• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why the hatred for savage?

what? i love savage!

what's a savage? :p

Damn they figured us out, in fact, I hate when those Honda Civics pass my Porsche on the highway, I secretly envy every car that passes me when the owner paid less money. The Civic with the wings are a particular point of jealously, when that H wing goes by, I know I made a poor decision. They just smoke me ... I still have another gear and nothing helps

View attachment 7687537

A fool and is money is soon parted, that is a fact.
Deep tracks… so you are the other person who listens to that… probably play First Wave, too.

Sirhr

E3FDF86E-67DE-4938-B1EC-98E7824A97DE.jpeg

Not being a troll or anything but I’ve got to ask, why the hatred for savage?

While I was fortunate ( very ) to win my rifle in a raffle, the set up is still going to be a considerable investment for me. I really don’t want to put a lot of money into a sub standard rifle. My 13 year old is also really interested in shooting as well, and the rifle will eventually be his.

I just want to make sure I’m going to be investing in a rifle that will be fun for both of us and worth the investment needed.
I didn't use Savage for years because of a bad experience years ago when I was a kid. As of today the Savage .308 I own and reload for is my very most accurate rifle. I have Sako, Remington, Browning to name a few plus custom built rifles. That Savage is amazingly accurate. No hate for Savage on my end.

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
I didn't use Savage for years because of a bad experience years ago when I was a kid. As of today the Savage .308 I own and reload for is my very most accurate rifle. I have Sako, Remington, Browning to name a few plus custom built rifles. That Savage is amazingly accurate. No hate for Savage on my end.
What was the bad experience

Shoot it like you stole it. Or, I'd give you three times what you paid for it, $100 right?

He got it for $100 dollars worth of raffle tickets.

If you've never heard "Drive it like you stole it", I guess I missed.

A Savage rifle is usually the top prize in most WV, VA, PA ect firehouse/Ruritan/other social organization gunbashes. Buying 50 bucks worth of tickets to win a Muddy Girl camo edition Savage Axis in 243 with a Simmons scope is almost as retarded as wasting your retirement on lottery tickets.

Last edited:
I have several accurate Savages purposely reduced to single shot that won't break that I shoot on a regular basis. But I will never build another one. The company sucks now. Won't be long before we just start finding them just lying there in the woods and at the range piling up in lost and found racks.

Horse Shit.

Maybe the optics, but not the rifle.
He probably picked up a Stevens. Regardless, this is half the hate of Savage…people running their mouth on the interwebs to strangers. Bad mouthing something based on their anecdotal experience. Do they have some issues sometimes, yes. Are they junk, no. Take a little initiative and fix the extractor with a larger bearing. Not rocket science. John Krieger praised their barrels. Both I own are accurate af but that’s just my limited experience.

Reactions: OkieJake96
He probably picked up a Stevens. Regardless, this is half the hate of Savage…people running their mouth on the interwebs to strangers. Bad mouthing something based on their anecdotal experience. Do they have some issues sometimes, yes. Are they junk, no. Take a little initiative and fix the extractor with a larger bearing. Not rocket science. John Krieger praised their barrels. Both I own are accurate af but that’s just my limited experience.
I think a lot of the hate around here is for prs use. When you consider the cost of traveling to matches, the gun is the cheap part. There are a lot of good guns out there that have a malfunction rate of maybe .01% I would say most Savage, and I have several, are closer to 1% when run in a prs match type environment. I agree they are fine for casual hunting/plinking and a good value.

MakeSawdust nailed it, they are fine for the price. You get what you pay for. Everyone I cycled in a gun shop felt like it had sand in the action. Seen a bunch at the range that didn't always feed or eject well, but for what the OP has into why not give it a shot, and hopefully his son is into it. Take your prize and give it a try, used optic might be the way to go. Good luck with it all.

Reactions: db2000
When I hear the name Savage, its usually in this clusterfuck of a situation. I'm not saying their higher end rifles like the 10/110/12 are bad or junk, I've seen them shoot well but never actually shot one. Locally Savage and Remington are the discussion of the uneducated and lucky to hit a pie plate at 100 crowd. Not trying to sound elitist but obliviously the people in this discussion have access to the internet through a phone or a computer, there is no reason they can't find something better. If you can't afford better then scrimp, save, ect get something functional, take some pride in your purchase. Locally the guys with the cheap Remingtons/ Savages always have a mall crawler truck. Fix your priorities.

