• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

William Buck Memorial Postal Matches

Larry, good February day. Even on Valentine’s Day, I needed some aroma therapy.
Missed the January calendar due to a death in the family.
First time shooting this target. Definitely more challenging.
One of my fellow shooters down the line asked what I was shooting. I told him 22 and he says he wants to get one. I had to tell him if he jumps in be prepared to be frustrated. He asked what I meant. I told him it comes down to four variables that are always in play. Man, rifle, ammo, and environment, and if any one or more are off, be prepared to be frustrated.
I didn’t have the heart to tell him about flyers.
Here’s my February submission for Factory Rifle.
Please make sure I scored this correctly.
Thanks, John

IMG_0013.jpeg

Larry, good February day. Even on Valentine’s Day, I needed some aroma therapy.
Missed the January calendar due to a death in the family.
First time shooting this target. Definitely more challenging.
One of my fellow shooters down the line asked what I was shooting. I told him 22 and he says he wants to get one. I had to tell him if he jumps in be prepared to be frustrated. He asked what I meant. I told him it comes down to four variables that are always in play. Man, rifle, ammo, and environment, and if any one or more are off, be prepared to be frustrated.
I didn’t have the heart to tell him about flyers.
Here’s my February submission for Factory Rifle.
Please make sure I scored this correctly.
Thanks, John

View attachment 8349066
John, good shooting. Scoring looks good! I have your score posted!

Larry

Guys, a brief update on the Eley X-Shot target. I have attached below the screen shot from the app that scores the target. It flags any bulls that need further review, then you can "pinch" them for a close up view, and check against the paper target. Lastly, if you think the score from the app is not correct, then you can enter the revised score. I have a real hard time seeing the dot on this target, due to the light red color, on the cream color paper (not a lot of contrast between the bull and background). Also, the paper is not treated like you see on an ARA target, and the thickness is not as good as an ARA target. Also be aware that you need to take a careful picture, full straight on with a darker background behind the target. I laid the target on a navy blue comforter on a bed and it worked out fine. Lastly, if you shoot this target and need to plug any bulls for either x-count or to check the bull score, this match uses best edge scoring, so you need to touch the dot or ring with your plug.

I would shoot this if Eley allows a "postal match" type format for monthly submissions, but I don't recommend it for our use in the matches we shoot, unless we have several folks interested in shooting it. In the mean time, if anyone wants to shoot it and submit it, I will post the results like any other match we have so we can keep track of the scores. I'll post this one in case we have any other interested shooters.

Larry

IMG_2917.PNG
IMG_2918.PNG

Thought I would have nice conditions to shoot in this morning but the weather services missed the wind by about 150%. Tried the new 10 shot target but didn't manage to score any shots that didn't touch the outer ring.

10-Shot Rifle Match 50 Yards - Outdoor
50 - Martini- Custom Anschutz 54/Eley Club XTRA on 2/20/24
50 - Martini- 2500X(Shilen)/Eley Match on 2/20/24

Unlimited Match - Outdoor
200/11X - Martini- Custom Anschutz 54/Eley Club XTRA on 2/20/24
195/12X - Martini- 2500X (Shilen)/Eley Match on 2/20/24

vfzTBKS.jpeg

Ow6WL61.jpeg

dbbbYrA.jpeg

OLQ66nB.jpeg

Thought I would have nice conditions to shoot in this morning but the weather services missed the wind by about 150%. Tried the new 10 shot target but didn't manage to score any shots that didn't touch the outer ring.

10-Shot Rifle Match 50 Yards - Outdoor
50 - Martini- Custom Anschutz 54/Eley Club XTRA on 2/20/24
50 - Martini- 2500X(Shilen)/Eley Match on 2/20/24

200/11X - Martini- Custom Anschutz 54/Eley Club XTRA on 2/20/24
195/12X - Martini- 2500X (Shilen)/Eley Match on 2/20/24

vfzTBKS.jpeg

Ow6WL61.jpeg

dbbbYrA.jpeg

OLQ66nB.jpeg
Randy, I have your scores posted. The 10-shot really needs a calm day to shoot it well...

