawned on me now that it's like any other hobby, take motorcycles. People like to do all kinds of things to their bikes/rifles regardless of whether it's needed. </div></div>

Red: That is the beauty of the troll.
Blue: You are talking in circles. You state you don't know these things then you make statements about them in absolutes. How the hell do you know....if you don't know? What do you think constitutes a custom rifle? You don't need a custom made action to have a custom rifle. And by the way the main reason to start with a custom action instead of trueing one is this; by the time you buy the action and true the action you could have bought a custom. If you have a donor action already then it makes sense to true that one.
This trueing barb you have laid out to be played out was hashed out almost word for word over on Accurateshooter about a year ago. Go over there and ask those guys, or go to the gunsmithing section and tell them how trueing an action in your opinion is a waste of time. Don't forget to give them all your info on how you determined what you have said here.

i didnt think there was an anti savage vibe on this forum at all... but i will say i dont think they even make a 20'' heavy barrel rifle. thats kind of lame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cserv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do believe the barrel onprecision carbines are 20 inches and heavy. </div></div>

Savage rifles

Link to this series of precision carbines? its not listed on there website.

Edit: Nevermind i see it under the "Law enforcement series". but i thought savage rifles were cheaper than Remingtons? thats not exactly cheaper then an SPS-T. its like $50 more actually. so what comes in the two different packages aside. to get a savage in a 20'' heavy barrel you must pay more money then for "them fancy high dollar remingtons"..

I was hoping there was a list of gunsmiths that would show what kind of rifles they worked on.

I love Howa's and own three of them and I know how stinking crazy difficult it is to find a gunsmith in the US who will work on them. I would like to try a switch barrel Savage, but who to go to?

A list of who does what would be very handy around here!

First post.....
New to rifles. First one (Savage) purchased earlier this year. I will say, that having a relatively inexpensive way into the sport, while still being somewhat successful, was a big deal for me. I like my Savage. I do expect to eventually get it to one of my boys, and get one of the higher end rifles though.....
It shoots well out of the box.
These are my targets from 100yards in early September. Three groups (3 rounds each), worst one is .75 inches.
target1.jpg

Another target from the same trip to the range. Three groups (3 rounds each), all under 1/2 inch.
target2.jpg

Chuck

The Remington SPS-T should be less expensive than the Savage Precision Carbine. The Rem has a internal mag and the Sav comes with a DBM. Also, the Rem comes with a Hogue with alum. pillars and that particular Sav comes with the Accustock. While the Accustock is definitely not as pretty or feel as good as the Hogue, it is less flexible.

LB

I was a full time remmy man,but I am converted.I have 5 savage builds and Another on the way. The only weakness is their sear system which needs serious upgrading ,but for now it works and havent had any failure's,so I am well satisfied with the builds and the fact that they have adjustable headspace.It makes people doubt that idea,but they are just jealous.

Earlier in the thread sombody quipped something like "how many Savages do you see winning matches". I'm too lazy to find the post and quote it.

Well, this morning was the last match of a seven match series at the gun club. Final points standings:

Factory Class:
First place - Savage (Savage FTR Target rifle)
Second Place - Savage (10FP)

There are a lot of excellent shooters that participate, and a nice variety of rifles. In fact, I think there may be fewer Savages than Remmys, but there certainly aren't MORE Savages than Remmys.

Karl shoots a remington.

Rich

Thanks... Don't want to spread any misinformation.

Post corrected.

My custom Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor isn't as smooth as my Sako and won't hold it's value as well as the Sako, but for a project from the ground up using the floating bolt face action and some tuning makes for a dam accurate rifle!

20111002_161840.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cserv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do believe the barrel onprecision carbines are 20 inches and heavy. </div></div>

Savage rifles

Link to this series of precision carbines? its not listed on there website.

Edit: Nevermind i see it under the "Law enforcement series". but i thought savage rifles were cheaper than Remingtons? thats not exactly cheaper then an SPS-T. its like $50 more actually. so what comes in the two different packages aside. to get a savage in a 20'' heavy barrel you must pay more money then for "them fancy high dollar remingtons".. </div></div>

It's not a straight taper heavy barrel, but is a far cry from the noodle barrels out there. It's basically a taper all its own.

It's a damn accurate rifle and you can't compare it to a SPS-T. If you do some research on here, you'll see that the Hogue stock just won't let the Rem hold a substantial group. Savage used to offer a 10fp in 20" barrel with a cheap stock that would compare and was typically $100 less expensive than the Rem...they don't anymore. I can only assume the reason is that they wanted to maintain their "sub MOA off the shelf" and the cheap plastic stocks weren't cutting it...but that's only MY assumption.

Price the SPS-T WITH THE COST of a quality stock and you'll see that it's a lot more expensive than the Savage Precision Carbine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dropd57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My custom Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor isn't as smooth as my Sako and won't hold it's value as well as the Sako, but for a project from the ground up using the floating bolt face action and some tuning makes for a dam accurate rifle!

20111002_161840.jpg
</div></div>

Your Savage got me all tingly in my naughty bits. I have that same stock on order from SSS.

You will love the stock. Are you getting it with the butt hook and riser?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Did you see quotation marks around anything? I don't think so...I don't have a brother. But I'm sure you knew that already, since you think you know everything else.

