• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wide FOV spotter

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I'm trying to find a spotting scope with better optics than the Bushnell Legend T 15-45, but with a similar FOV. Really struggling to find anything.

For reference, the Legend FOV is 180' @1000yd on 15x, 60' @1000yd on 45x

Even the Leupold mk4 and gold ring spotters, on 12x show 156'. I'm really not sure how Bushnell has pulled such a large FOV out of that thing.

I've used the Razor HD 11-33, and it feels a little light on quality, so I can't say I'm interested in that. Any suggestions?

I have an Optolyth TBG80 spotter. The glass is quite good. Good condition used ones can be had on eBay for less than the cost of your Bushnell.

I'll convert the field of view specs from meters to feet / yards.

The 20x wide angle fixed eyepiece:
178' @ 1093.6 yds

The 30x wide angle fixed reticle eyepiece:
123' @ 1093.6 yards

The 20-60 variable eyepiece:
108' @ 1093.6 yds @ 20x
66' @ 1093.6 yds @ 60x

For comparison sake, @ 45x my variable eyepiece would have a fov of about 81.75' @ 1000meters (1093.6yds).

Last edited:
I have an Optolyth TBG80 spotter. The glass is quite good. Good condition used ones can be had on eBay for less than the cost of your Bushnell.

178' @ 1093.6 yds

123' @ 1093.6 yards

108' @ 1093.6 yds @ 20x
66' @ 1093.6 yds @ 60x

For comparison sake, @ 45x my variable eyepiece would have a fov of about 81.75' @ 1000meters (1093.6yds).

Well, adding this to my very short list of potential replacements! Thank you.

Hope some more chime in with ideas.

I know an Android phone pic won't do much to help give you an idea of where it is in glass quality, but I'll take one in a minute and add it here.

Pics from a phone suck. Looking through the spotter eyepiece, I can easily read the warning label on the lower left corner of the center window. It's 235yds.

I had a Bushnell T series for about a week. @Skookum had me set it up next to his Kowa TSN4 for comparison sake, and we looked at some Air Force resolution charts.

I listed the Bushnell T on eBay the next day. I wanted glass like the Kowa, but I also wanted a reticle. This TBG 80HD stacks up quite well to his TSN4. Similar performance. I got it on eBay for 300$ and came with a 20-60 variable eyepiece.

The reticle eyepiece cost me more than the scope. I ordered the eyepiece direct from a dealer in Velen, Germany.

Last edited:
Reactions: D-SIL and DP425
I know an Android phone pic won't do much to help give you an idea of where it is in glass quality, but I'll take one in a minute and add it here.

Pics from a phone suck. Looking through the spotter eyepiece, I can easily read the warning label on the lower left corner of the center window. It's 235yds.

I had a Bushnell T series for about a week. @Skookum had me set it up next to his Kowa TSN4 for comparison sake, and we looked at some Air Force resolution charts.

I listed the Bushnell T on eBay the next day. I wanted glass like the Kowa, but I also wanted a reticle. This TBG 80HD stacks up quite well to his TSN4. Similar performance. I got it on eBay for 300$ and came with a 20-60 variable eyepiece.

The reticle eyepiece cost me more than the scope. I ordered the eyepiece direct from a dealer in Velen, Germany.
Lol
I compared my legend T to my buddy’s Kowa 883 recently.
It’s a stomp festival!

That said I’m still liking my Legend T.
It just works and seeing trace and mirage are no problem.
Anf I like the reticle.

Reactions: ken226

178' @ 1093.6 yds

123' @ 1093.6 yards

108' @ 1093.6 yds @ 20x
66' @ 1093.6 yds @ 60x

So it looks like 156' at 1000yd. Still a little shy of the 180' the legend-T claims.

I'm wondering if that 180' claim is accurate. I cannot find anything at all, that will come within even 20' from 180'.

Zeiss Victory Harpia 85 has a FOV of 189' @ 1000yd on 22x.

It's also $3700. A little too rich for my use. That's well into the price range of my BTX.

Celestron Regal II 65mm.

add a

XW20 20mm Eyepiece from Pentax.

YUGE. ~19x magnification.

If you feel like you need a little more Mag, and less FOV, then the 14mm XW will give you about 27.5X.

...and with the above scope, or one of the Pentax scopes, you are not tied to some SOB proprietary bayonet mount. You get to use UNIVERSAL 1.25" astronomical eyepieces, of which there are about 1,000.

