• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Enough Said

Staff Sergeant Taylor
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 10, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    Answers are only answers because of questions. Solutions are only solutions because of problems. 

As precision long range rifle instructors, our problem was a full line of students each with his or her own rifle, caliber, and numerous parameters and cartridges all flying at different speeds at different weights with different characteristics.

IMG_0700-1440x1080.jpg

We needed an expedient means of providing the student with a solution for the next yard line’s data based upon his impact at the last yard line. Otherwise, the student spent valuable instruction time staring at any one of a number of ballistic apps instead of concentrating and being in the instruction moment that they paid for. Walking a line of 16 students out to 1000 yards efficiently, predictably, and with waterline hits requires time, so we needed to be much more efficient in terms of time and in terms of conserving the...

Continue reading...

Is it possible to get the X factor when 'perfect' 100-yard increments aren't available? If a range doesn't have 100/200/300/400/500/600 and instead has 100/255/345/460 etc.

Is it possible to get the X factor when 'perfect' 100-yard increments aren't available? If a range doesn't have 100/200/300/400/500/600 and instead has 100/255/345/460 etc.
    If you slide over to the Range Card it will show the X-factor in 50 yard increments. If that isn't fine enough you can easily figure out what it should be from what is shown.

ETA:
    Article on using alternate distances.

Reactions: DosMeadowlandos
    .Yes.
    For instance, if your 255 Yd Data is .6 mil, then your factor to 345 Yds is 2.0 and your factor from 345 to 460 is 1.78, given the example you offered.

Taylor

Reactions: DosMeadowlandos
    I know the physics doesn't change, but I just want to confirm that this works with .22 LR??

Thanks

wait...you get the data and then enter it in a kestrel.....why not just start with the kestrel and 4DOF?????
    Because you have to true and many mess up the inputs

This trues it faster and easier to use plus we are more accurate to start, truing is a necessary evil with both of those, not so much for me, I actually true easier

Go to a class that uses the kestrel to dope you and one that uses gravity ballistics you immediately see the difference. I have been to both, use it all and this is better and easier.

Reactions: Milf Dots
    I bought the app...not very useful for PRS....I need exact range data..best I can get with app is 50 yard increments....but I need drop data for 811 yards...now I am guessing....if I have a kestrel I can go to range...sight guns in at 100 yard...go to 500 yards and check dope...if I am high. or low I can adjust MV....shoot at 1000 yards...high or low adjust bullet BC.....I can get my dope in about 4 shots....how is GB better????

I bought the app...not very useful for PRS....I need exact range data..best I can get with app is 50 yard increments....but I need drop data for 811 yards...now I am guessing....if I have a kestrel I can go to range...sight guns in at 100 yard...go to 500 yards and check dope...if I am high. or low I can adjust MV....shoot at 1000 yards...high or low adjust bullet BC.....I can get my dope in about 4 shots....how is GB better????
    In the process you describe above, you have theory everywhere but 100, 500 and 1000. If you start at 100 with Gravity Ballistics, you will have data at even yardlines all the way to 1000 based on hits, not theory and you will not need to manipulate your wrong M/V or BC because Gravity Ballistics doesn't need inputs.

If you know your data, or can see it on a range card and you need a solver to add 11 yards, you are missing a great deal of basic drop understanding and should pause your PRS career until you have that understanding because you are spending too much clock time in a solver and not enough time on the trigger.

Gravity Ballistics, if you have read the numerous descriptions, is a means of gathering data efficiently and expediently, based upon the last hit.
    Without theoretic inputs that need changing. (M/V, BC)

I like GB. I can fill in the gaps because of field collected dope to know in the example range mentioned based on my previous observations at 25 yard increments so that works for me. The app would be neat as a request for enhancement consideration if it could have a gun mph entry for wind 1 wind 2 on a range card and can we stretch to 1200ish?