Larry

Reactions: Martini
Greyknife, I have your score posted. I like this target, with the rounds on each bull pretty close, and no real fliers. Well done, you're getting the hang of it! Are you using wind flags while you shoot?
Larry, Thanks for your compliment. I always want a 200 with lots of X's, but with my $300 rifle and lower priced ammo I guess I should not expect perfection. I have two wind flags from my ARA days, but gusts do happen. I had a great 100 yard Mini -Palma going with a less than1 inch 5 shot group(50) on one target and a 45 and 44 on the other two. Unfortunately I then had a terrible last 4th target which even had a zero. I will keep trying as our weather here in Minnesota has been OK for outdoor shooting. Ralph

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Shot four rifles this morning. My T1X continues to throw fliers - it's up for a JB/wire brush cleaning and perhaps a laminated stock now that aftermarket stocks are allowed in Factory.

My Winchester 69A had taken to firing when the bolt closed (not uncommon with old, worn 69A's and it's big brother the M43 for that matter but it's not safe like that. I thoroughly degreased the bolt, disassembled the trigger adjustment, and reset the trigger pressure to 2-3#. I put about 25 rounds through it without an issue but didn't have enough mild wind to shoot a target. The primary issue is crud built up reducing friction and possibly the adjustment screw working loose.

Lastly, I had put my Green Mountain fluted bull barrel 10/22 into a IB Jennings stock and it shot poorly in Match. I boro-scoped the bore and found quite a lot of crud built up in the barrel as well as a black build up ahead of the chamber. Attached the carbon buildup with a chamber brush and gave the bore about 10 strokes of a wire brush with JB bore past which left it pretty well clean. I added a couple washers underneath the stock screw as there was a possibility it was too long for this stock plus a couple of thickness of aluminum tape between the front bedding and the barrel so I could torque the stock bolt to 30 in-lb. Anyway as nearly as I could tell with the wind gusting to 15-20 mph by this time, accuracy had improved greatly. This is the 3rd stock I've had this barreled action in and it has never shot as well as it did in the skeletonized stinger style stock I had it in many years ago.

I normally clean my 10/22's and Martini's with a trimmer line pull through cleaner using BoreTech rimfire blend followed by one patch of Ed's red each time I shoot them after leaving a little bit of BoreTech C4 on a Q-Tip ahead of the chamber to soak and then do a brush cleaning about once each brick. Perhaps, this is not adequate.

Randy

Factory Target Match
185/9x - Martini - CZ457 MTR/SK Standard Plus on 2/23/24
145/2x - Martini - Tikka T1X/Fiocchi MAXAC on 2/23/24

RjHbICk.jpeg

XKS61SD.jpeg

Shot four rifles this morning. My T1X continues to throw fliers - it's up for a JB/wire brush cleaning and perhaps a laminated stock now that aftermarket stocks are allowed in Factory.

My Winchester 69A had taken to firing when the bolt closed (not uncommon with old, worn 69A's and it's big brother the M43 for that matter but it's not safe like that. I thoroughly degreased the bolt, disassembled the trigger adjustment, and reset the trigger pressure to 2-3#. I put about 25 rounds through it without an issue but didn't have enough mild wind to shoot a target. The primary issue is crud built up reducing friction and possibly the adjustment screw working loose.

Lastly, I had put my Green Mountain fluted bull barrel 10/22 into a IB Jennings stock and it shot poorly in Match. I boro-scoped the bore and found quite a lot of crud built up in the barrel as well as a black build up ahead of the chamber. Attached the carbon buildup with a chamber brush and gave the bore about 10 strokes of a wire brush with JB bore past which left it pretty well clean. I added a couple washers underneath the stock screw as there was a possibility it was too long for this stock plus a couple of thickness of aluminum tape between the front bedding and the barrel so I could torque the stock bolt to 30 in-lb. Anyway as nearly as I could tell with the wind gusting to 15-20 mph by this time, accuracy had improved greatly. This is the 3rd stock I've had this barreled action in and it has never shot as well as it did in the skeletonized stinger style stock I had it in many years ago.

