• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing WIN for Montana, Governor Defies Feds!!!!

Fisky

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
Jamestown, ND
I say good job Governor Schweitzer!!!!!! This is good news for a lot of people I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> BILLINGS, Mont. — Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer says the state will defy federal protections for gray wolves and kill packs that have been hurting elk herds.

Schweitzer also told The Associated Press that he is encouraging livestock owners north of Interstate 90 to shoot wolves that harass their animals. He says state game wardens would stop investigating wolf shootings in that part of the state.

Livestock owners in southern Montana already have authority to shoot wolves that harass their animals.

The Democratic governor says he is fed up with years of litigation that have kept wolves on the endangered species list even as their population has grown to more than 1,700 across the Northern Rockies.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the letter the Governor of Montana sent to Salazar:

(HELENA) – Governor Brian Schweitzer today sent a letter to Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar notifying Interior of new directives regarding wolf management in Montana. Text of the letter below (and attached):

February 16, 2011

The Honorable Ken Salazar
Secretary
U.S. Department of the Interior
1849 C Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20240

Dear Secretary Salazar:

I write to you today regarding wolf management in Montana.

While almost everyone acknowledges that the Northern Rocky Mountain gray wolf population is fully recovered, as the Governor of Montana I am profoundly frustrated by the lack of any actual results that recognize Montana’s rights and responsibilities to manage its wildlife. Montana has for years done everything that has been asked: adopting a model wolf management plan; enacting enabling legislation; and adopting the necessary implementing rules. Our exemplary efforts have been ignored. I cannot continue to ignore the crying need for workable wolf management while Montana waits, and waits, and waits. Therefore, I am now going to take additional necessary steps to protect the interests of Montana’s livestock producers and hunters to the extent that I can within my authorities as governor.

First, for Montana’s northwest endangered wolves (north of Interstate 90), any livestock producers who kill or harass a wolf attacking their livestock will not be prosecuted by Montana game wardens. Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks (FWP) wardens will be directed to exercise their prosecutorial discretion by not investigating or citing anyone protecting their livestock.

Further, I am directing FWP to respond to any livestock depredation by removing whole packs that kill livestock, wherever this may occur.

Still further, to protect the elk herds in Montana’s Bitterroot Valley that have been most adversely affected by wolf predation, I am directing FWP, to the extent allowed by the Endangered Species Act, to cull these wolves by whole-pack removal to enable elk herds to recover.

At this point, I can do nothing less and still maintain my commitment as Governor to uphold the rights of our citizens to protect their property and to continue to enjoy Montana’s cherished wildlife heritage and traditions.

Sincerely,

Brian Schweitzer
GOVERNOR

</div></div>

Re: WIN for Montana, Governor Defies Feds!!!!

Wow, when will this happen in Wisconsin???

This is good news as idaho has done the same thing recently by telling the feds they could manage the wolves themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say good job Governor Schweitzer!!!!!! This is good news for a lot of people I think.</div></div>

Agree.

We have them in WA, too, as well as Or.

Wolf info linky

I don't think Wa .gov has the spine for it.

With this and other moves by the state of Montana, I am thinking I see a move in my future. MO better get on the ball if I am going to stay here. Hooray for a governor with a backbone!

That is awesome, treat those fuckers like Big coyotes and shoot everyone of them when they step out of a park.

Now if someone will just test the "Built in MT stays in MT" screw the tax stamp.

Folks
Think about this a bit. It is great in theory, not so great in practice. Do you want to be the individual who pulls the trigger on FEDERALLY protected endangered species?
I am all for removing all the wolves possible, but I would not advocate killing wolves to my neighbors.

Montana FWP is not going to be the organization that comes after you.. It will be the FEDS.

You do not see our Governor suggesting the Montana FWP do the shooting...but instead private individuals...

Who is responsible for removing problem wolves currently? The last I checking it was still APHIS, not M-FWP or private individuals.