.1 mil = 10 yards, with Gravity Ballistics you can see the gap between so you know .8 between 400 & 500 so you know without having to look at the kestrel

811= .2 not very hard to understand

866 add .8 can do it in my head cuz I know what a mil is, gravity ballistics showed me how to understand MY dope and I don’t need the magic box to tell me. Sure I use the box for some situations but I fed it using GB

IMG_0882.jpeg

This teaches you data and doesn’t give you mystery numbers. Wait until you see the Kraft Quick Wind update, next level you do in your head. It’s gonna teach you wind like the kestrel never could. You have to True the wind in the kestrel the same way you do elevation. Can’t have one change without the others. Everything is tied to elevation, wind, heck, other drifts are 1.25% of elevation so you don’t need SD until 10 Mils, (interestingly it falls on 10) but ask your kestrel where they doubled it so idiots like you can see it.

With the Kraft Quick Wind update (KQW) you’ll know, I need 1.5% and go… how easy, you look at it once, you know, you dope your rifle once, you know, that’s the difference, I know, I don’t need the magic box to tell me.

But needless to say if you haven’t figured it out, this was just the first version, we are updating and enhancing it.

I just needed to see it in the wild before going back, and I wanted to work the Kraft Quick Wind on the range a few more times and with students before adding it. But we are adding it, the method is that good. It’s GB for Wind.

And its $5 not $30+

Yes, the App Team has been super responsive, so as I see things, I’m able to adjust and now add the Kraft Quick Wind to the App.

We’ll even get to access the compass but the most important thing it works offline. We are analog solutions nobody has that - is living in a digital world because it’s so easy. The app guys laughs at us because it’s so easy. We can adjust everything and we are. I’m a pretty logical guy, contrary to popular belief we shoot and support comps we just don’t support some of the grifters hiding behind a “series” but hell, Chris shot the Larimer NRL match on Friday, came home, taught a class to 10 guys before the group went to Hat Creek, and is back in WY to RO the match, so we know. They just like their villains. Doesn’t work for PRS as if that’s a dig. It does if you know.

You can go to the match day before shoot as many ranges as the give you, put it in the app cuz it has unlimited tracks and you’d have pre trued dope for that range. The dumb mid ranges they might put in are easily determined as I noted. But you might need to count to 10.

GB is not a solver, it is for gathering your dope so you can then enter it into your Kestrel. For example I was out shooting my 300 NM last weekend using the Kestrel with CDM for the bullet. I was already zeroed for 100 yards and we moved directly to 757 yards. Boom, 0.5 mils low. Adjust, waterline. Move to 889. Hit low again. Finally I put the Kestrel down and just documented my actual dope as a note in my phone so I can deal with it later instead of wasting my time at the range. All the while I forgot I already has GB on my phone, duh moment.

GB is a great way to generate try dope without wasting your range time fiddling with the Kestrel. It actually augments your other tools you already have. Lowlight is highlighting that it also works well as a stand alone and learning tool to not be utterly dependent on your Kestrel. Just another tool in the toolbox but not utterly dependent on all the inputs you have to manually put into other ballistic solvers.

Yes it works for a .22 but the zero is wrong so you have to scale it to a 25 yard zero. I think a 50 will work

There is a GB for 22 on here, but I never tried it.

The X-Factor numbers can be changed for a reason, for angles, as well as 22, but I don’t have the numbers. We have numbers for Pala, and Mifflin, but you’d have to search it

if you know you are .5 low at 757, why did you not go into the kestrel and decrease your BC until shows you the exact hold required? assuming you use a chrono so you know your MV...
    Because fingering the Kestrel in the field has shown to be an exercise in futility... My experience has shown that typically one of 2 things happens.

1- The CDM is very close and only minor adjustments need to be made or
    2- The CDM isn't panning out for some reason and focusing on the Kestrel only leads to wasting more time and ammunition trying to get it trued. Mind you I'm not trying to true to 1k, I'm trying to confirm out past 2k

Would it be correct to say that this method assists you in interpolating your dial up when you have actual measurements at several points?

A separate question, but with respect to long range 22 long rifle, are there multipliers available in 5 yard increments? Or can they be derived?

Would it be correct to say that this method assists you in interpolating your dial up when you have actual measurements at several points?

A separate question, but with respect to long range 22 long rifle, are there multipliers available in 5 yard increments? Or can they be derived?
    Yes. First step is to be comfortable with and be able to recite your home-range data instinctively.
    That leads to understanding your drop between data points, which makes odd-range data more intuitive and not solver-necessary.

Yes, easily derived. 20-yard zero, then data every 20 yards to 200, which is the equivalent to 1,000 yards in centerfire.

