• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wild River Ranch goes thermal

HTR707

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
Rockport, TX
I finally went for it. I could not take the heat so to speak, LOL.
smiley_abused.gif
My good friend and colleague, Victor at TNVC, was gracious enough to send me the TAM-14 for T & E this month.

After one night in the field on a dark moon, it became evident that this device would increase my hog killing % by yet another 100%. The first doubling of my capability came with NVD's. However, as most of you know, NVD's do not work well in fog or rain, and they lose a great deal of their range in dark moon conditions, even when you have an IR illumination source. After all, you still have to detect the animal you are hunting, and if you can only see it from 100 yards or less (which might happen on a new moon with a little ground fog) your hunt is not likely to be very successful.

In comes the TAM-14. I decided to purchase the demo unit after I was so impressed with its unique properties. This unit is the smallest Thermal Imager on the market. It is essentially the size of a PVS-14 with a dual-battery, and it can be helmet or weapon mounted, though thus far, I have only used it as a hand-held device. It served its purpose well like that. It is powered by 2 CR123 batteries, which last about 4-6 hours on continuous use. When switching on / off, you might get 4-5 hunts out of them. The unit has 4 reticules and has an internal 2X digital zoom feature. It has the same focus options as a PVS-14, i.e obj. lens and diopter adjustment at the eyepiece. It comes with a raised picatinny mount. It has a soft rubber eyecup and a flip open obj. lens cover.

On this night, I took a client on a "combat hunt." This time a mobile vehicle-mounted killer patrol, using the Monster truck. We sat in the back rack, and I scanned around with the TAM-14, then when we saw hogs, I would paint them with the IR laser, so that all those with D-740's or PVS-4's could see the spot to which I was looking. I can see the heat signature so much farther than NVD's that they have to simply watch the IR laser designator until we close the range. The first group of pigs was near a milo field. We dismounted and stalked up to them, but they spooked and ran into the milo, so we got back in and WAHOO'ed down the mowed paths between the fields. Finally, we saw one of the boars break out, right in front of the truck, and my client lit into him, killing him near the ditch, with my 6.8 SPC, 12" barrel, using a Barnes 85 grain TSX. Did I mention this is FUN!

We shot another one a few hours later in some tall grass. and then I shot yet another sow near the cabin, before I could even get back to the house, with my suppressed Ruger 77/44. It was a 300 grain XTP subsonic to the neck.

The TAM-14 is incredible. I can see heat signatures up to 600 yards away, but I cannot identify them until I am about 200 yards in, so I think I will eventually need the Germanium 3X magnifier. It is very expensive, so I hope you guys will book some hunts. Please PM me for details on guided hunts. I am upgrading my equipment specifically so that I can deliver a better experience for my hog hunters.

Enjoy.

<span style="font-weight: bold">My client and his hog. The PVS-14 was taken off the gun for the pic.</span>
DSCF2077.jpg

DSCF2075.jpg

Re: Wild River Ranch goes thermal

thanks for all the PM's guys. The website will be up shortly. I had to update it to reflect the new equipment the ranch has procured.