The words are great and a step in the proper direction, but until something is done for all the western states at the Federal level, the situation can't get better for wildlife and the agricultural community currently being negatively affected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Further, I am directing FWP to respond to any livestock depredation by removing whole packs that kill livestock, wherever this may occur.

Still further, to protect the elk herds in Montana’s Bitterroot Valley that have been most adversely affected by wolf predation, I am directing FWP, to the extent allowed by the Endangered Species Act, to cull these wolves by whole-pack removal to enable elk herds to recover.

</div></div>

If this letter is correct, he is directing the FWP to get involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DanW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

If this letter is correct, he is directing the FWP to get involved.</div></div>

Sir,

I am not out to be argumentative with my post, but instead to point out the limitations of what the Governor has done. Your quote is the crux of the issue..."to the extinct that the endangered species act allows."

I hope something positive comes from the stance, but a look at WY and ID's current wolf management situations may be the best indicator of the near future for MT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks... Think about this a bit. It is great in theory, not so great in practice. Do you want to be the individual who pulls the trigger on FEDERALLY protected endangered species?

-snip-

The words are great and a step in the proper direction, but until something is done for all the western states at the Federal level, the situation can't get better for wildlife and the agricultural community currently being negatively affected. </div></div>

There was a post on another forum that stated (and correctly, I believe) that this amounts to political chest thumping unless he successfully sponsors legislation giving authority to Montana Law Enforcement to arrest federal agents seeking to enforce Federal law on Montana land. We all know that would never fly, either in principal or execution.

John

"Save an Elk Smoke a Pack a Day"

Bumper sticker I seen on the back of a Ranch Truck the other day.....LMFAO

They don't have enough Feds to go after all the ranchers up there. I am not saying that nobody will be prosecuted, but the Feds can't do it without support of the locals. That includes every federal agency. I know this from experience. At least the governor had the set to say the Feds won't get any support from his state. He is just standing up for what is right. Not many people are willing to do that these days........huge blow to the federal government.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sss done deal </div></div>

I've heard this works around my area.

I was coyote hunting and had 2 large dogs come in. I knew what they were. Asked the land owner if he had any strays coming through. He smiled and said shoot 'em int the guts and let 'em die in the swamp. I don't have deep enough pockets to pay the fine so I didn't drop the hammer. Others have.

Hopefully the states give the current POTUS the middle finger on this issue.

All rights not therefore mentioned shall be reserved to the States! Then again, I guess it's just a piece of paper to some. Might they realize that any other "Law" or "Contract" may also then just be a piece of paper, subject to "Interpretation"?

Re/SSS

, dude didn't bother with the 2nd "S"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Officers found the skinned carcass of a male wolf dumped near Rainy Pass in Washington's North Cascades.</div></div>

News link

? maybe somebody was making a statement ?

Making a statement or looking for under hide transmitter. Shoot the small ones, they haven't been collared yet.

The radio locators are a "dog collar" device, not under the skin.

News_Colorado_Wolf-300x0.JPG

There have been a few of those that mysteriously stopped transmitting.

First off, kudos to the Gov, for taking the stance. But He backed way off his stance once the House up here started talking about nullifying the fed endangered species act here in MT.

But, if the FWP doesn't investigate and prosecute, what federal agents are going to? As mentioned above, they have limited resources. I also wonder how they would even know about an incident? Are they going to start advocating for neighbors to start calling in on neighbors?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are they going to start advocating for neighbors to start calling in on neighbors? </div></div>

Does this surprise you? They've been doing it already for years with various other "crimes".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are they going to start advocating for neighbors to start calling in on neighbors? </div></div>

Does this surprise you? They've been doing it already for years with various other "crimes".

</div></div>

I guess my point didn't come across right. I am not saying they wouldn't do that, I am saying good luck with that up here... I find it highly unlikely that they will devote much in the way of resources to track wolves, and trying to find/prosecute anyone who shoots them. That is the job they rely on local agencies like the MT FWP to do. If the FWP stops doing that, well they are in a bind, they will withhold money in an attempt to force compliance. I don't see a new federal wolf agency to come up here. Perhpas the Forest Service isn't doing anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike in Seattle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The radio locators are a "dog collar" device, not under the skin.