I normally clean my 10/22's and Martini's with a trimmer line pull through cleaner using BoreTech rimfire blend followed by one patch of Ed's red each time I shoot them after leaving a little bit of BoreTech C4 on a Q-Tip ahead of the chamber to soak and then do a brush cleaning about once each brick. Perhaps, this is not adequate.

Randy

Factory Target Match
185/9x - Martini - CZ457 MTR/SK Standard Plus on 2/23/24
145/2x - Martini - Tikka T1X/Fiocchi MAXAC on 2/23/24

RjHbICk.jpeg

XKS61SD.jpeg
Randy, I have your scores posted.

Larry

Todays targets

Match-Grade Match
190/7X - Martini - Custom Ruger 10/22 (Kidd Barrel)/Eley Semi-Auto Benchrest Precision on 02/24/24

190/11X - Martini- 2500X Muller 5R/Lapua Midas + on 02/24/24
200/15X - Martini- Custom 40X (Shilen Barrel)/Eley Match on 02/24/24

mAaJ7Ai.jpeg

PwHRj5L.jpeg

3qepCnK.jpeg
Randy, I have your scores posted. Good shooting with your 40X!

Larry

Larry,

I believe that this is my best ever target with my 40X, certainly best on the newer more difficult target. Just goes to show for shooters at my level that a 2500X or Turbo isn't necessary to shoot a good score. Old school custom benchrest rifles like my 40X or Anschutz 54 are capable of good scores with the right ammo. I do think my 2500X's are easier to shoot well.

Randy

Hello Larry, Here is my "Leap" February target. We had a big rainstorm and lots of wind so I struggled to get this one done. Couldn't do my usual Factory Rifle target, but I'm glad I could at least get this one in. 52 degrees and head winds of about 15 mph.

Attachments

• Mini Palma February.jpg
    Mini Palma February.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 11
Hello Larry, Here is my "Leap" February target. We had a big rainstorm and lots of wind so I struggled to get this one done. Couldn't do my usual Factory Rifle target, but I'm glad I could at least get this one in. 52 degrees and head winds of about 15 mph.
Gdawg09, I have your score posted! Good shooting in those windy conditions!

Reactions: Gdawg09
I was at the indoor range here in Wisconsin, doing final prep for the Nationals coming up next weekend. I was able to shoot this target after completing my testing. Boy, a guy could get spoiled shooting indoors all the time. Shooting indoor has it's own set of gremlins you have to deal with, but it does help make sure your equipment is fine tuned before heading back outside. I actually can't wait to get back outside in warmer weather.

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 7.15.18 PM.png

Hello all, first time posting and first time attempting the WBMPM event. Thanks for hosting it and looking forward to many more submissions.

Got a chance to enjoy the beautiful Missouri weather today and get some trigger time.

Patrick / CZ_STL

50yd Factory Rifle Match -- Score 145, 3X

CZ 457 AT-One 16.5" barrel
Bushnell Match Pro 6-24
Bald Eagle Rest, Protektor Rear Bag
SK STD+
Outdoors, 65 F, 15 MPH tail wind with some left to right gusts

WBMPM 50yd MAR24.jpgIMG_4240.jpg

Hello all, first time posting and first time attempting the WBMPM event. Thanks for hosting it and looking forward to many more submissions.

Got a chance to enjoy the beautiful Missouri weather today and get some trigger time.

Patrick / CZ_STL

Bushnell Match Pro 6-24
SK STD+

View attachment 8363802View attachment 8363807
CZ_StL - Welcome to the matches! I have your score posted (See the first post in this thread). Let me know if you have any questions. Also, when I reviewed your target, it looks like you have 5X's where the bullet touched the dot. I posted your score with the 5X, so please double check the target and let me know if you agree?