InkedSnip 1_LI.jpg
InkedSnip2_LI.jpg

In the 90s when I bought my first bolt action, a Remington 700 VS in 223, you started hearing about the Savages and how well they shot for the money. They probably were good shooters but I always felt like they had a few corners cut here and there. Then they won a national F Class event and my shooting friends decided they were the best thing since sliced bread and Remingtons were shit.

Sadly, for the last 10 years I've seen a lot of garbage come out of both factories, and even Ruger for that matter. It left room for Bergara and Tikka to rise to the top.

Reactions: jakelly
It wasn't too long ago a right handed guy with 7 fingers shooting left handed with no spotter set an ELR World Record with a stock barreled Savage 112 single shot 338 Lapua at 2158 yards with a cold bore shot followed up by 2 more hits. Don't rag on them too hard, they may not be smooth or pretty but they will shoot.

Very shortly my Son will receive his Hoplite Arms 338 NM and we'll get a chance to see how that Savage will shoot against the new Hoplite. Looking forward to us shooting them side by side at Thunder Valley at 1 mile.

Topstrap

Last edited:
I cut my long distance teeth on a bare bones .308 10 FP fitted with a harris pod and a 10 x SFWA. Shooting 155 Lapua Scenars it was not long before I was making hits at 1000 yards at Pawnee grassland on an idpa silhouette.

Later I added a lift kit, AI chassis, tbac can, atlas pod and a Gen II razor scope and was easily hitting 1160 steel here in Wyomings harsh climate. I dubbed it “Geromino”. It was also my backup hunting rifle. I LOVED that thing. At around 5000 rnds I burned out the barrel. I ran those scenars a bit hot. Next up I ordered a 6.5 cm barrel.

Life happens and in 2019 I needed some cash so I parted her out. I still miss that rig. I had no complaints. Geronimo served me more than well......

A Rem 700 6.5 cm is now in its place now, mainly because of availability after market for the 700.

CD0C0862-3508-409B-8B48-8CDACFBD8AD3.jpeg

When I see somebody shooting a savage I immediately assume there idiots and also poor, then I move on with my day :)
And you judge a book by it's cover? I have a Savage that I use for Deer hunting and take to the range. My IQ is above average at 119. I keep $8 Grand in cash in my dresser, that I can "Blow" on anything I fancy with NO question from wife. My retirement income is approx $85K - House and car are paid off - Yea, I'm poor.

And you judge a book by it's cover? I have a Savage that I use for Deer hunting and take to the range. My IQ is above average at 119. I keep $8 Grand in cash in my dresser, that I can "Blow" on anything I fancy with NO question from wife. My retirement income is approx $85K - House and car are paid off - Yea, I'm poor.
I struck a nerve huh? It was a joke stupid, I don't care what guns people shoot and I also don't care what u have saved for retirement

lol.

around here. Yes.

282FCABA-2B92-4CE9-BF78-EA7002E8AE0F.jpeg

1624DC33-A09E-4FFB-958C-7ED637049FD3.jpeg

wrong place to be Dick measuring

Last edited:
668696AB-A595-41E3-9445-430CA5FDB686.gif

This my friend, is how you set yourself up to test those flame retardant underwear...that may or may not be a size or two too small.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
On a positive note... Savage rifles do have that false lug on the bolt. That is actually quite a nice safety feature.

I was out ground hog shooting with a buddy who is known for being "careful with money" and he was using some reloads he bought at a gun show. Well after a shot he jumped away from his rifle and his face was bleeding.

What happened was the case had a side split and much of the pressure ran down the left side bolt lug way of his Rem 700 and blasted him in the face and left eye.

That false lug on the Savage bolt would restrict that gas flow and help more of it vent out the side vent hole. The back of the bolt is also designed to deflect that pressure blast away from the shooter.

You're doing pretty well for yourself retiredguy. Ignorant people in comment sections suck, but you know what they say, opinions come from assholes... or something...