So it looks like 156' at 1000yd. Still a little shy of the 180' the legend-T claims.

I'm wondering if that 180' claim is accurate. I cannot find anything at all, that will come within even 20' from 180'.

Yes, but at 20x. That eyepiece won't go down to 15x, or the field of view would be higher. Field of view increases as magnification decreases

Last edited:
Yes, but at 20x. That eyepiece won't go down to 15x, or the field of view would be higher. Field of view increases as magnification decreases
Right. But I need the FOV. About 12x or more w/ around 180'@1000' FOV for the low end with really good glass is what I'm looking for. What it could do at 15x doesn't really matter if it won't go to 15x

Right. But I need the FOV. About 12x or more w/ around 180'@1000' FOV for the low end with really good glass is what I'm looking for. What it could do at 15x doesn't really matter if it won't go to 15x

Ok, I get ya.

Most of the interchangeable eyepiece spotters bottom out at 20x. You might have to save up for that zeiss?

The vintage Bushnell spacemasters had decent glass, and a 15x eyepiece was available. I'm not sure what the field of view was like.

The glass is better than the Bushnell T in the ones I've looked through.

@Skookum knows more about spacemasters than most. Perhaps he will know more.

Ok, I get ya.

Most of the interchangeable eyepiece spotters bottom out at 20x. You might have to save up for that zeiss?

The vintage Bushnell spacemasters had decent glass, and a 15x eyepiece was available. I'm not sure what the field of view was like.

The glass is better than the Bushnell T in the ones I've looked through.

@Skookum knows more about spacemasters than most. Perhaps he will know more.
I have 6 Spacemasters...they all have either 25x or 20x fixed eyepieces.

I don't know the field of view specs, other than it is more than plenty to see BOTH the target...AND the max ordinate while spotting for a 308win at 1K yards.

I haven't needed anything more as of yet.

Just about any 20x-30x eyepiece gives a substantially greater FOV than a variable.

If not on target --pun intended--at least my question may be of value anyway as it sure is related. Isn't the Harpia the 20-60x60 brother to the Hensoldt 15-45x60?

I have 6 Spacemasters...they all have either 25x or 20x fixed eyepieces.

I don't know the field of view specs, other than it is more than plenty to see BOTH the target...AND the max ordinate while spotting for a 308win at 1K yards.

I haven't needed anything more as of yet.

Just about any 20x-30x eyepiece gives a substantially greater FOV than a variable.

Yea
The FOV on the fixed Eyepieces is impressive.

@Steelhead
@DP425

Indeed, the wide angle fixed eyepieces are impressive.

The 20x eyepiece for the 60 and 66mm kowas shows a 173' field of view @ 1000 yds.

That's at 20x. Thats pretty damned impressive.

So, I'm guessing that eyepiece fits scopes like this one?

Of course, the downside is, no reticle..

Last edited:
@Steelhead
@DP425

Indeed, the wide angle fixed eyepieces are impressive.

The 20x eyepiece for the 60 and 66mm kowas shows a 173' field of view @ 1000 yds.

That's at 20x. Thats pretty damned impressive.

So, I'm guessing that eyepiece fits scopes like this one?

Of course, the downside is, no reticle..
602 and possibly the 663/664.

no reticle in Kowa’s anyway
:(

602 and possibly the 663/664.

no reticle in Kowa’s anyway
:(

There's an Optolyth g80hd compact on eBay. Currently @ 350$.

I been thinking about sniping it, but I already got 2. I'm not sure which, if any eyepieces comes with it though.

I really like my 8-40 Bushnell elite with h32 reticle for PRS type matches. Awesome FOV. The Athlon Cronus tactical has similar magnification but different reticles.

I was disappointed with my Pentax 80 ED. Variable eyepiece was good for distant detail but not for spotting steel at distance. I bought a 20mm eyepiece and it equates to 28x. Super wide angle and clarity is superb.

I can say positively that it isn't the USO observation scope, it's about as narrow as they come, built like a tank. Great deals if you can find one and they have their uses but don't be fooled into thinking it's a typical spotter or has any useful FOV. It is what it is.

Depending on application, IMO Kowa is hard to beat though I don't know much about their FOV compared to others only that it was "enough" for me. Their 60x models with the angled variable eyepiece? Best one I ever used for spotting 5.56 trace out to 600m, just super easy. Clear. Nice. Not a field item though, it's something you gotta take care of.