Thanks,

Larry

CZ_StL - Welcome to the matches! I have your score posted (See the first post in this thread). Let me know if you have any questions. Also, when I reviewed your target, it looks like you have 5X's where the bullet touched the dot. I posted your score with the 5X, so please double check the target and let me know if you agree?

Thanks,

Larry
Larry - thanks so much, I missed the two on the top row. Thanks for catching that. I might try printing them on some heavier paper and see if that makes it any easier. Thanks again for organizing and hosting these matches. Patrick

Larry - thanks so much, I missed the two on the top row. Thanks for catching that. I might try printing them on some heavier paper and see if that makes it any easier. Thanks again for organizing and hosting these matches. Patrick
Welcome!

Heavier paper will make the targets easier to score and combined with the use of a scoring plug will increase your scores.

Randy

Tried to shoot a couple of targets prior to the front moving in bringing wind and rain. I was partly sucessful.

Iron Sight Match - 50 Yds
195/4X - Martini- Anschutz 1411/Aguila Golden Eagle Match Pistol on 02/15/24
193/4X - Martini- BSA Martini Model 8/SK Standard + on 1/03/24

aWlDDl9.jpeg

xgu3IjP.jpeg

Tried to shoot a couple of targets prior to the front moving in bringing wind and rain. I was partly sucessful.

Iron Sight Match - 50 Yds
195/4X - Martini- Anschutz 1411/Aguila Golden Eagle Match Pistol on 02/15/24
193/4X - Martini- BSA Martini Model 8/SK Standard + on 1/03/24

aWlDDl9.jpeg

xgu3IjP.jpeg
Randy, well done! I have your scores posted!

Larry

Patrick / CZ_STL

Bushnell Match Pro 6-24
SK STD+

View attachment 8363802View attachment 8363807
Good shooting and welcome aboard!!!

Randy, well done! I have your scores posted!

Larry
Larry,

Looks like my scores got posted in Mini-palma rather than Iron sight.

Had I realized how much wind the wind was going to blow, I probably wouldn't have set up to shoot. Given that, I was pretty pleased with the results given the wind situation. I'm not an experience aperture sight shooter so I don't know what the proper technique for shoot iron sights in the wind should be. Holding off like I do with a scope doesn't really work for me. Mostly, I wait for the wind indicator to get within a hash mark of center so as to shoot in a less wind condition. The wind usually isn't consistent enough to adjust the sights for a prevailing condition.

Randy

Larry,

Looks like my scores got posted in Mini-palma rather than Iron sight.

Had I realized how much wind the wind was going to blow, I probably wouldn't have set up to shoot. Given that, I was pretty pleased with the results given the wind situation. I'm not an experience aperture sight shooter so I don't know what the proper technique for shoot iron sights in the wind should be. Holding off like I do with a scope doesn't really work for me. Mostly, I wait for the wind indicator to get within a hash mark of center so as to shoot in a less wind condition. The wind usually isn't consistent enough to adjust the sights for a prevailing condition.

Randy
Randy, thanks for letting me know. I moved them to Iron Sight. You did good waiting for the calmer spots in the wind, especially with iron sights. We should take that as a lesson for our scope shooting. If applied, it might just help raise our scores there!

Larry

Starting to see some activity up in my region of Northern CA. Here are a couple of my submissions for March.
Thanks for doing this. I have the Jbell scorecard scanned with Ballistic-X calculations, but the system says the file is too large. Let me know if you need it and I'll figure a way to shrink it for you.

Attachments

• JBell March 2024.jpeg
    JBell March 2024.jpeg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Mini Palma March.jpg
    Mini Palma March.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 11
First target submission. Joined in December and was just declared cancer free this past week. Looking forward to more range time.
BergaraGumpa, good shooting! I have your score posted. Also, glad to hear you are cancer-free and glad to have you shooting with us!

Very best regards,

Larry

Starting to see some activity up in my region of Northern CA. Here are a couple of my submissions for March.
Thanks for doing this. I have the Jbell scorecard scanned with Ballistic-X calculations, but the system says the file is too large. Let me know if you need it and I'll figure a way to shrink it for you.
Gdawg09, no need for the Ballistic-X calcs. I have your scores posted.