Reactions: RetiredChief
FrankenGun3.0.jpg

Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5CM about 3 years old or so. Started as a cheapo and I just kept adding goodies and got addicted to tricking the gun and shooting at shit further and further away. Granted it is my first and probably only precision rifle but my family shooting buddies have some pretty shwanky stuff including customs and I keep up with them just fine. I have a Nephew that shoots this gun better than he shoots his super expensive customs.

I'd buy another Savage in a minute...thinking about getting a Savage in .338 Lapua and if I do it'll be an older Savage and I'll trick it just like this one with a new barrel. Enjoy yer Savage. I certainly do enjoy mine. Sub MOA out of the box and consistent <.7 MOA now at 100 yards.

VooDoo

Our hope/thought is primarily to use it as a possible entry gun into competition if our son maintains interest, or just plinking if not. He’s left handed so I’m not sure how it will suit him.
I shoot rifles left handed ( pistols right handed ,yeah I'm fucked up ) ,have two left handed bolt guns and quite a few right handed bolt guns . I actually prefer shooting the right handed rifles more ,yeah I'm fucked up.

One of the left hand rifles is a Savage 116 .Shot it enough to develop a good hunting load for "Baby Bear" ,she's a lefty too . When I got it to hitting 3" gongs @400 yds , I called it good.Its been in the safe since then because she always wants to shoot the 300WM right handed A bolt,go figure.

Have tried to get two different Savage Axis to group for others,with hand loads and different factory loads. After that experience, I don't want to be anywhere around an "Axis" ymmv .

I really hope the best for you and your son . My children are "grown" and gone........I miss us spending time together shooting .

Man, some guys get way too defensive on this stuff.

I have a savage 12. It shoots fine, sure, .75moa with my 6.5cm handloads. Running it though, that's a different story. Occasional feeding problems, frequent extraction problems. Sure, I can try to run it in a match, but I have zero confidence in it not tripping me up and make me hate life.

Frank already posted it a few pages ago. If I were to start over again, I'd get a tikka with a chassis.

Reactions: Stoweit
I shoot rifles left handed ( pistols right handed ,yeah I'm fucked up ) ,have two left handed bolt guns and quite a few right handed bolt guns . I actually prefer shooting the right handed rifles more ,yeah I'm fucked up.

One of the left hand rifles is a Savage 116 .Shot it enough to develop a good hunting load for "Baby Bear" ,she's a lefty too . When I got it to hitting 3" gongs @400 yds , I called it good.Its been in the safe since then because she always wants to shoot the 300WM right handed A bolt,go figure.

Have tried to get two different Savage Axis to group for others,with hand loads and different factory loads. After that experience, I don't want to be anywhere around an "Axis" ymmv .

I really hope the best for you and your son . My children are "grown" and gone........I miss us spending time together shooting .
My wife is also a lefty but right eye dominant, my father was a lefty as well but taught himself to shoot right handed and when he was in the Marines he had to shoot right handed

I’m just hoping my 3 year old is a righty or I will be surrounded 😁

tenor (9).gif

On a positive note... Savage rifles do have that false lug on the bolt. That is actually quite a nice safety feature.

I was out ground hog shooting with a buddy who is known for being "careful with money" and he was using some reloads he bought at a gun show. Well after a shot he jumped away from his rifle and his face was bleeding.

What happened was the case had a side split and much of the pressure ran down the left side bolt lug way of his Rem 700 and blasted him in the face and left eye.

That false lug on the Savage bolt would restrict that gas flow and help more of it vent out the side vent hole. The back of the bolt is also designed to deflect that pressure blast away from the shooter.
A remington stops gas from coming down the rail too, unless someone cuts a hole in one of the three rings of steel and puts a sako extractor in it.

A remington stops gas from coming down the rail too, unless someone cuts a hole in one of the three rings of steel and puts a sako extractor in it.
If that 3 ring marketing was actually effective, I would not have had to drive my bleeding buddy to the hospital.

He was using an unmodified Rem 700.

Last edited:
Love my Savages… regardless of what others may think. I can’t justify spending a bunch of funds I don’t have, to buy into a custom anything.