News_Colorado_Wolf-300x0.JPG

There have been a few of those that mysteriously stopped transmitting.
</div></div>

They did bust a guy in the Winthrop/Mazama area already and that poor bastard is going to lose everything.If anyone in WA thinks "Queen Christine" will stand up to the Feds they are sadly mistaken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They did bust a guy in the Winthrop/Mazama area already and that poor bastard is going to lose everything.</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">If</span> it's the guy I heard about,,

He was shipping a hide to a taxidermist in Canada.
, and did not get the packaging sealed tightly enough,
, and it was leaking blood.

Shipping company (not knowing exactly what was in the box) had to call authorities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone in WA thinks "Queen Christine" will stand up to the Feds they are sadly mistaken.</div></div>

frown.gif
,, lack of spinal support structures.

Edit;

Montana news article from 5 Nov about hunters/wolves

If you should "accidently" shoot a wolf with a GPS collar on it, proceed with said collar to the nearest truck stop or rest area. Toss said collar up on/in the back of the truck that looks like it is going the farthest.

I know a gal in Florida that found a GPS device on her SUV, courtesy of a controlling ex. He flipped out when he found out his device was headed north on 95 to NY. He just KNEW she was leaving town with the kid! Much hilarity ensued!

There are plenty of people who have adopted the sss theory. Up here in the very northwest part of the state, there are people who cant even let their kids play outside, unsupervised. We had one 2 weeks ago run through a friends yard, and they have a 5 yr old girl. I sincerely hope they start selling tags again up here, it will produce good revenue and thin out the herds.

Recent Headlines...

BILLINGS, Mont. – Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer turned heads when he announced he was sending out state wildlife agents to kill packs of endangered wolves any time they attack livestock or drive down elk numbers.

Yet there's been no immediate change in how the state deals with problem wolves, and Schweitzer's office on Friday backed away from some of his most adamant declarations of defiance against federal wolf protections.

Schweitzer declared in an interview this week that his state would "take action" on its own to remove wolf packs that have caused declines in elk herds along its western border with Idaho.

On Friday, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokesman Ron Aasheim said the agency was awaiting a response from federal officials on a pending state petition to kill those wolves, in an area known as the Bitterroot Valley. A decision from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is due within six weeks.

Schweitzer this week also notified U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar that he had directed wildlife officials to shoot "whole packs that kill livestock, wherever this may occur."

That directive was revised Friday to reflect less-severe policies already in place for the state's more than 500 wolves.
Several measures now before Congress would lift protections for the animals regardless of an order last year from U.S. District Judge Donald Molly that had restored their endangered status. (THIS IS WHAT WE NEED!!)

....The rest of the article...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_on_re_us/us_endangered_wolves_montana_3

NOW...Maybe this will be the beginning to the end of the headaches with wolves and we can get back to managing/hunting them...

U.S. Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., has inserted language into the Senate's Continuing Resolution - the bill that funds the entire national budget - declaring the gray wolf a recovered species in Montana and Idaho

The $1.077 trillion, seven-month spending bill is expected to reach a full Senate vote on Tuesday, and then return to the House of Representatives.

"Jon pushed for this because wolves need to be managed by Montanans who know best how to keep them under control," Tester spokesman Aaron Murphy said on Friday. "This provision delists Montana wolves and returns their management to our state."

Tester's provision is identical to a line item Rep. Mike Simpson, R-Idaho, put in the House budget bill in February. It's also virtually the same as a proposal Tester and fellow Democratic Sen. Max Baucus introduced as a stand-alone bill three weeks ago.

But it's different from Rep. Denny Rehberg's bill, which would remove the gray wolf entirely from Endangered Species Act protection.

Tester's request would reinstate a 2009 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service decision that formally delisted the wolf and moved it to state management. It would also declare that decision off-limits from further court review.