Larry

The morning started out well enough with mild winds and not too cool. I shot my best ever score with my Shilen barreled 2500X (almost!) as well as my best ever score with my Muller 5R barreled 2500X. I've been experiment with switching from Eley Match to Lapua in the Muller barrel and I'd have to say I feel it's successful.

From that point onward this is a cautionary tale of trying to stretch out a third target in deteriorating wind conditions. To misquote the late, great Buddy Holly - I fought the wind and the wind won.

200/19X - Martini- 2500X (Shilen)/Eley Match on 3/20/24
200/16X - Martini- 2500X Muller 5R/Lapua Midas + on 03/20/24
190/06X - Martini- Custom Anschutz 54/Eley Club XTRA on 03/20/24

CvWd727.jpeg

0gnhUNd.jpeg

A74kiLi.jpeg

The morning started out well enough with mild winds and not too cool. I shot my best ever score with my Shilen barreled 2500X (almost!) as well as my best ever score with my Muller 5R barreled 2500X. I've been experiment with switching from Eley Match to Lapua in the Muller barrel and I'd have to say I feel it's successful.

From that point onward this is a cautionary tale of trying to stretch out a third target in deteriorating wind conditions. To misquote the late, great Buddy Holly - I fought the wind and the wind won.

200/19X - Martini- 2500X (Shilen)/Eley Match on 3/20/24
200/16X - Martini- 2500X Muller 5R/Lapua Midas + on 03/20/24
190/06X - Martini- Custom Anschutz 54/Eley Club XTRA on 03/20/24

CvWd727.jpeg

0gnhUNd.jpeg

A74kiLi.jpeg
Randy, I love the quote! I need to get that on a t-shirt! That EM lot seems to shoot very well.

Larry

Larry,

Using this lot of Eley match, I shot a 200-17X on the old target with my Shilen barreled 2500X in December, 2022, a 200-15X in July, 2022 and a 200-15X with my 40X last month but have never been able to replicate that success with the Muller barrel and Eley ammo.

Evidently, I was mistaken as the song was the Crickets post Buddy Holly.
Reception wouldn't have been that good in western Oklahoma listening to KNIN (closest non-country radio station) out of Wichita Falls on a very small transitor radio in the late 1950's and early 60's.

Randy

Factory Target Match
190/10x - Martini - CZ457 MTR/SK Standard Plus on 03/27/24
170/10x - Martini - Tikka T1X/Fiocchi MAXAC on 03/27/24
010L9ye.jpeg

83NoTLT.jpeg

Reactions: BowChamp
Factory Target Match
190/10x - Martini - CZ457 MTR/SK Standard Plus on 03/27/24
170/10x - Martini - Tikka T1X/Fiocchi MAXAC on 03/27/24
010L9ye.jpeg

83NoTLT.jpeg
Randy, a question. Which rifle do you think shoots better scores? Tikka T1x or CZ457?

I have your scores posted.

Randy, a question. Which rifle do you think shoots better scores? Tikka T1x or CZ457?

I have your scores posted.
Larry,

The CZ457 MTR is by far the better of my two rifles shooting mid-cost ammo. I haven't done much shooting with Eley or Lapua as I'm sensitive to the ammo cost for everything except unlimited. The CZ MTR is also much easier to shoot for me although some dislike it. I did invest in a custom Edgewood front bag and modified one of my Rock BR rests to accept it which makes a big difference.

Personally, I think the plastic T1X stock with the hard rubber pad between the barrel and the plastic stock limits the accuracy of the Tikka. I'm contemplating replacing the stock with a laminated stock and experimenting with the bedding. Those who have done that over on rimfire central have had mixed results.

The equipment list for ARA factory shows that some competitors have success with the T1X but I don't know what they are doing bedding wise. I don't think the ARA factory rules let you change out the stock but I believe bedding is allowed.

Randy