DK

Justification pic to keepin my Savages.
3-shot group, 500 yards, 1.028”.

Attachments

• CC25F6EB-4288-45AA-B6DB-6798C3D170AC.jpeg
    CC25F6EB-4288-45AA-B6DB-6798C3D170AC.jpeg
    790.2 KB · Views: 51
Why does everyone suddenly have to be poor to make a bad purchase? Savages aren't always the cheapest option. There are many that compete in the bergara, howa and Tikka realm. I'm not money bags either but I choose to have nice things and not a lot of things. No 4 wheeler, boat and I don't drink so yeah I can build a decent budget custom rifle.

If you win something then just shoot the crap out of it and rebarrel it for your kids. What ever floats your boat.

There’s a lot more options now but 10 years ago savage was a good bit more of a serious contender.
I burned out a few barrels on my savage before I built a custom rifle.

Reactions: LR1845
Maybe there's a disconnect here between the "it sucks" and "it doesn't suck, you suck" camps.

If all I'm doing is doing stuff that's not timed, then alright, my Savage 12 doesn't suck, and I'd be fine with running it.

If I'm doing matches where I have 120 seconds to get into position, dial dope, do 2 rounds each on 5 targets with different inclines and distances, then no. I'm not using my S12, because the random feeding/extracting problems will suck hard.

cant speak on how it shoots just yet, still not a finished project. That said i have owned more savages than i can accurately count. Loved everyone of them. Now my brand new Savage 110FCP in 300 PRC is the most expensive savage i've ever owned. It is also the only one i've ever had real issues with out of the box. Got it home to test fire and the very first round locked the bolt up. Ended up having a burr in the chamber that locked it up tight. This would be my 1st ever experience with dealing with savage directly. The moment they said i had to pay the shipping to send a brand new $1400 (after tax) rifle back to them that failed on the very first shot and had never even had an optic on it yet, yeah that moment, was the moment that makes this the LAST new savage i'll ever own. Ended up taking it to a local smith out of my own pocket to be corrected.

The good so far
I bought it because regardless what anything feels or thinks, it cycled smoother and felt better than any of the other offerings local to me. Tried christensen arms (overprice 700 with a cute name), bergara (i liked it, had obvious issues that killed the sale for me) Tikka and howa both were nice, never owned a ruger i didn't regret so i ignored the RPR, and finally the thompson center LRR. All had shortcomings that were very insulting for the price point. A lot of what i have seen is more brand loyalty and excuses regardless of price point or brand itself. I used to always default to savage because its what i know. I know how to fix them and make them do what they need to do. Every savage i have ever owned has had some type of minor issues. This new one was not minor, and made me have a disdain for the company itself. That said, the last 3 remington 700s i've own have made my mind up so strongly if you gave me one id sell it instantly before ever trying it. 10 year spread, 3 rifles, all 3 liked jamming up, had feed issues, and two of them would fire randomly even sitting in the corner of the stand not even being touched.

So for all the savage haters out there this is my personal experience, not repeated internet bull shit. I dont shoot matches so my current build will suit me wonderfully. It might see 200 rounds of factory 300 prc a year, maybe. So for me its going to be an accurate hard hitter that feeds flawlessly and will be a lot of fun. That said, the next time i plan to spend big money on a rifle, im starting with a custom action and going from there.

I like savage, just not the company as of late.
My current build as of today and the day i got it home.
vir210.jpg

sny44i.jpg

I've learned from this build, and looking at everything i could see in person within the Houston area, ALL of them priced between $1000-$2000 are shit when you look at what you are getting vs the cost. You want things done correctly, you will have to do it yourself. Hence why my next one will start on a custom action.
To many people care more about a "name" and bragging rights than they do what you really get for your money.
I used to think savage was the bee's knees and i was correct until i started wanting more than a basic hunting rifle.

To the OP.
The elite precision is a nice rifle, personally i didn't like the chassis for my needs. Be sure it feeds correctly. MDT will do you right and send different length magazine catches if necessary to get it going like it should. Like others have stated. Remove and locktight the scope rail screws. (regardless of brand, everyone should do this). Enjoy it. Its hard to beat in that price point in reality. Even if you bought it at retail.