• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Why NOT a 20 MOA picatinny rail on a 22 Long Rifle

Re: Why NOT a 20 MOA picatinny rail on a 22 Long Rifle

20moa definitely. Since the 22LR is such a slow round, it drops precipitously at extended ranges.

Agree...Have a 20 MOA DIP (Diversified Innovative Products) on my Savage Mark II TR. It offers more flexibility with mounting and adjustment over standard mounts...JaxOps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">should i look at a 0 MOA rail or a 20 MOA rail for a 40X trainer? </div></div>

How far do you plan on shooting your 40x and how much elevation travel do you have on your current scope? To reach 250yds you'll need ~37MOA and things REALLY starts dropping off from there.

22tacballisticsx600a.png

I would suggest even going with a 25MOA rail if one is available for your rifle. Once the long range 200 yard bug bites you, eventually you're going to want to shoot even further. This reminds me, I have to check out 25MOA DIP Bases for my Savages, if they're available.

I have a DIP 20 MOA rail on both a 64 MPR and a 54.18. I also have a 20 MOA rail on a 40X and 52B.

On my 64 MPR, and I shoot this one the most, I am zeroed at 50 yd and can get out to 340 yds on the scope.

At times I wish I had a 25-30 MOA rail. Tried 500 yards once and just could not get there consistently with all the scope, and all the mil dots. Then is when I wish I had much more MOA built into the rail.

You will not be disappointed if you get a 20+ MOA rail, if you plan to shoot at 200+ yards.

AR

Farrell Industries 20 MOA Picatinny Scope Base. Highly recommended.

I have a egw 20moa for my savage tr. I think the extra range will be needed going to 300 depending on optics

I've been shooting out to 282 yds recently so i got a DIP 25moa base just to be sure. too bad i only got to use it once before i had to send the gun back for warranty

If you will be doing a lot of shooting at less than 50 yards, then I'd go with a 0 moa set up. Longer ranges - certainly go for the MOA.

Of course, a different alternative would be to instead use a 0 moa mount and use Burris Zee rings w/ the inserts to get you more MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ivanthesane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you will be doing a lot of shooting at less than 50 yards, then I'd go with a 0 moa set up. Longer ranges - certainly go for the MOA.

Of course, a different alternative would be to instead use a 0 moa mount and use Burris Zee rings w/ the inserts to get you more MOA </div></div>

And for those with money to burn both.
laugh.gif
Throw on a 25MOA mount and zee rings. Keep putting in more MOA into the rings till you can barely get enough to zero at 50 and call it good.

Or get all fancy with the variable gantry mount.

When I got my DIP 20 MOA's last year, they were just planning 25 MOA's and had none avialable for Anschutz 64 or 54 actions.

The DIP website still does not show 25 MOA rails for sale and "OUT OF STOCK" on 20 MOA's for Anschutz's

Good info to know DIP now has a 25 MOA rail avialable. If I could find a quality 30+ MOA rail I would get one for 64 MPR. I never shoot it less than a 100 yds anymore.

IMG_0923.jpg

With a 20 MOA DIP rail and zeroed at 50 I have 45 MOA usable on the scope and losing 37 MOA on the scope. If I could get enough rail to zero at a 100 and have all the scope MOA available (80+- MOA) I could shoot to 500 yards on the scope. I would need 78 MOA zeroed at 100 to get out to 500.

Anyone know who's producing a quality 30+MOA rail for Anschutz 64 actions?

Good thread.

Murphy Precision should be able to make you whatever cant you would like. I just bought a 20 moa rail from him for my MPR.

Contact DIP and ask. I asked about a bigger than 25 MOA for my MK2 with a 140MOA LRS-1 on it. Said that he would talk to the shop when the next run went through. Said it might be a few extra dollars.

Thanks RJ11,

Will give Murphy a shout tomorrow.

What were the costs and turn around time, if you don't mind?? They do not have Anschutz listed on their website.

AR

I run Seekins 20 moa bases on both of my 40X Rimfires. They are excellent quality, and I highly recommend them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">should i look at a 0 MOA rail or a 20 MOA rail for a 40X trainer? </div></div>
Go with a 20 MOA base - it will help you reach out a little farther and has no downside unless you're going to shoot at less than 50 yards a lot. Cameron Murphy at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Murphy Precision</span></span> can make whatever you need.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aquatic_Robotic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks RJ11,

Will give Murphy a shout tomorrow.

What were the costs and turn around time, if you don't mind?? They do not have Anschutz listed on their website.

AR </div></div>
Definitely give Cameron Murphy a call - if he hasn't made what you need he can always make it for you. Last year I had Cameron make a 25 MOA two-piece base for a Kimber Model 82 .22LR for me. Cameron had never made a never made a two-piece base before, let alone a two-piece base for a Kimber Model 82, so he asked me to send him a simple diagram of the Model 82's action layout including the screw hole locations. While I was at it I sent Cameron a two-piece Warne base so he could reverse-engineer the radius need for the underside of the action exactly, as well as the base screws so he could calculate the length of the new screws I'd need to use with my new base.

The typical base that Cameron machines is a 20 MOA one-piece, but I wanted a two-piece for two reasons: First, two-piece bases provide better access to the loading port and breech than "bridge" designs, even if the "bridge" is radiused/relieved for clearance.

Second, I didn't want the "tacticool" look of a one-piece design (of course, this concept goes out the door if you mount a PMII 5-25X or something equally large, but if you mount a "normal" scope the base is rather inconspicuous).

My base is made for the old Kimber of Oregon Model 82, specifically an 82B "Roundtop". <span style="font-style: italic">Theorietically</span>, my new base could also work on an 82A built with a "Roundtop" receiver instead of the dovetailed receiver usually seen on the 82As', but theres' no way to confirm it without having an 82A "Roundtop" to measure, and I don't have one.

The layout of the Model 82C is the same as the 82B, and since I'm really pleased with the 25 MOA two-piece base that Cameron made for my 82B "Roundtop", after I try-out my 82B base I'll probably have Murphy Precision machine another 25 MOA two-piece base for my 82C "Roundtop".

Not too many guys here have Kimber Model 82s', but now that the groundwork is done maybe some other Kimber guys will benefit from Cameron's hard work and machining skills. A set of correct length stainless steel screws were also provided with my new base. Below are some photos of the base on and off of my 82B "Roundtop".

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Front & Rear bases shown with their respective stainless steel screws:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOATwo-PieceBase28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of top of Front Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAFRONTTOP8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of bottom of Front Base. Etched arrow indicates base front:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAFRONTBOTTOM8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of top of Rear Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAREARTOP8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of bottom of Rear Base. Etched arrow indicates base front:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAREARBOTTOM8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of installed two-piece 25 MOA Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOATwo-PieceBaseLSMountedNOSN8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeups of installed Front Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAFRONTBaseRSFAMounted8x6.jpg

MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAFRONTBaseRSRAMounted8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeups of installed Rear Base:</span></span>
MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAREARBaseLSFAMounted8x6.jpg

MurphyPrecisionKimber82AB25MOAREARBaseRSRAMounted8x6.jpg

See the my post below this one for some photos of my Two-Piece 25 MOA Murphy Precision base.

Keith

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82C "Classic" with Murphy Precision 25 MOA Two-Piece Base, PMII 5-25X56mm Gen 2 XR CCW, & NEAR Manufacturing Rings:</span></span>
Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XRS8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XLS8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XRS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XLS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25X38x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25X18x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25X28x6.jpg

Keith