A coalition of environmental and conservation groups challenged that 2009 delisting in court, claiming it improperly let Montana and Idaho manage and hunt wolves while keeping Wyoming wolves under federal protection. The coalition argued wolves in all three states belong to one distinct population segment and shouldn't be managed differently according to state lines.

U.S. District Judge Don Molloy overturned the FWS delisting last August, returning the wolf to federal protection in all three states and canceling planned wolf hunting seasons in Montana and Idaho. His decision has been appealed to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

The federal government and states claim the gray wolf was no longer a threatened species after its population exceeded 150 animals and 15 breeding pairs in the three-state area. Wolf advocates stated in court the population needs to be 2,000 or more to ensure genetic diversity and dispersion. Currently there are more than 1,700 wolves scattered across Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.

"This provision would hand over responsibility for wolves to the states when their approach of late has been anything but responsible," Defenders of Wildlife president Rodger Schlickeisen said in an e-mail statement on Friday. "Idaho Gov. Butch Otter has repeatedly stated his intent to kill as many wolves as possible in Idaho, and Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer recently encouraged ranchers to take the law into their own hands and kill wolves on sight. We should not be rewarding these states for thumbing their noses at the conservation of wolves, wildlife that belongs to all Americans."

Simpson's move had won praise from several conservation groups, including the Montana Wildlife Federation, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Boone and Crockett Club, National Rifle Association and Safari Club International.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"We should not be rewarding these states for thumbing their noses at the conservation of <span style="font-weight: bold">wolves, wildlife that belongs to all Americans"</span> - Defenders of Wildlife president Rodger Schlickeisen.</div></div>

We recognize this shared ownership and would be happy to spread the joy to others. We offer to export our wolves to any American that feels slighted by this legislation and would grieve their absence.

John

I certainly hope they get them under control and soon, I enjoy my fall hunting trips up there, but I do like to occasionally run accross some elk when I am hunting! Don't get me wrong, still the better to be out hunting hard and seeing a few elk than to be working, but the wolves are definitely making it more of a challenge than it needs to be! I couldn't believe the low elk numbers in the Absaroka Beartooth last fall, I was lucky enough to harvest a nice bull, but we hunted our asses off and only saw the one elk on the whole trip! We talked to alot of other hunters and they all said the same thing....WE NEED A WOLF SEASON!

wold season they need a wolf eradacation

Kurt,

I think there are a lot of people that share your sentiment, however, whether we like it or not, we have to be very careful about how we approach this as we do NOT have unmitigated power to simply do as we please in a vacuum. There are many prying eyes (who don't live here, and some that do) that have tremendous influence on public policy and eradication is one of the things we have been blamed as having in mind, which plays on peoples fears and then they overreact.

If we show that we can successfully manage a few wolves, I think this whole thing will die down. If we immediately kill every wolf in sight, we can definitely expect more government interference it will be bigger and badder.

I hate politically correct as much as the next guy, but I'm also aware of the playing field. We must be wise as serpents but gentle as doves or we could lose everything. A backlash would not be pretty.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I hate politically correct as much as the next guy, but I'm also aware of the playing field. We must be wise as serpents but gentle as doves or we could lose everything. A backlash would not be pretty.
</div></div>

If by "politically correct" you mean "responsible game management" (as per every other game species in the wild), then I agree.

We need sane strategy for game management of wolves. Neither full scale eradication nor protection is sane strategy. They BOTH play on fears and not being informed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kurt,

I think there are a lot of people that share your sentiment, however, whether we like it or not, we have to be very careful about how we approach this as we do NOT have unmitigated power to simply do as we please in a vacuum. There are many prying eyes (who don't live here, and some that do) that have tremendous influence on public policy and eradication is one of the things we have been blamed as having in mind, which plays on peoples fears and then they overreact.

If we show that we can successfully manage a few wolves, I think this whole thing will die down. If we immediately kill every wolf in sight, we can definitely expect more government interference it will be bigger and badder.