Already linked similar models above. That's all there is too it. Read it or don't, I could really care less. By the way, nobody cares about the shitty Savage DM. Basically what you're saying is "Remington doesn't make this model therefore Savage is cheaper".

Apples for apples, Savage and Remington are the same price. </div></div>

I just got back from seeing an awesome DJ tonight and thought I'd get a good laugh before bed.

Tyler you're so negative and have horrible reading comprehension and misinterpret everything. You're worse than my girlfriend...

I think you really just need to get laid man.

OP - If you want a rifle that you'll want to customize later and spend a few extra hundred bucks and a few weeks after you get it to maximize it's potential and probably make it just as if not more accurate than the Savage, go with the Remington. If you want to buy a rifle that's really accurate out of the box, go with the Savage and use the cash you saved on glass and ammo and just go shooting.

I'm out. G'night everybody! </div></div>

Hurdling insults and name calling, that'll get you far in life.

Everybody else can see it, but you can't...odd you haven't backed up your claims.

I don't like Savage because I can't morph it into my perfect rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctressler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't like Savage because I can't morph it into my perfect rifle. </div></div>

Why not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hurdling insults and name calling, that'll get you far in life.

Everybody else can see it, but you can't...odd you haven't backed up your claims. </div></div>

Dude...you've gotta give it up man. Most guys I know don't consider it an insult when another guy says they're being negative and can prove they have poor reading comprehension (reread the thread and take notes on what I wrote and compare them with what you posted in response....disparity. GASP!). If we were out shooting and you said, "dude, you're misreading the wind." I wouldn't tell you that you're insulting my shooting abilities. Instead, I would look at my targets and compare my POA vs POI. Don't get your panties in a wad over a stupid thread man.

I don't need to back up my claims that the SPS has a pathetic stock that won't be as accurate as an accustocked Savage or a decently stocked Remington/Winchester/any other action - the evidence is out there with SPS shooters posting questions about tightening up their 1 inch groups. The most consistent response is "get a better stock" since there is too much flex that bedding won't help much. Use the search function. The same types of posts about the accuracy of the Precision carbine exist except showing how accurate they are off the shelf. Use the search function. It's on the left side of the page below the ads.

My particular rifle is not the be all end all of rifles, nor have I claimed it to be. If I gave a great shooter a 10pc and a SPS that were both off the shelf, I would bet the 10pc would be more accurate.

What exactly is everybody seeing that I'm not?? I didn't see anybody post anything in response to me except you. Did you misinterpret something again?
smile.gif

The OP asked a simple question about what people didn't like about Savages. I've answered the OP's question a number of times with the stuff that I don't like and stuff I like. I've tried to stay on topic. This wasn't a Rem vs Savage thread so quit making it into one.

And a little food for thought: the most successful people in the world have made and been told their faults and mistakes. The difference between them and other people is that they fix their faults while others take people pointing them out as name calling and insults.

Thomas Edison found a thousand ways NOT to make a lightbulb, but only needed one that worked. Heavy stuff...

I'm a week late into this topic, but I've read it start to finish. I started with a Model 11 .22-250 because a friend had one that killed many, many predators. His worked so I figured one would work for me. My first Savage was a model 12 in .22-250 and I worked my way out to 300 yards with it. I joined this forum and learned why I needed a left handed bolt rifle since I shoot left handed. I sold that model 12 only to order the same thing in a left handed version. Shortly after I decided I wanted a long range capable, hunt anything in Texas rifle that was left handed from the factory. I looked every where I knew to look, had gun dealers and friends searching and could not find a Remington 700 or Winchester 70 that had a 1:10" twist .308 24" heavy barrel. BUT! I saw on Savage's website under "Law Enforcement" the 10 FLCP-K. I asked the "right" gun dealer if he could get one in and he did a week later. I ran it with a Burris scope that was clear but didn't have a reticle and/or turrets that I could work with so I upgraded optics.

I shot my first match and discovered some equipment issues. I needed a high capacity magazine to be able to compete. CDI provided. I learned some things from this site, shot with a buddie's A-5 and figured out that I had better trigger control with it. Got me an A-5 for the model 10.

So my position is that there's nothing wrong with Savage, Remington, Tikka, and the list goes on. I've owned or shot many Savages and have not seen or shot one that wouldn't perform very well. I'm sure they're out there, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Not enought aftermarket items?

CDI bottom metal accepts 10 round A.I. mags

McMillan gladly built a LH A-5 for me

The rifle came with a brake. If I want to supress it, no problem.

What other after market items do I need?

I love the savage after being a diehard remmy fan.I dont need a gunsmith anymore.

Why I chose mine- Pawn shop donor for $300, sell of factory barrel and stock. I can do all the wrenching myself on it rather than sending it out to have a smith to do the work.

My kids Savage PC in .308 is very accurate, I think they should be compared to a LTR. I own a LTR in .308 and it has never shot as well as here rifle. My other kid has a .223 PC and it does not shoot that great. I paid more for the LTR and it will need work to shoot as well as the old beat up PC in .308 does out of the box. I dont like the accustock or accutrigger, but that is personal preference.

Remington or Savage...it doesn't matter as long as it is accurate...and by the way...Panda won TPRC last year shooting a Savage and there were a few "expensive rifles" at that match.