• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will a Moderator flash hider help suppress the muzzle blast on a 10.5 AR15?

TexPatriot

Two Star General
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I have a PSA 10.5 pistol thats looks basically like an XM177. I'd like to designate it as a truck gun but know if I ever have to use it in that role without earpro It's going to stun and disorient not to mention further damage my hearing.

In keeping with the Colt Commando look and handiness, would adding a Moderator help muffle the muzzle blast so it's not like having a stun grenade going off in the truck or house? I know it's still going to be loud but is there any noticeable improvement?

Reactions: Eli17L
I have an xm177 cloneish built in process. I have been looking into the flash hiders from retro rifles. Seem like it would help with the blast and concussion from the 10.5 inch barrel.

The real Colt moderator is an NFA regulated device; most of the repro's are just long flash hider/attachments that look the part and likely will not have the results of the original.

If you're gonna have the length anyways, might as well make it useful and save the repro for fun

The real Colt moderator is an NFA regulated device; most of the repro's are just long flash hider/attachments that look the part and likely will not have the results of the original.

If you're gonna have the length anyways, might as well make it useful and save the repro for fun
Thanks. I think I'll just put my CMMG .22 conversion in it and make it a plinker/trainer.

I have another 10.5 set up like an MK18 that I may put a YH Turbo K on.

If you switch to a faster burning powder it may help with the flash. Most 5.56 isn't loaded for a 10.5" barrel, and there is still burning powder when the bullet leaves the muzzle, which is why so many AR pistols throw fireballs and flash to badly.

This may be a good opportunity to invest in your first can.

The Army taught me that the loud noises fade with time so just keep shooting and the ears get used to it.

PS get a really noisy fan for the bedroom...

Yep...eventually the ringing will drown it out.

Modern_Problems_Require_Modern_Solutions.jpg

I have heard stories where some Recon MARSOC SEAL Rangers would sometimes clear a hut in "Nam" by tossing an XM177 into a room with a string tied to the trigger.

As soon as it hit the floor, they would yank the trigger from the doorway effectively blinding and stunning all occupants of the room....... (NO. Not seriously ! )

In your case, unless you are going to Nam I would consider either a:

Troy Claymore
or
ASR brake with Blast Shield
or
SureFire brake with Warden
or
Noveske Kx3 Pig

Regardless of what ammo you use in your 10", obtain and try this ammo:

./

ETA: Joke obviously.

Last edited:
I have heard stories where some Recon MARSOC SEAL Rangers would sometimes clear a hut in "Nam" by tossing an XM177 into a room with a string tied to the trigger.

As soon as it hit the floor, they would yank the trigger from the doorway effectively blinding and stunning all occupants of the room.......

In your case, unless you are going to Nam I would consider either a:

Troy Claymore
or
ASR brake with Blast Shield
or
SureFire brake with Warden
or
Noveske Kx3 Pig

Regardless of what ammo you use in your 10", obtain and try this ammo:

./
I was doing some explosive breach training when I was in An Najaf, utilized the P-Plenty technique and we dropped the walls and roof on a mud hut. Someone might have called me an asshole when I yelled "clear" after it collapsed:D

I would be careful putting on a brake, it can make the concussion worse. Just a birdcage or similar. A can is best advise obviously.
Ammo matters a great deal too, choose wisely.

PB

Reactions: LRRPF52
I have found the spikes barking Spyder to be really effective at reducing blast and flash on my 11.5” inch upper

Attachments

• 1889C49C-E735-49A7-9372-0C98BAD905EB.jpeg
    1889C49C-E735-49A7-9372-0C98BAD905EB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 378
  • F1B0E743-F5D9-41DD-A219-C54BCBE9AAFA.jpeg
    F1B0E743-F5D9-41DD-A219-C54BCBE9AAFA.jpeg
    815 KB · Views: 480
I’ve been looking at that Whitt for as a possibility for my 10.5” Grendel build while waiting on which suppressor to get.

Some years ago i was able to acquire a registered 177 moderator. I cant say that it makes the blast any quieter but it does take the sharp crack away. I have used it on 10 1/4 “, 12 1/2” barrels and on a Shrike .

I’ve been looking at that Whitt for as a possibility for my 10.5” Grendel build while waiting on which suppressor to get.
Dead Air Keymount brake w/ KeyMo and JMac Customs BDS-37 blast diffuser. Works surprisingly well. It's what I run on my 14.5" M4 when I don't have one of my cans on it. It doesn't make it any quieter, but it does seem to throw the blast downrange, compared to all around the shooter. 👍🏼

Seriously, for $600, tax stamp and all, and supposedly a 90 day wait, you can have a YHM turbo. Everything else is throwing money away. Idgaf what you put on that gun, a couple rounds inside a truck will rattle your world and be lucky if you don’t pop your ear drums if it’s not an actual suppressor. Pony up and buy one.

Some years ago i was able to acquire a registered 177 moderator. I cant say that it makes the blast any quieter but it does take the sharp crack away. I have used it on 10 1/4 “, 12 1/2” barrels and on a Shrike .
My understanding of the moderator was it changes the pitch of the rifle and made the VC think it was someone other than American forces there. They said it did very little for real noise.

Reactions: TexPatriot
At this point I think I'm going with the Turbo K as I'm trying to keep the overall length as short as possible.

I was using my truck tailgate as a makeshift bench, plus the bed acts as a brass catcher. Between the shooting, checking and changing targets, adjusting sights, I forgot to slide my earpro down when I went to shoot again.

The sound of a 10.5 without earpro in an aluminum truck bed went PA-WAA.... before it stopped registering and the right stirrup bone said fuckit.

Reactions: TxWelder35