• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why have the front scope cap open up?

Onewolf42

Peon
Minuteman
Since this is the place for stupid questions.... I have found that when I place the front scope cap so it opens up it's a whole lot more distracting/annoying then when it opens towards the right side of the rifle.

When the scope cap opens to the right the body of the scope blocks the view of the cap so the cap doesn't really block my view anymore than the scope already does.

Does this make me a retard?

Thanks.

I'm the same way, I like the cap to open to the right. I can see that a left hand shooter would want it to open to the left.

To me, when it opens up, it blocks my field of view for scanning.

Then again, I'm moving away from scope caps and just putting the bikini covers on or using a padded scope cover............the caps tend to break after a while or hard use.

i think it's mostly personal preference, though it does make sense to situate them as not to block vision when open either looking to the side or over the top.

you also have to consider where the actuator button or "nub" is going to end up, and if an adjustable objective, where things are going to line up during the adjustment range.

I'm right handed and have mine open to the left. I've got my dope taped to the cover with it in plain view when I'm shooting. I haven't noticed it being in the way while scanning and find great benefit to being able to read my dope so easily.

I use the bungee style and just set it in my case at the range or hang it on my tripod while hunting it's also transparent so in a pinch you can shoot with them on

Wait a year or so...there will be all-new scope caps on the market. :D (read more in the equipment section)

Im a lefty and Ive got my front cap swinging to the left. out of sight out of mind!