The reason I have not codified the multipliers for .22 LR is because a zero range is not universally accepted as it is with the 100-yard zero in centerfire. Some use 20. Some 25. Some 50 yard zeros. Changing the zero range affects the multipliers because it affects the data slightly.

Taylor

Last edited:
    The reason I have not codified the multipliers for .22 LR is because a zero range is not universally accepted as it is with the 100-yard zero in centerfire. Some use 20. Some 25. Some 50 yard zeros. Changing the zero range affects the multipliers because it affects the data slightly.

I know I'm in the minority for using it, but a 35-36 yard zero does the same thing for .22 as 100 does for centerfire. Everything is an up adjustment.

Is there a way to work this system with a 50 yard zero?

I’ve just been using that for so long, it’s instinctive.

Also, it seems to be what you zero at at all the competitions.

Thank you all for your wisdom. Like I have said in other posts, I am a fairly experienced competitive shooter, but know, just enough about this kind of thing to know that I don’t know much.

Thank you all for your wisdom. Like I have said in other posts, I am a fairly experienced competitive shooter, but know, just enough about this kind of thing to know that I don’t know much.
    Thread(s) on the worksheet method for .22 LR

Reactions: Baron23

50-yard zero. Make it Precise and accurate
    70-yard data __?__ x 2.28 = 90-yard data.
    90-yard data ___x 1.625 = 110-yard data
    110-yard data ___x1.42 = 130-yard data
    130-yard data ___x1.29 = 150-yard data
    150-yard data ___x1.25 = 170-yard data
    170-yard data ___x1.20 = 190-yard data
    190-yard data ___x1.18 = 210-yard data

There You go.
    Taylor

Hi all, over the last few days, I've been reading up on this as best I can.

I'm pretty confident that I know how the math works. I've been running numbers with the chart presented in this post.

However, I still can't find a chart that goes down to 50 yards and then up in 5 or 10 yard increments, as would be used with a .22 LR.

I'm happy to pay Frank and his crew for this. In fact, if anyone can confirm that the app
    1) supports a 50 yard zero
    2) has multipliers down to 50 yards and in minimum 10 yard increments

I'll happily buy the app.

Thanks.

The Gravity Ballistics Ap does not/ will not be built around a 50-yard zero because it was developed for center fire rifles. Nor will I break it down to 50 yard / 10-yard increments because the Ap, in its entirety, breaks down the drop in a way that any unknown distances can easily be calculated once all the even 100-yard data has been confirmed.

Thanks for your consideration, and if I can assist you personally with questions about how to reach the numbers you are looking for, ping me in a DM or email.

I make custom - math worksheets for custom ranges.

Taylor

Last edited:
    Drop between yard lines goes from .6 between 100 yards to about 1.2, 1.4 around 900 to 1000. In most working ranges you have 1 mil give or take a .1th

With that information you no longer need to “know” the odd ranges as predicted by a solver because you can see it. It’s a .1 mil per 10 yards.

Most steel we shoot has extra elevation and limited windage. That means missing via elevation is not gonna happen if at first you’re a .1 or .2 off. So it’s easy to do in your head.

As far as the .22 numbers. I will do it, but it will be a minute

GB is ridiculous, it is so easy. Long time 4DOF user but GB is the easy button. Will continue to use 4DOF but GB is clean and simple. Only snag I have run into is sending the range card to email has not worked for me. Always like to have a paper dope card in the bag.

@Lowlight is Way Wind going to be integrated at some point?

GB is ridiculous, it is so easy. Long time 4DOF user but GB is the easy button. Will continue to use 4DOF but GB is clean and simple. Only snag I have run into is sending the range card to email has not worked for me. Always like to have a paper dope card in the bag.

@Lowlight is Way Wind going to be integrated at some point?
    Mine shows up in email as “audentio”
    Maybe it’s getting blocked as spam or junk in email?

Reactions: isofahunter
    The GB App is being updated as we speak,

We are adding in the Kraft Quick Wind, so yes the App is currently being worked on to add in the Wind.

We are working towards this feature too, as I see this App as a training tool and not a predictive solver. So the App is supposed to let the shooter put the wind hold into the app, so a verified hit, and it will spell out the wind for you,

It's moving forward