John </div></div>

I agree with what you said we have to tip toe around as to not get the granola eating tree fuckers in an up roar. You know what would make it easier to accept the wolves would to have been at least introduce the native species. Guess we have to live with what are there and at least having a season would be a start. Some times my common sense gets in the way of the pc stuff but i guess you have to play the game so be it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSS </div></div>

Laughing my ass off! <span style="color: #CC0000">I TOTALLY AGREE!!!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSS </div></div>

Isn't this the EXACT kind of thing that gives hunting a bad rap? I think so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSS </div></div>

Isn't this the EXACT kind of thing that gives hunting a bad rap? I think so. </div></div>

This is what happens when you put people in an untenable situation and steal their power and then tie their hands behind their back so they can do nothing about it.

People will do what they have to and in some cases more when pushed. A lot of the anger here has been directed at the wolves when I suspect it is mostly caused by frustration with the way this situation has been handled.

Putting wildlife management responsibility and authority in the hands of MT FWP where is rightfully belongs will help a lot and needs to happen, but it will not put an end to SSS. For some, perhaps, as there is a resolution to their frustration, but for another contingent, who believes they have a right to do whatever they see fit... they give everyone else a bad name.

But this is STILL not justification for federal intervention. Like we discussed in the suppressor thread, making things doubly illegal, does not stop criminals, but it does strip more rights from law-abiding citizens. FWP currently has the authority to deal with people who take the law into their own hands.

John

That and the fact that there are alot more animal fucking tree humping granola eating big city hippies in this country than there was before. And common sense has been thrown out the window.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSS </div></div>

Isn't this the EXACT kind of thing that gives hunting a bad rap? I think so. </div></div>

There's nothing "hunting" in SSS. It's predator control and nothing more.

As for the governor's hot air, he has already said he will veto the legislation if it gets to his desk. He doesn't support the 10th Amendment or the idea of state sovereignty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSS </div></div>

This is what happens when you put people in an untenable situation and steal their power and then tie their hands behind their back so they can do nothing about it.

People will do what they have to and in some cases more when pushed. A lot of the anger here has been directed at the wolves when I suspect it is mostly caused by frustration with the way this situation has been handled.

Putting wildlife management responsibility and authority in the hands of MT FWP where is rightfully belongs will help a lot and needs to happen, but it will not put an end to SSS. For some, perhaps, as there is a resolution to their frustration, but for another contingent, who believes they have a right to do whatever they see fit... they give everyone else a bad name.

But this is STILL not justification for federal intervention. Like we discussed in the suppressor thread, making things doubly illegal, does not stop criminals, but it does strip more rights from law-abiding citizens. FWP currently has the authority to deal with people who take the law into their own hands.

John </div></div>

Agreed wholeheartedly. Sane game management run locally (state level) is ABSOLUTELY the best way to travel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, when will this happen in Wisconsin??? </div></div>

Never the Wolves belong to the Union!!!

By its very definition, no it is not the kind of stuff that gives hunting a bad name.

Do you not know what it means or is there a portion of it you dont understand?

FTW...lol (&%ck the wolves) All kidding aside I do not disagree with a sensible plan on managing the wolf population, but don't do NOTHING and let the elk herds and ranchers' cattle get desimated while the afore-mentioned treehugging bunny humpers take their sweet ass time trying to come up with a solution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...while the afore-mentioned treehugging bunny humpers take their sweet ass time trying to come up with a solution. </div></div>

Trust me.. the only viable option in the minds of the "treehugging bunny humpers" is to populate the entire United States with wolves, mountain lions and grizzlies so we can all learn to live in harmony and bliss with nature. They have no interest whatsoever in what they see as the senseless murder (wildlife management) of wolves.

This is where cooler heads must prevail and sort through the emotional rhetoric (and also why SSS has become the defacto standard.) There is NO reasoning with these idiots (and the political pawns that do their bidding).

I personally believe that if you want to lobby for the preservation of wolves, you should be required to spend a winter in the Bitterroot in a tent. Let's see how that works out. There will be harmony and bliss all right. Hippie harmony with Lupus digestive tract and wolves in well-fed bliss.

John